PDA

View Full Version : Are Bugs a Problem With a Tarp Tent?

Lear
10-20-2016, 12:32
I used a tarp tent without any problem about two weeks in May in the south. I am planning to hike May-July in the northerly half next year. I am a bit concerned that mosquitoes in MASS and black flies could be a problem if I use a tarp tent. Any suggestions?

Lnj
10-20-2016, 12:40
Do you mean a "Tarptent" BRAND of tent or just using a tarp AS a tent? I have a TT Double Moment and I have hike din some seriously buggy areas and I can tell you that not one little thing has ever gotten inside with me... thus far. However, as a disclaimer, I will say that I have soaked the outside of my rain fly and bathtub floor with permithrin and I am hyper vigilant about keeping the zipper closed all the time and tight, as I have an issue with sleeping with bugs.

BobW
10-20-2016, 14:07
Same question as above regarding kind of "tarptent" I use an older floor-less pyramid tent during buggy New England Summers without problem but with a pyramid I can use only one trekking pole vs 2 and lower the middle to make sure the bottom of the tent is on the ground. I have not found a need to treat the fabric with repellent, but I too open the door as little as possible. Good luck!

LuckyMan
10-20-2016, 16:03
I've used a TarpTent Notch for five years and thousands of miles; bugs have not been a problem.

rafe
10-20-2016, 16:52
I have a "branded" Tarptent, the Rainbow. No bugs at all, it is fully enclosed either with silnylon or bug screen.

nhartmann1
10-20-2016, 17:43
I have the ProTrail from Tarptent and have never had any issues with insects getting in. They make a great product.

Wil
10-20-2016, 17:59
As has been alluded to, there are 3 ways to interpret your "Tarp tent".
1. Tarp only, instead of a tent. Yes bugs can be a serious problem unless you batten down to the ground and even then.

2. Tarp tent generic meaning the type of tent that's more "tarp-like" but has bug netting and a floor, all sealed. No problem with bugs any more than a traditional tent. Great advice about not opening the door any more than you have to. If I leave it open for just half a minute (I'm coming right back to put something else in) I wind up with mosquitos and gnats inside! But they almost always seem to fly up to the peak so I can squish them. I did once spend a whole might with a spider and woke up with a bunch of bites. I hate zipping & unzipping constantly, it's hard on these small somewhat fragile zippers but that's what I have to do.

3. The Tarptent brand. They make fully enclosed tents and I think also tarps. So as in point #1 and #2 above.

I too user permethrin around the perimeter of my groundsheet/tent footprint, but mostly because I cowboy camp whenever possible so I like to keep the crawlies off the sheet. I have been severely criticized by people who think I'm environmentally irresponsible and wildlife hostile to do this. Permethrin is very bad for cats and fish so I dotty to be aware of that.

pesphoto
10-20-2016, 18:03
i have the protrail..no bugs get in, great tent!

Sarcasm the elf
10-20-2016, 18:16
I used a tarp tent without any problem about two weeks in May in the south. I am planning to hike May-July in the northerly half next year. I am a bit concerned that mosquitoes in MASS and black flies could be a problem if I use a tarp tent. Any suggestions?

Blackflies and Mosquitos will be a problem in MA that time of year regardless :eek: But a tarptent brand tent will keep them out. If you just use a tarp instead then make sure to figure some sort of bug netting for it. Also make sure to bring a headnet, trust me.

Lear
10-21-2016, 15:24
The first tarp explanation is what I referred to. I am sorry for the confusion. A tarp without anything underneath but a separate groundsheet, pad, and sleeping bag is what I used. It was open on the sides and even the edges would flap a bit. Does anyone know if I can use a bug net underneath this?

My tarp is an ENO brand, essentially two planes of fabric with stakes at four corners and ties on two ends.

Wil
10-21-2016, 16:15
Does anyone know if I can use a bug net underneath this?Lots of places make bugnet sacks, like bivis that for over your bag, with a tie-out to keep the net off your face. I have one from Mountain Laurel (I think). There is a very nice and inexpensive Chinese bug shelter that center-pyramids up in the middle to be supported by a tent pole. It's been discussed here recently.

