PDA

View Full Version : Cookpot recommendations

dcdennis
10-18-2016, 17:36
New to lightweight/ultralite. Looking to hear some cookpot recommendations.

Hosh
10-18-2016, 17:53
Either titanium, anodized aluminum or modified beer can, but you will need to divulge your cooking style, group size, and type of stove to get much more dialed in.

dcdennis
10-18-2016, 18:22
im using a gas stove, and will generally only be going solo or with my girlfriend. looking for an actual pot as opposed to a beer can because i tend to be less than gentle with my gear.

left52side
10-18-2016, 18:40
Check out http://www.batchstovez.com Sam is a really nice guy and makes great anodized aluminum cook pots and etc.
A 10cm cook pot would be good for solo use,I used mine on my SHT thru hike and it held up like A champ.
Another budget option would be the gsi halulite minimalist set found on ebay and etc.
A not so budget item is to go with titanium anywhere from a 550 ml to a 750 ml depending how much space you need.
Have you ever thought about switching over to alcohol stoves or esbit stoves...
If so check out zelphs stove works.
http://www.woodgaz-stove.com

YoungBloodOnTrail
10-18-2016, 18:46
Check out Vargo. I've used pots by them on both of my thruhikes and really like them. Super lightweight, the .09 liter one is awesome

AfterParty
10-18-2016, 19:33
I use a snow peak trek 700 now it has measurements on it which comes in handy. But I only boil hot water in it to rehydrate meals. If you wanna go all out and cook I don't really know.

Hosh
10-18-2016, 20:08
im using a gas stove, and will generally only be going solo or with my girlfriend. looking for an actual pot as opposed to a beer can because i tend to be less than gentle with my gear.

Aluminum can be easily dented, albeit hard anodized is tougher, titanium is better. I cook FBC style using a separate zip lock container to re-hydrate in and as a bowl. My pot is 1.3 liter Evernew Titanium with out a non-stick interior since I use it for only boiling water. It is a good size of 2 people allowing extra water for hot drinks.

I use a 1.9 liter Evernew non-stick pot for larger groups or if I plan to cook/simmer meals in the cook pot.

KDogg
10-18-2016, 20:08
Not sure what you will be cooking but I ate a lot of ramen on my thru. My 0.8L Jetboil was just the right size to make ramen in. Any smaller and I would have had issues so you might consider what you will be eating before deciding on which one you get. BTW, my Jetboil was a bit heavier than a pot and regular stove head but the speed at which it boiled water made it well worth any weight penalty. It used much less fuel than my snow peak stove while it was at it too so my canisters lasted much longer.

HooKooDooKu
10-18-2016, 21:26
Check out this info: http://whiteblaze.net/forum/entry.php/8153-What-is-the-lightest-canister-stove-and-pot-combination
It's starting to get a little dated as some newer equipment isn't included. But it gives you a starting point to compare some of the tried and true pots many people seem to use.

nsherry61
10-19-2016, 08:27
I use an MSR Titan pot on most of my solo trips. The IMUSA 12 cm cups are also really popular and super inexpensive. Both options are great for solo, but a bit small for two people, although perfectly workable, depending on what and how you cook. If you're hard on gear, Titanium might be a bit more durable than aluminum, but then aluminum is better for actually cooking as apposed to just boiling water, and slightly thicker aluminum is also plenty tough for most people. I'd recommend .6 to 1.2 L for solo and 1 to 2 L for two people.

DuneElliot
10-19-2016, 08:37
I have a 700 and a 900 SP Trek titanium pots. Both awesome. The 700 has a better lid and is good with a canister stove. I prefer the 900 for the size since it works with my FF alcohol stove, plus it fits the 230ml inside it with the stove.

egilbe
10-19-2016, 09:10
I use a Snow Peak 1400 with a Caldera cone for my GF and I. It gives us enough hot water for two meals and coffee/hot/cocoa/cider/tea if we want it. She carries a snow peak 900 to eat out of. She likes the size of the fry pan lid as as a plate. She's a food separatist.

