PDA

View Full Version : Clingman to Newfound

McFrancis
10-22-2016, 14:26
Due to a lack of water I have to planned some day hikes. So if I hike from Newfound gap to Clingmans Dome how do I get back down to my car without walking? Do I get a shuttle or try to bum a ride?

Slo-go'en
10-22-2016, 17:04
I'd bum a ride or walk. And what's so funny about that?

MuddyWaters
10-22-2016, 17:54
Getting ride would be easy. Id get the ride at start and walk back to vehicle.

A shuttle would be spendy for the 7.7 miles , someone would drive 50+

Really nothing I can recall to see in that part that make it worthy of the trouble of a day hike honestly. All you will do is listen to motorcycle sounds for much of it. You need to be at least 3-5 miles from road not to hear them and trucks going over nfg.

A better dayhike would be out and back to charlies bunion, or myriad of other park trails, which is why thats what people do.

McFrancis
10-22-2016, 18:40
Yep,going to do that too. Just filling a short section I have not hike in the park.

JC13
10-22-2016, 19:37
I hiked it beginning of the month but we hiked there and back. Plenty of people to yogi a ride from though.

FreeGoldRush
10-22-2016, 21:18
Really nothing I can recall to see in that part that make it worthy of the trouble of a day hike honestly.

A high altitude trail with few tourists sounds nice as I don't think many day hikers go between Newfoud Gap and Clingman's Dome. The walk out to Charlie's Bunion from Newfound Gap (headed away from Clingman's Dome) is cool too but that section of trail is badly eroded and loaded with tourists. It's crazy how popular the Smokies have become. 30 years ago I recall it being a different experience.