PDA

View Full Version : SW Virginia winter hike

LittleMartin
10-23-2016, 11:36
I'm contemplating hiking a short section between Christmas and New Year's. I'd be starting in Damascus and ending I'm not sure, maybe Sugar Grove. Has anyone hiked this section during the winter? I definitely need a warmer bag. Mine is only 30 degrees. The coldest I've hiked was over Thanksgiving in the Hot Springs area. Any advice or experience on this? Been looking at bags for a while. Any suggestions that don't cost over $300? Thanks all.

Slo-go'en
10-23-2016, 11:48
I bought a 20* REI down bag for $180 not too long ago (but that might have been a sale price) which I'm happy with. You just need to shop around.

Hard telling what kind of weather to expect there this year.

The Solemates
10-24-2016, 09:57
possibility for snow and nasty weather below 0, possibility for 50 degree days. be prepared either way. 30 deg bag is not enough.

Studlintsean
10-24-2016, 22:52
I hiked Damascus to Grayson Highlands a few years ago the week between Christmas and New Years and had temperatures around 20 degrees at night. I hiked south and stayed along the creek heading into Damascus just after the last shelter and it felt damn cold. I would certainly recommend a true 20 degree bag. Daytime temperatures were In the 30s and I didn't get into the real cold stuff through Grayson Highlands. Small chance I might actually be backpacking in the area also that week (wife is from Abingdon).

egilbe
10-24-2016, 23:25
Add a synthetic over-quilt to your current bag. Should get you down to 10 or so.

brotheral
10-25-2016, 08:26
If it wasn't going down below 20, I'd carry a true 30 degree bag and bring along some merino wool or polar fleece layers. Unless you just want to add another bag to your gear. I've slept like this comfortably in my Western Mountaineering Megalite 30*!

LittleMartin
10-25-2016, 08:53
Thanks all. I figure it'll be a crap shoot. The quilt idea might save some cash. What about a pad? I have a women's Therma-rest ProLite. Not the warmest.

Ktaadn
10-25-2016, 10:57
I hiked a loop using the Iron Mountain Trail and the AT north of Damascus a few winters ago. We experienced rain, high winds, sleet, snow, and hail. Just check the weather before you leave and pack appropriately.