PDA

View Full Version : All Katahdin Trails closed 10/24/16

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2016, 15:20
Last officially allowed hiker went up yesterday.

swisscross
10-25-2016, 16:24
Wonder how many people did not finish their thru?

Venchka
10-25-2016, 16:41
The internet gospel says that The Mountain closes on October 15. This year folks had an extra 10 days.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egilbe
10-25-2016, 16:48
Most people have sense enough to flip up to Katahdin when it gets close. Seen allot do that this year when there was no water down south.

TJ aka Teej
10-25-2016, 17:51
The internet gospel says that The Mountain closes on October 15.
That was the old date for the end of the overnight camping season, never had anything to do with the mountain "closing."
For several years now BSP has extended the overnight camping season in certain campgrounds to next the Saturday after the 15th, which was the 22nd this year.
As far as rangers closing trails up Katahdin, it's happened as early as September and as late as mid-November in recent years.

LuckyMan
10-25-2016, 20:26
I met a nobo hiker more than a week ago in North Woodstock NH and another in early October on Mt Madison; both said that it was a myth Katahdin "closed" on October 15 or 24; both hoped to hire a private canoe ferry across the kennebec and summit Katahdin this year.

rafe
10-25-2016, 20:34
The photos from facebox look like serious winter at the top of K today. A foot of snow, an inch of ice, temps in the single digits, socked in with gale winds to boot. Fun!

tdoczi
10-25-2016, 21:12
I met a nobo hiker more than a week ago in North Woodstock NH and another in early October on Mt Madison; both said that it was a myth Katahdin "closed" on October 15 or 24; both hoped to hire a private canoe ferry across the kennebec and summit Katahdin this year.

met a nobo once in VT(a day or so from NH)the last weekend of september once. asked him if he was planning on flipping,if he thought hed make it in time if he kept going north,etc. seemed to have no clue nor any concern of what i was getting at.