PDA

View Full Version : Thankgiving in the Smokies?

Wuff
10-17-2016, 16:27
I miss the AT, and have decided not to visit family for Thanksgiving (selfish me). Seems like weather could be a toss up right? Snow ice highly possible but it COULD be beautiful? Note the question marks, I really don't know, I hiked through in 2011 in the hiker bubble. Any how - anyone have suggestions for a 2-3 day hike in the smokies that would at least touch the AT briefly? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers,

-Frizzle

illabelle
10-17-2016, 16:40
We did a Thanksgiving hike on the AT in Georgia a couple years ago. Froze our butts off! Other times the weather was mild. I'd suggest developing options for high and low elevation so you can adapt if the weather isn't balmy.

hikernutcasey
10-17-2016, 16:48
Another thing to consider is water conditions. That area is experiencing a moderate drought right now and there isn't much rain in sight. You could probably still go there as water might still be available in lower elevations but you might want to limit your time on the high ridges.

saltysack
10-17-2016, 17:45
Sounds like a great thanksgiving to me!!!! I'm jealous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
10-18-2016, 01:27
Even in the middle of winter, snow is unlikely for any given weekend, but definitely always a possibility. (The staff at LeConte Lodge say they have had snow fall one year or another in every month of thr year but July and August.)
Climate data suggests that even at the lowest elevations, night time lows will be near freezing, while day time highs in the upper elevations only making it to the 40s. Of course actual temperatures seem to easily fluctuate are plus or minus 10 to 15 degrees on a regular basis.

If you are willing to ignore the AT, my first suggestions would be loops that include Abrams Falls (like #15 and #17).

If you don't mind the cold of the high elevations, I would suggest a loop that includes Mt Sterling Fire Tower at #38.

If you must include the AT, I would suggest starting at Fontana and make a loop with Eagle Creek (be ready for some cold wet feet), or start at Twenty Mile Ranger Station and make a loop out of #113 and #13, giving you the opportunity to see Shuckstack and Gregory Bald. But keep in mind campsite #13 is usually a bit breezy... you can just about count on wind chills below freezing.

TNhiker
10-18-2016, 03:10
Park at the Dome----hike out to double springs and go down goshen prong to CS 23.........

That would put you up on the ridgeline of the AT and if ya really wanted to stay at the shelter---ya could...

or stay a night or two at CS 23 and explore that area.........and hike out to elkmont to get a ride back to dome.....

or you could wrap back around to sugarland mountain trail up to mt collins..........

Dogwood
10-18-2016, 12:56
Considering Thanksgiving is at least one day in the yr most want to be offering appreciation and thankfulness, you're a previous recent AT thru-hiker, are desiring some sentimental remembrances of the AT, and don't offer greater context or persecutive of what you want or are easily able to design for the hike I would design a loose mileage 2-3 day hike that takes in some of the AT perhaps near Fontana, stay at least one night in at least one AT lean to(Fontana Hilton could be considered), and take in what many thru hikers ignore as they hike through GSMNP i.e.; waterfalls, ELK, history(including pre NP history and pre white settler history and pre Fontana Reservoir history), perhaps a cemetery noting the dates on the grave stones and greater appreciation and consideration off the various peoples that were removed from this area and the constant work and hard living they endured, greater recognition and consideration than perhaps was experienced on the thru-hike for flora and fauna, and the way of life(cultures) of the area.

If you had been asking this question for next yr's Thanksgiving I'd say try to get dinner at Mt LeConte sandwiched somewhere within the 2-3 day hike perhaps doing some type of loop involving elements of what Hooky Dooky refers. TG Day at one of the NP lodges although busy is not usually as busy overall than during the summer or even fall highest peak NP usage periods. I personally find it also great sitting down to a TG meal spread with people I don't known in a somewhat less commercialized TG setting at a NP lodge that still has some elements of quaintness, rustic atmosphere, and oodles of history associated with it than another gluttonous LOUD New Jerzeean TG with family which I've experienced so many times as we slump on the couch around the TV vegetating on NFL football and the women head off to some room, usually the kitchen, to clean up, serve more food, and gossip. I'd rather go tromp the woods, go hunting, go fishing, go for a long morning run, go for a hike, get dirty, cold, rosy cheeked, and maybe wet, or be in a NP traveling, meeting, appreciating, and sharing with people I don't know. That's not showing complete disdain for family gatherings; it's that I like a great variety of experiences that go beyond just immediate blood relative family at every holiday. So, perhaps you shouldn't feel so guilty or selfish about wanting to do TG Day in GSMNP?

