PDA

View Full Version : Favorite 2lb or under pack?

DrewNC2005
01-12-2006, 22:12
I have a 3.5 lb pack and am thinking about dropping to a lighter pack. I have heard good things about the Granite Gear Vapor Trail and am very interested in one. However if others have really liked using other packs, I would like to know.

I have looked at some GoLite packs but hear that they do not hold up very well and tear up easily. Anyone had experience with GoLite packs?

Thanks,
Drew

calearn
01-12-2006, 23:30
For packs between one and two pounds, I like ULA and Golite.

I own several Golite packs. I find the adventure racing packs don't hold up as well but the Trekking and Mountain Packs are rock solid for durability, especially the Gust and Jam. My father's Gust has been on two thru hikes and still performs wonderful.

Nameless
01-12-2006, 23:36
All my experience with go light packs is visual...

They dont look comfortable. There is nothing supporting the stuff inside and there is no padding on the sholder or hip belts.

For less weight you can get a very comfortable Moonbow Gearskin with a full custom hip belt and sholder straps. The whole backpack compresses together to form one tight package that is its own frame. I have had mine for a summer and was beyond impressed by it. It was very very comfortable and light.

Pink

verber
01-13-2006, 03:03
Vapor trail: I really like the carry comfort of the granite gear vapor trail, though it isn't the most conveniant pack to use.

GoLite durability: My experience is that GoLite packs tend to be reasonable well made. I wouldn't worry more about GoLite than other packs made of simular materials. You will have to be fairly careful of abrassion with the sil-nylon packs. In general, I have found packs made by other companies have better carry comfortable than GoLite.

Other packs: There are a lot to choose between. The packs I like (and not like so much) are listed with mini reviews at http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/pack.html

--mark

wyclif
01-13-2006, 03:40
I saw blurb on the Granite Gear website claiming that 40% of AT hikers last year used these.

True or just marketing hype?

PKH
01-13-2006, 05:53
Six Moon Designs offers several fine packs under 2 pounds.

Cheers,

PKH

jlb2012
01-13-2006, 08:39
Gearskin: 1.5 pounds and it can handle heavier loads than most other lightweight packs

neo
01-13-2006, 10:28
i love my equinox katahdin,1 lb 9 oz :cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=6054&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2010

Footslogger
01-13-2006, 10:39
Another vote for the Vapor Trail. I haven't carried any of the other 2 or sub 2 pound packs so I can't compare them but I have over 2000 miles in my Vapor Trail and now my wife hikes with one too.

'Slogger

Squeaky 2
01-13-2006, 12:20
i used the golite speed and found it to fall apart very easily. also youhave to sew on pads to the shoulders or you face a bitch of a ride. it was very well organised though and easy to get to things without unpacking. i hear good things about ula gear, but no experience there. i used the granite gear pack for 4,000 miles this year and it was awesome, but it was the ozone which is a step from the virga. i also used a kelty redwing 1600 that i stripped to about 1lb, that was awesome.

Squeaky 2
01-13-2006, 12:25
oh yeah, i heard that mountain hardware are bringing out packs this year and from what i hear they are going to be killer! so check them out aswell. if they are as good as the rest of thier gear then i would hate to be a pack manufacturer in 06!

EMAN
01-13-2006, 16:09
I'm using the GoLite Trek. No real problems yet.

JoeHiker
01-13-2006, 17:14
I vote for the Vapor Trail as well. Only bad part about it is that the side pockets are useless.

betic4lyf
01-13-2006, 19:26
i was doing some trail work on the at and most of the people i saw (in the berkshires) had vaport trails

jasonklass
01-13-2006, 20:53
Golite Jam. If you pack it right, it's really comfortable even though it doesn't have a frame.

vipahman
01-13-2006, 22:54
Golite Jam. 21 oz. 2200ci main body. Great pack. Rated upto 30 lbs. I have had it in the 18-22 lbs and it's very comfortable. And I hate uncomfortable packs. It seems fairly rugged for a pack it's weight and it's waist belt actually works.

This link has a comprehensive list of sub-pound backpacks. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11964

Whistler
01-13-2006, 23:06
My favorite is also the GoLite Jam, but it might be outside of your volume and carrying capacity needs. The Trek is also nice. The materials and workmanship of GoLite packs is certainly competitive with other manufacturers--but the designs may be less forgiving of inattentive packing or overloading.

You should check out the offerings from Six Moon Designs, specifically the Starlite and Comet. Good accessibility with stays and pad support. The ULA Conduit is probably also worth your attention.

-Mark

Just Jeff
01-13-2006, 23:32
I've been happy with my GoLite Speed. A few hundred miles and it hasn't fallen apart. It's rated to 30 lbs - comfy to about that, tolerable to about 40. Big enough to hold everything but small enough to not let me go crazy with extra stuff. Someone on another thread said they needed to sew padding to the straps - might have been nice at 40 lbs, but then it's only rated to 30...never needed more padding at the ~25 I usually carry.

I really like all of the mesh pockets - tarp and raingear in the big back one, waterbottles and snacks in the bottom side ones, TP and first aid in the top ones, etc. Plenty of organization for very little added weight, and I've never had anything fall out of them.

Works for me, but I'm also very intereted in the Gearskin...might be my next pack purchase (or project).

FWIW, I tried two Vapor Trails in the store and neither were comfortable before I even loaded them. They seem to be popular with other folks, though.