PDA

View Full Version : I Wish I Had Known That When I Started Backpacking

Kc Fiedler
10-20-2016, 06:15
Hey everyone! I hope you cash take some time to answer a question for me: If you could go back and tell yourself a few helpful hints, tips, or advice about backpacking on the dash you first started, what would they be?

I'm curious what you would consider the most important of most overlooked advice for new backpackers.

I'm asking because I'd like to potentially use some of your answers to compile into some content to help new hikers.

Please feel free to blow up this thread with gear advice, what to avoid, what to buy, mistakes to avoid. Whatever it is you feel are the most useful things for a beginner backpacker to know which might often go overlooked.

Hope everyone is doing great out there and congrats to all of the 2016 class (even those who may not have made it as far as they'd hoped).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kc Fiedler
10-20-2016, 06:17
Can take* day you* or most*

Sorry about the initial spelling issues. Typing on a phone.

Engine
10-20-2016, 06:44
I wish I had known I didn't need to be a mobile emergency and comfort preparedness station. I carried so much stuff which never saw daylight until I unpacked back at the house...What you need to carry and what most new backpackers think they need are often miles apart.

swjohnsey
10-20-2016, 06:44
Lighter is better.

Cheyou
10-20-2016, 07:02
Most internet advice is worth what you paid for it . Including mine

thom

ChuckT
10-20-2016, 07:04
Take wisdom. Ultra lite, hard to come by, worth more than gold.
Practical advice? Take less (of everything) and go further each day).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
10-20-2016, 07:39
I learned that 10 miles over 4 days with a 50 lb pack was a bad idea for a first backpacking trip.

I do short trips with a lot of new backpackers, and I agree that the #1 issue is just bringing too much crap. People can manage to pack 10 lbs of just clothes! And the temptation to bring a week's worth of food for 3 days is common.

If you're doing a hike that isn't that cold, you don't need to spend that much on gear. You just need to get appropriate gear and not bring useless crap. So, I guess a general tip would just be to have someone review your gear or test your stuff out on an easy/short hike

Hikingjim
10-20-2016, 07:39
I meant 100 miles over 4 days as the first backpacking trip (although I got a shuttle for 10 miles on a road section...!)

perrymk
10-20-2016, 07:46
If one is not in the habit of walking at least a couple of miles per day one is unlikely to be physically fit enough to enjoy walking 10+ miles per day.

Don H
10-20-2016, 07:52
Start off doing low milage and slowly build up.

Hike your own speed, don't try to keep up with others.

Take more pictures.

Kc Fiedler
10-20-2016, 07:53
I learned that 10 miles over 4 days with a 50 lb pack was a bad idea for a first backpacking trip.

I do short trips with a lot of new backpackers, and I agree that the #1 issue is just bringing too much crap. People can manage to pack 10 lbs of just clothes! And the temptation to bring a week's worth of food for 3 days is common.

If you're doing a hike that isn't that cold, you don't need to spend that much on gear. You just need to get appropriate gear and not bring useless crap. So, I guess a general tip would just be to have someone review your gear or test your stuff out on an easy/short hike
Do you think setting too lofty of distance goals is a common issue as well? I see you mentioned 100 miles over four days. Do you think backpackers just getting started get sucked in to setting overly ambitious mileage goals?

garlic08
10-20-2016, 07:53
1) The things people ask and fret about the most are not even actually needed--knives, water filters, and stoves. I often hike with none of those. (See my signature line.)

2) Take less of nearly everything than you think you need (ditto #7 above). Arrive at your resupply or trail's end with no food left. Lighten your heavy load, and free your mind.

3) Your skin is your largest organ. Take good care of it.

4) "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

GoldenBear
10-20-2016, 08:16
A little introduction, if I may.

I tried using two hiking poles, but found that I need one arm completely free to swat away insects. So now I hike with one pole. I allows me to keep my balance, putting a lot less strain on my legs.

For a year or so, I also used the pole to push myself along, as I did my typical series of week-long section hikes.
Eventually, my right shoulder developed chronic pain, that no amount of rest or rubbing could help. It hurt just to grab a tree for balance.
On the advice of an orthopedic M.D., I tried a month of physical therapy -- no help.
However, one shot of cortisone -- his initial suggestion, which I resisted (he said "cortisone" and my mind heard "steroids") -- took care of the problem.
But, at the time, I still wondered how I developed the damage.
On a later hike, I noticed the strain in my shoulder every time I pushed off with my pole, trying to move faster. Ever since I gave up using the pole in that manner, I've had no shoulder pain.

