PDA

View Full Version : Three Forks to Neel's Gap - Veteran's Day Weekend

Tally_Hiker
10-17-2016, 12:36
Looking to do 3 day, 2 night hike from Three Forks to Neel's Gap over Veteran's Day weekend (Nov 11-13). I was kicking around between Springer and Three Forks with my daughter a few weeks ago, and water was not an issue. I do have a few questions:

1) How has water been over the past couple of weeks between Three Forks and Neel's Gap?
2) Is it okay/safe to park at Three Forks for a few days?
3) Should I expect this to be a busy weekend in and around that section?

Anything else I should know about this section, this late in fall?

Thanks.

soumodeler
10-17-2016, 15:23
Parking is fine there. I would not worry about it.

It it will not be crowded, but you will see other people for sure.

JessNicole3608
10-17-2016, 16:28
You'll probably see a lot of day hikers on Blood Mountain for the holiday. It can get kinda busy on the weekends anyways. Make sure to fill up on water at the shelter before Blood because I don't believe there's any more water until you get to Neel's Gap.

FatMan
10-18-2016, 10:10
1) How has water been over the past couple of weeks between Three Forks and Neel's Gap?
2) Is it okay/safe to park at Three Forks for a few days?
3) Should I expect this to be a busy weekend in and around that section?

Anything else I should know about this section, this late in fall?1.We have been very dry. The only water between Gooch Gap and Neels Gap is at Lance Creek.
2. I would have no issue with leaving my car at Three Forks for a few days.
3. Not busy but you will have other hikers out there.

It is hunting season so be responsible and wear some blaze orange.

Enjoy your hike!

Praha4
10-18-2016, 12:16
you'll probably run into some Southbounders finishing up
hope u get good weather,
mid November can be hot or cold or wet n' nasty

Tally_Hiker
10-18-2016, 20:35
Thanks for the replies. Planning to camp at Justus Creek 1st night and Lance Creek 2nd night. Sound good?

Trailweaver
10-19-2016, 02:13
I notice that you are from Florida. By November, the mountains are really cold at night. Plan to take your thermals to sleep in, and have a good sleeping bag. Unless it rains, water is really scarce right now in GA.

daddytwosticks
10-19-2016, 07:14
That sounds like a great hike. Hope you and your daughter enjoy a bonding weekend. :)

map man
10-19-2016, 19:07
I hope you don't have your heart set on any campfires. They are banned because of dry conditions according to this thread:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/121383-Campfire-Ban-in-Georgia

Tally_Hiker
10-20-2016, 06:56
Won't affect me. But thanks for the heads-up.