PDA

View Full Version : Early November section hike with the wife? SNP or 603 sobo to Damascus.....input pls

saltysack
10-18-2016, 12:13
Last minute opportunity...may have a few days to do a short 3 day 30-40 mile section hike and would like to bring wife.....thinking somewhere in Va as I may have to go to Norfolk for work so could pick her up at Richmond airport....avg temps and conditions? She's not a fan of really cold weather so may be lil late in year.....thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
10-18-2016, 13:26
Last minute opportunity...may have a few days to do a short 3 day 30-40 mile section hike and would like to bring wife.....thinking somewhere in Va as I may have to go to Norfolk for work so could pick her up at Richmond airport....avg temps and conditions? She's not a fan of really cold weather so may be lil late in year.....thoughts?

there is a nice stretch south from waynesboro, VA (somewhat challenging), but it would be cold there in NOv, same as nobo into SNP. Waynesboro avg high/low is 60/35 at 1300 ft.... so you could get some cold stuff at 3-4k ft

same with around damascus. not that much warmer in the valley, and definitely can be chilly at 5,000+ ft on the trail

Assuming you are ok with the cold weather, I would recommend waynesboro SOBO because it's nice, it's close to richmond, logistics are easy with shuttles, etc. 603 south to damascus would also be nice if you don't mind the extra driving

bigcranky
10-18-2016, 13:32
It's been pretty warm lately, but in early November is usually when it starts getting reliably below freezing at night in the High Country around Mt Rogers. Probably the same in central VA (and that is a nice but very challenging section south of Waynesboro). It is a much longer drive to Damascus than Waynesboro.

johnnybgood
10-18-2016, 19:50
I'm in Richmond and it's 5 hours (with traffic) to Damascus. Safe bet is hiking SNP. Rockfish Gap (Waynesboro), is an hour 30 minutes from Midtown. Slightly longer commute coming from the airport.
The weather typical of early November in the park sees highs in the 60's , with lows in the low 40's . Perfect hiking temps with cool nights. Breezy conditions on ridges can add a bite to the actual air temperature so pack a wind shirt, light jacket for those times. Leaves will be down so the crowds will be lessened significantly and waysides closed. Big Meadows may be an exception .

Huli
10-18-2016, 21:07
We go up to Rockfish gap quite often. South on AT to the Mau-har trail. Go to hikingupward and look up three ridges loop.

Studlintsean
10-18-2016, 23:17
The weather can be hit or miss in the SNP area in November (it's 80s during the day in the area right now). Check the weather the week before and you can plan as needed but I would expect days in the 50s and nights in the upper 30s. Starting at Rockfish Gap or Frony Royal and heading north or south is a nice hike with lots of options to bail if needed. Hiking from Swift Run Gap and hiking north to Thornton Gap ending with Mary's Rock would be my suggestion. You could then fly out of Dulles or DCA if flying or take 211 to Fredricksburg and hop on 95 there. Let me know if I can offer any suggestions on logistics as I live in the area.

saltysack
10-19-2016, 07:55
Thx guys hoping this actually happens but I'll definitely keep eye on the forecast..

Spirit Walker
10-19-2016, 12:23
Looks like Skyland will still be open but the other lodges and waysides will be closed in early November. See https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/facilities-opening-schedule.htm You could make Skyland the center of your hike, so your wife gets one night indoors in the warmth. If you hike south of the Park, check hunting seasons. You might want to wear orange jic.

Trance
10-19-2016, 15:28
SMNP Was covered in Snow a year or so back on Nov1st when I was there.

I would avoid higher elevations in the cold unless you are experienced and have proper winter tents/gear. The ice, wind chill, and snow drifts can be an issue on the Southern AT late Oct till April.