SOOOOOO, whenever I catch myself using the pole to push myself, in order to increase my speed, I repeat to myself, "Balance, not propulsion."

colorado_rob
10-20-2016, 08:18
Not being used to long distance hiking in the moist east, my biggest mistake on the AT was foot neglect. It is important to bathe and dry your feet regularly, daily if possible. I probably developed trench foot.

I was also a big sissy when it came to hitch hiking... it really is easy along most of the trail. Don't be afraid to hitch, it works well.

rafe
10-20-2016, 08:25

Take more pictures.

This. . . . .

John B
10-20-2016, 08:28
Before I started, I wish that I had taken the time to learn much more about the flora/fauna/geology. I think that I would have appreciated things much more from the beginning than what I did. It would have been nice to know that, say, that's a chinquapin oak rather than that's another undifferentiated tree.

DuneElliot
10-20-2016, 08:43
I took a lot of advice to heart from many internet articles, forums etc so didn't really feel I missed out on anything pertinent at the time.

One thing I found though, on my first couple of trips, was that testing my gear on overnights was completely worth it before I hit a week-long trip with no chance of changing stuff out (also internet recommended). My week-long trip had things dialed in really well, including my food, and I didn't over-carry too many edibles (I had a little extra). Since I started out solo, and have only ever gone solo, I haven't had someone around to help me and did a LOT of research and reading.

I also think that for those new to the hobby, stretching muscles in the morning and evening is vital. One of my first trips was cut short because I over-did it and I hadn't stretched the needed muscles before-hand. I also constantly stretch throughout the day if I feel things tightening up.

Hikingjim
10-20-2016, 09:40
Do you think setting too lofty of distance goals is a common issue as well? I see you mentioned 100 miles over four days. Do you think backpackers just getting started get sucked in to setting overly ambitious mileage goals?

Yes, because you don't have a frame of reference. This happens all the time when you go to different terrain, even with people who have done "a few hikes"
Many people's mileage targets don't properly factor in the affect of the pack (especially an overly heavy pack), fatigue from multiple days, and the absolute crawl you may hike at if it's very difficult terrain

Some of the initial hikes with my girlfriend were a nightmare on harder terrain. she would go like .7 mph and we would take 10 hours to go 7 miles, and it was a damn good thing we planned short days. We quickly realized steep rocks and/or bushwhacking are best left for solo hikes!

Lyle
10-20-2016, 09:50
Be flexible.
Gear virtually NEVER makes or breaks a hike.
Never decide to quit on a bad day.

rocketsocks
10-20-2016, 10:54
Stay away from on-line hiking forums
Gather whatever gear you can muster...and go hike, if that means a "hello kitty tent" from Wally World, so be it!

Diamondlil
10-20-2016, 12:16

Take more pictures.

Yes, yes and yes! Don't beat yourself up for not making the miles you planned on your first or second day out. Even your first or second week. Just enjoy that you are away from the noise, listen to the quiet. And when you realize you've packed that kitchen sink you will never use, send it home.[emoji6]

[emoji851]

Seatbelt
10-20-2016, 12:49
I wish I had know about Injinji socks and Body Glide.

Cimilu
10-20-2016, 12:51
Don't let a bad day on the trail end your hike.

Cheyou
10-20-2016, 13:09
Your pack should never b heavier then Tipi Walters

thom

Cheyou
10-20-2016, 13:12
In bear country always hike with a person you can out run.

Thom

turtle fast
10-21-2016, 11:29
If your NOBO, stop at Mountain Crossings and do a pack shakedown with them. You'd be surprised at what they see versus what you do and can lighten the load only a week into the hike.

ADVStrom14
10-21-2016, 12:05
In bear country always hike with a person you can out run.

Thom
Lol!!!!!

Jes

Dogwood
10-21-2016, 12:25
I wish I had known that I didn't need to know what everyone told me I needed to know.

QHShowoman
10-21-2016, 12:42
-That it's actually a lot of hard work. I think those who have never backpacked underestimate what hiking for many miles a day with 25+ lbs on their back feels like. It's a lot of work. You get sweaty and dirty and tired. And you may not sleep well your first couple of nights on the trail. You may have more miserable times than good times on the trail, the first time you go out. It boggles my mind that so many folks set foot out of Springer each spring who have never backpacked a day in their life ... or never even camped or hike. Sure, some of those folks will persevere. But most won't.

-That you will have a "comfort zone" of how many miles you can do in a day and it's okay if it's only 5 miles. Or 8 miles. Don't feel pressured into keeping up with folks doing double-digits right out of the gate. The stronger you get, the more miles you'll be able to do. Or maybe you won't and that's okay, too. And you might be better suited to shorter trips than longer ones, and that's okay.

-Choose your route wisely and learn how to read topo maps. My first backpacking trip was a 3-day slog with a lot of uphill. Had we reversed the route, it would've been all downhill except for a final climb back to the parking lot and we probably would've enjoyed it a lot more.