Another Kevin
10-21-2016, 16:35
Blessed is he who sleepeth behind screening, for he shall remain sane.

If nothing else, get one of these (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Coghlans-Mosquito-Net/1546611.uts) at XYZ-Mart, the outfitter or the military surplus store. A little bit of utility cord will suspend it from whatever you use to hang your tarp.

Wil
10-21-2016, 19:48
Blessed is he who sleepeth behind screening, for he shall remain sane.In the early 1970s one of my experiments to lighten load was to use a tent fly only. In a general area I had been before, dry weather, cool. But the weather turned hot first night and the mosquitoes came out. One of the most horrible nights of my life. I would alternate between snugging into the bag and sweating profusely, and coming up for air and being absolutely tormented by the whine (THAT more than the bites themselves).

About 4 am I got up and scooped leaves all around the fly to fill in the opening between ground and the fly perimeter. It pretty much worked and I actually got a couple of hours of sleep. I had forgotten all about that night until I read your message.

Malto
10-21-2016, 20:08
The first tarp explanation is what I referred to. I am sorry for the confusion. A tarp without anything underneath but a separate groundsheet, pad, and sleeping bag is what I used. It was open on the sides and even the edges would flap a bit. Does anyone know if I can use a bug net underneath this?

My tarp is an ENO brand, essentially two planes of fabric with stakes at four corners and ties on two ends.

the biggest problem you will have is when it's hot. You will have to choose between dying of heat or bug bites. A hot NJ made me go away from trap bivy to a mid style tarp with a bug net inner in warmer weather.

MuddyWaters
10-21-2016, 23:04

Insect protection is luxury, not necessity.
Witness AT hikers that only sleep in open shelters

Under you bag, with hat and headnet on, you are well protected for sleeping.

I like my insect free zone however.
It's a mouse-free zone too....usually. The incontinent little ba$t@rds like to chew on $$$ gear. Particularly food or sweat soaked.

rafe
10-22-2016, 08:14

It's a mouse-free zone too....usually. The incontinent little ba$t@rds like to chew on $$$ gear. Particularly food or sweat soaked.

Considering all the colorful and exciting mosquito-borne diseases around, I'd suggest it's not really a luxury.

No organism has caused more human deaths than the mosquito.

Venchka
10-22-2016, 10:28
Considering all the colorful and exciting mosquito-borne diseases around, I'd suggest it's not really a luxury.

Aye. And the single greatest advance in medical care: Window screens.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaduck9
10-22-2016, 11:18

A possible solution to the question; http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=120

hope that helps..................

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 11:40
I used a tarp . . . without any problem about two weeks in May in the south. I am planning to hike May-July in the northerly half next year. I am a bit concerned that mosquitoes in MASS and black flies could be a problem if I use a tarp . . . Any suggestions?

Yes, bugs can be a serious problem, even while hiking. During the very worst bug hatchings, there is nothing better for your sanity than a good bug net tent or tent with bug netting.

BUT, that being said, I almost always use a tarp shelter and rarely find bugs to be a big enough problem that I ever use or even carry either of my lovely bug tents. In the end, if the bugs aren't so miserable that they chase me off the trail all together, I can generally manage them fine with permethrine treated cloths and bug repellent (picaridin for black flies, not DEET) and maybe a head net. It also helps to cook and camp in areas that aren't too swampy and have a bit of a breeze. It also helps if you make dinner in the late afternoon/evening and then hike until bed time so you aren't trying to hang around camp outside your sleeping system for an extended period of time.

If you had to pick a time of year to maximize your likelihood of bug problems, you certainly chose well. :jump

I'd probably consider taking one of my bug tents, and then choose not to, and just take a sheet of bug screen to drape over my head at night if the bugs got really bad. You can hang/drape a 4'x4' sheet of netting a few inches off your head with a string up to your tarp ridge-line, making a little micro bug tent that is a lot less to carry and set up than a whole bug tent. Try it out in your back yard or local park until you have a system that you like.

