PDA

View Full Version : 2nd time around. Willing to answer questions.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-12-2016, 23:17
Ga-Me 2017 Hopeful here. Heading out from Springer early Mar. Hiked the trail in 09'. I'm starting this thread to answer questions any of my former 2017 thru's may have. I don't have all the answers, but I do have experience.

Carpe Dien

Hike your own Hike. :-)

Shrewd
10-13-2016, 11:12
Not exactly the question you're talking about, but, why the AT twice instead of, say, the PCT?

that said, are you a tenter or a hammocker?

DuneElliot
10-13-2016, 11:16
Not exactly the question you're talking about, but, why the AT twice instead of, say, the PCT?

that said, are you a tenter or a hammocker?

I'm curious about this too

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-13-2016, 19:29
Couple reasons for A.T. X 2. Main reason is I did not complete my thru the first time. Doesn't take away my 2000+ miles but I still want to make Kathadin. Comfortability is another reason. Knowing exactly what to expect I plan on doing the trail much more efficiently this time. Last time wasn't even really planning on a thru and did no research just kinda jumped in head first with a friend. As extreme as it is you kinda get your hand held as you walk the A.T. and really looking forward to enjoying my hike and taking my time. PCT is a future goal of mine for sure. Lost job recently, wasn't even planning on hiking the A.T. again so soon but always have told people I was gonna do it again. Right this time.

AfterParty
10-13-2016, 20:01
I'm planning to go in 18! But I'll remember is thread. Good idea.

Tipi Walter
10-13-2016, 20:06
I wouldn't worry about it. I've done the same trails hundreds of times and they are different and new each time. Sit under a tree and close your eyes. You're outdoors.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-13-2016, 20:21
Exacty. I expect a new experience due to people and weather and new sections of the trail. Certain McAffe's Knob and Dragon Tooth were white out for me last time I.e.

Engine
10-14-2016, 04:37
...Sit under a tree and close your eyes. You're outdoors.

Bingo! Happiness is a choice...so is satisfaction.

dudeijuststarted
10-14-2016, 05:32
I visited PCT and CDT terrain and couldn't bring myself prioritize it, though I'd like to thru or lash the AT again sooner than later. For me, its having grown up in the Appalachians that makes the AT home for me. Sleeping somewhere in the green tunnel in a hammock is heaven for me. Its a personal thing.

Engine
10-14-2016, 05:42
When did you start last time?

Much of my curiosity centers around early March weather and being adequately prepared for the possible conditions. Since we've paired our base weight WAY DOWN when I pick up my pack it seems awfully light when viewed against possible weather extremes. My research says it's okay, but I haven't ever hiked in winter conditions without the old 45-pound load.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-14-2016, 07:21
I started Apr. 3 last time. Would have had plenty of time but took 9 days off for a knee injury and trail days. Then ran low on money and got off trail in NY for 3 weeks for a job. Could have finished early Sep. Anyways so I really want to take my time and take a whole bunch of zeroes this time without worrying about time constraints so that's why the early start. There's another reason but It's a secret! Trail Magic related.