-If you're out for the first time, and backpacking with a partner that you've never hiked with before, don't split up your gear. Each of you should carry everything you need and that way, if one of you needs to walk faster or slower or bail partway through, the other can still go on.

-Do a shakedown car camping trip or two to get used to your gear. Learn how to use it and sort out what you absolutely need vs. what you don't.

Leo L.
10-21-2016, 12:45
If during my first few Middle East desert hikes I only had known what great people the local Bedouins are. I would have stopped for a tea and made friends more often.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2016, 12:57
For new hikers?

Advice: Only you can tell what works for you when hiking, and the only way you can tell is through experience.

Don't buy too much new gear. Don't spend much money, don't worry about weight or distance. Just beg, borrow or rent some essentials, get out for a weekend or a week, see if you enjoy it, and learn what works and what doesn't.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:19
Definitely worth practicing on shorts trips to prepare for the long ones.

Another Kevin
10-21-2016, 16:31
For new hikers?

Advice: Only you can tell what works for you when hiking, and the only way you can tell is through experience.

Don't buy too much new gear. Don't spend much money, don't worry about weight or distance. Just beg, borrow or rent some essentials, get out for a weekend or a week, see if you enjoy it, and learn what works and what doesn't.

This.

On the 'don't spend too much money' front, read PMags's gear guide (http://www.pmags.com/300-gear-challenge). I started with a lot of items from that list. I still use some of them. Other stuff I've upgraded, but seriously, that list is good enough to get out for a few nights and figure out whether or not you like it, and start learning what your personal style is. You can even go on using a lot of it. What he describes for cooking is still pretty much my setup,

Paul's list will give you about a 14-15 pound base weight, which is bearable. You don't want to try to go UL until you have the skills to support it, anyway.

Don't spend big bucks on a pack until you have the rest of your gear dialed in.

Kc Fiedler
10-21-2016, 16:55
I wish I had known I didn't need to be a mobile emergency and comfort preparedness station. I carried so much stuff which never saw daylight until I unpacked back at the house...What you need to carry and what most new backpackers think they need are often miles apart.

What were some of those emergency items you thought you needed but never did? What does your emergency kit look like now? If you would be so kind to take the time to answer... Much appreciated! If you had to guess, what would you say are the three most often-ditched items hikers start out with and don't need?

Most internet advice is worth what you paid for it . Including mine

thom

Is there a person, books, source, website, video series, etc. which you do trust for advice? Any reputable backpackers writing or making videos that you would recommend. Thanks!

Take wisdom. Ultra lite, hard to come by, worth more than gold.
Practical advice? Take less (of everything) and go further each day).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

In your experience or opinion, how would you recommend a new hiker get started cutting weight? What resources, books, or websites are worth listening to when learning to go UL?

1) The things people ask and fret about the most are not even actually needed--knives, water filters, and stoves. I often hike with none of those. (See my signature line.)

2) Take less of nearly everything than you think you need (ditto #7 above). Arrive at your resupply or trail's end with no food left. Lighten your heavy load, and free your mind.

3) Your skin is your largest organ. Take good care of it.

4) "Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Which items, if you had to guess, would you say are the most commonly carried and ditched (same question as Engine [everyone else feel free to chime in on this])?

In what ways do new hikers neglect to take care of their skin? Is there a routine a new hiker might use to help with skin care?

A little introduction, if I may.

I tried using two hiking poles, but found that I need one arm completely free to swat away insects. So now I hike with one pole. I allows me to keep my balance, putting a lot less strain on my legs.

For a year or so, I also used the pole to push myself along, as I did my typical series of week-long section hikes.
Eventually, my right shoulder developed chronic pain, that no amount of rest or rubbing could help. It hurt just to grab a tree for balance.
On the advice of an orthopedic M.D., I tried a month of physical therapy -- no help.
Only a shot of cortisone -- his initial suggestion, which I resisted (he said "cortisone" and my mind heard "steroids") -- took care of the problem.
But, at the time, I still wondered how I developed the damage.
On a later hike, I noticed the strain in my shoulder every time I pushed off with my pole, trying to move faster. Ever since I gave up using the pole in that manner, I've had no shoulder pain.

SOOOOOO, whenever I catch myself using the pole to push myself, in order to increase my speed, I repeat to myself, "Balance, not propulsion."

Do you think this is a personal injury development or are you aware of other hikers who have been injured using poles for propulsion. I use my poles this way and know many hikers do... just curious if you are aware of it becoming a growing problem. Thanks!

Not being used to long distance hiking in the moist east, my biggest mistake on the AT was foot neglect. It is important to bathe and dry your feet regularly, daily if possible. I probably developed trench foot.

