PDA

View Full Version : What is on order?

freys
10-13-2016, 12:23
Now that I am in the final stages of my gear list packages are showing up weekly. All those things I wanted but didn't flip the bill on before because what I had worked.

Earlier this week got my carbon fiber poles and today my zpacks food bag should arrive. :)

AfterParty
10-13-2016, 14:18
Ahh the stockpile of gear I'm waiting on a few hammock things to arrive it has me going nuts I think once everything arrives I will have my kit ready to be tested in the good ole outside. And some training can begin. I have been sorting my kit for a few months and I think I'm getting close to being ready.

Engine
10-13-2016, 14:33
For about 6 weeks it got so bad my postal delivery driver would just knock and door and laugh as she walked back to the vehicle...

One Half
10-13-2016, 23:13
We are waiting on a freeze dryer. :banana
Not thru hiking this year and not just for backpacking meals. It's really a part of our total lifestyle/health/eating plan.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-14-2016, 10:06
Already have bought tent, pack, groundmat, poles, water purification, pack cover, Crocs, stove kit minus fuel, rain pants, bear bag.

Big items I'm lacking are sleeping bag and footwear. I have my bag picked out already and can't wait to order it in a couple weeks.
The Sea to Summit Spark Sp1. It's a 800 loft ultra dry goose down bag that weighs about 12 ounces and packs 1.55 liters! The sp1 is only rated for 42 degrees but I will be combining that with one of the StS bag liners to add warmth for the cold months.

Still undecided on footwear.

,,Other than that my list is down to clothing layers, headlamp, rain jacket, down jacket, platypus. Titanium spork, knife, some rope, Maybe an extra dry bag....? And last but not least a trail guide.

Deacon
10-14-2016, 11:13
We are waiting on a freeze dryer. :banana
Not thru hiking this year and not just for backpacking meals. It's really a part of our total lifestyle/health/eating plan.

A freeze dryer? May I ask how much that costs?

Zendoutsu
10-14-2016, 17:20
Nothing on order , it's all here. Sure was a busy Sept as a bag, 2 quilts and a new hammock all arrived.

AfterParty
10-14-2016, 21:12
My fancy feast stove came today hopefully my hammock comes back from alterations tomorrow. Still waiting on my under quilt from EE. Can't be much longer now. I have a trip planned asap.

SkeeterPee
10-14-2016, 21:27
I have a couple evernew water bags on order. What I don't understand is why they always seem to be backlogged 2 months. Is this a very small company?

Cheyou
10-15-2016, 06:17
The Sea to Summit Spark Sp1. It's a 800 loft ultra dry goose down bag that weighs about 12 ounces and packs 1.55 liters! The sp1 is only rated for 42 degrees but I will be combining that with one of the StS bag liners to add warmth for the cold months.

Wow 42° bag wouldn't be warm enough fit me in the cold months.

thom

heatherfeather
10-15-2016, 10:55
Already have bought tent, pack, groundmat, poles, water purification, pack cover, Crocs, stove kit minus fuel, rain pants, bear bag.

Big items I'm lacking are sleeping bag and footwear. I have my bag picked out already and can't wait to order it in a couple weeks.

Still undecided on footwear.

,,Other than that my list is down to clothing layers, headlamp, rain jacket, down jacket, platypus. Titanium spork, knife, some rope, Maybe an extra dry bag....? And last but not least a trail guide.

