PDA

View Full Version : movies ??

penny b
10-23-2016, 19:40
I have seen the movie " wild " with Reece Witherspoon hiking the trail from Mexico to canada ... Are there any movies out there about hiking the AT ?

andsoshewalks
10-23-2016, 20:08
i think there is a movie based off the book "a walk in the woods"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
10-23-2016, 20:15
flip flop flippin
flip flop flippin 2
flip flop flipped

southbounders
a walk in the woods
Jesters new movie - Thru Story

H I T C H
10-23-2016, 20:16
There is an older PBS documentary (full length) that can be found on YouTube.
There are also a few offerings for rent on Amazon Prime.

Sarcasm the elf
10-23-2016, 20:26
Has anyone seen "The Long Start to The Journey," (http://The Long Start to The Journey,") I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

I recommend the three Flip Flop Flippin movies that MuddyWaters mentions above. All are available at squatchfilms.com

Jester is currently in the middle of editing his A.T. Movie. He has already done movies on the PCT and CDT that were excellent. He can be found at http://www.tbwproductions.com

Here is the first trailer he released:

http://youtu.be/pvRH6kg84wE

rafe
10-23-2016, 20:42
Has anyone seen "The Long Start to The Journey," (http://The Long Start to The Journey,") I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Yes. It's awesome. A pre-release version was shown at the ALDHA Gathering in Williamstown MA, 2014. I've since bought the DVD and watched it again. The cinematography and the story line are top notch.

dudeijuststarted
10-23-2016, 20:51
Squatch's "Flip Flop Flippin" series captures the experience pretty darn well.

Bronk
10-24-2016, 09:32
Several elements of the movie "Wild" really resonated with me in regards to my thru hike attempt on the AT.

--the fact that she was packing up all of her gear for the first time in her hotel room right before she got on the trail. So many people get on the trail having never backpacked before and therefore never having tried out their gear. Later in the movie we see that she has never used her stove before the first time she tries to cook with it. Its also funny to watch her try to put her heavy pack on...so many start out overloaded.

--the first day she is huffing and puffing her way up the trail saying "F---! F---! F---!" Yep, she's out of shape and has never hiked before. Especially not with a pack. What the hell has she got herself into? Many express this sentiment early on.

--at Kennedy Meadows when the guy helps her go through her pack to try to lighten the load. This is so typical.

--bad @ss experienced hikers that get off the trail and you as the newbie are still there. So many "experienced" hikers think they have such an advantage over you, but after a few hundred miles you find out they are getting off the trail and you are continuing on.

To me these parts captured what new hikers really go through in such an authentic way.

Lear
10-24-2016, 11:09
I went to Warren Doyle's Appalachia Trail INstitute's three day class last year and he had a couple thru hike videos you won't find anywhere else.

Maybe look up the ATI online and go to Damascus if you are extremely curious. He has a few other things like all books written on topic and many old trail journals and some gear and books for sale, as well as a bunkhouse.

Hangfire
10-25-2016, 00:09
Just watch "The Revenant"...closest thing to an actual thru-hike movie that I have ever seen.

rafe
10-25-2016, 08:13
To me these parts captured what new hikers really go through in such an authentic way.

I think the point of the story (Wild) is that she was hideously unprepared, not to mention under-funded. And yet she wised up, over time.

On my attempted thru I met a group out on the first night, at Stover Creek shelter, unboxing and firing up their Whisperlite stoves for the very first time. I was amazed. They were still hiking in May, I met them again at Trail Days.

DuneElliot
10-25-2016, 08:30
Cheryl didn't hike from Mexico to Canada, just started at Mojave and finished at Cascade Locks. I know that wasn't the point of the post, but just want to be accurate.

I enjoyed Wild as a movie. I wasn't backpacking at the time and thought "that doesn't look like fun, why would anyone try it?" Then of course a couple of years later I got into backpacking (not because of the movie but because someone gave me some used gear) and now the PCT looks more appealing than it used to.