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 11:45
Considering all the colorful and exciting mosquito-borne diseases around. . .
Yeah, but not around the northern part of the AT, thank goodness. Northern AT is tick born diseases, not mosquito born ones.

cmoulder
10-22-2016, 12:27
the biggest problem you will have is when it's hot. You will have to choose between dying of heat or bug bites. A hot NJ made me go away from trap bivy to a mid style tarp with a bug net inner in warmer weather.

That's why we have Duplexes (Duplexi?). It's kinda fun just lying on the sleeping mat watching the gnats, mosquitoes and flies trying to get in.:)

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 12:49
That is a seriously cool round rock next to your Duplex. It looks like something inflatable that was painted camo on purpose.

rafe
10-22-2016, 13:00
Yeah, but not around the northern part of the AT, thank goodness. Northern AT is tick born diseases, not mosquito born ones.

I don't know that mosquitoes care about state boundaries. We certainly have them here in MA, and I've certainly experienced them in VT and NH. Mosquitoes in eastern MA have been found carrying EEE virus. West Nile virus has been seen in all of New England except for Maine and NH.

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 14:17
I don't know that mosquitoes care about state boundaries. . .
Of course they don't.

. . .We certainly have them here in MA, and I've certainly experienced them in VT and NH. . .
Yeah, but diseases with mosquito vectors (like most diseases actually) are fairly, if not highly, species specific, and different mosquito species occupy different climatic regions. So, just like African bees haven't been able to invade all of North America, most of the disease carrying mosquitoes are somewhat regional in their presence as well.

. . . Mosquitoes in eastern MA have been found carrying EEE virus. . .
Yeah, but I'd be more scared of being struck by lightning . . . or stubbing my toe for that matter. "Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) is a rare illness in humans, and only a few cases are reported in the United States each year. Most cases occur in the Atlantic and Gulf Coast states. Most persons infected with EEEV have no apparent illness."

. . . West Nile virus has been seen in all of New England except for Maine and NH.
Again, a vanishingly small likelihood of infection in New England anywhere, or anywhere along the AT for that matter. Probably more likely to be killed by a terrorist than become infected with West Nile on the AT. :eek: . . . and if you do become infected ". . . most people infected with WNV will have no symptoms. About 1 in 5 people who are infected will develop a fever with other symptoms. Less than 1% of infected people develop a serious, sometimes fatal, neurologic illness."

The world is only really scary if you dwell on highly unlikely events. People get hooked on gambling to add spice to their life. I wonder if dwelling on highly unlikely events like terrorist attacks, bear attacks or mosquito diseases in North America is just another way to keep us feeling alive.

rafe
10-22-2016, 15:19
nsherry: West Nile stats from CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/resources/pdfs/data/1-wnv-disease-cases-by-year_1999-2015_07072016.pdf

43,937 cases, 1,911 deaths since 1999. 2175 cases, 146 deaths in 2015.

EEE is much more rare, but there have been cases in my local area (eastern MA.)

These are hardly the only mosquito-borne illnesses of course. Zika is the latest. Malaria was, of course, the biggest killer, I think.

"In 2015, 48 out of 50 states reported WNV infections in people, mosquitoes, or birds. In those states, 2,060 cases of WNV were reported in humans, and there were 119 confirmed deaths (5.8%) in 2015. This is in line with 2014 data, which had 2,205 human cases of WNV and 97 deaths (4.4%)."

http://www.vdci.net/blog/2015-year-in-review

BTW, not writing off or ignoring tick-borne diseases. I'm pretty sure I've had one form or another of Lyme over the years. (Long lasting and/or serious symptoms often attributed to Lyme.)

Another Kevin
10-22-2016, 15:54
Aye. And the single greatest advance in medical care: Window screens.

I'd say that's the second greatest advance. The first is flush toilets.

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 16:52
nsherry: West Nile stats from CDC: . . . 43,937 cases, 1,911 deaths since 1999. 2175 cases, 146 deaths in 2015. . .
And, to the point, how many of those were along the AT? Let's not blow danger out of proportion. That's like bringing Zika into this discussion below when I doubt there is a single Zika incident along the AT ever.

