PDA

View Full Version : Song in my head

Moxie00
01-14-2006, 00:49
:-? When I'm long distance hiking, for no reason I can understand, an old song will start working my mind. When I was on the AT "Erie Canal" an old folk song by Ed Ames or Bearl Ives started working on my brain and I would humm it all day when alone. I hadn't heard it for 30 years but I couldn't get it out of my mind. In real bad weather "The City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie seemed to keep my spirits up. This is not the music I listen to at home or in my car but on the trail alone these two songs just stay with me. I am just wondering if any of my fellow hikers experience this strange mind trip. (I carry a Sony but never listen to it while hiking because I love to listen to the woods)

aaronthebugbuffet
01-14-2006, 02:54
along that same line what are some songs that have popped in your head on a long day of hiking that drive you crazy? one that i can think of was a really long day in the Smokey Mtns and a Spice Girls song ran through my head for 12 hrs. They had just hit it big on the radio and you couldnt go anywhere without hearing them. I must've heard them on the way to the hike. To make it worse I only knew one line from the song that was being played on a loop in my head all day. no matter what I tried I couldn't shake them. I wanted to bash myself in the head with a rock.

Cloudwalker
01-14-2006, 03:32
The peanut butter jelly song by the buck wheat boys got stuck in my head a couple of nights ago. I thought my wife was going to divorce me.

Tabasco
01-14-2006, 09:00
Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day. Listen to the words..."I walk alone"

Shiraz-mataz
01-14-2006, 09:00
Sometimes that James Taylor song, "Carolina in my Mind" will work its way into my head. Having been born and raised in South Carolina that song is special to me and is always welcome on the mental playlist. :)

Squeaky 2
01-14-2006, 09:23
hahahaha oh f--k did this cause me problems. i get songs stuck in my head for days!!! .......ive got friends in low places where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away......... for 4 days!!! chers its in his kiss ........what the f--k is happening to me!

but the song that did inspire me and i would sing at the top of my voice during storms was 'you'll never walk alone' by jerry and the pace makers.

there were many and all would get tedious after a while!

Skyline
01-14-2006, 10:14
I've had the theme from "Rent," ("Seasons of Love") stuck in my head for days and I'm outta here soon to hike. Fortunately, it's the high-energy remix so it should help me move along!

stupe
01-14-2006, 15:23
There's another thread on this subject entitled "earworms" I think. I use the term "Manilow syndrome" to describe the phenomenon.
I have to leave the premises when I hear any songs by Abba. Abba can last a week in my head.

Mouse
01-14-2006, 15:35
I loved earworms. Self-contained, no weight Walkman! :banana

bbanker
01-14-2006, 15:57
Kung-Fu Fighting... or is that technically three... either way it is a horrible song to have stuck in your head for 48 or so hours.

Topcat
01-14-2006, 19:06
Rocky Mountain High is the song that i hear in my head when hiking, even if im not in Colorado

Kerosene
01-14-2006, 19:21
I loved earworms. Self-contained, no weight Walkman! ...set on infinite repeat. :(

Kerosene
01-14-2006, 19:23
Here is the prior thread that I started on earworms. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2695)

mindi
01-16-2006, 23:20
I loved reading that earworm thread. I am very susceptible to earworms for some reason, and I will get awful songs stuck in my head for days. The worst is when you get part of a song and you don't know the rest of it..so it just repeats the same part over and over. This past week I had that song that has the line 'life's like an hourglass glued to the table' stuck in my head for 3 solid days, and I only knew a part of it. It drove me crazy. They play a lot of crap where I work and I'm always coming home with something awful going through my mind while I try to get to sleep! (The worst was a few months ago when we had 'western week'.) I'm hoping I can force some good ones in there when I hike the AT next year.

dizzyT
01-16-2006, 23:23
I am deaf.....all songs are in my head.......some voices too. j/k