I was also a big sissy when it came to hitch hiking... it really is easy along most of the trail. Don't be afraid to hitch, it works well.

Would you be willing to share your foot care routine or any general advice you may have on preventing foot rot? Thanks!

I took a lot of advice to heart from many internet articles, forums etc so didn't really feel I missed out on anything pertinent at the time.

One thing I found though, on my first couple of trips, was that testing my gear on overnights was completely worth it before I hit a week-long trip with no chance of changing stuff out (also internet recommended). My week-long trip had things dialed in really well, including my food, and I didn't over-carry too many edibles (I had a little extra). Since I started out solo, and have only ever gone solo, I haven't had someone around to help me and did a LOT of research and reading.

I also think that for those new to the hobby, stretching muscles in the morning and evening is vital. One of my first trips was cut short because I over-did it and I hadn't stretched the needed muscles before-hand. I also constantly stretch throughout the day if I feel things tightening up.

What websites, YouTube Channels, authors, or bloggers are out there right now you would trust for great information? How can new hikers find all that great information you found in order to get started right? Is there an educational site or resource you would recommend to learn backpacking skills? Thanks so much!

If your NOBO, stop at Mountain Crossings and do a pack shakedown with them. You'd be surprised at what they see versus what you do and can lighten the load only a week into the hike.

In your experience what items did you carry at the beginning which you've now learned are not needed? What are some items you've noticed other hikers carry but not need? If you had to guess the number one most-ditched item on the trail, what would it be?

I wish I had known that I didn't need to know what everyone told me I needed to know.

How can new hikers learn to hike from reputable resources without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of opinions and advice? Is there someone or some resource that's really teaching it right?

For new hikers?

Where can a new hiker start to get advice on what to carry before beginning to develop their own system? Is there a resource, gear list, or blogger out there teaching it right so that new hikers can learn to carry and adapt their own system without spending unreasonable amounts? How does a new hiker learn the basics in order to get started without getting flooded with information and advice?

Thanks to all the responses! I have put individual follow up questions in this post and I really appreciate all the feedback and time you've taken to talk through this with me. For anyone reading this, please feel free to answer the following questions as I continue to refine what I'm looking for "answer-wise". Much love.

Follow-Up Questions:

Based on what I've heard and what I'm learning here are a few follow-up questions for anyone willing to take the time to help me out. Anyone reading this thread is more than welcome to answer these, including new and beginner backpackers! Thanks a ton.

1. What gear did you bring on your first hike(s) and never end up using?
2. If you had to guess the single most-often ditched piece of gear carried by new hikers, what would it be?
3. For those who have felt unprepared: How do you wish you would have physically prepared for the trail? How would you prepare if (when) you do it again?
4. When you first began backpacking what resources (websites, books, YouTubers, etc.) did you use to get started? Are there any great resources, speakers, bloggers, or educational sites out there today that are teaching new backpackers how to get started?
5. What information do you wish had been available to you before you started hiking and backpacking?
6. What sub-genres of backpacking do you feel are misunderstood or inaccurately explained on the internet right now?

JessNicole3608
10-21-2016, 17:12
Haha I was like wow! 10 miles in 4 days... finally someone slower than me!

JessNicole3608
10-21-2016, 17:28
- If you buy new, go to REI or somewhere with a similar return policy.
- It doesn't even matter if it rains, you're rather soaked in sweat or with rain. I took a heavy raincoat the first trip (rained for 5 days) and used it for maybe 10 minutes then carried it the rest of the time. If you must... just use a cheap poncho. Just keep your pack and feet dry, and change when you make camp (you'll get cold once you stop moving).
- You're gonna smell awful and probably get used to it... don't stand too close to people in town until you find a shower haha
- Compact multi-use items (I only carry this mug looking thing with a lid that comes with an insulator/tiny pot holder/collapsible spork and you can hold a small stove and fuel can inside for space). LOVE this! Also, the little $10 stove I found on Amazon has a self igniter button so no wet matches!
- Learn how to distribute weight in your pack (and adjust it correctly) before you get out there.
- I STILL always bring too much dang food.
- You drink way more water than you think you will!! (I've found that I hate the Camelback taste, but love the bite valve much better than Platypus so I frankenstein'd them together)
- Consider trail runners. I went through 3 pairs of hiking shoes before finding these work best for me. Waterproof doesn't breath. They're light and so comfy. Consider sizes a 1/2 size up to allow for swelling.
- One thing I did not expect... the knee pain on descents!!! Use trekking poles and knee straps. ESPECIALLY if you have knee issues. Bring Motrin.

scrabbler
10-21-2016, 17:48
Your feet are what get you from A to B. Dont abuse them, and learn how to deal with them.