EEE is much more rare, but there have been cases in my local area (eastern MA.)
And, I'm not denying that diseases exist and cause harm. I am suggesting that there are a lot of more dangerous things to be concerned with than mosquito born diseases along the AT. Take reasonable precautions and then don't sweat it. If you choose not to take prudent precautions, make sure you know the disease symptoms so you can get treated in a timely manner if needed.

These are hardly the only mosquito-borne illnesses of course. Zika is the latest. Malaria was, of course, the biggest killer, I think.

"In 2015, 48 out of 50 states reported WNV infections in people, mosquitoes, or birds. In those states, 2,060 cases of WNV were reported in humans, and there were 119 confirmed deaths (5.8%) in 2015. This is in line with 2014 data, which had 2,205 human cases of WNV and 97 deaths (4.4%)."

Yeah, it's dangerous. Yeah, taking reasonable precautions is prudent. . . but, back to an earlier quote:

I think we can safely state that, in North American, mosquitoes are not particularly dangerous and certainly not nearly as dangerous as other human beings.

BUT, I will give you that, outside of other human beings, mosquitoes are the most dangerous animal in the United States. So, maybe we should start bring up mosquitoes as a bigger danger (by far!!) than bears whenever bear safety threads get going. We can compare bears to mosquitoes instead of bears to the risk of dying from a car accident driving to the trail-head.

Actually, I think we should dramatize and exaggerate all the outdoor dangers (falling being the biggest of course) to keep more people from using and wearing out our natural areas. ;-)

MuddyWaters
10-22-2016, 19:13
Since yellow fever was eradicated in 20th century (in US), mosquito borne deaths in US are low. Before that, yes mosquitos wiped out tens of thousands per year, whole towns and communities.

MOST people are not succeptible to things like West Nile, etc. Some are, a low percentage unfortunately. I personally knew a retired coworker that died from it, he was 71. Bit by mosquito in his suburban backyard. But most people with healthy immune systems arent affected, especially the very young. This is same for most of these scare viruses. They can be devastating, but they do not result in pandemic becauase it is really only to a small percentage. This is a good thing, because you will never eradicate mosquitos, they are everywhere. Im doubtful that community efforts at mosquito control really do any good at all. At the height of west nile scare, planes would spraying over ballparks where my daughter played...while we were being eaten up by mosquitos in evenings. Did no good if you ask me.

Not saying dont take precautions. But your odds are good. People arent dieing left and right from mosquito bites. Im covered with them currently. still alive....I think.None came while sleeping.

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2016, 21:04

No biggie - Clearly you have not been to CANADA!....

Up north they (mosquitos) are worse than vampires...http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QNrLTDNSFgI/T7Oc0CZBvsI/AAAAAAAAM3U/H_X8-9PR6Ow/s1600/komar-0006.jpg

Although this image was taken in a different country... It reminds me of what I ran into...

Time Zone
10-22-2016, 21:05
you will never eradicate mosquitos,

It may not be impossible to eradicate the specific species which are the main carriers of disease, though:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35408835

The decision to undertake such a project involves more than merely the question of technical feasibility, though.

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2016, 21:10
And, to the point, how many of those were along the AT? Let's not blow danger out of proportion. That's like bringing Zika into this discussion below when I doubt there is a single Zika incident along the AT ever.

And, I'm not denying that diseases exist and cause harm. I am suggesting that there are a lot of more dangerous things to be concerned with than mosquito born diseases along the AT. Take reasonable precautions and then don't sweat it. If you choose not to take prudent precautions, make sure you know the disease symptoms so you can get treated in a timely manner if needed.

Yeah, it's dangerous. Yeah, taking reasonable precautions is prudent. . . but, back to an earlier quote:

I think we can safely state that, in North American, mosquitoes are not particularly dangerous and certainly not nearly as dangerous as other human beings.

BUT, I will give you that, outside of other human beings, mosquitoes are the most dangerous animal in the United States. So, maybe we should start bring up mosquitoes as a bigger danger (by far!!) than bears whenever bear safety threads get going. We can compare bears to mosquitoes instead of bears to the risk of dying from a car accident driving to the trail-head.

