PDA

View Full Version : How can I convince the Army to let me hike long distance again?

Wolf - 23000
01-13-2006, 01:41
Ok here the deal, as some of you may know I use to hike long distance every year before I join the U.S. Army. Scene then (nearly 7 year now) I have not hiked more than a couple hundred miles here and there.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
Last year I reenlisted on the conduction I be allowed to take 30 days off in January to hike the state of <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Maine</st1:State></st1:place>. I end up fill out 27 pages just to take a vacation. After it was over my 1SGT loved my picture and even asked to use some as his desktop.
<o:p> </o:p>
That was only 30 days. I am dying to hike long distance again. Any service men/women out there have any suggesting on how I can hike again for maybe 60 days or so. I have the leave time.

Wolf

fiddlehead
01-13-2006, 03:49
Good luck Wolf. OF course the Army should know that they have one of the best hikers in you. Amazing they are not taking advantage of that fact. But do get them to let you do what you want? NOw c'mon, that's the US Army you're talking about.
When i went in the Navy,(1968) I had pretty much experience in electronics (for an 18 year old) and told them so. I asked to get a job related to electronics and the recruiter said: sure, no problem!
I ended up as a lower level bilge pump maintainer and rarely saw the sky, let alone any electronics.
perhaps when you get out, you'll be able to do what you want.
Take care Wolf, i'll see you at the gathering in the fall!

neo
01-13-2006, 10:34
i was in the us navy 78-82,basically they owned me or leased me for 4 years:cool: neo

sliderule
01-13-2006, 10:57
Just think, if you give them 13 more years you can hike all you want. And they will still send you a check every month. You can't beat it.

But in the mean time, maybe you should remind them that it's an "Army of one" these days. Let them know that you really need to have it your way!!!

icemanat95
01-13-2006, 11:37
You signed the contract and raised your hand, that means you accepted the fact that the Army essentially owns your skinny butt until you ETS. Suck it up. Your contract requirements are also pretty much at the convenience of the service. Your ETS date is flexible according to the needs of the service...they can hold onto you as long as they need you during times of national emergency and there isn't anything you can do about it. They can cancel your leave, recall you from leave and send you to war. That's what you agreed to when you signed up and you've got no arguments about your understanding of that after you re-enlisted.

Just keep saving up your leave and delay gratification for a while. When you ETS, you'll have enough leave banked up to cash in and hike worry free for a good long time.

Suck it up soldier, those of us who served, all went through a similar loss of liberty, what makes you any different?

Ender
01-13-2006, 11:49
Suck it up soldier, those of us who served, all went through a similar loss of liberty, what makes you any different?

Wow, that was overly harsh, don't you think?

As far as getting the time for a full long distance hike while in the military, chances are it's just not going to happen until you're out. You were fortunate that they allowed you to take the 30 days. I like icemans suggestion to save up your leave time and cash it in at the end to finance your next hike. Do that and you can hike in style.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2006, 11:54
Why the hell did you re-up?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2006, 11:57
Go UA or AWOL. You'll get your walking papers.

Rain Man
01-13-2006, 12:00
...they can hold onto you as long as they need you during times of national emergency and there isn't anything you can do about it. ....

Sadly true, especially since it doesn't even have to be a real national emergency.

When i went in the Navy,(1968) I had pretty much experience in electronics (for an 18 year old) and told them so. I asked to get a job related to electronics and the recruiter said: sure, no problem!
I ended up as a lower level bilge pump maintainer and rarely saw the sky, let alone any electronics.

Well, you know, "Truth, Justice, and The American Way" might mean something just slightly different to the military?

Rain:sunMan

weary
01-13-2006, 12:05
...Suck it up soldier, those of us who served, all went through a similar loss of liberty, what makes you any different?
Well, here's one ex-soldier who was different. He volunteered. I didn't. But the rules were the same.

Actually, I could have gotten out a bit early. I served for 18 months before being "promoted" to private first class. Being in the MP's I had access to all the regulations and knew the regs said they only had 12 months to promote me or discharge me. I didn't press the point because I was enjoying patrolling the streets of Ayer and Lowell. MA and other places around Fort Devens, and figured I would build up GI Bill college money until they tried to send me someplace that used live bullets.

They eventually did that, but I found another regulation that said I couldn't go overseas with less than six months to serve. I had only 5 months and 29 days.