Another Kevin
10-21-2016, 18:20
So many questions - but I can try a few of them.

1-2. Things that novices bring too much of:

(A) First aid kit - This is very personal, but most packaged ones aren't what you wind up using. A few gauze pads, a few Band-Aids, some antibiotic ointment and some ibuprofen in a Ziploc seem to be what most hikers eventually settle on. You can use duct tape as bandage tape. (I have some known issues, so I bring a few other drugs (I have a couple of things I take regularly, and in addition, I bring four bismuth subsalicylate tablets, four 2 mg loperamide tablets, 6-8 25 mg diphenhydramine tablets, total is less than an ounce.) and an Ace wrap. I wind up putting the Ace wrap on a knee about one trip in four.

(B) Tools. I bring a Leatherman Squirt. No big knife - all that I generally cut on a trail is the cheese. (And maybe the sausage.) No axe. I bring a folding hand saw on day trips because I do a fair amount of ad hoc trail maintenance, but it's excess weight on backpacks. (I don't discuss the choice of bringing a sidearm - I'd be a fool to tell you if I'm carrying and a bigger fool to tell you that I'm not.)

(C) Pump filter that's the size of a beverage can and weighs nearly a pound. Most hikers switch to a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini, or to chemical treatment exclusively.

(D) Too much food and water - but you have to learn through experience how much you need. MRE's, in particular, are heavy, expensive and make a lot of trash.

(E) Too much clothing. Undies, baselayer, shorts, long pants (or combination pants), fleeces, socks and boots, rainsuit, tuque, and in cold weather a puffy, gloves with liners, a balaclava or buff. In cold weather or in a wet area, add a dry baselayer for sleeping and extra socks. Extra clothes "to change into" are excess weight.

(F) Luxury goods. Everyone can bring what they're willing to carry, but few of us are willing to carry camp chairs, heavy skillets, 800-page novels, etc. more than once.

3. Get out and hike. Do day trips. Do overnighters. Walk around town as much as possible with a weighted day pack (It will raise no eyebrows if you carry a computer, a few books and a couple of water bottles, and that's about the same weight as my pack for a long weekend.) The best preparation for walking with a pack is ... walking with a pack. I do a couple or three miles of roadwalk with a pack every day, rain or shine, summer or winter.

4. I've been hiking since before the Web was a gleam in Tim Berners-Lee's eye. I got started with Colin Fletcher's 'Compleat Walker' and stuff of similar vintage. As I mentioned in an earlier post, PMags has a lot of very sound beginners' material (http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer).

5. That's a tough one, since I learnt as a little kid tagging behind my uncle. I don't have a really good answer for it.

6. There's way too much emphasis, I think, on the Big Hike, which leads to hiker bubbles, high dropout rates, and a class system. Some of us are weekenders, peak-baggers, trail maintainers, bushwhackos, section-hikers, fishermen, hunters, or just like to get out and bum around in the woods. All of those classes use the major trails - often just as access routes and jumping-off points for other destinations. And those classes outnumber the Big Hikers by a considerable margin.

Earlier you ask:

Would you be willing to share your foot care routine or any general advice you may have on preventing foot rot? Thanks!

As someone who hikes a lot in beaver country:

On wet trails, your feet are going to get wet, and you're not going to be able to get them dry. Waterproof boots will either get wet through the big holes in them (you know, the holes that your ankles go through), or from the inside when you sweat out your socks. What I've found works for me in those conditions is:

Wash feet and socks frequently - in really muddy areas, I'll likely wash them at lunchtime as well as when I stop for the night. They're going to be wet anyway, but grit in the socks is death to feet. In these conditions, I might even bring a third pair of socks, so that I have one to hike in, one in the laundry so to speak, and one for sleeping.
Use a waterproofing compound on your feet, starting the day before your trip. Andrew Skurka sells something for this. (Bonnie's Climbing Salve? Something like that...) I use Gurney Goo, and find it works better than Body Glide (on *my* feet, at least). Even Vaseline will do in a pinch. Have just enough on that water will bead up.
If you can stand it, wear lightweight trail runners - find a brand that fits you. All trail runners have worthless insoles, so throw them away and put in decent ones. (For me, that's green Superfeet - but they come in a lot of varieties for a reason. A competent fitter can advise you.) Don't believe what you hear about needing a high boot for ankle support. That was true in the bad old days of 50-70 pound packs. Most of your support comes from the heel cup, not the ankle, and keeping your ankle from rolling is hell on your knees.
Deal with hot spots immediately. If you feel something rubbing or getting irritated, that will be a blister later on, 100% guaranteed. Cover it. If nothing else, slap some duct tape on it. Duct tape is a great blister preventative - it's slippery, so it stops rubbing quite effectively.
Keep your toenails short.
Make sure your shoes have a big enough toe box.
Carry a paper clip in your first aid kit so you can unbend it, heat the end red-hot, and burn a hole in a black toenail if you have to. It relieves the pain immediately.
Never hike in your sleeping socks. At least get your feet dry overnight..
In winter, the techniques shift completely, but let's get you comfortable in good weather first.

dcdennis
10-21-2016, 18:24
That big ass Rambo knife that you love and looks cool and makes you feel safe will never come out of your pack.

