PDA

View Full Version : Decided on a new fleece layer...

poolskaterx
10-18-2016, 21:28
So I hesitantly will be replacing my heavy knit wool sweater (18oz) with a new layer.

After much research I purchased the newest revision of the Patagonia R1 full zip fleece.

Seems like a very popular and beloved shirt.
I should have it in the next week just in time for a 3 day trip up into desolation wilderness in the Sierras; I do this trip every year with a couple of buddies and we have experienced temps in November ranging from 65 and sunny down to 0 with over 100 mph winds, we even got a couple feet of snow last year.
I will let y'all know what I think of it once I get it but until then I would love to hear experiences with this piece of gear if you care to share.

Martzy
10-18-2016, 22:28
I just bought one from Praha here on Whiteblaze, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It fit exactly into my layering system, I was missing a layer between my thin base and my puffy. Haven't had a chance to field-test it yet, but I walked to and from class in 55*F damp weather and was a bit too toasty. I think that bodes well. Let me know when you get a chance to put it through its paces.
Side note: Praha is selling some solid gear right now, if I could rate the buying/shipping experience, it'd be a 5 start for sure. Thanks!

burger
10-18-2016, 22:43
As a more or less UL hiker, I've never understood the role of a fleece jacket. It's too warm to hike in most of the time (a rain jacket or windshirt usually works fine, and my rain jacket and windshirt combined weigh 3 oz. less than the R1. If I wear both together, I can hike down to well below freezing comfortably). But a fleece is not as warm as a puffy jacket, which will serve you better for hanging around camp or sleeping and probably weigh less than the R1 if you get a lightweight model.

The R1 sounds like an improvement over the wool sweater, but if you really aspire to go UL, you can probably do better. In the future, I would suggest thinking more about clothing systems (like a windshirt + rain jacket) and less about replacing individual items.

scrabbler
10-18-2016, 22:57
Sounds like an interesting system Burger, care to let us know what specifically you are using?

shelb
10-18-2016, 23:05
Burger, I, too, am interested; however, I do not hike in freezing weather. I hike in late spring (in Michigan) and summer in Michigan and on the A.T. I am trying to go more U.L. - without breaking the budget.... Currently, I am down to 26.5 # skin out with 1 day of water and 5 days of food...

Martzy
10-18-2016, 23:12
Neither I nor poolskater mentioned UL though.....just that we both decided on a new fleece layer.

burger
10-19-2016, 00:40
My windshirt is a Patagonia Houdini--several years old now. Maybe 3 oz.
Rain jacket is an O2 Rainshield--fragile but very light and breathable. 6 oz. iirc.
Puffy is a Patagonia Nanopuff pullover at 9 or 10 oz., I think. I don't even bring it with me unless I'm expecting cold nights. And I almost never wear it hiking--maybe just for the first 10 minutes of the day on a very cold morning before I warm up. It's pretty much just for use in camp and while sleeping.

As for breaking the bank, the Patagonia jackets weren't cheap. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives, but I haven't been in the market for a new jacket for years, so I can't help with specific suggestions. The O2 Rainshield is like $30. FroggToggs jackets are made from similar material and similarly priced.

There are loads and loads of good resources for UL hiking on and offline. Backpackinglight.com is one place to start (though the site isn't as good as it used to be). There several books, too.

Martzy, the OP's profile says "UL wannabe," so I thought I'd chime in. I won't be offended if you ignore my unsolicited advice.

left52side
10-19-2016, 05:15
Zpacks just came out with A full zip fleece I am looking into to replace my mountain hardwear micro lite.
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/fleece_jacket.shtml

Cheyou
10-19-2016, 05:44
I just use a cheep 9oz fleece 1/4 zip. No need to spend big money item. Works great under a wind jacket .

thom

jjozgrunt
10-19-2016, 07:56
I bought a couple of different White Sierra fleece 1/4 zips that were very cheap but very warm as part of a layering system. I've used them alone as a long sleeve shirt on cold windy days or over a merino t-shirt.

https://www.whitesierra.com/collections/mens-tops

That's their website but I bought them cheaper on Amazon.

JC13
10-19-2016, 09:48
Neither I nor poolskater mentioned UL though.....just that we both decided on a new fleece layer.Since this is posted in the Ultra-Light Hikers forum section, I'm sure people assumed that UL was implied. Grats on the new gear.