Secondmouse
10-19-2016, 11:20
a 1L anodized aluminum pot is a good starting point for a single or couple of hikers. till you know better what your particular needs are, here's a very nice but cheap one that I've used for a couple years and recommend --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PVSTYM/ref=s9_topr_hd_bw_bEGf3_g468_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0 DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=YMDKHWBNHF6KT91PTV4C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=93e9eedb-daa0-5890-8d9e-5df7c44bf367&pf_rd_i=3400641

QiWiz
10-19-2016, 12:17
I like to use a 900-1100 cc pot because I heat water for a hot beverage as well as my meal, which is cooked and eaten out of my pot. Some people manange well with smaller 600-750 cc pots. The most inexpensive option for the size I like IMO is the Stanco Aluminum Greasepot. More expensive are titanium pots, but there are bargains around. You can get both types from me as complete kits with windscreen and burner or just the pot if you are actually looking to purchase and know what you want.

Another Kevin
10-19-2016, 14:26
I'm hiker trash. I use a Grease Pot and a beverage-can stove.

MtDoraDave
10-19-2016, 15:12
I looked for sales and found a pair of nonstick titanium pots with 1 lid that fits them both for $40. It was either from Campmor or Backcountry. I think they are 1.3 and 1.7 liter... I only bring one of the pots, and inside fits my 600 ml titanium coffee cup, stove, windscreen, and the small can of gas fits inside the coffee cup.
Not exactly ultra light, since I have a pot AND a cup, but I like to have a cup of coffee while I'm eating oatmeal - or a cup of tea while I'm cooking dinner.

Another pot to consider, for faster boil times to save fuel, is the olicamp xts. It's a few ounces heavier, but if faster boil times or more fuel efficiency matters...

Kc Fiedler
10-19-2016, 21:22
Spend some time with the girlfriend researching, testing, and creating a few favorite freezer bag cooking recipes and meals.

Ditch cooking on a stove and go with freezer bag cooking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

shelb
10-19-2016, 22:36
I started out with a Jetboil. Loved how fast it was!!!! However, it was heavy. I tried a beer can stove and a cat food can stove, but they required a bit more "tweaking" than I am capable of (even though I bought them from experienced people...). I like the MSR pocket rocket with a titanium pot and spoon. It is idiot proof and light.

CarlZ993
10-19-2016, 23:16
For solo hiking, I typically carry something around the size of 1L pot. Usually titanium. This 0.9L pot is my favorite: https://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-titanium-ultra-light-9l-pot-eca252
I prefer the regular pot instead of the non-stick coating. I'll just boil my water, toss in my food, stir it a bit, turn off the stove, & put the pot in the pot cozy to finish 'cooking' (double the recommended 'cooking time' in the pot cozy). Works like a champ. Cuts down on fuel usage as well.

For a slightly cheaper titanium pot, check out the Toaksoutdoors.com.

Good luck on your quest.

Drew33
10-20-2016, 01:37

GSI soloist cookset.... i love this thing https://www.rei.com/product/830766/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-soloist-cookset

swjohnsey
10-20-2016, 06:50
A little too big is better than a little to small. I use a single pot for cooking and eating. It is the 1.3 titanium with lid. My Simmerlite will nest in it.

trailmercury
10-20-2016, 13:27
a 1L anodized aluminum pot is a good starting point for a single or couple of hikers. till you know better what your particular needs are, here's a very nice but cheap one that I've used for a couple years and recommend --

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010PVSTYM/ref=s9_topr_hd_bw_bEGf3_g468_i3?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0 DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_r=YMDKHWBNHF6KT91PTV4C&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=93e9eedb-daa0-5890-8d9e-5df7c44bf367&pf_rd_i=3400641

How much does that setup weigh?

colorado_rob
10-20-2016, 14:35
Just one more data point: I use a 900 ml pot, basically a Jetboil Sol Titanium. We find 900ml (AKA 0.9 liters) is perfect for two of us, my wife and myself. One completely full pot is perfect for two decent size cups of coffee, or for two freeze-dried meals. 900ml is way more than enough for a solo person. What I'm talking about here is for freezer bag cooking, or occasionally cooking right in the pot (which works for one, not two).