I would strongly consider a lower rated sleeping bag, especially if you are starting in march, or pushing into late September. The liners are optimistic in their warmth ratings. You can get a warmer rated bag for less combined weight than the 42deg bag plus weight of the liner. I sleep warm, and would consider a 30deg bag minimum, 20 if you don't sleep like a furnace. Plus, the spark bags are a quite tight fit. Though this is good for retaining heat, keep in mind that you won't necessarily have room to wear a jacket comfortably inside of it, which reduces your range of comfortable temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-15-2016, 14:29
I would strongly consider a lower rated sleeping bag, especially if you are starting in march, or pushing into late September. The liners are optimistic in their warmth ratings. You can get a warmer rated bag for less combined weight than the 42deg bag plus weight of the liner. I sleep warm, and would consider a 30deg bag minimum, 20 if you don't sleep like a furnace. Plus, the spark bags are a quite tight fit. Though this is good for retaining heat, keep in mind that you won't necessarily have room to wear a jacket comfortably inside of it, which reduces your range of comfortable temps.

Thanks feather. I may think about the sp2 or even downgrading to suck down for the roomier/cheaper trek series from StS.

I really do do appreciate these thought out responses. ����

Venchka
10-15-2016, 14:50

"You have much to learn, Grasshopper."
Wayne

Venchka
10-15-2016, 14:58
Down fill power, expressed in cubic inches per ounce, has no relationship or bearing on loft, expressed in inches.
Loft keeps you warm, or not, if you don't have enough loft. Most manufacturers don't tell you the loft figure for their sleeping bags or quilts anymore. Those who do are on the upper end of the quality scale.
Enjoy.
Wayne

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-15-2016, 16:05
[QUOTE=Venchka;2098445]"You have much to learn, Grasshopper."
Wayne

Trying to improve my hike the second time around. I like your second response, but this one seems kinda childish, the type of responses that draw people away from whiteblaze.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or what. Constructive critisism is welcome. I admit I still have a lot to learn about hiking. But the use of the term "grasshopper" is kind of demeaning towards me and pompous on your end.. Especially to one who has already "hopped" from Ga-Me.

AfterParty
10-15-2016, 16:35
Got my hammock back today!!! My mail lady called me and told me I have a package and she would be here at 10am. Now that's service.

Venchka
10-15-2016, 20:05
Wayne

Trying to improve my hike the second time around. I like your second response, but this one seems kinda childish, the type of responses that draw people away from whiteblaze.

Not sure if you're trying to be funny or what. Constructive critisism is welcome. I admit I still have a lot to learn about hiking. But the use of the term "grasshopper" is kind of demeaning towards me and pompous on your end.. Especially to one who has already "hopped" from Ga-Me.

A reference to an old tv show. Too old I guess.
Others have said the same thing: Your projected sleep system is deficient. Liners are a waste of ounces and dollars. Theoretically, you could layer two quilts at the start in the coldest weather. Send the lighter one home for in between weather and trade for the lightest one during summer. Reverse the process in New England.
All of this has been discussed at length here. Just Bill is a good source. Look for his posts.
Good luck. I did get your attention.
Wayne

sydneywaffa
10-18-2016, 15:21
Unfortunately prettymuch everything is on order. Just ordered an ee quilt and I'm about to buy a tent or silshelter. Half of my proposed gear list isn't here yet, though most of it is lightweight versions of what I've got so

sydneywaffa
10-18-2016, 15:24
I last post didn't save the last sentence or 2, so here's the rest: I'm not too worried about trying it all out. I'm also still scraping the cash together. When I did my budgeting I should be leaving with around $3000 and a bit of emergency, but things are going to be tight.

Fireplug
10-18-2016, 15:49
MARCH 13th is on order. When does it get here?

scrabbler
10-18-2016, 16:03

Im interested to know too - cheapest I've seen them is around $10,000.00.

One Half
10-18-2016, 16:04

Harvest Right $3K plus shipping

carouselambra
10-18-2016, 16:06
Wayne

Check out Kwai Chang Caine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwai_Chang_Caine) for the grasshopper reference.

scrabbler
10-18-2016, 16:38
Harvest Right $3K plus shipping
Very cool, please post an update at some point I'd love to hear how you like it.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-18-2016, 20:05
Geese Louise I get the reference, and still don't appreciate it.

