PDA

View Full Version : MD/Southern PA

tagg
10-24-2016, 14:49
My next section will be from just south of Harpers Ferry to a little north of the Boiling Springs/Carlisle area. Considering weather and crowds, what time of year would you recommend for this trip? I was thinking the beginning of June, but can be flexible and pretty much go anytime.

JLorenzo77
10-24-2016, 15:16
My next section will be from just south of Harpers Ferry to a little north of the Boiling Springs/Carlisle area. Considering weather and crowds, what time of year would you recommend for this trip? I was thinking the beginning of June, but can be flexible and pretty much go anytime.

Personally, I would avoid the summer months and do it either in the spring or fall. I live in Maryland and it can get quite crowded/hot at that time of year. Certainly nothing wrong with doing it in the summer, but I think that section is beautiful in the fall, in my opinion.

H I T C H
10-24-2016, 15:25
Are you trying to time it out so that you can avoid the majority of thru hikers or the opposite ; you want to be with lots of folks ?

Honestly if the temps are mild like they are this year then this is a great time to go b/c all the leaves are changing and the scenery is beautiful.

We have only had one night in the 30's so far this month.

dudeijuststarted
10-24-2016, 15:34

Do it in the fall and if you live close enough, under clear skies and a full moon. Boiling Springs to Duncannon is an amazing walk through farm lands and it is an incredibly beautiful night hike.

tagg
10-24-2016, 16:28
Are you trying to time it out so that you can avoid the majority of thru hikers or the opposite ; you want to be with lots of folks ?

Honestly if the temps are mild like they are this year then this is a great time to go b/c all the leaves are changing and the scenery is beautiful.

We have only had one night in the 30's so far this month.

I'm not overly concerned with crowds, but would rather not be in the middle of a large bubble if I can help it. I realize the crowd will have thinned somewhat by the end of Virginia, anyways. I guess I was thinking more about weather. I just did the 160 miles or so south of this section a couple of weeks ago, and while fall in SNP was great, I think I'd rather go back out in warmer weather so I can carry less clothing and other gear to keep my pack weight down. I was thinking it might not be "too" hot yet in early June up there - just don't know if the trees will have leafed out yet and if it will be that lovely part of spring where it is pleasant during the day and still a little cool at night.

H I T C H
10-24-2016, 18:15
The second and third week of April would be above freezing at night (typically) and no higher than low 80s during the day. By late April /early May you can see 90s during the day.

Malto
10-24-2016, 18:23
I would do spring or fall. Just did a trail run north of Duncannon yesterday. Drop dead gorgeous weather and with a few leaves fallen the views are better than summer.

Sandy of PA
10-24-2016, 19:21
Any time after Memorial Day but before the end of June for the best weather in spring, otherwise September. I have done this section 3 times already, twice in spring and once in fall. Always wonderful!

Kaptainkriz
10-24-2016, 19:50
Maryalnd heat and humidity is just starting to ramp up in June, but the nights are still generally cool. Although I prefer Fall in Maryland, I'd not hesitate in June. July-mid Sep it's ugly oppressive hot.

Kaptainkriz
10-24-2016, 19:57
I like Maryland in June. Here is a cheesy video of us in the Devil's Racecourse area. You might get an idea of leafage and flowerage from this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0tWU3gVnfg

ki0eh
10-24-2016, 21:46
Beginning of June pretty much is the beginning of the NOBO thru bubble. Very noticeable at the Foundry Day festival (juried crafts with polite interest, and jammed food trucks) that always coincides with National Trails Day (1st Sat of June) in Boiling Springs.