PDA

View Full Version : Keeping batteries charged in the cold

ADVStrom14
10-21-2016, 10:45
I am going on my first cold weather backpacking trip this december. I'm bringing a battery charger unit but I'll also bring an extra camera battery. How do you keep batteries from losing their charge in the cold weather? I thought about putting them in a little baggie and just keeping them in my coat pocket but wanted to see what others do in that situation. Thanks!

Jes

nsherry61
10-21-2016, 10:56
Batteries don't loose their charge in the cold, they just don't last as long when used cold. So, use lithium batteries, which aren't as temperature sensitive as other chemistries, and then keep working batteries (or batteries about to be used) inside your clothing and/or sleeping bag to get the most work out of them.

In winter, I often carry a small backpack or fanny-pack backwards (on my front side) inside my jacket to keep my water, water filter, and electronics from freezing. I don't like crap in my pockets most of the time because pockets are not generally well positioned to be both out of my way when moving and inside my insulation to stay warm.

saltysack
10-21-2016, 11:33
As NS said I use a lithium aa battery in my head lamp never had issue...I'd be more concerned with your stove fuel and filter.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starchild
10-21-2016, 12:09
What could happen is the device won't work in the cold, but the energy is there, just not accessible, or the device just won't work in the cold. If that is the case you can keep the batteries and or device in your pocket, or somewhere to get body (or other) heat.

colorado_rob
10-21-2016, 12:55
As has been already said, cold doesn't drain a battery, but using it cold is a bad idea (it has less juice available, and will drain quickly), just warm it (the battery and the device) up in a pocket before use, and voila, good to go. Using the baggie to keep off condensation is a good idea for the device especially if you keep it in an inside pocket.

And of course, Lithium batteries (AA's and AAA's, that is, not device batteries) work much better in the cold, but are damn expensive.

perrito
10-21-2016, 12:59
I just keep my phone and Anker battery in my pockets too. That and airplane mode keep the phone from draining.

Sarcasm the elf
10-21-2016, 13:03
I just keep my phone and Anker battery in my pockets too. That and airplane mode keep the phone from draining.

This, I just keep mine in my inside jacket pocket (in a bag so they don't get wet from sweat) during the day and in my sleeping bag at night.

ryply76
10-21-2016, 15:17
Good advice, thanks nsherry61.

ADVStrom14
10-21-2016, 19:17
OK good. Glad to know that I was at least on the right track. Thanks everyone!