PDA

View Full Version : 100 Miles of craziness ???

Suzzz
10-15-2016, 16:23
Hi there,

After years of hiking here and there and talking/reading/dreaming about doing the AT, I've finally decided that I would start section hiking in 2017. I'd love to give the thru hike a shot but my kids are just too young at this point to even consider being gone for any length of time. Maybe I'll do it when I retire, but for now, I'll have to contend myself with doing it a little bit at a time, and I'm ok with that. Also, I've hiked Katahdin a few times so I guess you could say that I've sort of already started.

In order to plan better, I have a few questions :

Because I live only a few hours from Katahdin (New Brunswick Canada), it seems logical to do it Sobo but I'm open to suggestions. I know thru hikers are in better shape once they get to the hardest part of the terrain in New Hampshire and Maine but as a section hiker that's not a consideration. Are there other considerations I'm not thinking about that would make it preferable to do a section hike Nobo?

And as Maine is considered to be one of the toughest sections of the AT, should I start further down in NH before ''attacking'' Maine? Then again, I'll have to do it at one point or another so maybe it's best to get it over with right away? And what about the last hundred miles, AKA One Hundred Miles of Wilderness? Exactly how crazy/insane/hard is it? Are you really stuck on there from point A to point B or are there ways of getting off if you want/need to, i.e. injury/out of time? I see mentions of logging roads in the guidebook and on the map. Are those roads easily accessible by car/truck? Will people providing shuttle services pick you up on one of these roads? Is there even any cell service around these parts? And last but not least, if deciding to do the 100 Miles, which direction is best?

I'll have a total of 2 weeks to do this (16 days - weekend to weekend). Taking into account one day to get to the trail and another to get home, that's 14 days of hiking. At a conservative 10 miles a day pace, there's 4 days left for unplanned delays. Does that sound reasonable? Or should I just forget about the 100 miles of wilderness altogether, start after it, and ''save'' that part for last?

I'm thinking last two weeks of July for this trip. Yes, I have DEET!

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Old Hiker
10-15-2016, 16:27
I was NOBO.

Food resupply from Shaw's and/or 100 Mile Wilderness Outfitters - both in Monson. I used 100 mile.

Carried too much food, thinking I would "only" do 10-12 miles per day.

My opinion: Parts are intensely stupid - up and over inconsequential mountains for no reason. Parts are very nice. Lots of the Trail has tons of roots and rocks which tended to slow me down.

AWOL states the roads are all private, must pay to use, but does not go into any detail. YMMV.

Had no cell service until Rainbow ledges.

Enjoy.

Shutterbug
10-15-2016, 17:15
Hi there,

After years of hiking here and there and talking/reading/dreaming about doing the AT, I've finally decided that I would start section hiking in 2017. I'd love to give the thru hike a shot but my kids are just too young at this point to even consider being gone for any length of time. Maybe I'll do it when I retire, but for now, I'll have to contend myself with doing it a little bit at a time, and I'm ok with that. Also, I've hiked Katahdin a few times so I guess you could say that I've sort of already started.

In order to plan better, I have a few questions :

Because I live only a few hours from Katahdin (New Brunswick Canada), it seems logical to do it Sobo but I'm open to suggestions. I know thru hikers are in better shape once they get to the hardest part of the terrain in New Hampshire and Maine but as a section hiker that's not a consideration. Are there other considerations I'm not thinking about that would make it preferable to do a section hike Nobo?

And as Maine is considered to be one of the toughest sections of the AT, should I start further down in NH before ''attacking'' Maine? Then again, I'll have to do it at one point or another so maybe it's best to get it over with right away? And what about the last hundred miles, AKA One Hundred Miles of Wilderness? Exactly how crazy/insane/hard is it? Are you really stuck on there from point A to point B or are there ways of getting off if you want/need to, i.e. injury/out of time? I see mentions of logging roads in the guidebook and on the map. Are those roads easily accessible by car/truck? Will people providing shuttle services pick you up on one of these roads? Is there even any cell service around these parts? And last but not least, if deciding to do the 100 Miles, which direction is best?

