PDA

View Full Version : Freeze-dried food/Water pufication

Irish
01-12-2006, 22:13
Hello folks, I plan to start my thru-hike on Mar. 20. I expect to use a Jetboil stove and was wondering if anyone had info on the availability of freeze-dried food (Mountain House, Backpacker's Pantry etc.). Which is better for clean water, tablets or filter? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks, IrishNY.

Peaks
01-13-2006, 09:43
First, I suggest before asking a question here, do some research on prior posts. I suspect you will find lots of discussion on both.

Availability of freeze dried foods? Most outfitters carry them, and most grocery stores do not. So, if you read the ALDHA Companion, or Wingfoot's handbook, it tells you where the outfitters are.

Water purification: Some filter, some use chemicals, some do something different. There is no one right answer for everyone.

neo
01-13-2006, 10:31
Hello folks, I plan to start my thru-hike on Mar. 20. I expect to use a Jetboil stove and was wondering if anyone had info on the availability of freeze-dried food (Mountain House, Backpacker's Pantry etc.). Which is better for clean water, tablets or filter? Any feedback will be much appreciated. Thanks, IrishNY.

i used a jet boil and its great,i stayed at the president of jet boils house in october 2005 here are a few of my jetboil pics:cool: neo

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9043&catid=member&imageuser=3462

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7104&catid=member&imageuser=3462

snowhoe
01-13-2006, 13:06
I think you should go on a couple of over night trips and try some differnt stuff. See what works good for you. I like to filter my water but alot of guys I hike with dont, they use the chemicals or just boil the water. As for food, try making up your own recipies. Mountain House although does make a awesoooooome rasberry crumble. Good luck and hope to see ya out there.

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:38
I like to use mountainhouse as well, you can purchase in bulk directly from the MH website. As for water puification, I shy away from using the tablets because they impart an unpleasent taste to the water, and long term use is not reccomended if you enjoy the use of your liver. the miox is about 120 bucks and the smallest most efficient device I could come up with. You might check out that, as well as the steri-pen, although the battery life of the miox is like 7 years. Really low maitnence.

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:39
First, I suggest before asking a question here, do some research on prior posts. I suspect you will find lots of discussion on both.

Availability of freeze dried foods? Most outfitters carry them, and most grocery stores do not. So, if you read the ALDHA Companion, or Wingfoot's handbook, it tells you where the outfitters are.

Water purification: Some filter, some use chemicals, some do something different. There is no one right answer for everyone.
Let him ask his question, what's the big deal? You don't have to respond if you think it's redundant.

longshank
01-13-2006, 14:39
I like to use mountainhouse as well, you can purchase in bulk directly from the MH website. As for water puification, I shy away from using the tablets because they impart an unpleasent taste to the water, and long term use is not reccomended if you enjoy the use of your liver. the miox is about 120 bucks and the smallest most efficient device I could come up with. You might check out that, as well as the steri-pen, although the battery life of the miox is like 7 years. Really low maitnence.
msr miox pen, that is.

Seeker
01-13-2006, 14:59
iodine might be bad for you long term.

AquaMira is used in municipal water systems, has no aftertaste, but is more expensive.

TACKLE
01-13-2006, 16:27
I suggest a filter.I used a "Press to Pure" from Brigade catalog.It worked great and was really light.Plus it's a 28 oz.water bottle.You do have to change the filter cap after about 45-60 days of use though.Carry a 2 liter bladder and purify when you want,away from the bugs!

Irish
01-13-2006, 19:11
Thank you one and all. My last backpack (10 days in August) was the Wonderland trail around Mt. Rainier in Washington State. I used and loved the Jetboil. I used a First Need filter for water and think it might be a bit bulky for the AT. I may try Aqua Mira. TACKLE, thanks for the tip on "Press to Pure" - I've never heard of it. Can you tell me where I can find some info on it. Thanks again, lads and lasses. Looking forward to meeting you uys on the Trail, IrishNY

Brock
01-17-2006, 13:43
I used Polar Pure as a chemical water treatment. Very cheap and will last a very long time. The bottle is glass which is very heavy.

As for JetBoiling your meals, most people I saw ditched their JetBoil in the warmer months, but were loving it in cold weather. I admit, it is a neat device and much nicer than a popcan alcohol stove.
I would NOT go with dehydrated meals. First, you would need to buy in bulk ahead of time and then mail them to you up the trail. This creates a lot of unnecessary hastle and why not at this point, make your own meals and dehydrate them months in advance? Secondly, I would just buy food at regular stores up the trial. It is the easiest way and will give you a good mix of food you eat over 6 months.

restless
01-17-2006, 14:11
the miox is about 120 bucks and the smallest most efficient device I could come up with. You might check out that, as well as the steri-pen, although the battery life of the miox is like 7 years. Really low maitnence.
Having worked at a popular outfitter on the trail, I can attest that many thru hikers found the MIOX to be not quite worth it's price. It does do everything that it claims to do, and is fairly easy to use and is low maintenance. However, most people I know that used it, found that moisture would get inside the battery compartment cause corrosion fairly easy, rendering their sole means of purification useless. I saw several of these come back to the store as defective. I'm not sure if MSR has changed anything, but I think you could find something nore dependable for a lot less cash.