Actually, I think we should dramatize and exaggerate all the outdoor dangers (falling being the biggest of course) to keep more people from using and wearing out our natural areas. ;-)

Mosquito born disease continue to be the worlds biggest killer since the discontinued DDT.
I remember now....

We have here in Pennsylvania a Boy Scout Die at Horseshoe Reservation from Encephalitis.... So I I know that first hand...

Wise Old Owl
10-22-2016, 21:15
Uh Not to scare you folks....

Wake up..

Deaths 2015

A typical Jogger.

(http://www.vdci.net/blog/2015-year-in-review)
http://i.imgur.com/D8JykPJ.jpg

AfterParty
10-22-2016, 21:55
That is a seriously cool round rock next to your Duplex. It looks like something inflatable that was painted camo on purpose.

For real thanks for pointing that out!! Nice campsite

rocketsocks
10-22-2016, 22:40
That is a seriously cool round rock next to your Duplex. It looks like something inflatable that was painted camo on purpose.i thought it was the dogs bed, and I was getting jealous, nice one!

nsherry61
10-22-2016, 22:47
Mosquito born disease continue to be the worlds biggest killer since the discontinued DDT. . .
Maybe we can put this seemingly disproportionate attention to the danger of mosquitoes into a more meaningful context.
Mosquito born disease deaths in the USA apparently total somewhere around 200-300 per year. Seems like a scary number. But, as a comparison, since 1976, depending on the year, the common seasonal flu, in the United States, killed from 3000 to almost 50,000 people per year.

As AT hikers, I don't see us getting overly stressing out over the flu which kills 10 to 100 times more people than mosquitoes.

rafe
10-22-2016, 23:42
As AT hikers, I don't see us getting overly stressing out over the flu which kills 10 to 100 times more people than mosquitoes.

I never meant to imply that a mosquito bite is a death sentence. OTOH, I do suggest that effective protection from mosquitoes and other bugs is not really a "luxury" on the AT. And that the need for such protection isn't confined to the south.

As to the effects of cold and flu on the AT -- I know of one retired couple, friends of mine on my thru hike attempt -- who quit their thru hike after contracting severe colds. Having reached that age myself now, it's a real concern. I'm more susceptible, and recovery takes longer when I do get one. It's lovely having a young, robust body and immune system, but not all of us are in that spot.

Wil
10-23-2016, 06:21
As to the effects of cold and flu on the AT -- I know of one retired couple, friends of mine on my thru hike attempt -- who quit their thru hike after contracting severe colds.A little OT but I camped at Garfield Pond in the Whites with a group of north bounders a few weeks ago. One of them had a cough so deep, prolonged and spasmatic that if it were up to me he'd have been taken to a doctor. They wound up doing a layover day I think (I moved on) on a cold rainy day with temps that night forecast near freezing. They were talking about banking a fire to face his tent.

Hope they made it. Hope he's still alive, made it or not.

nsherry61
10-23-2016, 09:54
I never meant to imply that a mosquito bite is a death sentence. OTOH, I do suggest that effective protection from mosquitoes and other bugs is not really a "luxury" on the AT. And that the need for such protection isn't confined to the south.
Point taken.

But, now I'm getting pulled in the other direction of debating that grey line of "luxury" item and it probably needing to be defined by the individual, not the community.

To me, toilet paper is a luxury item that I don't even find luxurious.
To me, a tent is a luxury item that I don't even find luxurious. Tarps rock.
To me, a stove is a luxury item that I do use at least half the time and really enjoy when I have it.
To me, mosquito netting is a luxury item, since I can survive without it and I rarely actually even use it.

Dang, I gotta go and this list could go on until I was "Naked and Afraid". Okay, not really, I don't consider food or a water container luxury items.

Wise Old Owl
10-23-2016, 10:18
Maybe we can put this seemingly disproportionate attention to the danger of mosquitoes into a more meaningful context.
Mosquito born disease deaths in the USA apparently total somewhere around 200-300 per year. Seems like a scary number. But, as a comparison, since 1976, depending on the year, the common seasonal flu, in the United States, killed from 3000 to almost 50,000 people per year.

West Nile, Encephalitis, Chikungunya, and now a little thing called Zika.