DuneElliot
10-19-2016, 10:59
I'm another who carries a fleece in cooler weather and a long-sleeved synthetic t-shirt in warmer weather, as well as my puffy. My puffy is generally only used morning and evening and thus buried with my sleeping bag. I use the fleece/synthetic layer when I stop for lunch...sometimes a t-shirt just isn't enough in the mountains, and a puffy is too much when all you're doing is trying to cut the effects of the breeze, especially when the sun goes behind clouds or you are under tree cover.

Secondmouse
10-19-2016, 11:11
As a more or less UL hiker, I've never understood the role of a fleece jacket. It's too warm to hike in most of the time (a rain jacket or windshirt usually works fine, and my rain jacket and windshirt combined weigh 3 oz. less than the R1. If I wear both together, I can hike down to well below freezing comfortably). But a fleece is not as warm as a puffy jacket, which will serve you better for hanging around camp or sleeping and probably weigh less than the R1 if you get a lightweight model.

The R1 sounds like an improvement over the wool sweater, but if you really aspire to go UL, you can probably do better. In the future, I would suggest thinking more about clothing systems (like a windshirt + rain jacket) and less about replacing individual items.

your take is interesting as almost everyone, including some who really have earned their stripes in the UL community, recommend a light fleece in a clothing layering system...

Kc Fiedler
10-19-2016, 11:23
So I hesitantly will be replacing my heavy knit wool sweater (18oz) with a new layer.

After much research I purchased the newest revision of the Patagonia R1 full zip fleece.

I should have it in the next week just in time for a 3 day trip up into desolation wilderness in the Sierras; I do this trip every year with a couple of buddies and we have experienced temps in November ranging from 65 and sunny down to 0 with over 100 mph winds, we even got a couple feet of snow last year.
I will let y'all know what I think of it once I get it but until then I would love to hear experiences with this piece of gear if you care to share.
I've been using mine for about 6 years in all conditions and wear it religiously both frontcountry and backcountry.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

poolskaterx
10-19-2016, 11:23
I enjoy all the input! The R1 is replacing the wool sweater that I ONLY would use in camp when it is really cold but was always too much for any active use. I think I'll be able to use this new fleece over my base layer when it is cold when hiking without wind and I have a marmot essence 7oz jacket I use for wind and rain. The wool sweater is the last piece out of my original kit that I am replacing, it was not dual purpose enough (and pretty heavy, bulky, and takes forever to dry if it gets wet; I admit it has been my security blanket as I know that I would be warm when I brought it... time to try something new. I can't wait to get out and use this new piece.

Hikingjim
10-19-2016, 11:39
sounds like you are just going to use the fleece the way people use a light down puffy or a synthetic jacket (eg: thermoball)
Slightly heavier than some options, but a nice upgrade from what you had, and full zip will allow you to moderate temps a lot better than a 1/4 zip

burger
10-19-2016, 11:59
your take is interesting as almost everyone, including some who really have earned their stripes in the UL community, recommend a light fleece in a clothing layering system...

I just did a little searching on BPL and a few other sites, and it's definitely not true that "almost everyone" recommends a fleece. You can find plenty of 3-season UL gear lists where the only insulated clothing layer is a puffy jacket.

My philosophy is that a warm "mid layer" is not necessary at all unless you're hiking in winter. For other times of year, you probably already have a rain jacket with you. Add a 3-oz. windshirt to your rain jacket, and you have a versatile and extremely lightweight layering system that can take on a wide range of conditions, from warm+buggy to cold+wet. Fleece is just too warm to hike in most of the time since your body is producing heat. Plus, you can also modulate your body temperature with gloves, a warm hat, or the hood of your jacket(s). I am continually amazed at how much warmer I feel while hiking when I pull up the hood on my windshirt.

If it gets really cold, you can always hike in your insulated jacket (some people with down jackets worry about getting the down wet from sweat or rain, but I've known others who regularly hike in their down puffies). But I wouldn't consider a fleece jacket for my insulation layer--fleece is heavier and less warm than a good synthetic puffy or almost any down puffy.