AfterParty
10-21-2016, 19:06
I would suggest sleeping on your mat in the house a few times or in the backyard. Get comfortable with it and you will sleep much better that first night IMO. Or your hammock same applies. Figure out your loadout and get firmiliar with it if taking things out you think you could use was it a pita to get out maybe repacking to make certain things more readily available. Like a camera does no good in the bottom of your pack. Until you are comfortable with hiking try not completely run out of water. Hygiene is important keeps you healthy. Hyoh

dudeijuststarted
10-21-2016, 20:14
I wish I knew that cotton underwear would cause brutal chafing.
I wish I knew that boots weren't necessary if I kept my pack weight low.
I wish I knew that nutrition mattered.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2016, 20:18
That big ass Rambo knife that you love and looks cool and makes you feel safe will never come out of your pack.

Rambo knife? The kids these days tell me it's a Bear Grylls knife! :banana

Dogwood
10-21-2016, 21:23
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/miscgreen/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Dogwood http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttonsgreen/viewpost-right.png (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/121399-I-Wish-I-Had-Known-That-When-I-Started-Backpacking/showthread.php?p=2099488#post2099488)

"How can new hikers learn to hike from reputable resources without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of opinions and advice? Is there someone or some resource that's really teaching it right?"

You're proving my first post. How can a beginner deem resources reputable or applicable in the first place? How do beginners get to the place to know when enough opinions and advice is sufficient to eventually just go backpacking?

Some resources, probably most, aren't reputable or individually applicable. I wasn't able to rightly distinguish which resources were reputable or not, generally applicable or not, until I gained my own on trail experiences sense of trail self. Pre first really long hike, I initially spent too much time, often stressed out, concerning myself with what everyone thought or offered as information. Much of it wasn't immediately applicable once the boots were on the ground, and even now only some of it, less than 5o % is, which was only determined after I got to I KNOW MYSELF, WHAT I WAS ABOUT, and WHAT I WANTED FROM ON TRAIL BACKPACKING EXPERIENCES.

Also, some resources communicate from an over inflated sense of being an authority, which Newbies can have a hard time detecting, offering oodles of rigid 'this is how it's done' opinions. In actuality they are communicating how they or their cadre approach backpacking or how backpacking is generally traditionally currently conducted in specific situations like on specific trails, in specific seasons, employing specific gear, specific sheltering choices, employing UL/conventional/fast and light/get er dun/etc approaches. Sometimes these opinions/approaches are tacitly disseminated as "the rule" particularly among the cyber hiking community and within cyber space and are easily leeched onto by Newbies. I would say the majority of resources are well intentioned but misguided who want to help Newbies but can commonly leave little room for the beginning hiker's evolution to find out what works best individually which is one of the most appealing aspects for many that backpack.

There's lots of room for different opinions and approaches to backpacking. There is rarely a one right way or one wrong way for all people all the time within this activity. Backpacking isn't a game with definitive rules like baseball or football. The gate to backpacking is wide with room for many. Backpacking is not best experienced from reading about it, seeing pictures of someone else doing it, or talking about it. At some point you just have to go and find the way that works best for yourself while being observant, open to new ideas/approaches/learning, considering, and then assimilating or walking away from information. This, IMHO, again is one of the most appealing aspects of non organized non group backpacking. You have to make personal decisions about it, have personal responsibility, and think about how you're going to be yourself.

So, who are the reputable resources you might ask? I can tell you that if you're humbly open willing to learn it can hit you surprisingly from some unexpected sources. Generally though, IMO these are the ones who have been there done it and yet have the ability to succinctly provide info and options without being overly rigid leaving aspiring backpackers/hikers/walkers the space to individually evolve to Hike Their Own hike. They are the people who lead me to the Kool Aid by way of a few bread crumbs but don't force me to drink it all and haven't spiked it too ridgidly with their brand of backpacking. Who can ultimately be the best determiner of what is best for the individual hiker?... the individual hiker.

Redbud
10-21-2016, 21:23
I wish I knew before I laid out big bucks for a pair of handmade Limmer boots that all the grief I had had with other boots and shoes could have been avoided by wearing Chacos. Of course, I think that was a year before the founding of Chaco. But once I learned that you can even carry big packs up steep mountains wearing sandals, my life changed forever.

saltysack
10-21-2016, 22:05
Take not what you want but only what you need....less is better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
10-21-2016, 22:08
There are so many good books and resources nowadays to get started.

