PDA

View Full Version : SMD Skyscape or LS

sydneywaffa
10-15-2016, 12:56
I'm trying to buy a tent before snow hits up here in canada, and the skyscape scout and lunar solo le are my current picks. My question to you is should I get the LS;le over the scout? Getting it factory seam sealed would be a big plus and they don't do the scout. I could seal it at home if needed but i don't really have the space and weather is fading fast. Also the LS looks a bit roomier and has a better vestibule. Is the extra price of the LS worth the design differences?

left52side
10-18-2016, 18:35
I have had the scout and it was A nice tent but then i switched to the deshutes plus shelter which sets up the same as the lunar models SMD has and is about the same specs and honestly I would go with the lunar solo over the scout.
I am actually thinking about getting the same tent in the future for having around here for florida hiking when the bugs are bad instead of just using the tarp.

YoungBloodOnTrail
10-18-2016, 18:44
I have a lunar solo that I'm looking to sell after only using it a couple nights on the pct. It's an awesome, roomy, lightweight, and very packable tent but non freestanding just isn't my thing. I've got it factory sealed and could let it go than less than the original price if you're interested

MuddyWaters
10-18-2016, 19:31
I have had the scout and it was A nice tent but then i switched to the deshutes plus shelter which sets up the same as the lunar models SMD has and is about the same specs and honestly I would go with the lunar solo over the scout.
I am actually thinking about getting the same tent in the future for having around here for florida hiking when the bugs are bad instead of just using the tarp.
The gatewood cape/lunar solo/wild oasis/deschutes is a great single pole design.

Slo-go'en
10-19-2016, 12:48
I have the Lunar solo and the skyscape Trekker (lighter version of the Scout). I prefer the Trekker. I like the A frame design. It can be set up in a smaller, narrower space then the LS and I can sit up in it and put on a shirt without touching the walls. That's real hard to do in the LS.

sydneywaffa
10-20-2016, 00:46
I was eyeing the deschutes the past few days actually. Have you had it long? If so how does it hold up in rain? Its seems tempting as the plus matches price with the lunar solo le while saving a pound, but I'm new to tarps/floorless tents so I'm hesitant because of the rain.