Clothing is very individual, so I do not claim to speak for everyone, but I suspect that a lot of hikers would be surprised to discover how warm you can stay hiking in a windshirt or windshirt + rain jacket. The weight savings make it more than worthwhile. YMMV.

poolskaterx
10-19-2016, 13:07
Yeah I went with full zip for two reasons, first for hiking I can regulate temps as at high elevation; a cloud covering the sun can change temps 20+ or - degrees, and second because I think I will use this piece around town for casual wear because "I" think it looks pretty nice. (even more dual purpose)
I did forget to mention that I bring along a 6oz puffy down vest too, so really I have: base layer (smartwool or synthetic), vented LS hiking shirt with UV and bug protection, the new Patagonia fleece (instead of my good ol' wool sweater), light down vest, along with my wind/rain jacket... I also have a frogtogs poncho just in-case I have to hike in the rain. I am pretty certain this will be a pretty bombproof 3.5-4 season set up. When hiking I am never too concerned with warmth with the exception of wetting out in icy/snowy conditions.

poolskaterx
10-19-2016, 13:14
I just did a little searching on BPL and a few other sites, and it's definitely not true that "almost everyone" recommends a fleece. You can find plenty of 3-season UL gear lists where the only insulated clothing layer is a puffy jacket.

My philosophy is that a warm "mid layer" is not necessary at all unless you're hiking in winter. For other times of year, you probably already have a rain jacket with you. Add a 3-oz. windshirt to your rain jacket, and you have a versatile and extremely lightweight layering system that can take on a wide range of conditions, from warm+buggy to cold+wet. Fleece is just too warm to hike in most of the time since your body is producing heat. Plus, you can also modulate your body temperature with gloves, a warm hat, or the hood of your jacket(s). I am continually amazed at how much warmer I feel while hiking when I pull up the hood on my windshirt.

If it gets really cold, you can always hike in your insulated jacket (some people with down jackets worry about getting the down wet from sweat or rain, but I've known others who regularly hike in their down puffies). But I wouldn't consider a fleece jacket for my insulation layer--fleece is heavier and less warm than a good synthetic puffy or almost any down puffy.

Clothing is very individual, so I do not claim to speak for everyone, but I suspect that a lot of hikers would be surprised to discover how warm you can stay hiking in a windshirt or windshirt + rain jacket. The weight savings make it more than worthwhile. YMMV.

Keeping warm when hiking is not generally my issue, just fine tuning the gear I bring to have more purpose. I am pretty lean and if I get cold my body does not work well and it is difficult for me to get warm again so I probably am more cautious than many about warmth; my goal is to have a use for everything in my pack this next trip.

DuneElliot
10-19-2016, 13:48
Keeping warm when hiking is not generally my issue, just fine tuning the gear I bring to have more purpose. I am pretty lean and if I get cold my body does not work well and it is difficult for me to get warm again so I probably am more cautious than many about warmth; my goal is to have a use for everything in my pack this next trip.

This is generally the same issue for me...lean and have a hard time getting warm again.

poolskaterx
10-25-2016, 18:26
OK, got the R1 full zip Medium fleece shirt and have tired it for a few evenings out. So far these are the things I have noticed:

1. This is a very thin, technical piece: when you hold it to the light you can see right through it. If there is a breeze you can feel it but without a breeze it is incredibly warm.
2. Construction is top notch and is VERY comfortable for a close fitting piece; I could wear this right next to my bear skin it feels so nice.
3. Super easy to slide my Marmot medium size Essence jacket over due to the smooth finish on the outside of the shirt.
4. When I zip it all the way up it is still super comfy and I can zip it wide open for cooling.
5. packs down WAY smaller than the old thick wool sweater... verdict is still not in about if it will keep me warm enough when the temps drop

In 2 weeks I will give it a full comparison against the "old wool sweater" and let those that have been on the fence about replacing their tried and true warmth layer with the new technology in on what i find.
Here is a closer look at the fabric from the inside of the shirt:
Stay tuned.

bobbycobbler
10-27-2016, 14:48
Terramar makes a hoody called an Ecolator 3.0 for around $50. Grid fleece with hand warmer pockets and zip chest pocket. Comes in around 11-12 oz. I LOVE mine. Its my go to mid layer down to the low 40's. It gets swapped out for a puffy for colder temps, but it is a great piece of gear.

