PDA

View Full Version : Who hikes now?

Programbo
01-13-2006, 22:15
This is a serious question...I`m mainly aiming this at the long time (Like 20-30 years) AT hikers but would like to hear from some of the younger people why they hike..My main question for the long timers is...Do you find the attitude of and the personality type of the young people who hike the trial NOW is the same as it was back in the 70`s-early 80`s?..I ask because I see the way society has changed and people in general and wondered where the new generation of AT hikers comes from and what they are like...Back when I did the most of my serious long distance hiking in the 70`s the average young hiker was sort of a blend of John Denver and 60`s hippie..I look at the photos on here and most of the people look similar to those I recall but that era of history has passed and I`m curious what motivates and inspires the new generation and how they interact...I`m starting to get ready for a return to more active hiking and needless to say my trial mindset and memory is frozen in the 70`s when I stopped my long haul trips (Still did some short stuff and solo stuff out west but little people contact)...I recently made a short hike up to one of the shelters in Maryland and everything still looked just as I remembered it even after 30 years and I felt right at home but I ran into no one on the trial or at the shelter that day (Mid-week work/school day)...Thanks for all replies :)

fiddlehead
01-14-2006, 00:57
The only change i see in the folks out hiking now compared to when i started in the 70's is that the people now are more informed (internet related probably)
Back then, you tended to see many beginners wearing jeans until they figured it out. But attitudes seem the same.
IT's always good to get out in Nature no matter what era you live in i think.
Sounds like you're looking for some hikes where there are lots of people. I now prefer searching out where there are less people. (out west, Nepal, off season hikes, etc.)
anyway, good luck.

Frog
01-14-2006, 08:43
There are a lot of changes from the 70s the trail is worn more in some areas mostly around the shelters. The hikers have a lot and i mean a lot of better gear. Less face it the gear changes where started by the people who hiked in the 70s. One thing that never changes is the fact the we all want to see what the world looks like away from the city. When i hike and talk to hikers the attitude really seems to be the same. But one big difference is that now i see hikers thinking they have to do big miles to feel like they have done something that day. My mine set hasnt changed i just want to hike and see what i can see.. Weather i do 3 miles or 15. And truthfully i can see and enjoy my self much more by doing the smaller miles. In the 70s and early 80s it was a more hippie - john denver type of people out there. But it is that people change and the biggest diff. is that the trail only changes with the build up of houses on the moutain sides.

Programbo
01-14-2006, 09:29
[quote=fiddlehead] Sounds like you're looking for some hikes where there are lots of people. I now prefer searching out where there are less people. [quote]

Actually I`d prefer less people but I guess I`m just expecting more people than I remember

Footslogger
01-14-2006, 12:11
The change I see isn't in the people but more in the gear they carry and their attitude about it. When I was younger and just getting started in the whole backpacking thing I felt fortunate to be in a scout troop that had "loaner" backpacks and tents. We carried canvas ruck sacks and "shelter half" tents (military surplus).

Not complaing about the old days. We didn't know any better. But one thing for sure today ...you mainly see hikers with relatively modern gear, most of which is of the newer and lighter type. Hikers today are really "IN" to their gear and talk a lot about it. As young kids we hiked to get out in the woods and didn't pay much attention to the gear we carried.

'Slogger

Programbo
01-14-2006, 15:02
>>> But one thing for sure today ...you mainly see hikers with relatively modern gear, most of which is of the newer and lighter type. Hikers today are really "IN" to their gear and talk a lot about it.<<<

I can relate to that as I sold backpacking equipment for almost 11 years..Many a time I would try and sell someone the correct type pack for the hiking they`d be doing but they insisted on getting a more expensive pack which while it may have been ideal for mountaineering or winter hiking it wasn`t the best pack for open trail hiking..But it was high tech so they had to have it

Nean
01-14-2006, 16:43
I've spent time on the trail since AT9 and the biggest change in the trail(s), IMO, are that they have gotten easier. Better marked, maintianed;), routed, etc. People? More, yes; but there seem to be more w/ the attitude that light and fast = smarter and better. Actually, I credit most of this to a marketing guy who found(ed) a "way" to tap into the rat race- reward mentality of the masses. Ignore or amuse yourself w/ these types and I think you will find the basic qualities of the trail and the people who love it are timeless.

Tinker
01-14-2006, 17:08
I notice that the younger hikers today are generally less upper class (hippies were often the product of rebellion against wealthy parents and their materialistic values, and many were college educated to some degree).