But the best way to learn is by doing. Do a simple overnight, close to home, in fair weather. Take notes of what works and what doesn't. Build on your successes, learn from your mistakes. Simple common sense goes a long way.

Dogwood
10-21-2016, 22:19
BTW, KC Fiedler welcome back. Haven't seen you posting in awhile. I enjoyed some back and forth on other threads with you offering insight and depth of content.

From what I recall on other threads you started or had made comments you seemed to have yourself pretty well put together already even reminding me or straightening out some things I had muddled. You sounded like one who already had much of the things stated here some-what dialed in for yourself.

Dogwood
10-21-2016, 22:21
I assume your thread here is about gleaning evolving more.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2016, 22:47
I encountered a person on their 2nd day of first time ever trip recently. Had this discussion with them for a while.

They were surprised how much everything cost. And were already thinking all their gear was too heavy. When the guy at rei told them they could save 1 lb on a tent for another $100, they said no way, but we're already wishing they had spent more money on lighter gear. No one told them how hard it would be (3 miles first day) how that clothing doesn't dry overnight in Appalachians (washed clothing and it stayed wet), or that they didn't need backup everything, including clothing

Bianchi Veloce
10-22-2016, 03:57
Slow down on your pace. Take a few deep breathes. Enjoy the silence that surrounds you. See the beauty of a shower of leaves as they fall and rest on the Earth.

Kc Fiedler
10-22-2016, 09:48
BTW, KC Fiedler welcome back. Haven't seen you posting in awhile. I enjoyed some back and forth on other threads with you offering insight and depth of content.

From what I recall on other threads you started or had made comments you seemed to have yourself pretty well put together already even reminding me or straightening out some things I had muddled. You sounded like one who already had much of the things stated here some-what dialed in for yourself.
I have been keeping an eye on the forum but haven't been posting in a while. It's always fun to get involved again.

As you may know, I'm an outdoor educator by trade (backpacking trip leader and full time ski instructor) and I'm thinking more and more about how I can better help serve educating those new to backpacking. Trying to get as much feedback and insight as I can from the community with the hopes of being able to improve my own educational skills.

q-tip
10-22-2016, 10:05
1) weigh everything

2) buy the best you can afford

3) priorities: safe, dry, warm

4) train, train, train

5) lose a much weight as practical before starting

6) test everything on overnight hikes

7) accept everybody suffers.....

rafe
10-22-2016, 11:07
"How can new hikers learn to hike from reputable resources without being overwhelmed by the sheer amount of opinions and advice? Is there someone or some resource that's really teaching it right?"

Just like you'd consider, weigh, test, challenge, and reconsider pretty much anything else you read on the Internet.

Books are good, too. I give them more credence than web sites. The best test is personal experience. Read up, decide what you think is best. Go out and test it. More than once, preferably, unless it's a dismal failure. Keep a journal of what works and what doesn't.

Trail journals are another good source of info.

Forums are good for personal stories, gauging opinions, getting a feel for what's popular. "Fact" is often subjective, particularly with regard to hiking, walking, trekking etc. It really comes down to, whatever works for you.

Buy good gear but no need to go crazy at first. It's not the gear, it's the skills and attitude that matter most.

DuneElliot
10-22-2016, 11:56
IMO one of the best resources online is Andrew Skurka. The guy knows long and short-distance backpacking intimately and his website is pretty comprehensive:

http://andrewskurka.com/

Erik the Black http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/ is also a good place to start, and Philip over at http://sectionhiker.com/ has some great recommendations and advice.

RockDoc
10-22-2016, 12:19
I wish I had known that you don't have to eat carbage like top ramen noodles and pop tarts. Being just sugar and no nutrition, hey just make you sick and ravenous. There are better, more ancestral options.

tflaris
10-22-2016, 12:22
The romanticism of a hike may not be equivalent to the daily rigors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 17:22
I've been watching this thread and struggling to figure out if there is anything I wish I had known when I started.
1) I don't remember when I started because I was too young.
2) I've learned things and continue to learn things along the way that allow me to do more things better and more enjoyably.

But, I can't think of ANYTHING that I wished I had known when I started. The journey has been and continues to be inspiring and rewarding. I can't think of any bad experiences or false expectations that I would like to have been able to change with more/earlier knowledge. Acquiring the knowledge has been central to my joy along the way.

Nope, I thought of something. I wish I had realized earlier in my life how important it is to get out and follow your passion, even if it is not a passion shared in the same way by others that are close and dear to you. Sometimes, more often than may be comfortable, you just gotta go do it.