It's too bad that they discontinued the Jetboil Sol titanium... it is 8.9 ounces for stove and pot, and when fuel is considered, which the Jetboil is the champ with at efficiency (and speed), it makes for pretty much the lightest overall setup.

Alchy folks will disagree, but their fuel ways close to twice as much for the same heating value. So if you're out for more than a few days and do more than a single boil a day, their UL setup when fuel is included will match or out weight my UL setup.

Turk6177
10-20-2016, 19:03
I have the titanium snow peak solo 700 ml, but it is more narrow on the base than the evernew. To buy again, I would consider the evernew or this new MSR titanium pot that has a wider base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
10-21-2016, 09:29
A really lightweight canister combo would be a MSR Titan kettle paired with a BRS-3000T stove, with the whole kaboodle fitting easily into the kettle with a 110g canister.

Hosh
10-21-2016, 10:19
I have also become a fan of the BRS-3000T stove. It has proven to be reliable with adequate flame control. It does have a smaller radius than my Snowpeak Giga so it only suited for smaller capacity/diameter pots.

cmoulder
10-21-2016, 10:22
I have also become a fan of the BRS-3000T stove. It has proven to be reliable with adequate flame control. It does have a smaller radius than my Snowpeak Giga so it only suited for smaller capacity/diameter pots.

Agree, pretty much a water boiler... wouldn't want to have to actually cook with it, lol. Even at a low flame setting that's a very small hot spot.

Secondmouse
10-25-2016, 11:14
How much does that setup weigh?

the pot weighs 4 7/8oz and the cup weighs 3 1/8oz on my kitchen scale.

mine did not come marked with ounce gradations but the cup holds 16oz (2 cups) and the pot holds 32oz (4cups)

not bad for $11 shipped...

Odd Man Out
10-25-2016, 13:05
Anyone have experience with the Evernew ECA 267 900 mL Ultralight mug-pot?

With a 900 mL capacity, a lid, and a handle, it seems to have everything I want.
And at only 99 grams, it seems lighter than any other option I've seen. It's on my wish list.

https://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-900ml-titanium-ultra-light-mug-pot-eca267

gbolt
10-25-2016, 16:51
I just purchased the Toaks Titanium 750ml Pot with Bail Handle after using other similar pots. For me it was slightly cheaper than it's counterpart, the Snow Peek 700ml, and included the Bail Handle for use over an open flame/fire. It has measurement marks that are easier to read that what I had previously. The reviews were all positive so I am hopeful that it was worth the money. I previously used a Snow Peak Hybrid Summit which was great but no bail handle and a Silicon Rubber Lid that served as a handle grip as well. As the three little bears said, "750 ml is justttt right".

theinfamousj
10-28-2016, 23:33
My "keeper pots" are the grease pot (yes, I am hiker trash), Heineken keg pot (I made one and saved it and it is still going strong), a Jetboil, and a Snowpeak Titanium 700. I have a lot of pots.

Grease pot gets used on any stove at all because it is so cheap and so replaceable. I typically take it when car camping with someone who has a big-burner propane stove or when backpacking with someone else who insists on bringing their canister stove.

Heineken keg goes with a Fancee feast and a carbon felt windscreen/pot grab. I use it to rehydrate meals and make tea when I am in the mood.

Jetboil is a Jetboil. I bring it on trips where speed is of the essence. Or, lately, I bring it to dragon boat races (my sport) which never have enough vegetarian options of food.

The Snowpeak is combined with a titanium/wood burning Caldera Cone. My primary choice of fuel is wood. So this is my primary choice of cook pot.

Oh, and I also have a stainless steel canteen cup with its stove (and a canteen) but the thing is entirely too heavy, even if you can make a twig fire in it.

capehiker
10-29-2016, 15:24

With a 900 mL capacity, a lid, and a handle, it seems to have everything I want.
And at only 99 grams, it seems lighter than any other option I've seen. It's on my wish list.

https://www.traildesigns.com/cookware/evernew-900ml-titanium-ultra-light-mug-pot-eca267

I used this on my Thru attempt this summer and it was great for mac-n-cheese and other simple boil in pot meals. My only complaint was the lack of insulated handles. I transitioned to the Evernew 700ml pasta pot and found it be exactly what I wanted (tight fitting lid, drain holes, insulated handles).