https://www.backcountryedge.com/terramar-mens-3-ecolator-full-zip-hoodie.html?gclid=CI280cPS-88CFU88gQodr0wBJw#284=1634

jimmyjam
10-27-2016, 20:00
I like to use layers so I prefer taking my REI half zip fleece with my MYOG thin synthetic vest. Then I can wear my T shirt add my LS shirt add my fleece and or vest if needed and finally cover it all with my wind shirt. if I take my puffy jacket I leave my fleece and vest at home but I do not feel I cover as many temperature ranges as the first combo. The fleece and vest weigh the same as the puffy.

poolskaterx
10-27-2016, 21:22
Temp ranges for my trips can be 60 during the day and down to 10 at night. In the past I have brought full smartwool base for sleeping and if it is crazy cold I can wear it during the day (i really try to just use it as sleep wear) During the day I have base layer of smartwool or synthetic, ls or ss hiking shirt, the old wool sweater, puffy down vest, marmot essence jacket works as wind breaker and rain protection. The grid fleece is interesting since it allows so much airflow through... I am looking forward to seeing how it works out on my up and coming adventure (18 days and counting!!!)

FreeGoldRush
10-27-2016, 23:05
What is the reason for taking a wind jacket and a rain jacket? I have the Zpacks rain jacket, which is very lightweight and compact. Does it not work well as a wind jacket? Maybe the wind jacket is good for heavy mosquitoes in summer.

poolskaterx
10-28-2016, 03:11
What is the reason for taking a wind jacket and a rain jacket? I have the Zpacks rain jacket, which is very lightweight and compact. Does it not work well as a wind jacket? Maybe the wind jacket is good for heavy mosquitoes in summer.

Oops, you must have misunderstood. Wind jacket and rain jacket are one in the same; just the marmot essence jacket does both.

Venchka
10-28-2016, 06:27
How much does the new R1 fleece thing weigh?
At 18, ounces your wool sweater was not heavy.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheyou
10-28-2016, 06:47

Rain in jackets don't breathe well.

Thom

Venchka
10-28-2016, 07:12
If a shirt is effective at blocking wind it won't breathe well either.
Wayne

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 08:18
Wayne

My rain and wind jacket are the same thing also...I never figured out the reason for having both. If it blocks water it will block wind.

FreeGoldRush
10-28-2016, 08:43
My rain and wind jacket are the same thing also...I never figured out the reason for having both. If it blocks water it will block wind.

Zpacks sells each. Guess I should just call them and ask what the difference is. Their wind jacket is even lighter than the rain jacket.

cmoulder
10-28-2016, 08:48
Or get a Montbell Versalite.

Good for moderate/occasional rain (but not non-stop, multi-day deluges IMO, but then what is?) and a great wind jacket. It has pit zips, great hood, hand pockets, good cuff adjustment, hem cinch and weighs 6.8 oz (actual weight of my men's M)

Sandy of PA
10-28-2016, 08:55

18 ounces is heavier than my sleeping bag, how can you say that is not heavy for a wool sweater?

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 09:15
18 ounces is heavier than my sleeping bag, how can you say that is not heavy for a wool sweater?

It's not heavy for what it is, "for a wool sweater" but that doesn't define it as light necessarily

Venchka
10-28-2016, 09:55

Because I found fleece pullovers that weigh 18 ounces.
An 18 ounce sleeping bag will run out of warm in the 30s. In my experience, where I use them, a sleeping bag needs 20 ounces of down to work in the teens or a little below.
It's all relative.
Wayne

burger
10-28-2016, 10:14

Having both means you can layer them together while hiking. For me, this works down to below freezing. As a result, I don't need a mid-layer, and I don't need more than a light insulated jacket to wear around camp. Once it gets really cold in camp, I'm in my sleeping bag.

Like I said above, my rain jacket is 6 oz. My windshirt is 3. Combined, that's less than most people's rain jackets anyway.

poolskaterx
10-28-2016, 11:43
Wayne

So the R1 is 12.2 oz and the wool sweater is 23oz.
Honestly the weight is a consideration but more the usefulness; I ONLY have used the sweater in camp as it is so warm but I can not be active in it without overheating. It is hard to move from a trusted piece to a new piece that "seems" too good to be true. So far for daily use this R1 is pretty great.

I have to admit... I carry a poncho also to hike in when rain is really coming down, although the marmot essence breathes pretty good it is no where as nice as my simple poncho.