BTW: It's FEWER people, not less. (Former overeducated, underemployed, pot smoking hippie).:)

Things which can easily be broken down to individual units are referred to as few or many.
Things often spoken of in measures of volume, not easily broken down into individual units are referred to as more or less, example: Does your car use more or less gasoline than your friend's.

Rain Man
01-14-2006, 18:49
Things which can easily be broken down to individual units are referred to as few or many. Things often spoken of in measures of volume, not easily broken down into individual units are referred to as more or less, example: Does your car use more or less gasoline than your friend's.

Yes! And if all those vehicles with less gasoline are unable to crowd the highways, you don't have "fewer" traffic, you have "less" traffic.

Though, you might have fewer vehicles! LOL

After this lesson, Tinker, you and I might be getting "fewer" love from our fellow WhiteBlazers! Or, is that "less" love?

Rain:sunMan

Topcat
01-14-2006, 18:54
I went on my first backpacking trip in October of 1972 as an 11 year old boy scout and I would say equipment and clothing is the biggest difference. It is funny reading the jeans comments. I can remember when the synthetics first started, that we would make fun of the people wearing them, we even used to ski in jeans.

Mags
01-14-2006, 19:39
I't light and fast = smarter and better. Actually, I credit most of this to a marketing guy who found(ed) a "way" to tap into the rat race- reward mentality of the masses. Ignore or amuse yourself w/ these types and I think you will find the basic qualities of the trail and the people who love it are timeless.
Ain't that the truth. Lightweight backpacking is nothing new...using gear to replace knowledge to go lightweight is new. (see FASTPACKING. *** is that?!?!). So instead of you need heavy and expensive gear to thrive in the woods...it is now you need LIGHT and expensive gear. :)

I go lightweight..but mainlly because I am lazy. :) I enjoy hiking all day and just sleep and eat in camp. Works for me. If you saw my cook set pics, you will realize I an't too much of a gear wonk....

I will stick by own personal rule.. just enjoy yourself. Sometime it means going lighter and slow, sometimes it means going lighter and faster. Could mean lots of goodies for camp. Whatever. Just enjoy being outside.

And the joy of being outside is what will *NOT* change among outdoor lovers of all types.

Kerosene
01-14-2006, 19:42
You just beat me, Topcat. Outside of short jaunts that were more like hiking into a campsite, my first real backpacking trip was in April 1973 as a 15-year old with two other boy scouts. The equipment is certainly better, but the synthetic clothing really makes a difference, both in comfort and safety. Here's a picture (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=65&c=665&userid=3) of me at High Point near the end of our New Jersey section hike in my jeans and jeans jacket!

The trail is generally in better shape, with better marking, and there are certainly a lot more thru-hikers than in the 70's. There's more traffic on more nearby highways resulting in more sound. There are a ton of bears to be found in the Mid-Atlantic states that just weren't there in the 70's. There are many more services to be found at road crossings, and many more trail angels helping out. In fact, I don't think I ran across any sort of planned angel activity back then.

Beyond that, it's still a wonderful place to get away.

Programbo
01-14-2006, 20:16
What`s wrong with jeans?..I can`t recall ever having any problems while hiking that made me wish I had something else :confused:

Programbo
01-14-2006, 22:18
By the way..THIS is the type mentality I was worried about finding in todays hikers..After reading this persons log I have no idea why he was even out there:

http://www.andrewskurka.com/AT02/faq.asp

Whistler
01-14-2006, 22:53
By the way..THIS is the type mentality I was worried about finding in todays hikers..After reading this persons log I have no idea why he was even out there:

http://www.andrewskurka.com/AT02/faq.asp

Maybe because he found it to be an "extremely rewarding and a great experience – something that I will remember, talk about, and be affected by for the rest of my life" ?

Just a guess.
-Mark

MedicineMan
01-15-2006, 04:17
my daughter is a good example, will not accept a B on the grade report, already taking college level classes as a junior in high school, hell bent on an ivey league school.....transfer this to the current era of hikers (not all mind you) and you get '21 miles today but will get 22 tomorow', '30days straight, yesterday almost got 30 miles' or 'we want the three state challenge'...i think the kids are more driven these days to compete in everything

Programbo
01-15-2006, 09:15
Maybe because he found it to be an "extremely rewarding and a great experience – something that I will remember, talk about, and be affected by for the rest of my life" ?Just a guess.-Mark