I'll have a total of 2 weeks to do this (16 days - weekend to weekend). Taking into account one day to get to the trail and another to get home, that's 14 days of hiking. At a conservative 10 miles a day pace, there's 4 days left for unplanned delays. Does that sound reasonable? Or should I just forget about the 100 miles of wilderness altogether, start after it, and ''save'' that part for last?

I'm thinking last two weeks of July for this trip. Yes, I have DEET!

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

For starters, when you read "Wilderness" don't compare the 100 Mile Wilderness to wilderness in the western U.S. or Canada. The 100 Mile Wilderness is filled with people. There are many opportunities to leave if you need to.

One year, a member of my hiking party got sick. He had no difficulty hitching a ride on one of the logging roads.

Another year, I decided to cut my hike short and called for Katahdin Air to pick me up on one of the lakes. They were pleased to do so and the cost was reasonable.

I found the Appalachian Trail Guide to Maine maps to be most helpful in planning and for making decisions while hiking -- https://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Guide-Maine-Ronan/dp/1889386669/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476564925&sr=8-1&keywords=maine+appalachian+trail+guide

The Guide will answer most of your questions, but let me respond to some of them:

1. Is Nobo better than Sobo? I have hiked it both ways. There really isn't any difference other than where you start and end.

2. How crazy is the 100 Mile Wilderness? It all depends on what you compare it to. If the weather is good, the hike is not difficult. One time I hiked in the remains of a hurricane. That was the time I called Katahdin Air to pick me up. When I have hiked in good weather, I have found it a delightful hike.

3. Are there ways of getting off if you need to? Yes. If you are concerned, carry a Delorme InReach. Inform one of the shuttle services that you will be hiking and will call if you have trouble. You can send a message with InReach to be picked up where you want. If you want to leave in style, send a message to Katahdin Air. There are ponds all along the trail where they can pick you up.

4. Are the roads easily accessible by car/truck? Several of the road have a lot of traffic (Jo Mary and Katahdin Iron Works for example). One has to pay a toll to use the roads, but there are many vehicles every day. Other roads shown on the map are no longer in use.

5. Will shuttles pick you up on the private roads? Yes

6. Is there cell service? Verizon has some coverage, but probably not where you will need it. A Delorme InReach is a more reliable way to communicate. You can send text messages from anywhere that you can see the sky.

7. Does 14 days seem reasonable? Only if you arrange a food drop. You won't want to start with 14 days of food. If the weather is good, one can hike the 100 Mile Wilderness in 7 days.

Be sure to take a camera. The 100 Mile Wilderness is your best chance to photograph a moose.

rafe
10-15-2016, 17:38
It's not nearly as wild as it once was. Time was, you really had to hike the whole thing in one go (from Abol Bridge to Monson.) That really isn't the case any more -- there are trailheads on the logging roads that cross the trail, and a fair amount of traffic on those roads. Shuttlers in that neighborhood can be hired to pick you up, drop you off, or leave food drops. You can even get dropped off or picked up by seaplane at some of the lakes along the northern half of the trail in the HMW.

The northern half of the HMW is relatively flat and easy hiking by AT standards. The southern half has two long, high ridges, with plenty of ups and downs along the ridges.

dudeijuststarted
10-15-2016, 17:47
Maine is "insane" comparatively to the remainder of the AT, even New Hampshire, yes. The good news is that every year SOBO thru's and section hikers tackle Katahdin and the 100 mile first.