Cheyou
10-28-2016, 12:48

You our need to try a wind jacket to know the difference. Rain jackets are not good wind jackets.
but HYOH

thom

jeffmeh
10-28-2016, 13:25
You our need to try a wind jacket to know the difference. Rain jackets are not good wind jackets.
but HYOH

thom

Nor are wind jackets good rain jackets. :)

Cheyou
10-28-2016, 13:57
Nor are wind jackets good rain jackets. :)

U have got it. But sadly most rain jackets aren't even good rain jackets.

Thom

Venchka
10-28-2016, 14:00
So the R1 is 12.2 oz and the wool sweater is 23oz.
Honestly the weight is a consideration but more the usefulness; I ONLY have used the sweater in camp as it is so warm but I can not be active in it without overheating. It is hard to move from a trusted piece to a new piece that "seems" too good to be true. So far for daily use this R1 is pretty great.

I have to admit... I carry a poncho also to hike in when rain is really coming down, although the marmot essence breathes pretty good it is no where as nice as my simple poncho.

That's a whole nother story.
Wayne

poolskaterx
10-28-2016, 16:46
ha,ha! Yes it is. Rain gear is a whole different subject... SO, back to this R1.

Wore it out last night in pouring rain at 50 degrees with just a t-shirt on underneath and my umbrella to shield the rain. Loved it! I have also been wearing it into work each, definitely more multi-purpose than the sweater.

Oh, and just an update- I made a mistake on when I am going out next: ONLY 12 days away!!!!!!!! WooHoo!

The Cleaner
10-28-2016, 21:02
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk I have a Marmot Trail Wind hoody @ 4ozs and less than $50.I found out that if you use your breathable rain jacket for a wind jacket you will reduce it's lifetime by clogging up the pores with sweat and when you need it for rain protection it's about useless.If you can't pack an extra 3-4 ozs for a windshirt that will extend the life of a more expensive rain jacket then it's your loss.This UL thing just goes too far.I meet springtime NOBOs who have to leave the trail when a late spring cold spell arrives.

The Cleaner
10-28-2016, 21:26
OK, got the R1 full zip Medium fleece shirt and have tired it for a few evenings out. So far these are the things I have noticed:

1. This is a very thin, technical piece: when you hold it to the light you can see right through it. If there is a breeze you can feel it but without a breeze it is incredibly warm.
2. Construction is top notch and is VERY comfortable for a close fitting piece; I could wear this right next to my bear skin it feels so nice.
3. Super easy to slide my Marmot medium size Essence jacket over due to the smooth finish on the outside of the shirt.
4. When I zip it all the way up it is still super comfy and I can zip it wide open for cooling.
5. packs down WAY smaller than the old thick wool sweater... verdict is still not in about if it will keep me warm enough when the temps drop

In 2 weeks I will give it a full comparison against the "old wool sweater" and let those that have been on the fence about replacing their tried and true warmth layer with the new technology in on what i find.
Here is a closer look at the fabric from the inside of the shirt:
Stay tuned.

I don't see many using Patagonia's Dual Aspect Hoody.It's MSRP is $200+ but you can find them for $125 if you look around.It's made with 2 fabrics and can be used alone or under a shell if it's really cold.36736The front and sleeves use Polartec Power Shield,windproof and water resistant and Polartect Power Grid under the arms and on the back to breathe better and vent some heat.It has a balaclava type hood which fits under a helmet.Also the tighter fitting hood reduces flapping in high winds.It's also comfortable enough to sleep in if you need to.It is a bit heavy @18ozs. but you may be able to leave something else behind to compensate. I was wearing it here in Shining Rock Wilderness in late March when the temp was near 50* but 30-40mph winds added a wicked wind chill.All I had on underneath was a lightweight wool baselayer and was fine.

poolskaterx
11-09-2016, 19:17
So excited!!! I leave in the morning for my trip, I will post how the fleece worked for me when I get back. Looks like perfect sunny weather with highs at 60 and lows at about 30, I can hardly wait. Talk with you all next week:)

poolskaterx
11-14-2016, 21:08
Just got back in from my trip; it was amazing! Now what you have all been waiting for.... the review.

Problem= old wool sweater was warm and reliable but heavy and only usable in rare instances around camp or sleeping, minimal use and heavy - crazy long dry time if it gets wet
Solution= Patagonia R1 full zip fleece so much lighter, multi use for in camp and while hiking and for layering when sleeping - drys very quickly

Used the R1 in temps from mid 20's and up to about the mid 60's; I LOVE IT.