The Army, even in those good old days, wouldn't let me take that five months and 29 days for a long distance hike. But for three months I bounced around the Seattle area, exploring Rainier, boating on Puget Sound, and visiting a lot of bars, especially patriotic bars with patrons that "would do anything" for us valiant soldiers.

Weary

Spartan Hiker
01-13-2006, 12:15
That was only 30 days. I am dying to hike long distance again. Any service men/women out there have any suggesting on how I can hike again for maybe 60 days or so. I have the leave time.

Wolf

Sounds like the Army fulfilled its end of the agreement. Question- It's mid-January. Why are you posting this during your "30 day hike"? Seems to me like your wasting quality hiking time right now. Go hike, then get back to the soldiering you re-signed up for. I don't know your specific situation with your commander and 1SG, but most would be hard pressed to give anyone 60 days of consecutive leave, unless they were on transition leave out of the Army. You'll have other opportunities to hike while in the Army, albeit in shorter spurts.

Blister
01-13-2006, 12:43
He actually had the 30 days last January 05- you can check out his register entries through the entire state of Maine, not to mention the photos he took during the winter hike. Try fording the Kennebec in January - Effen COLD!
Hey Wolf - I really don't want to marry a man in a uniform, and walking through a wall of swords creeps me out. Are you gonna be out of the military before the wedding?????

Spartan Hiker
01-13-2006, 12:48
[quote=Blister]He actually had the 30 days last January 05- quote]

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Mags
01-13-2006, 12:52
Wow, that was overly harsh, don't you think?

Think it is point blank and great advice. What else can you do?

icemanat95
01-13-2006, 14:18
[QUOTE=Ender]Wow, that was overly harsh, don't you think?
QUOTE]

Not really.

The Army is a fairly uncompromising employer, and a soldier with 7 years in already knows that...or should. The military is rule bound. When you sign a contract you are expected to live up to the terms of that contract to the letter and the Army will do the same so long as other needs don't get in the way. But be aware that the Army will enforce the contract to the letter so be sure you know what all those letters are before you sign. What your recruiter or retension NCO tells you may not actually be on the contract, so make sure it is before you sign...once it is signed there are no guarantees you can make changes, and certainly not for something as non-essential as going for a long-distance hike. If your parents died and you needed to take some time off to put things in order, that would be different.

Jack Tarlin
01-13-2006, 17:05
Wolf--

Have you ever thought of transferring to the unit that designs and field tests packs, gear, clothing, etc.

There's been a great deal of press lately about military equipment, and how some soldiers resist wearing some items because of discomfort or weight. I'm sure some very wise heads are busy working on making new gear comfortable, lightweight, and effective. You should be one of these people.

I don't know what your present specialization is, but with your outdoors background, I think you'd be perfect to help field test new gear and equipment, and would be in a unique position to make positive suggestions and criticisms for the folks who make and improve gear. You'd be performing a valuable service to the Army, and you'd probably get to hike a good deal as well.

Spartan Hiker
01-13-2006, 18:02
Wolf--

Have you ever thought of transferring to the unit that designs and field tests packs, gear, clothing, etc.

Great idea, Jack, if you can get the gig...

http://www.arl.army.mil/main/main/default.htm

http://www.atec.army.mil/index.htm

Lots of interesting stuff going on right now, especially with infantry and spec ops development and testing.

johnny quest
01-13-2006, 19:45
jesus. is this a joke thread? lord i hope so. talk about a me generation.

if not, then go do your crying to sgt. rock. he does what hiking he can when he can, knowing the big stuff will have to come later, after his commitment.

lobster
01-13-2006, 20:18
Wolf,

Didn't you and your gilfriend try to catch up with Ward Leonard one year as he was hiking through Maine. If so, how many miles were you two putting in per day?

wren
01-13-2006, 20:39
Tell the Army that you want to patrol the US/Canada border on foot. Its one of the most poorly protected borders around isnt it? The country needs you up there soldier. Go keep those crazy canucks in line..

digger51
01-14-2006, 20:13
Wolf...get assigned to Germany. During my last tour there I was able to get out every weekend and volksmarch. These are hikes put on by the towns all over Europe. The distances are anywhere from 5 km to 100 km one day hikes. My buddies and I got in at least two 26 milers each weekend and four or five 61 milers a year. And as a reward, the food on the hikes is local and often great.