You could connect with the Monson folks for resupply, and the AT Lodge in Millinocket can handle your shuttles and drops as well.

http://appalachiantraillodge.com/

If you're already strong and can avoid a zero after Katahdin, I think you can get through the 100 mile on time. This is barring any injury or illness in the 100 mile. I have definitely seen healthy and game SOBOs take a zero or two after the shock of big K. You want to be ready before you head into the 100. Take your biggest recent AT mileage day and cut it in half at your best performance. It's as backcountry as the AT gets. As other posters have said, you can get out of the 100 mile in a pinch. There are logging roads and even an AMC lodge in the 100 mile. Shuttles come in to do food drops at predeterming roads (such as Jo-Mary) so you can get back through them as well, although you may have to wait until they come through as phone is very spotty.

Here's some good commentary on it:

http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-hike-the-100-mile-wilderness/ (http://sectionhiker.com/how-to-hike-the-100-mile-wilderness/)

It would be one heck of an accomplishment. You can do it, just know that it is no joke.

egilbe
10-15-2016, 18:18
Definitely go Sobo from Katahdin. Its pretty easy. Whitecap to Monson, not so much. Monson to Flagstaff lake is pretty easy, too.

Suzzz
10-15-2016, 18:47
Be sure to take a camera. The 100 Mile Wilderness is your best chance to photograph a moose.

I'll be bringing a camera but not for the moose. I live in moose country and once you've seen one, you've seen them all. But I'll definitely be taking a ton of pictures.

Suzzz
10-15-2016, 19:00
If you're already strong and can avoid a zero after Katahdin, I think you can get through the 100 mile on time. This is barring any injury or illness in the 100 mile. I have definitely seen healthy and game SOBOs take a zero or two after the shock of big K. You want to be ready before you head into the 100. Take your biggest recent AT mileage day and cut it in half at your best performance.

I'm not planning to do Katahdin on that stretch since I've already done it a few times before. Thanks for the tips and the link to that commentary.

PaulWorksHard
10-15-2016, 23:56
I took 8 days to get from Monson to KSC, (110 miles) taking my time and getting into camp early each day. Six of those days I had cell phone service at some point (usually on top of a mountain or hill). I even called Shaw's and asked them to add a few things to my resupply at Jo Mary Rd. I think a SOBO of the 100 miles is easier. The hardest parts are closer to Monson. If you start out in good shape, your plan sounds very reasonable.

It seemed to me the Whites were much harder than the 100 mile wilderness.

egilbe
10-16-2016, 08:48
It seemed to me the Whites were much harder than the 100 mile wilderness.

Oh God yeah. The Whites are mostly above tree line and over 4000 feet. Whitecap is the highest mountain in the HMW and it tops out at ~3800, although that one can be exhausting if you decide not to stop at Logan Brook.

Heliotrope
10-16-2016, 09:09
If you haven't done the rest of Baxter consider starting at KSC. The trail south to abol bridge is a section I really enjoy. Super easy and very pristine and gorgeous .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suzzz
10-16-2016, 17:35
I was thinking about starting at Abol Bridge and stopping at Monson.

illabelle
10-16-2016, 18:11
Unless you are committed to hiking the AT in a continuous SOBO or NOBO fashion, consider selecting sections based on timing. My husband and I have completed 1400 AT miles, in every state except CT (which we'll do next spring). It's too hot to hike much around here in July and August (really from mid-June to mid-September), so that's when we head north. We avoid the north when it's buggy, muddy, or the trail still has ice/snow. Late fall and early spring are great times to hike in our area. I love the nice crisp temperatures!

As far as the HMW goes, we did from Katahdin south to Katahdin Ironworks Road in late Aug/early Sept. Our AT&T phones had signal at high spots. I was able to make calls on Whitecap and at the peaks between there and KIW Rd.

We positioned a car at JoMary Rd with food resupply and clean clothes (SO NICE to have clean clothes!!!) Our original intent was to go all the way to Monson, but the trail was more rugged than our bodies were prepared for, so we called and arranged for a shuttle out at KIW. If you're not in a big hurry, I'd recommend to take your time and enjoy the journey. Spend a day or an afternoon at Antlers Campsite. Eat blueberries if they're in season. Explore a side trail.

evyck da fleet
10-16-2016, 18:40
If you think it's going to be a pain in the ass logistically you may want to start NOBO so that as you near the end you don't have to travel as far. I've met a few Section hikers that did what was closest first and wound up with sections at both ends that they probably would never get to as they slowed with age and more of their time was taken up with traveling to/fro the trail.

