PDA

View Full Version : Time Limit

Oventoasted
10-18-2016, 00:06
Anyone else on a time limit by chance? My enlistment in the military is coming to an end a very convenient time, right about the end of Feb. But I am enrolling in the fall semester of the college i want to go to which starts mid Aug. I've read that the AT can take between 5-6 months but, if it ends up being 6 months i don't believe i will have enough time to get back to school before finishing.

Anyone else have a similar conflict or maybe someone with experience on this issue could shine some light on it? :confused:

In any case I'm super excited and have been waiting to take this adventure for a long time! :D

rafe
10-18-2016, 00:20
A common situation. If you're young and fit (as I'm guessing) and reasonably prepared, you should be able to finish in five months, barring unforeseen circumstances.

Thru hiking is a marathon. Do what you feel is best, just don't let your thru hike turn into a death march. There's no shame in finishing the trail in two seasons or twenty seasons.

capehiker
10-18-2016, 00:26
A hiker I met this summer on my Thru started Mar 3 and finished August 25. He took a more zeros than most and still finished under 6 months.

Martzy
10-18-2016, 00:36
I'm sorta in the same boat with you. I'm beginning March 1st, hiking north. I work at a winery and harvest begins around late July-early August for most, so that's my "deadline." They wouldn't be happy if I missed the busiest time of year! But like it's already been said, you can hope and aim to finish, but there is no shame in leaving some of the Trail for later. If you don't finish in time, and it's important TO YOU to do the whole thing, you'll find a time to finish it.

ARambler
10-18-2016, 08:27
I don't think it is possible for you to not finish, if you are still hiking in July. If you are "average", you will quite for one of the reasons that 75% of starters quit (almost all before August).

As a fit military hiker who knows how to get things done, you should be targeting less than 5 months. Except, you should not worry about timing at all. You will need to address many issues without worrying about speed. March 1 is early and you may have bad, or very bad, weather, minor injuries, heavy winter gear, and just the learning curve that 1 AT mile is not the same as a mile on the road.

Good luck.

AfterParty
10-18-2016, 10:04
Do the the trail. College can wait a semester. I'm retired army and that my adivise. Have some time to do compress.

trailmercury
10-18-2016, 10:09
I only have a six month leave of absence approved from my employer...April 1st to September 30th....Planning on finishing in 5 months so that I have a few weeks to adjust back to "the real world"
I say you go for it, I am!

TM

Venchka
10-18-2016, 10:26
An April 1 start is statistically better than a March 1 start.
Good luck.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Roaming Gnome
10-18-2016, 11:47
My friend Rory hiked the AT NoBo this year in 100 days. He posted his journey on youtube. You may be able to form a game plan by checking out how he did it. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkA3z-lSyEg6ZN-BqMy6wow

Deadeye
10-18-2016, 12:54
if you need 6 months to finish, but only have 5, are you going to let that stop you from hiking as far as you can go in 5 months? Just do it. Or wait a semester (or a year), the college will still be there.

illabelle
10-18-2016, 16:35
I'm "just" a section hiker, but wanted to chip in that you can avoid some of the potential weather delays and issues by doing the trail in a non-linear fashion. Start in central VA and hike north to wherever, then go back to GA and hike to central VA, then go finish up the north. Put yourself in low elevations/latitudes for the late winter and early spring. Spend the hot months where it's cooler. Not only is that more comfortable, but it means you may not have to spend several days in a GA/NC/TN hostel waiting out a mountain snowstorm.

Slo-go'en
10-18-2016, 16:53
Do the math. If you have 152 days (mid March to mid August) you need to have a daily average of 14.4 miles. That's including zeros, so realistically you need to have a lot of 20 mile days to make up for zero or nero mileage days. 20 mile days in the middle sections aren't too hard to pull off.

jjozgrunt
10-18-2016, 17:55
In the same boat but for other reasons. Visa for one. I have to have return ticket as well so I am looking at 154 days from 13 Mar. But I am travelling for 6 weeks after with my wife so I will have a little bit of a fudge factor.