Maryland and surrounding areas appears to be a "confirmed hotspot"

For those that are interested Here is the VDC for 2015 with detailed explanation. CLICK (http://www.vdci.net/blog/2015-year-in-review)

"In 2015, 48 out of 50 states reported WNV infections in people, mosquitoes, or birds. In those states, 2,060 cases of WNV were reported in humans, and there were 119 confirmed deaths (5.8%) in 2015. This is in line with 2014 data, which had 2,205 human cases of WNV and 97 deaths (4.4%). Keep an eye out for a future blog post with much greater detail about WNV and its effect on humans, as well as on bird populations.

Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE): EEE is also transmitted to humans by the bite of an infected mosquito, but is fortunately a rare illness for humans, with only a few cases reported in the United States each year. Although some people infected with EEE have no apparent illness, severe cases of EEE lead to inflammation of the brain, often beginning with a high fever, headaches, and vomiting. The illness will often progress into disorientation, seizures, or coma. EEE is a severe mosquito-transmitted disease, with about a 33% mortality rate. Additionally, even survivors can develop significant brain damage. "

nsherry61
10-23-2016, 13:01
West Nile, Encephalitis, Chikungunya, and now a little thing called Zika. . .
And, there is not one case of locally transmitted Zika in the continental United States outside of Florida.
And, there are, on average 8 cases of EEE reported nation wide.

Why are we even discussing these?

Your likelihood of dying due to falling is roughly 1000x greater than death by mosquito, so my recommendation is to not get out of bed, especially if your bed has side rails on it to keep you from accidentally falling out of it.

Puddlefish
10-23-2016, 15:02
I have fairly thick skin and the self control not to itch mosquito bites, so they heal up pretty quickly when I do get them. The buzzing by my ears keeps me from sleeping at times. That said, in mosquito or black fly season, I'll use DDT and/or bug netting. I like to rinse chemicals off of my skin before I sleep, thus night time is bug screen time.

Even in early spring, I have the bug net up, because it it's integrated with my ground cover. I may not zip it up, but if conditions change from one night to the next, I have the flexibility to do so. The weight and space in the pack taken up are negligible and I don't have to worry about shipping or switching equipment mid hike.

Luxury or not, I can't even imagine any reason beyond a pissing contest style of bragging rights why you wouldn't bring some form of netting.

Cheyou
10-23-2016, 15:29
And, there is not one case of locally transmitted Zika in the continental United States outside of Florida.
And, there are, on average 8 cases of EEE reported nation wide.

Why are we even discussing these?

Your likelihood of dying due to falling is roughly 1000x greater than death by mosquito, so my recommendation is to not get out of bed, especially if your bed has side rails on it to keep you from accidentally falling out of it.

And dont even even think about taking a shower. Death is lurking around every corner!!!! .
thom

nsherry61
10-23-2016, 16:25
And dont even even think about taking a shower. Death is lurking around every corner!!!!
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Lear
10-24-2016, 11:03
Thanks! I will at least carry a bug shirt and hat and experiment with a net hung from the tarp.

swisscross
10-24-2016, 11:06
I want to tarp also but ticks, actually Lyme, scare the crap out of me.

nsherry61
10-24-2016, 11:28
I want to tarp also but ticks, actually Lyme, scare the crap out of me.
I don't know that tents and nets really help that much with ticks. Most of us accumulate ticks during the day as they drop onto us from grass, etc that we are walking through. It's unlikely that a tick will find you while you are sleeping and then crawl onto you.

A few things. Lyme disease is real and sucks and in 90% of cases, especially if caught early, is very treatable with readily available antibiotics. Some people actually carry doxycycline with them so that can start taking it at the earliest signs and symptoms without having to wait for a doctor's visit.

Permethrine works wonders against ticks!!!
Again, permethrine works wonders against ticks!!!

Keep your socks, shoes and pants treated with permethrine, and it is unlikely that you will have any problems. Keep everything else (shirts, coats, hats, tents, packs, etc) treated with permethrine and you have an even smaller likelihood of having tick problems.