One Half
10-18-2016, 20:10
Very cool, please post an update at some point I'd love to hear how you like it.

hopefully it gets here this week. I will post as we make and eat meals.

Venchka
10-18-2016, 21:05
[QUOTE=GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09;2098454]

Check out Kwai Chang Caine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kwai_Chang_Caine) for the grasshopper reference.

I'm glad that I'm not alone who remembers an original TV program. They are rare.
Wayne

rafe
10-18-2016, 23:50
Nothing. On order, that is.

Been thinking about ordering a Pendleton wool shirt. Or possibly (more likely) going the cheapie route, an acrylic flannel shirt from blair.com.

If there's something better than Sorrel boots for winter hiking, I'd give it serious consideration. (Any suggestions?)

JEgestad
10-19-2016, 05:06
got 4 packages on the post office now, they are starting to laugh when they see me, as i am kinda a regular there a few times a month for all kind of stuff, only few things i missed, so now it just the clothes part but thats a touch and feel process

freys
10-19-2016, 18:42
now it just the clothes part but thats a touch and feel process

I have no idea at all how women normally shop but I feel so stupid walking in the store touching all the clothes finding just the right stuff and actually trying it on in the store for this trip. If It is going to be my one and only of each thing for 6 months I better fall in love when it touches my hand. LOL

scrabbler
10-19-2016, 19:34
I havent thru hiked, but I've hiked enough to know what works for me and what doesnt, and I could leave tomorrow for a thru hike with the gear I have. It's evolved quite a bit. Things that were once "mandatory" in my mind I havent used but once. Things I scoffed at, I cant leave home now. What's my point? Mass buying for a thru hike is probably a waste of your time and money. Get out and do some actual hiking and camping with what you have - if it works, you dont need a new version of it. If it doesnt, then go shopping. Then use it. Did it hold up? Will it break in a week? Too heavy or unnecessary? You get the idea. There's a good amount of time between now and spring - use it to actually use gear. I know, it's more fun to shop and read reviews.... but that wont get you down the trail when push comes to shove.

{Edit} Also, while it's cold out, and raining, try out your gear. Sleep out. Multiple nights. Walk some miles. Alone. Is it for you? Your gear working?

freys
10-19-2016, 20:38
scrabbler getting new gear for our thru hike is not the same as needing everything. It is about buying those items you have eyed but never purchased because what you had worked. This BIG hike is another deal and everyone buys lavish things. For instance I wouldn't buy wool base layers for anything but this as all my synthetic has worked fine. I could make do with what I have but why shouldn't I buy stuff that will make my trip a little nicer.

JEgestad
10-20-2016, 03:02
I have no idea at all how women normally shop but I feel so stupid walking in the store touching all the clothes finding just the right stuff and actually trying it on in the store for this trip. If It is going to be my one and only of each thing for 6 months I better fall in love when it touches my hand. LOL

haha i am not a girl :) but for something that is going to be used so long and for this need to be good :)

One Half
10-20-2016, 18:31
My new vacuum sealer got here! Freeze dryer is scheduled to be delivered Saturday!

rocketsocks
10-20-2016, 18:35
My new vacuum sealer got here! Freeze dryer is scheduled to be delivered Saturday!freeze dryer, do tell? Been seeing them advertised lately on the boob tube.

freys
10-24-2016, 11:20
Got 2 smartwool tops. 250 crew for sleep and a base 190 1/4 zip to wear. Only upgrade left is my sleeping pad. Waiting to see what comes out new for that.

One Half
10-24-2016, 18:01
freeze dryer, do tell? Been seeing them advertised lately on the boob tube.

Harvest Right sells them. We are probably going to run our first test load starting Wednesday. Some home made ice cream (no sugar, we use monk fruit), scrambled eggs, maybe some baked chicken breasts (we can't have a grill where we are) amd maybe some leftovers from dinner the next couple nights.