Wolf - 23000
01-17-2006, 02:03
Where to begin? First things first. Iceman I’m not going to comment on the Army in open form. I have to much respect for the service that I serve other than to say you have not been in the military recently have you?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
As for personal such as SGT Rock who is serving in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Iraq</st1:place></st1:country-region>. I wish him and everyone over there a safe and speedy return. <o:p></o:p>
Blister, say it not so!!! I’ve been so looking forward to the wedding now! Now I’m the heart broken Wolf, (again). Now I really do need a hike.<o:p></o:p>
What I am asking for is within my contract. The Army agree to give me and every service personnel 30 days leave a year (2 ½ days a month) to use including personal in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Iraq</st1:place></st1:country-region>. Rather than take a week here and there, I rather just take it all at once and “Be all I can be”.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Spartan Hiker & Jack, I am going to look into gear testing for the Army. When I first came in that what I asked for but was told the Army contracts that gear testing out rather than do their own. I found out later that wasn't true. Thanks for the links.

Wolf
</o:p>

Wolf - 23000
01-17-2006, 02:19
jesus. is this a joke thread? lord i hope so. talk about a me generation.

if not, then go do your crying to sgt. rock. he does what hiking he can when he can, knowing the big stuff will have to come later, after his commitment.

Johnny quest I sure your a decated hard worker who lives to work.

Some of us like to enjoy our vacation time off, when get it. My last vacation was over a year ago and required summitting a small book just to go even after it was approved. How hard is it for you to take a vacation?

Wolf

brz
01-17-2006, 06:34
As a former member of the 1st Bn ABN 75th RGR RGT (1/75), I do have a few suggestions from my 6 plus years beginning in the late 70's.

First, We are at war. So, as you know, there is little interest in personal interests. Afterall, you are a soldier and your JOB is defending you country. I don't think there is any Al-Queda on the trail-yet.

You ain't you no more, YOU ARE GOVERNMENT PROPERTY. (so, sniveling about being 'me' is certain to fail)

You can aquire leave at 30 days a year upto at least 60 days leave. (i.e, take no leave for 2 years.) There are ways to aquire upto 90 days talk to TOP. The only way you will get the ARMY to take all 60 days at once is TO HAVE 60 days accumulated. (Which takes two years.)

Unless you are crazy and enlisted for Active duty over your whole obligation, you have so many years of Active Duty then the rest in the Reserves.

Do NOT reenlist, go into the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR). Usually, you can take upto 6 months to a year off without any rank penalty. Talk to your SIDPERS clerk they assign you to and make a deal so they don't call you back as soon as you go into reserve. Do your Hike and then go back to Active Duty if you like.

Any sort of leave these days is basically out of the question. (medical, hardship, educational).

A VERY long shot is that you can convince your CO that you can do the trail as a form of Army Enlistment/Recruiting program. The ARMY is so desperate for NEW ideas to bolster recruitment, they may actually go for it. (Seriously)

Your CO CAN let you go do a hike. (If he has TOE which he probably doesn't) Several years ago, when the Army screwed the Ranger Battalions and took away their black beret (issuing us instead the detested "fecal" Beret), Several US Rangers and support teams - on Active duty or on leave - hiked from Springer to Washington DC on the AT in order to protest the decision. So, there is precedent.

(Its easy to accumulate leave in the Rangers as they only allow Leave briefly at specific times of year.)

In Sum, You ain't going to get your time off unless you convince the Army that its in ITS best interest to let you go. (i.e that your talent would best be put to use hiking - in which case don't be surprised if you are sent to the 10th Mtn Div. as an 11B)

Newb
01-17-2006, 08:54
Save up your leave for 2 years. Then take your 60 days of use or lose.

johnny quest
01-17-2006, 10:59
Wolf
as a matter of fact, yes i am the job. unfortunately that job is no longer u.s. marine. and that wasnt just a "job" it was the life i committed myself to, just as you have. my point is that sacrifice is what your chosen way of life is all about. the fact that you, and everyone that chooses it, has made this commitment makes you a special person, a knight, a hero. and heros always, always sacrifice.
the only time i ever was able to take more than 2 weeks leave, regardless of my time on the books, was between duty stations. otherwise you are just too important to be allowed to be gone so long. live with that, do the right thing, enjoy the time you get off, and plan for the long trips like most of us do, whether because of kids, wives, jobs or holy commitment to service...when you can.