jj dont play
10-18-2016, 18:45
Never backed pack before but have a good fitness background although it had been a few years. I'm sure with your army background you will be in better shape then I was at the start. Planned on 6months and finished in 117 days, could have done 100 if I had planned to from the beginning or if I had to for some reason. I ended up enjoying longer days and hated zeroes.
You'll do it quicker than you think without even trying to. And don't worry about smaller miles the first 2 weeks or so, get your "trail legs" before you start to worry about increasing miles to "finish in time".

rafe
10-18-2016, 18:55
Do the math. If you have 152 days (mid March to mid August) you need to have a daily average of 14.4 miles. That's including zeros, so realistically you need to have a lot of 20 mile days to make up for zero or nero mileage days. 20 mile days in the middle sections aren't too hard to pull off.

Even 20+ years ago, typical successful thru hikers were averaging about 15 miles per day and finishing in a little over 150 days. That was with much heavier packs and fewer town facilities along the way.

I'll join the chorus saying, keep the zero days to a minimum. Particularly in the OP's case where there are hard time limits.

Oventoasted
10-18-2016, 19:17
Thanks everyone for the replies and advice! Too add some more info i do not believe my budget can allow me to skip the fall semster due to how the GI Bill works. I need to be a full time student (12 crd hrs) to get any kind of allowance. Dont want to burn my savings to start school in 2018 spring. :p

What i am curious about is this snowy weather in the first states. Not saying I'm exceptionally skilled but, how bad of a snowstorm are we talking about? I've hiked in some snowy weather when stationed in Alaska, Crow Pass area. Though that was not howling winds or white out conditions just wading through thigh deep drifts.

Thanks again for the advice!

rafe
10-18-2016, 19:47
Early spring weather in Georgia, Tennessee and North Carolina is likely to be highly variable. You may well see daytime temps up in the 60s or higher, but just as likely, overnight temperatures down in the teens or single digits, especially up at altitude.

Most likely you won't need snowshoes, but microspikes may come in handy now and then. Expect some slush, ice, and bone-chilling cold rain.

Fact is, early starts yield minimal returns. For many hikers, it just ends up being a lot of zeros in town, burning up time and money.

Check out the movie "Long Start to the Journey" for an account of an early start. Tough going through the Smokies.

Venchka
10-18-2016, 21:26
A couple of random trail journals from 2013. A particularly nasty blizzard hit the southern AT late March - early April.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=433653
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=401332
Wayne

AfterParty
10-18-2016, 21:27
I went to the everglades a few years ago on a veteran outward bound trip over Thanksgiving. We canoed some pretty serious days and on the last day well into the night we paddled from the gulf back to close the Miami side and one of the guides said we killed them. It was minimal complaining from the vets. Everyone complained no one worked less. So if you want it you will get it just go that place in your head. When I do my attempt I wanna push the smokies hard minimal sleep just get past that part. I don't wanna stay in Shelters. I wish you the best.

jjozgrunt
10-18-2016, 22:28
It was minimal complaining from the vets.

I can't believe that we have a saying in the Royal Australian Regiment (Infantry) the soldiers aren't happy if they aren't bitching about something.

GriZZiLLa_Ga-Me09
10-18-2016, 22:42
Well shucks. I don't have any time limits but this thread has been real informative.

Last time I headed north from Springer Apr. 3rd. Outside of regular zeroes I had about 24 days off the trail completely for injury, work, trail days. I estimate 3-4 weeks of zeroes besides that. I ended up not finishing due to "time limit". With Maine cold as hell in early Oct. and Baxter park closure I ended my hike Oct. 11th before entering the 100 mi Wilderness. The time off for work really cost me. Not only the time at work but the lack of miles achieved once back on the trail due to having to rebuild Trail legs.

I was was planning on starting early March this time around to give myself plenty of time to take it slow early on, still take lots of zeroes, and finish sometime in September. After reading this thread and others since joining whiteblaze a couple weeks ago, I'm not so sure on my starting time. But I still wanna take it slow in the beggining to avoid I just and take plenty of days off. I think I'll be all right starting early April again

Fireplug
10-19-2016, 10:05
I met a girl on April 1st last year at Springer. She finished Aug 14th. 4 months and 2 weeks. But she did push out some 30 mile days

Tahoeturner
10-21-2016, 13:14
My start date was March 18th. I recall several cold, snowy, high wind nights, frozen water bottles in the morning, etc. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to start again on that date. The snow never lasted long on the ground. The worst of it was not being able to sleep with wind shaking my tent all night long. There's nothing like hiking a few miles in the morning before sunrise while your breath condenses in front of you. At age 66, I had no trouble averaging 16 to 22 miles per day at the start (I trained a lot before my start). You should have plenty of time.

