PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Setup

andsoshewalks
10-16-2016, 17:24
Okay, so I just got my tarptent in the mail the other day only to realize that the grommet holes are too small for the tips on my trekking poles. I have the Black Diamond Women'd Distance FLZ trekking poles with (I guess) the rubber tech tips. So my question is this: what kind of tips can I get for these specific trekking poles that's will allow my to set up my Tarptent?

Venchka
10-16-2016, 18:20
Are the rubber tips removable exposing the smaller diameter metal tips?
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
10-16-2016, 19:00
Distance Z poles come with two sets of tips, the rubber ones and carbide ones. The carbide ones are hidden in the velcro strap that holds the packaging together. The carbide tips are the more commonly used type of trekking pole tip if that is what you are looking for. If you don't have them, you can buy replacements pretty easily. The tips screw into and out of the poles.

Venchka
10-16-2016, 19:32
I was mostly right.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hosh
10-16-2016, 20:50
If the above doesn't work, TT sells an adapter that allows the handle end of the trekking pole to be used against the tent fabric. I liked this arrangement better because you can "stake" the tip end into the ground with better lateral stability.

https://www.tarptent.com/store/trekking-pole-handle-adapter

Studlintsean
10-16-2016, 23:51
If the above doesn't work, TT sells an adapter that allows the handle end of the trekking pole to be used against the tent fabric. I liked this arrangement better because you can "stake" the tip end into the ground with better lateral stability.

https://www.tarptent.com/store/trekking-pole-handle-adapter

Another comment on this. After putting a trekking pole through the ceiling on my Contrail Twice, I decided that setting it up handle up is better for me. The grommet and tip lineup is a bit tedious in my opinion.

LIhikers
10-17-2016, 09:06
You can also do this, without changing anything on your poles.
In the pole grommet that is part of the tent tie a small loop of some kind of thin, light line.
Make the loop big enough to fit over the end of the pole but small enough to not fit over the basket.