Actually the main part right above that is what bothered me..When asked if he had fun he answered...."No, it was definitely not. I associate “fun” with leisure – and the trail is about as far from leisure as one can possibly get. Any person who starts the trail with the idea that it will be a “fun” experience is completely disillusioned; their romantic notions of the trail will be crushed in the first quarter of the trail..." This and other statements lead me to think his "extremely rewarding" meant he accomplished a physical sporting goal like a marathon or triathlon..I feel a lot of todays trial hikers view it as some sort of extreme sport or technical challenge or sporting event

Whistler
01-15-2006, 10:47
my daughter is a good example, will not accept a B on the grade report, already taking college level classes as a junior in high school, hell bent on an ivey league school.....transfer this to the current era of hikers (not all mind you) and you get '21 miles today but will get 22 tomorow', '30days straight, yesterday almost got 30 miles' or 'we want the three state challenge'...i think the kids are more driven these days to compete in everything
Probably true. I think a good bit of that is parental influence. There are more parents willing to work with and advocate for their kids. I've heard tales of calling up college professors: "She got a B? No! My daughter is an A student!" Some call it meddling, some call it support. But this only-the-best attitude can be contagious. I'm willing to bet that it's also a more competitive world. BAs are a dime a dozen--"What's your value-add?" as they say. You see high school freshman these days already planning for college. Scary scary. Not the planning, per se, but the commitment to two decades of schooling as the One True Way to the Good Life. At the same time, I think my generation is more sensitve to work/life balance, and that's why you still see quite a few on the trail.

This and other statements lead me to think his "extremely rewarding" meant he accomplished a physical sporting goal like a marathon or triathlon..I feel a lot of todays trial hikers view it as some sort of extreme sport or technical challenge or sporting event
Programbo, I see where you coming from. I don't think that attitude is as pervasive in reality as it is in the press. There are a quite a few pressure-cooker-hikers out there. But I had more of my peers offer me joints than ask if I wanted to do a 30 the next day. And the AT experience is probably different. It's not as rugged or mysterious or adventuruous as it used to be. You can literally plan every mile of your journey. Maybe the shift to Type-A hiking is just a challenge to replace other difficulties that no longer exist.

-Mark

wacocelt
01-15-2006, 11:11
Asking so broad a question as 'who hikes now?' is like asking 'who reads books now?' There will always be someone partaking in an activity of your choise that doesn't fit your current vision of who, what, when, where they should be. The one example you have given is by far an eception, as you would know if you have read more than a half dozen posts here on whiteblaze.
There is a large diversity of economical, political and religious background on the AT and within the next decade I predict there will be a larger racial diversity as well. I have made more life-long friends in my last few years along the AT than I did in previous years spent in the Army or living in my home town.
Please realize that as long as you're looking for bad apples then you'll find them. My thoughts are, that if you're lucky enough to walk even a few weeks and a few hundred miles on the AT, you'll have to try very hard NOT to meet some of the greatest and most interesting people on Earth.

Just Jeff
01-15-2006, 11:48

http://www.andrewskurka.com/AT02/faq.asp (http://www.andrewskurka.com/AT02/faq.asp)

He was hiking his own hike?

I wonder why people on both sides of this divide feel like the other side is doing it wrong.

DavidNH
01-15-2006, 12:58
Hello,

I just read this thread about hikers on the AT and Programbo's link to this guy who averaged 23 miles a day and saw the trail as no fun. Of course it was no fun. He didn't allow himself the time to rest, or just to experience the moment. He did the trail in 95 days. That's 3 months!! I bet he didn't do any side trails..just head up and full speed ahead!

I know all sorts of folks are going to get on my case for saying this (this hike your own hike thing) but I will say it anyway. I think a long trail like the AT should serve to allow folks to escape the trappings of society, the hustle and bustle, and provide a fellowship with the wilderness (hmmm.. isn't that the ATC's motto?). Yet instead folks bring there attitudes with them. If they are cut throat competative in their "regular" lives they hike that way too. Frankly it bothers me when folks turn the mountains in to some sort of contest. They see mountains as a place to race through rather than as a place for renewal.

