PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!! Ideas Needed

2009ThruHiker
01-13-2006, 16:56
I want to hike on a short vacation in the first week of May for 3 days, point to point. I need to drive to the location (funds) so it needs to be within a days driving distance to Virginia. I'm trying to avoid the AT since I will be thru hiking it in 2009. Also looking to relax in a nice hotel the last day of the hike. I anticipate the schedule to be arrive, park, get to trail head with a few hours of hiking to campsite. Hiking the next two nights, the following day hiking into a hotel. Trying to get back to my car is another concern.

So any suggestions with these points in mind would be appreciated.

Cheesewhiz
01-13-2006, 17:08
George washington national forest, which is west of Shanendoah but often overlooked is a gem of a place.

QHShowoman
01-13-2006, 17:50
Or you could hike a section of the Tuscarora Trail ... you can even pick it up in the GW national forest.

Peaks
01-13-2006, 18:49
Why not do a loop hike in Shenandoah National Park, using the AT as part of the loop. If looking for a nice place to stay, check out Skyland or Big Meadows in SNP.

Cheesewhiz
01-13-2006, 18:59
you could contact the PATC and stay at Corbin Cabin, this place is georgeous, 6 miles off skyline drive near Mile 39 down in the valley on the hughs river. There are some neat trails leading from the cabin and ALOT of history from the valley as well.

Seeker
01-14-2006, 13:47
I want to hike on a short vacation in the first week of May for 3 days, point to point. I need to drive to the location (funds) so it needs to be within a days driving distance to Virginia. I'm trying to avoid the AT since I will be thru hiking it in 2009. Also looking to relax in a nice hotel the last day of the hike. I anticipate the schedule to be arrive, park, get to trail head with a few hours of hiking to campsite. Hiking the next two nights, the following day hiking into a hotel. Trying to get back to my car is another concern.

So any suggestions with these points in mind would be appreciated.

don't know where you are in VA, but at most it will be about 8 hours to the Smokies. Drive into the park and do a loop. you'll have almost infinite possibilities for a 2-3 day trip. gatlinburg has some good hotels, and rides aren't hard to catch. i once did a 10 day trip using the newfound gap parking lot as a 'base'.... left a few days resupply of food in my car, walked a loop 3 days out and back, resupplied from my car, and then did another loop 2 days out and back. sort of a figure 8, with the AT in the center of it.