Five of my Top 10 TG Day experiences were sleeping on a beach in Charleston SC(alone), swimming in the Atlantic Ocean with the dolphins at Lighthouse Beach Park on Sanibel Island Florida(with about 10 family members), at Phantom Ranch in Grand Canyon NP(alone but in the dining hall with 120 others), on a hike at Acadia NP(with 3 family members, GF and 1 friend), and on a hike in Big Bend NP(alone on the hike but spent TG with 2 other people).

dudeijuststarted
10-18-2016, 13:16
if your family really loved you they would have called you with the hike plan already.

slbirdnerd
10-18-2016, 13:49
Another thing to consider is water conditions. That area is experiencing a moderate drought right now and there isn't much rain in sight. You could probably still go there as water might still be available in lower elevations but you might want to limit your time on the high ridges.

This. Just plan accordingly. Call the Backcountry Office, they can update you on the water closer to your trip.

TNhiker
10-18-2016, 13:58
If you had been asking this question for next yr's Thanksgiving I'd say try to get dinner at Mt LeConte sandwiched somewhere within the 2-3 day

i believe that the Lodge shuts down right before thanksgiving.........

shelter would still be open (year round).......

Wuff
10-18-2016, 15:04
Thanks for all the input and ideas everyone, really appreciated. I will check out all those loops once my map arrives and figure out a couple 2-3 day options. I was a total newbie when I started my 2011 nb thru (ended up leaving at Harpers), and still felt like one in the Smokies. I was moving slow, tired and cold - but I remember it as one of the more beautiful sections I completed. I learned a ton about myself and how I like to hike. Since then I've done most of my trips out west (CT, JMT) but the AT is still in my heart. I think Dogwood is totally right on - it'll be great to give thanks for the trail and all those we meet along the way. Cheers,

Frizz

TNhiker
10-18-2016, 15:14
here's a map for ya

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/upload/GSMNP-Map_JUNE14-complete4-2.pdf

HooKooDooKu
10-18-2016, 15:32
...Hooky Dooky...
Really?
Well why don't we just call Thanksgiving 'Thanky Wanky'?
If you can't type out the whole name, how about at least something that doesn't look so wonky, like HKDK.

TNhiker
10-18-2016, 16:56
Really?
Well why don't we just call Thanksgiving 'Thanky Wanky'?.

im all for this.....

it would just another useless name for an useless holiday...

sorta like Xmas......

Dogwood
10-18-2016, 17:46
Hooky Dooky means old wise one of the Smoky Mountains in Nepali. I was paying you a compliment. :D

I thought that might raise your attention. See, you were listening.

If it makes you feel better you can call me Dagwood with I've been referred to on countless unoffended occasions.

I hear ya. You're right.;)

Seatbelt
10-19-2016, 16:03
Park at the Dome----hike out to double springs and go down goshen prong to CS 23.........

Does this road close in winter??

TNhiker
10-19-2016, 16:09
the road to the Dome closes December 1st.......

Seatbelt
10-19-2016, 17:25
the road to the Dome closes December 1st.......

Thank you, I thought it was closed when I hiked thru there in Jan.

Praha4
10-19-2016, 20:28
not gonna make that hike
no way I miss Redskins vs Cowboys on Thanksgiving day

happy trails!

Teacher & Snacktime
10-19-2016, 20:46
Contact Farmer Chef and find out about the Hiker Thanksgiving in GSMNP....or somewhere nearby. I believe it's run by Miss Janet, and they had a wonderful time!

Wuff
10-20-2016, 13:27

That would put you up on the ridgeline of the AT and if ya really wanted to stay at the shelter---ya could...

or stay a night or two at CS 23 and explore that area.........and hike out to elkmont to get a ride back to dome.....

or you could wrap back around to sugarland mountain trail up to mt collins..........

I'm liking the idea of starting at the dome, hiking out to elkmont -- but is it realistic that I could get a hitch from there in late November?

Scaper
10-20-2016, 15:44
If your prepared for the weather the smokies in November is great. The weather for this weekend Oct 21 Friday night. Above 4500 feet temps in upper 20,s with snow showers winds at 20-30 mph. Saturday the 22 highs in low 40s with snow showers. This is the kind of weather you get at higher elevations in the Smokies. cold and snowy 1 day and 3 days 60 degrees

TNhiker
10-24-2016, 15:44
I'm liking the idea of starting at the dome, hiking out to elkmont -- but is it realistic that I could get a hitch from there in late November?

a hitch maybe a touch interesting to do....

but, you could arrange a shuttle to do it for ya.....

illabelle
10-24-2016, 15:53
If your prepared for the weather the smokies in November is great. The weather for this weekend Oct 21 Friday night. Above 4500 feet temps in upper 20,s with snow showers winds at 20-30 mph. Saturday the 22 highs in low 40s with snow showers. This is the kind of weather you get at higher elevations in the Smokies. cold and snowy 1 day and 3 days 60 degrees

We spent the weekend at Cosby Campground, and heard that there was indeed frost and snow showers on the higher elevations. Witnessed an ATC trail crew coming through the camp with their pack animals and equipment - all done for the season.