Otherwise you can pick the section and easier direction based on the time of year.

Suzzz
10-16-2016, 20:45
We positioned a car at JoMary Rd with food resupply and clean clothes (SO NICE to have clean clothes!!!)

Leaving a car at JoMary Rd with food and clean clothes sounds like a fantastic idea but is it safe? What is the risk of having your car broken into or stolen?

illabelle
10-16-2016, 21:14
Leaving a car at JoMary Rd with food and clean clothes sounds like a fantastic idea but is it safe? What is the risk of having your car broken into or stolen?

I'm sure it's possible, but I had the same concern, and people more familiar than me said because access to that area is controlled (fee for non-Maine residents), that it was quite safe.

The only problems we had parking there was that the car, a rental, got incredibly dusty from traffic going by on the gravel road, and secondly, mice got into the car. Our food was in the trunk, but they found it, and they ran all over the inside of the car too, having a poop-pee party, and chewed a quarter-sized hole in my husband's spare shirt. :(

Fortunately the mice didn't thoroughly destroy the food, but we did have to discard several snack items. We left those in the trunk floor so the mice would be inclined to eat there when they returned. After our resupply we still had some items that would be attractive to mice, trash and a few food items we didn't need. We did a miniature bear bag hang from the framing on the underside of the trunk lid in hopes that the mice might not get to them. Didn't work entirely, but seemed to help.

When we got back to civilization we spent a few quarters on a washdown and vacuum of the car. It reeeeeally needed it!

Suzzz
10-17-2016, 08:54
Mice in the car? Wow, never a dull moment is there? That's the last thing I would have thought of. Those little buggers are everywhere!

Water Rat
10-17-2016, 11:31
You have already received some really good advice... I only have a few more things to add to hopefully make the trip logistics a bit easier.

Going SOBO from Abol Bridge to Monson, is a gentler way to experience the 100 Mile. If you choose to pack all your food for the journey, this is the way I would recommend. Hitting Barren Mountain with a full pack (coming out of Monson and heading north) can be a bit jarring for those who do not have their trail legs. Either way is possible - It's always one foot in front of the other and you will get to your destination. :)

The logging roads within the 100 Mile are not currently high crime (when compared to other spots on the AT) areas. As long as you pull your vehicle completely off the road, you should be fine. However, I would suggest an alternate idea. Shaw's, in Monson, allows parking. I would set up a plan with them to stay there, park there, and have them shuttle you to Abol Bridge. They do also do food drops (in the form of meeting you at a specific time and place) within the 100 Mile if you are interested in reducing your pack weight. Here is the information for Shaw's (http://www.shawshikerhostel.com/)

Using Shaw's would also offer you the opportunity to continue hiking south if you find yourself in Monson earlier than expected and want to keep hiking. The weather in July can be fantastic!

I you are interested, I would also recommend getting the app Guthook's Guide for Maine. I recommend this app because hikers can (and do) provide real-time information on water sources and trail conditions. It has been a very dry year for Maine and I found this app to be handy for planning my water sources.

The 100 Mile is not truly a wilderness experience. There will be many hikers (thru, section, etc) during your time in Maine. I mention this in case you have any worries about traveling this section. It is not the hardest section of the AT, but it is also not the easiest... Take your time, enjoy it. Oh, and be sure to fit in some of the waterfalls in the Gulf Hagas area if you find yourself with extra time. This is an absolutely gorgeous section of trail. :)

Shutterbug
10-17-2016, 16:29

In my opinion, the Gulf Hagas parking lot is a better place to leave a car than the JoMary Rd. The logging trucks on JoMary Rd fly by the AT crossing at high speeds. As I recall, parking there means parking on the side of the busy road. Gulf Hagas has a large parking lot that is off the road.