Inspect yourself regularly and thoroughly, with a mirror as needed for the harder to see areas, and/or with a partner. If you check every day for ticks, you can reduce your anxiety, and reduce your likelihood of experiencing lyme disease to almost 0%.

FWIW, living in the Boston area, a lyme disease epicenter, I know very few people that are active outdoors (even if just their back yards) and have not had lyme disease. A very small number of them have had on-going issues. The vast majority of them found lyme disease a significant nuisance, but have no long-term issues from it.

swisscross
10-24-2016, 12:06
I don't know that tents and nets really help that much with ticks. Most of us accumulate ticks during the day as they drop onto us from grass, etc that we are walking through. It's unlikely that a tick will find you while you are sleeping and then crawl onto you.

A few things. Lyme disease is real and sucks and in 90% of cases, especially if caught early, is very treatable with readily available antibiotics. Some people actually carry doxycycline with them so that can start taking it at the earliest signs and symptoms without having to wait for a doctor's visit.

Permethrine works wonders against ticks!!!
Again, permethrine works wonders against ticks!!!

Keep your socks, shoes and pants treated with permethrine, and it is unlikely that you will have any problems. Keep everything else (shirts, coats, hats, tents, packs, etc) treated with permethrine and you have an even smaller likelihood of having tick problems.

Inspect yourself regularly and thoroughly, with a mirror as needed for the harder to see areas, and/or with a partner. If you check every day for ticks, you can reduce your anxiety, and reduce your likelihood of experiencing lyme disease to almost 0%.

FWIW, living in the Boston area, a lyme disease epicenter, I know very few people that are active outdoors (even if just their back yards) and have not had lyme disease. A very small number of them have had on-going issues. The vast majority of them found lyme disease a significant nuisance, but have no long-term issues from it.

I treat everything.
Have a few friends that were misdiagnosed for years and suffer long term affects of Lyme that I don't want.

josh_ATL
10-30-2016, 22:35
I used a hammock without a bug net all last summer and didn't have a huge problem with bugs at night. That said, they were more than a slight inconvenience when there way daylight. I will probably keep my same setup to save on weight, but if I had to do over I'd buy something with a built in bug net.

Lnj
10-31-2016, 18:01
I think the true safety concern for mosquitos would be my sanity. The sound and the itching is enough to drive me to drink ... Clorox. Also the netting keeps spiders off of you, which do and will bite your face and whatever else and are poisonous and can rot your flesh away if it happens to be the right type. I have an indention in my face right as a testament and the netting keeps all critters and insects off of your person while you try to sleep, which is a plus. Its a big enough plus without even considering any type of serious illness. Just sanity. Anything that aids in your hiking experience versus detracting from it is a worthy endeavor.

Jim Adams
11-01-2016, 01:07
Used a tarp for 2 thru hikes and only needed deet for 2 nights each thru. Bugs were not a problem at all.

Nealster
12-05-2016, 18:20
Has anyone tried picaridin? Allegedly it is plastic safe. Doesn't stink and not as toxic too. Sounds to me as though it could replace netting except for the spider thing.

Dogwood
12-05-2016, 18:44

That's ignoring the human deaths directly caused by another human's homicidal actions. Start adding in indirect and consequential human deaths from non direct homicidal human activities and it's clear more human deaths occur through the actions of other humans than any other source rather than some outside source or other species. Humans don't like being emotionally and intellectually honest about what they are capable of in a negative sense. Mosquitos are right up there second on the list though.

ScareBear
12-05-2016, 18:52
Has anyone tried picaridin? Allegedly it is plastic safe. Doesn't stink and not as toxic too. Sounds to me as though it could replace netting except for the spider thing.

I used picaridin this August in Jamaica. No sand flea bites, no no-see-um bites....no bites at all. And, Jamaica in August in the jungle is the stuff nightmares are made of....

The stuff does work.

A big bonus is that picaridin is far less toxic than DEET and does not adversely react with plastics/enamels/fabric.

Sawyer is the big marketer of picaridin right now...

jeffmeh
12-05-2016, 19:12

I'm a big fan of Picaridin, as it does work well. That said, I would never go without bug netting during peak bug season in New England.