PDA

View Full Version : Help with clothing list

jgillam
10-19-2016, 10:40
So far I have purchased most everything I think that I will need for some longer backpacking trips. Now I am down to selecting a basic stock of three season clothing. Most of my hiking will be in the Midwest, building towards an AT thru-hike.

I've got the socks, underwear and base layers covered. I already recommendations for shorts and shirts. I will hit REI up for hiking pants since fit and comfort paramount and will figure out hat and gloves for cooler weather, while I am there.

I need help figuring out cool weather clothing and rain gear. I am considering ZPacks Challenger rain jacket and kilt for the rain but, am open to suggestions. I considered the poncho option but, don't think I'd be comfortable with it.

I have found some pretty good closeout prices on Patagonia Nano puff jackets but, am not sure if I need one or if I should look at a Rab Xenon as I've seen good recommendations on it as well.

Feel free to point out anything that I may have missed. This site has been more than helpful in this journey.

Thanks in advance, Jeremiah

gbolt
10-19-2016, 20:18
If you have base layer and shorts or pants... I would concentrate on Mid Layers. Long Sleeve Merino Wool Crew is really a great purchase if you can find it on sale. Ibex Indie Crew or Ice Breaker Oasis are the two I own. Wait and watched because starting price is $80 - $110 but never fear - wait and wishlist on Amazon so you can get them cheaper = Ibex was $74 and Icebreaker $39. FS Forum sometimes have them. One of them serve as my Long Sleeve Hiking Shirts.

Next is a Fleece type of pull-over. Many rave about the Pantagonia R1 Hoody... I ended up with a Pantagonia Cap 4 Pro Zip and have to watch sweating in it. Speaking of hoodie, I don't use one. I prefer starting in a Swift Cap, then Buff, Micro Hardware Beanie and then even a BlackRock Down Cap for really cold.

Finally, I love a Wind Shirt - Pantagonia Hoodini is the Gold Star but I have seldom found it for under $100. I ended up with a Columbia Windbreaker 6.35oz at $29. This is a peice of equiptment that I really didn't think I would use and now it is a regular go to layer when regulating core temperature in 30º - 60º weather. It is easy on and off, repels misting and light precipitation but great at maintaining core temp. The Z packs Challenger Rain jacket may do this same work but check weight. I consider this Windshirt my 1st lightweight exterior shell. I use a Marmot Pre Cip for a heavier thicker Shell layer when more warmth and Precip protection is needed. Usually when hiking in below 30º and more winter than your three season question. However, you did mention the Nano Puff. I myself have a Montbell UL Down Jacket.

Finally, embrace the challenge and fun of selecting gear that meets your personal style!

RockDoc
10-19-2016, 20:49
Here's another vote for the Montbell UL down sweater and merino wool (head to toe). I like Icebreaker. Also, a small umbrella will work in most cases for light rain and keep it from dripping all over you. Often we just use the brolly and don't even put on a rain jacket (very rarely rain pants). Better for ventilation while hiking.

Kc Fiedler
10-20-2016, 01:04
Can't go wrong with Mont Bell and Patagonia

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Drew33
10-20-2016, 01:31
So far I have purchased most everything I think that I will need for some longer backpacking trips. Now I am down to selecting a basic stock of three season clothing. Most of my hiking will be in the Midwest, building towards an AT thru-hike.

I've got the socks, underwear and base layers covered. I already recommendations for shorts and shirts. I will hit REI up for hiking pants since fit and comfort paramount and will figure out hat and gloves for cooler weather, while I am there.

I need help figuring out cool weather clothing and rain gear. I am considering ZPacks Challenger rain jacket and kilt for the rain but, am open to suggestions. I considered the poncho option but, don't think I'd be comfortable with it.

I have found some pretty good closeout prices on Patagonia Nano puff jackets but, am not sure if I need one or if I should look at a Rab Xenon as I've seen good recommendations on it as well.

Feel free to point out anything that I may have missed. This site has been more than helpful in this journey.

Thanks in advance, Jeremiah

DONT GET THE PATAGONIA PUFFY..atleast in my opinion..overpriced, and not as warm as the rab (i have a friend who owns the patagonia puffy and have compared them)..i own the rab xenon and i will be using it for my AT thru hike in March.. main reason, is it is synthetic vs down..and will still keep me warm when wet, and in my opinion is more durable than a down jacket..and it is very warm..i would go rab xenon all the way.

Another Kevin
10-20-2016, 19:46
Clothing is one place where dirtbagging it works remarkably well. You have your socks, undies and baselayer covered. Get a fleece sweater and warm-up pants from the discount store or thrift shop. Dri-Ducks work for rain gear - you actually don't hike in rain gear all that much because a lot of time you're so warm that it's better to just get your T-shirt and shorts wet. A lot of people hike in shorts (such as nylon running shorts, again from the cheap place) down to near-freezing. Otherwise, you said you're planning to get nylon hiking pants, and that's fine, too.

Add a balaclava or beanie/buff combination, glove liners and mitts, and a cheap puffy, and you're less than a pound heavier than the expensive gear, and good to go. If you're planning to go in conditions severe enough to need traction gear, you need a pair of gaiters, too. An orange vest and pack cover for hunting season.

Except for my nylon hiking pants, my gaiters, and my wool socks, I have very little clothing that's made specifically for hiking by the gear companies. Since everyone wears clothes, there's good cheap stuff out there. I actually now have some pricier stuff, but that's because I found it at deep discount and people had given me EMS or REI gift cards. Even at that, though, I went for Marmot rather than Western Mountaineering! Still, I do like having a wind shell with pit zips.

Your gear isn't what gets you down the trail.

jgillam
10-20-2016, 20:48
Thanks to all who have replied. I have been checking to see the replies and do greatly appreciate everything.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:26
Check out that new Patagonia precip jacket.