Suzzz
10-17-2016, 16:36
Thanks Water Rat! You're right, I've received a lot of good information and I do appreciate all that was said/suggested. Although I've been hiking for years and consider myself well prepared, words like ''hundred miles of wilderness'' and some horror stories heard here and there over the years, sometimes make the cautious side of my brain speak louder than the adventurous side. And that's not entirely a bad thing. It just means that I need to satisfy the cautious side that all is good and then the adventurous side can go out and have fun without worrying about all the bad things that could happen. Of course you can never completely eliminate the risks but you can certainly prepare better when you have the right information. Before asking about the HMW, I THOUGHT I had the ability to do this stretch of the AT, now I KNOW that I do. Worse case scenario I'll be slower than planned but either way I'll get her done. Plus now my preparation will be better because I've gotten a wealth of pertinent information that will help me make informed decisions and have a great hike. So thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my questions and those who might add to it in the future!

Suzzz
10-17-2016, 16:36
In my opinion, the Gulf Hagas parking lot is a better place to leave a car than the JoMary Rd. The logging trucks on JoMary Rd fly by the AT crossing at high speeds. As I recall, parking there means parking on the side of the busy road. Gulf Hagas has a large parking lot that is off the road.

Good to know!

Shutterbug
10-17-2016, 18:47
Suzzz, just in case you want to see some pictures of the 100 Mile Wilderness, here are links to some of my hikes in the wilderness --

2004 -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipOVsN5STd5kqb7ZzuwuQKDDlI8--RjDJIh7xnti (https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipOVsN5STd5kqb7ZzuwuQKDDlI8--RjDJIh7xnti)

2005 -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipMtFqq4c9LMddDr8KxjALbXb8EL-LL_HM5n06N_ (https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipMtFqq4c9LMddDr8KxjALbXb8EL-LL_HM5n06N_)

2006 -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipPtHAjmD9Ys5yrSHcPOAo5xUvojbNzQJULYTxD6 (https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipPtHAjmD9Ys5yrSHcPOAo5xUvojbNzQJULYTxD6)

2009 -- https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipPcCz-q0dB6lm-qXzaWWB4beaawqwsYtyp3HGKf (https://get.google.com/albumarchive/112968072096587968801/album/AF1QipPcCz-q0dB6lm-qXzaWWB4beaawqwsYtyp3HGKf)

Suzzz
10-17-2016, 20:48
Wow!!! Thanks Shutterbug!

egilbe
10-18-2016, 09:03
Huh, we took allot of the same pictures from the same spots :) Except we never saw any moose. Too rare nowadays with the winter ticks killing up towards 75% of new calves.

Shutterbug
10-18-2016, 11:53
Wow!!! Thanks Shutterbug!

There is one picture buried in the 2005 album with special significance. At the Antlers Campsite, I met Baltimore Jack. Unfortunately, the sun glare from the lake blocked some of his face, but those who knew Jack will recognize his picture -- https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GOa6eL8zEDG1NkZGw3pxR1YEpiSIFMjhHFFmohMPeXcvaNywux XAVUpj6ncpgLn3F5u0WN0w4Jfgaq8=w1440-h900-rw-no

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:28
That's awesome, good luck with your hike!

Trillium
10-22-2016, 10:31
There is one picture buried in the 2005 album with special significance. At the Antlers Campsite, I met Baltimore Jack. Unfortunately, the sun glare from the lake blocked some of his face, but those who knew Jack will recognize his picture -- https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GOa6eL8zEDG1NkZGw3pxR1YEpiSIFMjhHFFmohMPeXcvaNywux XAVUpj6ncpgLn3F5u0WN0w4Jfgaq8=w1440-h900-rw-no
I kept scrolling and looking and you're right, it's unmistakably Jack, from wearing black with a white blaze on his shirt to the knee coverings to the pose. God love him. :sun