Man I have seen this a lot..especially in the White Mountains on AMC trips. And guess where I found the most competative hikers to be from? The AMC young members group of the BOSTON chapter. Young upwardly mobile professionals. One time even I was on a weekend back pack in the Kinsman Range of the Whites and we had to be done by 1pm on Sunday so folks could beat the rush hour traffic back to Boston! Good Grief!http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon8.gif

DavidNH

tville_hiker
01-15-2006, 13:08
i'm 19 and went on my frist real hike last month
i want to hike because i love being outdoors and seeing nature, i'm not the type of person to go to a big city to have fun..i'd much rather take a couple close friends and go hiking or camping..
my parents always took us camping when i was a kid so i've always loved being outdoors

Nearly Normal
01-15-2006, 14:42
Set up a trail magic for about a week and you will see who is out there.
Later in the season, set up again and you will see who sticks to it.
Pete

Tinker
01-15-2006, 16:46
The competion thing: Seems as though there are more competitors, among the younger set, and maybe among the older self-professing "athlete". This may have something to do with the so-called "Reality" shows out there, which are anything BUT!

Back in the 70's most folks I found on the trail were out there to experience nature (of course, these were ordinarily not thruhikers). I think that among the weekenders this might be more true today than the "long distance" croud of whom I considered myself for a brief period before the onset of "mid life". I am now forced by age to hike more slowly and pack lighter, which makes me see and hear more and camp with fewer luxuries, and, generally (thanks to "vitamin I") ;) , enjoy my trail miles more.

I am changing, and in turn, changing the demographics of the hiking community.

Tinker
01-15-2006, 16:48
Good for you, tville, enjoying nature is the foundation for a good hiking experience.

Nean
01-15-2006, 18:51
ain't it a bitch when some people get something different out of the trail than you? Here is somethin to make youens feel better; consider how the Indians look at your "thru hike". HYOH, but......

Tinker
01-16-2006, 00:48
To quote Bill Mason, in his "Waterwalker" video, "....to the native Americans, it wasn't wilderness, it was home."

The notion of a thru-hike (or hiking, or even camping) is strange to most people outside of the Euro-American heritage.

I grew up watching Daniel Boon and Davy Crockett on black and white TV. I think that's where I got the romantic notion of walking in the wilderness. I did a lot of camping with the family when I was young, but didn't start hiking multiple overnighters until I was nearly 30.

There's nothing as soothing as the sounds of nature when you're dead tired from trail miles, be they 2 or 20.

Mags
01-16-2006, 12:42
How is walking 10 miles somehow better than 25 miles?

Does HYOH mean "Hike your Own Hike...as long as you do it my way".

Some people happen to enjoy hiking all day and not spending a lot of time in camp. I'm one of those people. I can comftorably do 20, 25 or even 30 miles day. Not because I am some type A personality, but simply because I love to walk. Hiking from sunrise to sunset. Taking in the rhytms of the day. Hearing the morning birds and seeing the alpen glow at sunset.

You want to spend time in camp and/or a lot of time taking breaks..cool.

But, please give me the same respect I give you.

wacocelt
01-16-2006, 13:07
I just read this thread about hikers on the AT and Programbo's link to this guy who averaged 23 miles a day and saw the trail as no fun. Of course it was no fun. He didn't allow himself the time to rest, or just to experience the moment. He did the trail in 95 days. That's 3 months!! I bet he didn't do any side trails..just head up and full speed ahead!

I've heard of folks having done the ntire trail in 5 or 6 months and saying the same thing. That it wasn't fun, but was a fulfilling experience. Everyone isn't on the same trip as everyone else, I'm not talkig about walking. There is a place for every hiker and every hiking style.

I'm beginning to think that HYOH needs some spicing up to make people actually PAY ATTENTION to it. Perhaps something like Hike Your Own Hike You Judgemental S***'s? By the way, yes I recognize the irony of me judging you, judging them, but i'm judging you FOR judging them, NOT for hiking your way

Tha Wookie
01-16-2006, 13:12
Maybe because he found it to be an "extremely rewarding and a great experience – something that I will remember, talk about, and be affected by for the rest of my life" ?

Just a guess.
-Mark

Mark, maybe he was reading the part where Andrew answered the question, "Was hiking the AT fun?"

His response: "No, it was definitely not. I associate “fun” with leisure – and the trail is about as far from leisure as one can possibly get. Any person who starts the trail with the idea that it will be a “fun” experience is completely disillusioned; their romantic notions of the trail will be crushed in the first quarter of the trail – and, for many, it happens earlier than that, as evidenced by the number of hikers waiting for the bus at Neil’s Gap, just 30 miles north of Springer. Remember that the trail, in its most reduced form, is a hike of 2168.8 miles in length – hitting up trail-town bars, taking days off, hostelling it, and spending hours at scenic vistas are not rewarded with “bonus miles.” The only way to finish is by walking; any non-walking activities are distractions."