Spartan Hiker
01-17-2006, 12:21
The ARMY is so desperate for NEW ideas to bolster recruitment, they may actually go for it. (Seriously)

I wouldn't characterize the situation as desperate. The Army is meeting its recruiting and retention goals, despite the hyperbole in some circles as to otherwise. Now, what Wolf could do, if eligible, is volunteer for recruiting duty as you suggested. That may allow him to use his passion for hiking as a method to recruit and introduce young people to backpacking and hiking. The Army Recruiting Command may very well be interested in that approach. Worth a shot.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze, BTW. Agree on the black beret issue. That one still pisses me off.

Rain Man
01-17-2006, 12:44
First, We are at war. ...

We're at war? Did I miss something? Has Congress declared war???

Rain Sun

Spartan Hiker
01-17-2006, 12:51
Has Congress declared war???

No, but they should have, instead of tip toeing around the PC crap.

johnny quest
01-17-2006, 13:09
ANYTIME american men are being shot at we are at war. that is the reality. everyone should remember that. and when those fine men are there...they should really be supported. not just given lip service.

i like these guys. www.treatsfortroops.com

Footslogger
01-17-2006, 13:16
[quote=johnny quest]ANYTIME american men are being shot at we are at war.
=================================

You got that right. Seems to me there was some confusion over this topic related to a little uprising in SE Asia back when I was wearing OD.

'Slogger

johnny quest
01-17-2006, 13:24
i cant imagine what it must have been like to come home to the reception many vietnam vets recieved. when i came back to the states in 84 i remember going to a mall and after watching women fight over cabbage patch dolls in the toy store met a girl who, when i said i had just returned from beirut asked what had happened in beirut. it made me sad and mad. im so happy that the men and women today are being treated...by most of the country....so much better.

Footslogger
01-17-2006, 13:30
[quote=johnny quest]when i came back to the states in 84 i remember going to a mall and after watching women fight over cabbage patch dolls in the toy store met a girl who, when i said i had just returned from beirut asked what had happened in beirut.
=================================================
Wierd part about it back in the 70's was that the average person knew what had happened but many of them despised the US Military for what we had done ?? Go Figure ...

But hey, this thread is about a soldier who wants to go hiking ...

'Slogger

Ender
01-17-2006, 14:18
[QUOTE=johnny quest]ANYTIME american men are being shot at we are at war. that is the reality. QUOTE]

Not to be glib, but by this definition, America has been at war pretty much since it's inception. So, I don't really think that this is a really accurate description. Some soldiers get shot at when there's not a war on, and it's that much harder for them. You have to respect all soldiers for doing a hard job, but especially doing that job in the grey murkiness of politics.

greentick
01-17-2006, 14:59
wolf, I think the best idea so far is volunteering for <ugh> recruiter duty. It would probably be easier to get the 30 stretch off and you probably could get funds to take potentials out for hikes/overnighters. Give em a ruck, some canteens and a poncho. Hold fireside warstory telling at night etc. Otherwise you are at the mercy of your unit.

To you and the others who replied, thanks for serving.

johnny quest
01-17-2006, 15:13
there is no murkiness when your being shot at.
i wont take what you said seriously.

Ender
01-17-2006, 18:33
there is no murkiness when your being shot at.
i wont take what you said seriously.

Well then aren't you just the open mided sort open to discussion.

I don't mean that they aren't getting shot at, and to imply that I'm saying they shouldn't defend themselves is, quite frankly, untrue. What I'm saying is that there's a difference between war and battle, and to not distinguish between the two does the soldiers a disservice, especially when not doing so puts them in a more difficult position. I think it helps the soldiers to define, as much as possible, what situation they are in as accuratly as possible. And of course, when they are being shot at, they should defend themselves 100%. But getting shot at doesn't necessarily make it a war, though certainly a battle.

Wolf - 23000
01-17-2006, 23:49
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
For everyone who suggested volunteering for recruiting duty, I already have order to become a Drill SGT. To meet the requirements as a Drill SGT I extended my ETS date just to be postponed several time now through no fault of my own. My ETS date would now be almost a year longer than the contract I sign.
I’m not trying to avoid my responsibility or get out of my contract. Before dealing with a bunch of new recruits I need a hike. My current job makes it very difficult to hike for more than a couple of hours.
Wolf

icemanat95
01-18-2006, 00:45
Sounds like you should have an opportunity for a PCS break between your current duty and your Drill Sargeant assignment. You should be able to get at least a couple of weeks, maybe more.

bfitz
01-18-2006, 03:22
Shoot yourself in the foot!

