PDA

View Full Version : gearskin plans

Forwards
01-13-2006, 16:37
I've been thiking about making a gearskin type pack for quite a while now, but I still need to clear up a few elements of my plan. First is where to attach the hip belt. I'm planning on making a simple hip belt from some left over blue ccf I have, but I can't figure out where on the pack to stick the thing- how much space would be logical to set aside for what would be the "bottom" part of the pack once its folded?

DebW
01-15-2006, 12:29
I think it makes most sense to assemble the basic pack (a fabric rectangle with straps at top and sides), load it with your stuff, and then hold it against your back to determine where your hipbelt and shoulder straps will go. Mine was a basic fabric rectangle of 24"x69" finished - add 2 inches in both dimension for 1/2 inch hems all around. The lowest side straps will also attach to the hip belt and the top straps will also attach to the shoulder strap load lifters, so place them with that in mind.

SteveK
01-17-2006, 14:55
Hi:

Following Deb's suggestion, I contacted Jon at Moonbow gear, and he quoted me a kit, cut to fit for $140. This cost would be $10 less if you don't want the mesh pocket (a great option). If you're interested, you might email him at

[email protected] ([email protected])

I bought a second-hand Gearskin (which I love !), and so have no need for the kit, but I think that this is a fair price when you consider all the stuff that goes into this pack, plus the custom fit !

Thanks,

Steve:sun