Doesn't sound like my AT hike. Now THAT was FUN!:D

Nean
01-16-2006, 13:24
Well, one of us is "completely disillusioned"!!! If it's me, thank goodness. Sounds like this poor soul read one too many books from out west!;)

Whistler
01-16-2006, 13:42
Skurka wrote, "No, it was definitely not [fun]... etc.etc."
Programbo said, "I have no idea why he was even out there"
Skurka wrote in the next paragraph, "However, this summer was extremely rewarding and a great experience"

That's what I was trying to clarify. Given the choice, people don't do things they don't want to be doing. So it should be obvious why he was out there--especially when it's explicitly identified as a rewarding experience. Not trying to say that Skurka's comments are accurate for anyone except for Skurka, but answers usually come with context.

Granted, I would have been better off not being sarcastic in the first place. I never would have gotten myself into this mess. :)

[white flag]
-Mark

Spirit Walker
01-17-2006, 16:12
For me, long distance hiking doesn't qualify as fun - it hurts too much most of the time - but it is happiness. There's a difference. There are fun moments, certainly, but the experience as a whole isn't 'fun'. It is rewarding. I love being out in nature, walking with the seasons. I love the sense of adventure, looking for wildlife and beauty around every corner. I am extremely happy when I am living the long distance life. However, for some of us, it is often difficult and quite painful to walk all day, every day, for months. I do it because for me the rewards are greater than the cost. But when people who haven't thruhiked say, "Oh that sounds like so much fun." I have to laugh.

Almost There
01-17-2006, 17:32
Walking in the rain when it's 40 degrees is not fun. Walking in 90 degree weather with the bugs biting is not fun, but good friends and great vistas are priceless...that is why I hike!

Programbo
01-18-2006, 20:24
Walking in the rain when it's 40 degrees is not fun. Walking in 90 degree weather with the bugs biting is not fun, but good friends and great vistas are priceless...that is why I hike!

To quote the Borg Queen when she was asked if being assimilated and hearing all the other Borgs thoughts was fun by a small boy.."Yes. It`s fun."

To me hiking was always fun..Overall...Obviously there are moments when things are not going as you`d like but you can`t write off the entire trip based on those isolated moments...I can sense it will be impossible for me to explain to the younger folks the mindset of the long distance AT hiker of 30-some years ago as that age is gone and it might seem insane or a lie to them that someone would truly find it "fun"..To think that it`s raining and 40 degrees and you are carrying a 45 pound pack up a rocky slope and yet you would rather be there at that moment than anywhere else :)

Cookerhiker
01-18-2006, 21:18
This is a serious question...I`m mainly aiming this at the long time (Like 20-30 years) AT hikers but would like to hear from some of the younger people why they hike..My main question for the long timers is...Do you find the attitude of and the personality type of the young people who hike the trial NOW is the same as it was back in the 70`s-early 80`s?..I ask because I see the way society has changed and people in general and wondered where the new generation of AT hikers comes from and what they are like...Back when I did the most of my serious long distance hiking in the 70`s the average young hiker was sort of a blend of John Denver and 60`s hippie..I look at the photos on here and most of the people look similar to those I recall but that era of history has passed and I`m curious what motivates and inspires the new generation and how they interact...I`m starting to get ready for a return to more active hiking and needless to say my trial mindset and memory is frozen in the 70`s when I stopped my long haul trips (Still did some short stuff and solo stuff out west but little people contact)...I recently made a short hike up to one of the shelters in Maryland and everything still looked just as I remembered it even after 30 years and I felt right at home but I ran into no one on the trial or at the shelter that day (Mid-week work/school day)...Thanks for all replies :)

Getting back to your original question, sure there are obvious changes in gear (thus presumably making it easier for marginally-interested or capable hikers to come out) and changes in society and politics but I don't see a fundamental difference in the makeup of most backpackers now vs. my first backpacking trip nearly 30 years ago.

mabelke
01-18-2006, 22:01
I am one of the "newer" generations of hikers, just graduated college, in grad school right now and planning for 2007. I agree with others that it isnt always fun, but on the overall it is. I also think it is todays fast generation. The website you quoted, he was in between two years of school. Time was of the essence and he was limited on the amount of time he had. Some might say, then dont hike it, wait until later. I personally think that even making that is challening. We all hike for our own reasons and I personally want to be able to finish is 3-4 months. I plan on going with the smallest amount of zero days. I have school until june and I dont want to be hiking until January. This is one of the best times for me to go. Yes, it is a race of sorts, but somewhat constrained by the time that we have. Something that Andrew was workign against.

wyclif
01-18-2006, 22:44
But I had more of my peers offer me joints than ask if I wanted to do a 30 the next day.