Ok, if there is a breeze it literally blows right through this so you need a windbreaker. With a wind breaker and LS wool thermal I was comfortable outside to about 30 dergees, I put my puffy down vest on and was fine down into the 20's while in camp.

NOTE: If I am not moving I get cold easily with very low body fat.

I used this fleece in the morning while also wearing a Wicked Lite t base layer while hiking uphill in the upper 30's into the mid 50's and was comfortable and not sweaty. It is so light and is easy to take off and quickly stash or pull it back out and put back on if getting chilled.

I slept in this each night along with my wool thermal top; one night into the 20's and had it unzipped the second night in the 30's and was so comfortable, it is not bulky; easily fit in my igneo bag with the layers (fyi pretty slim sleeping bag)

I do not miss the old wool sweater and have no doubt that I made a huge improvement in my kit with this; I would highly recommend this fleece for anyone who finds themselves in my same scenario; if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.
Oh, and if you were curious: I am not sponsored and ​I paid full price for this fleece; my only reason for posting is to help others that are trying to figure out how to utilize their gear better.

Venchka
11-14-2016, 21:29
Fleece's best feature: wide comfort range.
Some fleece's worst feature: wind whistles through.
You are cold natured. Do you get over it after several days in the field?
There's a time and place for wool and wind proof fleece. Like February in Kazakhstan. Midnight to 6 am bus ride. Down parka in my duffle bag on the baggage truck. Heater in the bus croaks. 0 Fahrenheit or below on the bus. Wool and fleece saved me. The down parka never left my side again.
Glad you like the new jacket. Good fleece is a winner.
Wayne

Soggybottom
11-14-2016, 21:46

Try the Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody. I replaced my fleece with this.

poolskaterx
11-15-2016, 13:34
Try the Patagonia Nano Air Light Hoody. I replaced my fleece with this.

Already found the replacement with the new R1, this is the review of how it worked. Thanks for your input though.

poolskaterx
Just got back in from my trip; it was amazing! Now what you have all been waiting for.... the review.

Problem= old wool sweater was warm and reliable but heavy and only usable in rare instances around camp or sleeping, minimal use and heavy - crazy long dry time if it gets wet
Solution= Patagonia R1 full zip fleece so much lighter, multi use for in camp and while hiking and for layering when sleeping - drys very quickly

Ok, if there is a breeze it literally blows right through this so you need a windbreaker. With a wind breaker and LS wool thermal I was comfortable outside to about 30 dergees, I put my puffy down vest on and was fine down into the 20's while in camp.

I used this fleece in the morning while also wearing a Wicked Lite t base layer while hiking uphill in the upper 30's into the mid 50's and was comfortable and not sweaty. It is so light and is easy to take off and quickly stash or pull it back out and put back on if getting chilled.

I slept in this each night along with my wool thermal top; one night into the 20's and had it unzipped the second night in the 30's and was so comfortable, it is not bulky; easily fit in my igneo bag with the layers (fyi pretty slim sleeping bag)

I do not miss the old wool sweater and have no doubt that I made a huge improvement in my kit with this; I would highly recommend this fleece for anyone who finds themselves in my same scenario; if you have any questions I would be happy to answer them for you.
Oh, and if you were curious: I am not sponsored and ​I paid full price for this fleece; my only reason for posting is to help others that are trying to figure out how to utilize their gear better.

Soggybottom
11-21-2016, 16:03
Already found the replacement with the new R1, this is the review of how it worked. Thanks for your input though.

poolskaterx

I added the Anorak over it and added the merino air hoody as a base layer. I am receiving them in the mail tomorrow.

levibarry
11-22-2016, 00:40
poolskaterx

How is the fit? What size did you get?
You said you had a t-shirt under it, what type? Thanks for the
mini-review.
TIA

levibarry

poolskaterx
11-23-2016, 13:43
poolskaterx

mini-review.
TIA

levibarry

(For the record I go back and forth on Medium to Large as I hate it when my clothes are too tight and I tend to be right in the middle between the two sizes)
I purchased the medium and I am 160 w wide shoulders but smaller frame about 5'10 on a good day. I had no problem with any of the layers I have tried; wicked lite-T from mountain hardware, NRS LS spf50 shirt, SmartWoll LS merino base, and I have worn it multiple times to work with just a standard cotton T or even a polo shirt; in camp I wore it for just a little with no layer next to the skin-very comfortable. It fits close but does not feel like a sausage casing even when adding layers underneath as it has a really nice stretch to it. I am quite pleased with the performance and would recommend.