The Roaming Gnome
10-22-2016, 10:31
My start date was March 18th. I recall several cold, snowy, high wind nights, frozen water bottles in the morning, etc. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to start again on that date. The snow never lasted long on the ground. The worst of it was not being able to sleep with wind shaking my tent all night long. There's nothing like hiking a few miles in the morning before sunrise while your breath condenses in front of you. At age 66, I had no trouble averaging 16 to 22 miles per day at the start (I trained a lot before my start). You should have plenty of time.

100% agree. I live in South Florida. Being in cold weather is a real treat. Over the holidays I was hiking in the Smokies and it was a brisk 22 degrees in the mornings and mid-sixties in the afternoons. I'll take hiking in the cold over the heat anyday.

andsoshewalks
10-23-2016, 11:53
i have a mid-august deadline bc i'll be starting a new semester. i'm giving myself 5.5 months, which i'm sure will be plenty. i might take less zero days than others but that's alright!

rafe
10-23-2016, 12:01
100% agree. I live in South Florida. Being in cold weather is a real treat. Over the holidays I was hiking in the Smokies and it was a brisk 22 degrees in the mornings and mid-sixties in the afternoons. I'll take hiking in the cold over the heat anyday.

Cold by itself is mostly bearable. Combine it with wind or precipitation, it's a lot less fun. Mostly I find cold rain to be the least pleasant outdoor condition.

George
11-10-2016, 01:22
Anyone else on a time limit by chance? My enlistment in the military is coming to an end a very convenient time, right about the end of Feb. But I am enrolling in the fall semester of the college i want to go to which starts mid Aug. I've read that the AT can take between 5-6 months but, if it ends up being 6 months i don't believe i will have enough time to get back to school before finishing.

Anyone else have a similar conflict or maybe someone with experience on this issue could shine some light on it? :confused:

In any case I'm super excited and have been waiting to take this adventure for a long time! :D

when you get into Virginia take a look at your timeline, if it looks tight, jump ahead 2-3 weeks - do this part during winter break from school when the trail will be mostly empty instead of packed

handlebar
11-10-2016, 11:25
You'll be fine. You will encounter cold weather and some snow in GA, NC, and even perhaps as far north as Mt. Rogers in VA. Keep cold wether gear at least to there. I'd carry a 15 or 20 degree bag and wool long-sleeve tops and bottoms as sleep clothes and a puffy and toque to possibly supplement bag for colder nights. Advice to have traction device such as micro spikes is good. I started Mar 15 and did encounter iced rocks in Smokies where I wished I had carried them. As to weather, snow isn't likely to be a factor for more than a few days. You won't be postholing or trudging thru miles of hip deep snow on the AT. Iced up, slippery rocks and trail will be the issue. You can always take a zero or two in the woods and stretch your food. You can probably send a lot of the cold weather gear home after Mt. Rogers. I found I never hiked in long pants on the AT---wore a kilt from Hot Springs north and ever since. To keep in your time frame and be easy on your budget, avoid zeros. I like to resupply and do motel stops as part of neros: camp at shelter 7 or so miles from town, make your shopping list that night, take off early and get into town before noon, book the motel about 11am or noon (many will let you check in early), shower, switch to town clothes (for me that's rain wrap, rain jacket, flip-flops), do laundry, eat massive town lunch, shop for resupply including frozen meals to nuke in room for dinner, snacks and fruits to eat in town, and breakfast items to eat when you get up early to head back to trail. To save more money do an "In-and-out" town stop: skip the motel, take a "bucket bath" using the sink at the washroom at the laundromat (might have to use a ziplock as a stopper), still eat massive town breakfast/lunch and fruits and veggies, do grocery shopping, and get out of town to a shelter or campsite along the trail in the afternoon. After a few weeks on the trail, I sleep better in the woods anyhow so why waste dollars and time in town. I just spent 52 days hiking the North Country Trail westbound through NY starting in. The Adirondacks and into PA thru Allegheny NF (815 miles) with only 4 motel nights, all neros. The terrain is only somewhat less challenging than the AT. At my pace (15 miles per day average including neros) you can complete the AT in under 150 days with only about 12 motel nights. I did have several nights in State Park campgrounds en route where there were showers, though I feel reasonably clean and refreshed after taking a "bucket bath" well away from the trail or water sources using a gallon ziplock freezer bag a wash basin, a washcloth (my luxury item), and a minimal amount of soap (you can get sample size bars from Dr. Bronners) only on the hands, pits, and nether regions---cold water to rinse off sweat salt suffices on the rest of your body). I. hiked at a faster pace on the Long Trail encouraged to keep up with my 24 year-old hiking partner who I met at a shelter my 3rd night on the trail. While hiking together we averaged about 17 miles per day, and the Long Trail is is as rugged as the Whites on the AT. Considering that I'm"advanced middle age" at 71, you should have no problem completing the AT. It's all a head game for anyone in reasonable shape and with some self discipline. Have a great thru hike!