-Mark

Here's to lifting the haebar!

RockyTrail
01-19-2006, 00:48
My first backpacking trip was in '71 or '72...the equipment was much more haphazard then, but the main difference I see is communication. We didn't hardly know anyone else that backpacked other than who you met on the trail. No Whiteblaze, no "hiking community", no Backpacker magazine :) (just threw that one in there to see if you're awake hee hee) so it was all "figure it out on your own." If you planned far enough ahead, it took weeks to get even a simple map in the mail, so we didn't even use maps, just knew ahead of time where the dropoff points were and approximate mileage. Gosh I'm writing like an old geezer but yet I'm only middle age!

Today everybody is so well informed, it's amazing. I don't remember much about people's attitudes; everybody I met was struggling with their equipment so badly they didn't have any extra energy to develop an attitude!

I remember seeing a fellow on the trail in the 70's with one of those hi-tech red NYLON backpacks (external frame, probably an early Kelty) and thinking "Wow, he's really cutting edge!" We used army-duck canvas backpacks and jeans as standard equipment and all cooking was done on wood fires. When you got home the heavy smoke smell covered up any body odor!

RockyTrail
01-19-2006, 00:58
my daughter is a good example, will not accept a B on the grade report, already taking college level classes as a junior in high school, hell bent on an ivy league school........i think the kids are more driven these days to compete in everything

I'm sure you realize this isn't her fault...you have to take AP classes today or you won't make it into top level schools. When I was in school a 4.0 would get you into anywhere, today that's no big deal, many top schools want 4.25 or more which you can only get by taking AP courses. I wish it wasn't so, I think kids are driven to exhaustion these days. I hope she makes it wherever she wants to go :sun

wyclif
01-19-2006, 02:21
In reference to Andrew Skurka:

Hello,

...this guy who averaged 23 miles a day and saw the trail as no fun. Of course it was no fun. He didn't allow himself the time to rest, or just to experience the moment. He did the trail in 95 days. That's 3 months!! I bet he didn't do any side trails..just head up and full speed ahead!

DavidNH

I'm reading a lot of generalisations on this thread about the relative age of hikers and how it affects attitudes on the trail.

I think generalising that only younger people have the "speed-hiking" and "let's kill this mountain" attitude is grossly over simplistic. Both older and younger people I've met seem to regard AT hiking as a sport or a tick on some personal accomplishment checklist while they race to Katahdin while barely stopping to smell the roses.

I've seen just as many young people take their time (and $$$) thru-hiking while they enjoy every last hostel, town, General Store, and supermarket remotely near the AT:

http://www.maine2georgia.com/
http://www.trailjournals.com/lisaandkeith/

I don't think I could afford that sort of hike. I'd rather resupply and get to a P.O. and then get back on the trail and stealth somewhere if I have to than stay in hotels half the time.

Programbo
01-20-2006, 19:47
My first backpacking trip was in '71 or '72...the equipment was much more haphazard then, but the main difference I see is communication. We didn't hardly know anyone else that backpacked other than who you met on the trail. No Whiteblaze, no "hiking community", no Backpacker magazine....... I don't remember much about people's attitudes; everybody I met was struggling with their equipment so badly they didn't have any extra energy to develop an attitude!......I remember seeing a fellow on the trail in the 70's with one of those hi-tech red NYLON backpacks (external frame, probably an early Kelty) and thinking "Wow, he's really cutting edge!" We used army-duck canvas backpacks and jeans as standard equipment and all cooking was done on wood fires. When you got home the heavy smoke smell covered up any body odor!

It wasn`t THAT bad :) in general although maybe you had those misfortunes..I know I did on my first few hikes..I had a cool red,white and blue american flag external frame with NO hip belt and one of those big rectangular cloth covered sleeping bags and a single wall 5x7 pup tent my first trip out..But I progressed quickly as I lived near 2 large backpacking shops..I had one of those nice green Kelty Tioga packs which aside from the shoulder straps and hip belt was a nice pack..Almost indestructible..But even in the very early 70`s I had a nice white gas stove to cook on and a light weight goose down bag (I think I paid $150 for it even in 1972)..The only ones I recall struggling with equipment were those uninformed hikers you mention who suffered from that lack of info..Like you said there was no internet or magazines and if you lived in the city finding other hikers or even a nice shop that knew anything was few and far between...I`ll still take a high quality external frame over an internal frame for open trial hiking any day