SkipMeister
01-19-2006, 21:37
You are probably out of luck for truly long distance hiking. In my 8.5 years in there was no way any unit I was with would do that. 30 days was the most consecutive time I ever had. If you do find yourself in Europe see if your unit could get into the Nijmegan marches in Holland. Lot's of time off for training to do a 4 day 100 mile march. Great place to meet alot of other troops from other countries and have a good time and get paid for it!

digger51
01-20-2006, 13:30
SkipMeister...I participated in Nijmegan in 1974, it was a blast. Hiked all over Europe for several months as training.

Footslogger
01-20-2006, 13:39
SkipMeister...I participated in Nijmegan in 1974, it was a blast. Hiked all over Europe for several months as training.
==========================================
Curious ...do the people in Nijmegan still revere the American soldiers ?? I was over there in the late 60's and hitched around alot up in Holland. Got a ride from a family who had lived through the whole D-Day thing and just couldn't do enough for me. They insisted on taking me home to their farm, feeding me dinner and giving me a place to sleep and then driving me back out to the highway in the morning to continue my journey.

Great folks !!

'Slogger

Seeker
01-20-2006, 18:51
Any service men/women out there have any suggesting on how I can hike again for maybe 60 days or so. I have the leave time.

Wolf

when i got out in 1995, i had accrued 82 days... as i recall, the max you can carry is 90... that's enough for half a hike, anyway!

Sly
01-20-2006, 18:58
when i got out in 1995, i had accrued 82 days... as i recall, the max you can carry is 90... that's enough for half a hike, anyway!

Half for most. 90 would be enough for Wolf. It's only 25 mpd! ;)

Spartan Hiker
01-20-2006, 21:22
==========================================
Curious ...do the people in Nijmegan still revere the American soldiers ??

'Slogger
Absolutely. They still have liberation marches and festivities in the summer and fall.

Old Spice
03-11-2006, 22:02
Wolf, what do they have you do when you're on duty? Is there any chance you'll get shipped out somewhere... or have you already?

Wolf - 23000
03-12-2006, 04:21
Old Spice,

I currently work on computers. I have order to go to Drill SGT school that were schedule at first in October; canceled, then reschedule for January; canceled again 8 days before I was to leave, reschedule a third time for April. Each time to meet the qualification; I had to extend longer than my original contract. If I refuse to extend, I become flagged meaning I could not receive any favorable actions, awards, schools, promotions, etc. I’m now at a point were extending would not make any sense and need to reenlist to meet the qualifications.

Hiking always renew my sprits. I’m currently taken leave on the 15<SUP>th</SUP> to go hiking for two weeks. After I come back, I’ll find out if I am going to Drill SGT or not. If my orders are deleted a third time, I can request my orders for SGT <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com /><st1:PlaceName w:st=Drill</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName w:st=" /><st1:PlaceType w:st="on">School</st1:PlaceType> be canceled and stay on at <st1:City w:st="on">Fort Detrick</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">MD. </st1:State></ST1:pI live 5 miles away from the AT which I like. I also just received a new CO, who backpacks. I’m hoping that I can work out a way to hike at least for a little while.
<O:p
Wolf

Trail Dog
03-12-2006, 08:55
Dont know if you already got an answer cause i was reading the replies and many seem off topic so i will just tell you what my CO and XO Just told me.

Pretty much you can only take 30 days max at a time.

the loop hole may be where you take 30 days now and report for duty for one day only a 24 hour period then take 30 more days. I suppose its all up to your Chain of command and what the 'Needs of the Army" are at the time.

Good luck

TJ aka Teej
03-12-2006, 08:59
Wolf, convince your new CO your hike will be a recruiting oportunity :D

Programbo
03-12-2006, 09:00
You should actually feel lucky..There are very few people who can take 30 days off in a row from their job each year and 30 days does make time for what many would consider a fairly long hike..Heck you could probably do the AT in quarters each year and complete a new thru each 4 years..Yes you are one lucky fellow.

Trail Dog
03-12-2006, 09:04
Hey TJ thats not nice why would you do that to innocent hikers? Ever here the term Buddy F*&#'er? Its what you do when you convince your friend to Join the Army with you, also called the buddy program.

I really hate my up stairs neighbor when i get home i am gonna convince him to join the army!!!