Cheyou
10-22-2016, 18:30
Never wet your sleeping system . Sorry never get it wet

thom

TJ aka Teej
10-22-2016, 18:46
2. If you had to guess the single most-often ditched piece of gear carried by new hikers, what would it be?

Bibles, guns, and those huge fixed 'survival' knives, get sent home from Neel Gap and Monson. The hiker box at Shaws in June is a treasure chest.

Old Hiker
10-23-2016, 21:32
A thru hike turns in hard, hard work. Day after day after day of hard work with an occasional day off. Yes, it can be fun. It can be interesting. It helps you meet people (briefly) who can inspire you to keep going. But in the long run, it is hard work.

Less weight.

Getting into towns that are off-trail isn't really that hard.

JLorenzo77
10-24-2016, 14:53
1) Swamp Ass is real and can occur in any season.
2) See #1.

Cheyou
10-24-2016, 14:59
1) Swamp Ass is real and can occur in any season.
2) See #1.
Is that the same as monkey butt . ;0)

JLorenzo77
10-24-2016, 15:01
Is that the same as monkey butt . ;0)

Indeed it is!

evyck da fleet
10-24-2016, 21:38
I'm not sure there is anything I wish I'd have known. Everything I know I had to learn myself by doing it. All the advice I've gotten is what works for them or what they think works for me but it's up to me to put it to the test and find out what is best for me. I'm sure my gear list is similar to a lot of other hikers but I doubt I'll ever find someone with the same exact setup as me.

pickNgrin
10-25-2016, 09:17
When I started backpacking in the 70s, you wouldn't be caught dead doing it with a "hobo stove", tennis shoes, and a rucksack. You had to have the right equipment.

Today, all of the "right equipment" from back then is wrong. Now you have to trade your Svea123 for an alcohol (aka hobo) stove, your boots for trail runners (aka tennis shoes), and your external frame pack for a high dollar rucksack.

Lesson: don't worry too much about equipment. Go with what you've got.

freys
10-25-2016, 09:52
When I started backpacking in the 70s, you wouldn't be caught dead doing it with a "hobo stove", tennis shoes, and a rucksack. You had to have the right equipment.

Today, all of the "right equipment" from back then is wrong. Now you have to trade your Svea123 for an alcohol (aka hobo) stove, your boots for trail runners (aka tennis shoes), and your external frame pack for a high dollar rucksack.

Lesson: don't worry too much about equipment. Go with what you've got.

The one thing that did get bigger is the hip belt. I remember my first trip in the early 80's with a real hip belt. Changed everything.

allmebloominlife
10-25-2016, 10:58
Don't forget the Motrin/Aleve and whiskey.

allmebloominlife
10-25-2016, 11:00
Don't forget the Motrin/Aleve and whiskey.

Busted my toenail on a trip this weekend. Twice!! Needed the Motrin to relieve the pain and whiskey to forget it. lol

Another Kevin
10-25-2016, 11:03
The one thing that did get bigger is the hip belt. I remember my first trip in the early 80's with a real hip belt. Changed everything.

My hip belt got bigger over the years, too. ;)

ShaneP
10-25-2016, 15:35
If you are taking it "just in case" don't take it

Rmcpeak
10-25-2016, 17:27
Go up hills very slowly. 10 miles is not far. There's water everywhere, so don't carry more than a liter or two.

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2016, 17:51
I wish I had known that most chafing could have been prevented with regular use of a $0.75 dish sponge and some clean water.

Sarcasm the elf
10-25-2016, 17:52
There's water everywhere, so don't carry more than a liter or two.*

*Not applicable to 2016

Fixed that for you! :D

shelb
10-25-2016, 23:07
For me? I wish I had known....

~ That walking a ****-ton on flat-land did not equate to climbing mountains! (I now know that I need to do stairs to build the muscles to climb mountains in the months before my sectional hike)
~ How much my obesity would hinder my hike. Dropping 40 pounds one year made a huge difference. HOWEVER, dropping the next 30 (70 total now), made me feel like a gazelle!

fastfoxengineering
10-26-2016, 05:07
People say you don't need the "best" gear. Which is true, however...

I wish I knew what I needed for me to be happy and comfortable so I couldve started backpacking with the right gear for me. Honestly, when I first started hiking I had the mindset like "this is suppose to suck, but that's why it's fun" mentality. Once I got my head dialed in I was much, much happier.

I wish I knew what it meant to be actually cold so I couldve prepared better.

I wish I knew how much real food matters when your down. Food to some is just fuel. For most, it can turn your day around.

My favorite, I wish I knew that on a long hike, all that planning and stress goes right out the window after that first step. Go with the flow. It's liberating