Venchka
11-23-2016, 19:25
This must be a record. 3 pages for a fleece jacket. It's just fleece.
[emoji2][emoji106][emoji41]
At this rate, my closet could fill a Forum of its own.
Enjoy!
Wayne

Huli
11-24-2016, 12:08
So much info!
Just want to say, I had an R1 and ditched it for the new "thermal weight" version of the same cut. I find the R1, while warmer, dries much slower and caused me issues. Ran a Marathon in the thermal weight at 40*, it was perfect.

poolskaterx
11-25-2016, 14:08
This must be a record. 3 pages for a fleece jacket. It's just fleece.
[emoji2][emoji106][emoji41]
At this rate, my closet could fill a Forum of its own.
Enjoy!
Wayne

Lol! The only reason I posted on this topic is because when I went to research I had a difficult time finding "real" info on this piece and could not find one locally to check out; it is a not a cheap piece for "just" a fleece...

I hope my experience and info may be helpful to others who find themselves in the same situation.👍🏻👍🏻

Huli
11-26-2016, 11:56
Good call buddy. I researched for about 2 months before buying. At the costs possibly going over $200 for a set, I don't take it lightly.

poolskaterx
11-26-2016, 16:17
Good call buddy. I researched for about 2 months before buying. At the costs possibly going over $200 for a set, I don't take it lightly.

I usually buy my gear second hand however when researching for the R1 I found that even used one (over 5 years old) were going for over $50-60 if still looking good! I found mine from an ebay store "new" for $110 shipped and it's so nice, I'm wearing it now as I type and sip coffee. Yep it was about 2months of looking for me too, lol!

Soggybottom
11-29-2016, 22:14
[QUOTE=levibarry;2106190][COLOR=#000000][I]poolskaterx

mini-review.
TIA

Here is the set I have

M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT HOODY, Campfire Orange (CMPO)
M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT HOODY
Item No.: 84280
Color: Campfire Orange (CMPO)
Size: XL
Price $249.00

M'S M10 ANORAK, Campfire Orange (CMPO)
M'S M10 ANORAK
Item No.: 84165
Price $379.00

M'S MERINO AIR BOTTOMS, Forge Grey w/Forge Grey (FEG)
M'S MERINO AIR BOTTOMS
Item No.: 36465
Color: Forge Grey w/Forge Grey (FEG)
Size: L
Price $129.00

M'S MERINO AIR HOODY, Campfire Orange (CMPO)
M'S MERINO AIR HOODY
Item No.: 36390
Price $149.00

M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT PANTS, Black (BLK)
M'S NANO-AIR LIGHT PANTS
Item No.: 84300
Color: Black (BLK)
Price $149.00

M'S GALVANIZED PANTS, Black (BLK)
M'S GALVANIZED PANTS
Item No.: 83155
Color: Black (BLK)
Price $299.00

The merino hoody is an awesome base layer and has a hood. Feels almost like soft thermals. Uber light too. For gram weenies I would highly recommend this setup. The mid layer is my goto piece for everyday use. The nanoair light hoody that is. It is lighter than my Patagonia fleece and my Patagonia down sweater and I don't sweat in it. It breathes and to complete this set I have the anorak. Great to stop the wind, rain or snow. Wearing the pants with this setup keeps the wind from hitting you on the belt line with other pants. I am really glad I invested in this setup. They claim it is great for alpine use like climbing etc. it is great for long distance backpacking in cooler weather.

egilbe
11-29-2016, 22:39
The only problem I have with hoods is that I have a long neck and no one makes wool hoodies for tall people. Yje necks are too short!

Soggybottom
11-30-2016, 12:13
I recommend the men's nano air light hoody in lieu of the fleece. I use fleeces from Patagonia but the problem is they are bulky, don't breathe and they don't have a hood. Check it out. With a merino base layer and the hoody it makes a nice setup. You can even add the matching anorak to make the setup wind and waterproof.

poolskaterx
12-01-2016, 14:42
The only problem I have with hoods is that I have a long neck and no one makes wool hoodies for tall people. Yje necks are too short!