TJ aka Teej
03-12-2006, 09:16
Hey TJ thats not nice why would you do that to innocent hikers?
I didn't say he'd have to be good at being a recruiter :D

Wolf - 23000
03-12-2006, 10:20
Dont know if you already got an answer cause i was reading the replies and many seem off topic so i will just tell you what my CO and XO Just told me.

Pretty much you can only take 30 days max at a time.

the loop hole may be where you take 30 days now and report for duty for one day only a 24 hour period then take 30 more days. I suppose its all up to your Chain of command and what the 'Needs of the Army" are at the time.

Good luck

Trail Dog,

There is another loop hole that I found and could possible take 90 days leave in a row as a reenlistment oppotion. As you said it is still at the needs of the Army. My chances are slim to none but it's worth a shoot.

Thank you for asking for me and service over in Iraq but above all, please be safe. I like as many as our soldiers to come home safe as possible and enjoy what life has to offer.

Wolf

Scots Guards
03-13-2006, 08:48
Wolf:
Have

Scots Guards
03-13-2006, 08:53
Wolf:
Have you thought of switching to an 11 series MOS? You'll get lots of chances to hike then. Especialy if you can get into a LRRP type gig.
And no, I'm not being a wise-butt. One of the reasons a lot of guys go infantry is to play outdoors alot.
Either way.lots a luck with the leave thing. You'er pretty much at their discretion in that area.

Wolf - 23000
03-13-2006, 20:01
I thought about going 11 series but decided against it.

The Army has their way of doing things in regards to the wilderness but as a long distance backpacker I like to do things different. I've also never been a fan of Army equipment myself and to trust my life on equipment that I dislike is not something I would be into.

Wolf

Vi+
03-14-2006, 00:30
Wolf,

Your question was, “How can I convince the Army to let me hike long distance again?”

I read your question some time ago, and thought it was a joke. I returned, fully expecting to read the punch line.

You didn’t specify a particular trail or place you want to hike.

I hiked long distances while I was in the U.S. Army. We hiked so much that virtually all of us had custom boots made. People left the army because they’d had more than enough distance hikes. I know army retirees who hiked so much in the army, they can’t bring themselves to camp outdoors or hike at all.

Is it possible the army has changed this much? I doubt it.

You don’t sound opposed to remaining in the army. It seems simple to me. If you want to be physically active, transfer to a unit which is physically active. Look into the Long Range Patrol / Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol, Pathfinders, Rangers, Special Forces, Delta.

You’re in the right place. I’ll be amazed if there aren’t many units capable of satisfying your desire.

C’mon, fess up, is all this just a bad joke?

JustPassinThru
03-14-2006, 10:00
Wolf,
I'm not familiar with the Army, but I know that the Navy and Marine Corps have a catagory of Temporary Additional Duty (TAD) that's called Permissive TAD (PTAD). Also referred to as No-Cost TAD because you can't draw any expenses against the orders. The Marines can authorize 30 days, or more, for competition in competitive sports. I'm a scoutmaster for a Boy Scout Troop and have had active duty Navy parents draw PTAD orders so that they could go to summer camp without using any leave. You could get affiliated with a Boy Scout Troop or Venture Crew and maybe they could tag-team crews with you so that you could get your long distance hike in, and at the same time you could be teaching the scouts/venturerers proper hiking techniques. There is of course the BSA requirement that there be at least two registered adults participating at all times. In the Navy/Marine Corps you can use leave in conjunction with PTAD orders. You may even be able to convince your CO that it would be a great recruiting campaign. It may be worth checking into.

JustPassinThru

Trail Dog
03-15-2006, 04:30
If you love hiking and backpacking you will hate the Infantry's road marches, patrols and other such adventures.

also note the face of the infantry is changing. the 11 series MOS is now doing nothing but 19D mounted missions. we will all be cav scouts an MPs soon. its how Iraq is being handled. no more walking.

my advice become a park ranger, not an airborne ranger if you wanna see nature and be outdoors.

capehiker
03-19-2006, 04:30
That was only 30 days. I am dying to hike long distance again. Any service men/women out there have any suggesting on how I can hike again for maybe 60 days or so.

60 days, no way. If you do find a way to get that much time off, please pass along the intel.

My advice: request 30 days and be tickled pink if you get that much. Then, come back and post pictures so that the rest of us who are lucky enough to get one week of leave will be able to keep the dream alive.

Sorry, no violins coming from my way.