pflii
11-16-2016, 21:03
Like everyone else here has said, you'll have plenty of time. I started Feb 21st, finished July 1st and it was incredible.

I was in a similar situation, starting school in mid-august and was had a hard set "get off the trail" date of August 1st for moving reasons. I had myself on a pretty strict plan for miles but then realized early on that the plan was more conservative than I needed to be and that I could make more miles than that, especially as the days got longer.

One great thing about NOBO is that the days get longer as you develop your legs. Early on, sunrise at 730 and sunset at 530 gives you 10 hours, but by the middle and end you've got light enough to hike without a headlamp by 445am and it doesn't get dark until 9ish. Early on down south there were a few cold days , but nothing that you can't handle if you go into it with open eyes and a warm sleeping bag. Lots of frosty days with rime ice on the trees, but its spectacular when the sun is beaming off the ice. I never used microspikes down south. I carried some, but never needed them (going down klingmans was a bit of an ice chute but it wasn't enough to make us hold up before going into town to put on our spikes). Then again, we got very lucky going through the smokies as early as we did.

Just start off slow and give yourself time to work into things. Don't worry about taking zeros when it comes to making up miles, and definitely don't worry about doing low miles at the beginning. If you feel like you need a day in town to recoup give yourself that time. Nearoing into town is also amazing, give yourself a few miles into town, get in early, go to a hardees with free coffee refills and gorge...idyllic. Nearos into zeroes can also be a great way to recoup, but generally its good to have someone to split a hotel with or do it at a cheap hostel if you're concerned with the budget. You'll have an awesome time, don't stress too much about the miles or the timing early on, by the time you hit Maryland through Connecticut you can easily make up the mileage you may have lost early on. Have a great hike, its a lot of fun out there

trailsROC
11-21-2016, 09:20
I will be starting law school in mid/late August, so I am planning to be done by August 1st at the latest. I'm starting on February 25th, which gives me just over 5 months to make that goal. I'm a marathon runner so I'm hoping 17-22 mile days are regularly doable once I get my trail legs. I also plan on doing more Nero days than Zero days to keep up my daily average millage and prevent myself from spending too much money in towns. If you stay focused and this is really something you want to do, just go for it and it'll work out! The trail provides :)

FiftyNine
11-21-2016, 21:23
I am lucky where I'm not on a time limit. I am doing a flip flop starting April 16th. I want to enjoy the experience. I'm normally not a fast hiker anyway. I'm going to try to keep it between 7-10 miles a day to start. What I don't want to do is burn myself out trying to reach mileage goals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

johnupton318
11-28-2016, 16:09
I began on March 13 on Springer and summitted Katahdin on August 28. I did some high mileage days, but that was mostly a comfortable speed. I also took a week off each thousand miles (not planned that way from the beginning, just worked out that way). I also took plenty of zeros. Still did it in 168 days (5 1/2 months). But I would suggest taking as much time as possible! I wish I'd have taken longer. The trail is sorely missed when you leave it.