I am also not a fan of attached hoods. I prefer to have separate pieces, like a long fleece beanie (zpacks) and a super light (1oz) baklava that I can use multi purpose.

Soggybottom (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php/52179-Soggybottom) "Here is the set I have..." impressive list but holy smokes, $1354!!! That is a pretty hefty spend.

I think I may be in a different economic bracket,lol.

R1 hoody off ebay $98.

Marmot Essence off ebay $25

smartwool merino base bottoms REI garage sale, had to sew 1 rip. $15

smartwool merino top REI garge sale, sewed up two rips. $20

PEARL IZUMI thermal zip tights, had em for years from cycling but I think about $40 my cost, now about $110

REI Classic Sahara Convertible Pants REI garge sale, had to fix the zipper fly $10

My total is give or take about $208... it did take me 2 years to acquire these items though (not including the fleece tights I have had for 20 years)

I love how we all enjoy the same activity with such an economic diversity; don't get me wrong, I can afford to spend more but the search is all part of the fun for me.

P.S., pretty fancy kit Soggybottom!

Soggybottom
12-01-2016, 18:53

I always have a gaiter for my neck. Or a buff.

bret
12-05-2016, 09:22
If you don't need a hood Lands End half zip fleece is hard to beat for price and weight. 8oz for Large and about $20 on sale.

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-fleece-half-zip-pullover/id_287462_59

I've hiked in medium base-layer + this + wind-shirt at 5F. At campsite also needed down jacket.

fastfoxengineering
12-05-2016, 14:08
I picked up an Eastern Mountain Sports power stretch hoodie off an after season clearance rack for $40 right before I hiked the Long Trail in 2014. I have been using and abusing it since. It has holes, it has burn marks, it probably smells funky permanently, but it works great as a layering piece, has a good weight to it, perfoms very well, and has become one of my favorite pieces for anything I do. Hell my gf steals it all the time.

It is getting pretty beat up though. And it's starting to look too beat up for casual/social wear outside of some sort of outdoor/sporty activity. When it was new it was sleek enough to wear out with a t shirt under it.

I think I'll be looking for a replacement soon but I will not be buying a new power stretch at full price.

Im looking at the melanzana and ZPacks fleece offerings. I kinda want a full zip again, but don't really want one in just black. Alot of people really enjoy their melanzana stuff

TNshadetree
03-29-2019, 18:48
I struggled with the decision of what insulating layer to take for an early spring AT section. I figured my down jacket would be to hot to hike in, but possibly needed in camp in the evening. But I didn't want to carry the weight of a fleece jacket too. Then I happened to find a fleece vest at a discount store. $8 and only 11 oz's. Perfect to throw on during lunch h breaks or hike in if it turns winter again.

MikekiM
04-22-2019, 21:10
I wanted to add a Melenzana Micro Grid Hoodie for a while... but I am not into paying twice the normal retail price and I don't live near Colorado to buy in the store. Came close to dropping my REI dividend on a Patagonia R1. While browsing a local Old Navy I found the Go-Warm hoodie. It's a really nice micro grid hoodie with a quarter zip. Weight is just under 11 oz. Wore it on two recent multi day trips and fell in love with it. Vents easily, very warm, sleeves are a perfect length when down and stay up when pushed up. While others were adding layers I was fine with just a base layer and the hoodie. Likewise, when others were peeling layers I just unzipped and pushed up the sleeves.

Best part... it was advertised as $13.. but I got it on sale for $11. Went back and bought a second one.

poolskaterx
04-26-2019, 14:26
Well, it’s been a few years with the R1; I love it! Stretchy, warm, ventilated, compact, quick drying, multi purpose, still looks great after a ton of use. I highly recommend. :)

Five Tango
04-27-2019, 09:59
Anyone else have a Columbia OutDry jacket? I read mixed reviews and had some REI dividends to spend so I tried one.I think I like it after a brief initial test but have not had enough real world experience with it to know for sure.
Anybody else have one?I always have a fleece with me and wear the Out Dry as a wind/rain jacket unless I go with the Snugpack poncho and a Houdini Hybrid pertex wind jacket.Puffy down jacket always stays with the quilts.