-Rush-
10-30-2016, 11:00
New to lightweight/ultralite. Looking to hear some cookpot recommendations. I recommend the Toaks 750ML cup/pot. It's all I use anymore. I can cook in it if need be, but otherwise I boil water and drink coffee out of it. The cozy that comes with it works well too. Just make sure you also get a long spoon.

yaduck9
10-30-2016, 13:13

http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/cookware/simple-cooking/alpine-stowaway-pots/product

https://www.vargooutdoors.com/1-3-liter-titanium-pot.html#.WBYqD8nOV-w

zelph
11-04-2016, 20:54

I got a Toaks 900 from Toaks and I'm beginning to really like it. I'm building a kit around it.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium900mlpot.aspx

Kaptainkriz
11-04-2016, 21:56
Sounds interesting. Whats thr 900 weigh?

I got a Toaks 900 from Toaks and I'm beginning to really like it. I'm building a kit around it.

http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium900mlpot.aspx

nsherry61
11-04-2016, 22:02
Sounds interesting. Whats thr 900 weigh?
Read the link. :D

Martzy13
11-04-2016, 22:45
GSI PINNACLE SOLOIST user here as well, very pleased with the size, weight and durability.

Kaptainkriz
11-05-2016, 08:38
Read the link. :D
arrr, I missed it the 1st read, thanks!

zelph
11-05-2016, 09:42
Here is what Trail Designs says about it:

"This is the LIGHTEST 900ml pot you can buy! The highly popular 900ml titanium pots that most ultralight hikers use now has a new superultralight entrant! The good folks at Toaks have come up with a killer design that is lighter than all the current brands out there and works with our Sidewinder! It includes large fold out insulated handles and a mesh stuff sack with a pocket for your spork or lighter!

josh_ATL
11-14-2016, 04:03
None...stoveless is the most ultralight way to go

Rex Clifton
11-16-2016, 16:24
With me, when I hike solo (which is most of the time) I use the Trek 700 that I use with either a Soto gas stove or as part of a Caldera Cone system. With a partner, I take a 12 cm Imusa mug, with a lid made by Batchstovz, that I use with a Fancy Feast alcohol stove. Don't buy the hype about aluminum bending easily, the Imusa is plenty strong.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Five Tango
11-16-2016, 18:24
I like most anything with a handle on it.Feel like an idiot dealing with a pot grabber tool and having to use a glove or bandana to handle a hot pot is not my favorite thing to do either.That said,I keep a small piece of carbon felt in my kit to grab a handle with;easier than a bandana and more convenient than finding a glove.

Rex Clifton
11-16-2016, 22:10
I like most anything with a handle on it.Feel like an idiot dealing with a pot grabber tool and having to use a glove or bandana to handle a hot pot is not my favorite thing to do either.That said,I keep a small piece of carbon felt in my kit to grab a handle with;easier than a bandana and more convenient than finding a glove.
Don't use the carbon felt as a pot grabber if it's wet. I learned the hard way that the porous felt will turn the water into stream and give you a nasty burn.

CarlZ993
11-16-2016, 22:18

I also own that one was well. It is lighter than the short & wide 0.9L Evernew pot. I find that my mug/pot's lid doesn't seat correctly on top of the pot. The lid will rotate & rattle some. I don't handle rattles on the trail. If it didn't rattle, I'd carry it more often.

Five Tango
11-17-2016, 06:08
Don't use the carbon felt as a pot grabber if it's wet. I learned the hard way that the porous felt will turn the water into stream and give you a nasty burn.

Thanks for the heads up!

zelph
11-23-2016, 20:20
With my Toaks 900 and a DIY windscreen/pot support I've been able to boil 3 cups of water with 1 regular size esbit. The windscreen fits inside as seen in the photo.

Kaptainkriz
11-23-2016, 20:24
Ah, I've been wondering about how the screen nests inside. Interesting.