PDA

View Full Version : Great Smokies Water Availability

Berserker
10-19-2016, 11:53
Hopefully I'm not duplicating a thread already out there, but I wanted to see if anyone has current information on water availability in the Smokies. From a similar thread there is no water from Fontana to Derrick Knob, and I had plans/reservations to do this section in a few days. So I was wondering what the water looks like in that section and also through the rest of the Smokies as I can try and change my plans around if need be...cause I ain't humping a bunch of water up from Fontana, and I ain't in good enough shape right now to walk 22 miles in one day. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

slbirdnerd
10-19-2016, 12:54
I posted a detailed water report on here for Newfound Gap to Hot Springs a few days ago. You can also call the Backcountry Office for up to date info.

Berserker
10-19-2016, 13:58
You can also call the Backcountry Office for up to date info.
Thanks for this tip, I wasn't even thinking of it...duh. So I called and the guy I talked to confirmed that the water situation on the South side of Newfound Gap is apparently fairly dire. He mentioned the only sources being Eagle Creek and low flow at Derrick, Silers and Mt. Collins shelters. He called it a "once in 50 year" type scenario. So yeah, I may be hiking somewhere else instead.

Tundracamper
10-19-2016, 20:44
There is a front moving in from the west. Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. I wonder if that single rain event will make much difference. I suspect the ground will suck it up fairly quickly.

daddytwosticks
10-20-2016, 07:15
There is a front moving in from the west. Rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. I wonder if that single rain event will make much difference. I suspect the ground will suck it up fairly quickly.

They are forecasting just a few tenths of an inch here in WNC. Doubt it will have any impact on water sources along this section of the AT. :)