One Half
10-24-2016, 18:01
Harvest Right sells them. We are probably going to run our first test load starting Wednesday. Some home made ice cream (no sugar, we use monk fruit), scrambled eggs, maybe some baked chicken breasts (we can't have a grill where we are) amd maybe some leftovers from dinner the next couple nights.

I will start a thread when I start getting some results.

AfterParty
10-24-2016, 18:21
I ordered more hammock stuff...I had to mass buy because I had no backpacking stuff and then I went to a hammock and started halfway over. It is for me the first step buy gear, step 2 use gear and save money, get life in order step3 hike AT.

rocketsocks
10-24-2016, 18:22
Harvest Right sells them. We are probably going to run our first test load starting Wednesday. Some home made ice cream (no sugar, we use monk fruit), scrambled eggs, maybe some baked chicken breasts (we can't have a grill where we are) amd maybe some leftovers from dinner the next couple nights.Nice! i've since found it and gone to there website, nice machine, would enjoy hearing how it performs over time, good luck havin' fun with it.

Oventoasted
10-25-2016, 00:30
Just ordered myself a Black Bird Hammock and an Enlightened Enigma quilt! Did some thinking and felt that my North Face Quartz 22 tent and North Face Bighorn sleeping bag were not only old but heavy. Getting excited for next year!! :banana:)

trailmercury
10-31-2016, 11:50
I last post didn't save the last sentence or 2, so here's the rest: I'm not too worried about trying it all out. I'm also still scraping the cash together. When I did my budgeting I should be leaving with around $3000 and a bit of emergency, but things are going to be tight.

Good luck to you, but I would budget quite a bit more money, even if it meant delaying the hike a year...
The trail isn't going anywhere...I've been wanting to thru-hike for 18 yrs, and the chips finally fell in place for 2017
Just my two cents...

DuneElliot
10-31-2016, 16:04
I finally decided to bite the bullet on SMD's 2014 Fusion 50. I have a backpack I love (Arc Haul) and was really surprised to see SMD still has some of the Fusions left, but for the price and reviews I decided I couldn't not get one...even if I sell it later, or just have it for a friend to use. I like that it is supposed to be good for heavier loads than my haul is rated for. I guess we'll see. Now, what to do with that unused ULA Circuit I don't need!

AfterParty
10-31-2016, 16:55
I got my under quilt in the mail. I'm waiting on my dream hammock 4449 now. Should be the very last thing I am waiting for and looks to be 2 weeks out... Probably my most exciting wait.

DuneElliot
10-31-2016, 17:00
Oh, also waiting on Black Friday to order some hammock quilts.

Nothing to do with backpacking, but I have a new drinking horn tankard on the way too. Now THAT'S exciting.

trailmercury
10-31-2016, 17:03
I finally decided to bite the bullet on SMD's 2014 Fusion 50. I have a backpack I love (Arc Haul) and was really surprised to see SMD still has some of the Fusions left, but for the price and reviews I decided I couldn't not get one...even if I sell it later, or just have it for a friend to use. I like that it is supposed to be good for heavier loads than my haul is rated for. I guess we'll see. Now, what to do with that unused ULA Circuit I don't need!
I bought a Fusion as well. Still prefer my Arc Haul in Dyneema...I never used the pack and left the tags on the Fusion, for a potential "new with Tags" resale later...the shoulder harness doesn't fit my son either so I had get him an Osprey kids pack....

SkraM
10-31-2016, 17:25
I odered a Dream Hammock, Sparrow and a Underground Quilt, Zeppelin, 20 degree underquilt a few days ago. Now the hard part...waiting.

Oventoasted
11-06-2016, 11:19
All my gear is in except for the Enlightened Equipment quilts i ordered. I knew they would take the longest and the holiday times are not helping with that. Getting all antsy and its still 100 days away till i head out to springer.

Seeing all the stuff i want to get out there and give it all a good test run but cant really do that without the quilts this time of year, haha! :D