RockyTrail
01-17-2006, 17:00
Here's my all-time hiking tune that always gets stuck in my head, it's called "Whiskey Before Breakfast" or WBB since I don't drink the stuff! I don't know why, but can "listen" to this tune for hours and hours, no electronics required. There's lots of different versions out there, but here's one for example:

http://ezfolk.com/audio/play.php?band_id=199&song_id=1853&mode=song_hifi

To each his own, hope you enjoy it...:sun

nyushka42
01-17-2006, 17:20
Heehee... currently have "Counting Flowers on the Wall..." probably since I've been sitting in my office all day... I'm sure the soundtrack will change once I get out there.

namelesslass
01-23-2006, 19:55
:-? When I'm long distance hiking, for no reason I can understand, an old song will start working my mind. When I was on the AT "Erie Canal" an old folk song by Ed Ames or Bearl Ives started working on my brain and I would humm it all day when alone. I hadn't heard it for 30 years but I couldn't get it out of my mind. In real bad weather "The City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie seemed to keep my spirits up. This is not the music I listen to at home or in my car but on the trail alone these two songs just stay with me. I am just wondering if any of my fellow hikers experience this strange mind trip. (I carry a Sony but never listen to it while hiking because I love to listen to the woods)
Oh, great, now I have Erie Canal playing in my head over and over and over. (I gotta mule her name is Sal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal. She's a good ole worker and a good ole pal, 15 miles on the Erie Canal.... )

I've always, always got some song playing on the stereo system in my mind. Among the worst: Spiderman, Spiderman, does whatever a spider can (this one happens a lot in the summer when constantly walking through spider webs). Then there's The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music complete with orchestra and visuals of Julie Andrews spinning around on top of an alp.

I kind of like it when I get Here Comes the Sun stuck in my head 'cause it's such a cheery little tune, but I can't ever remember all the words.

Does it bug anybody else when you get a song in your head and you can't remember all the words?

Alison :)

DMA, 2000
01-24-2006, 02:21
Try to get Allister Moock in your head. "Walking to the end of the world" and "A Life I Never Had" are both nicely applicable to trail life.

Disney
01-24-2006, 18:04
At the moment
Take on Me by Aha (I'll be gone in a day or two)
When hiking and a big branch snaps or some huge rustling, Blue Bayou jumps in.
At the beginning of the day, On my Way by Phil Collins, I think probably the best song about hiking ever to come from outside the hiking community. If you haven't heard it, you ought to give it 3 minutes.

TACKLE
01-24-2006, 22:55
Everybody has a song in their heads while hiking.When I was asked what mine was I told them Jinglebell Rock.SWEETOOTH then told me "dude if that song was in my head all day,I'd get off the trail!".Then the next day I saw him he was cursing me out because he could'nt get it out of his head.

UCONNMike
01-24-2006, 23:04
I sang a whole lot on the trail (for better or worse) but one song that we sang all the time was some dumb song that one of the crew in Lake of the Clouds Hut....it was horrible, but we sang it all the time.

"uh huh....shay hey" (repeat this like a thousand times) that was the song.

but we always sang Bohemian Rapsody whenever it rained, and In My Life by the Beatles was another one that we sang alot while hiking.

wyclif
01-25-2006, 00:27
If you go down in the streets today, baby, you better,
you better open your eyes.
Folk down there really don't care, really don't care, don't care , really don't , which, which way the pressure lies,
so I've decided what I'm gonna do now.
So I'm packing my bags for the Misty Mountains
where the spirits go now,
over the hills where the spirits fly.
I really don't know.

--Led Zeppelin, Misty Mountain Hop

RITBlake
01-25-2006, 04:15
the theme to last of the mohicans theme was my all time favorite mp3 to listen to on the trail. It got me pumped up every time. Its just a great song

wyclif
01-25-2006, 21:16
the theme to last of the mohicans theme was my all time favorite mp3 to listen to on the trail. It got me pumped up every time. Its just a great song

That is a great song. The movie is awesome as well...it looked a lot like it was filmed along the AT to me.

RITBlake
01-26-2006, 18:03
That is a great song. The movie is awesome as well...it looked a lot like it was filmed along the AT to me.

Yah Keith Haynie, aka the Hayniac knew where a bunch of it was filmed. Some in NC some in Georgia me thinks

RITBlake
01-26-2006, 18:05
I sang a whole lot on the trail (for better or worse) but one song that we sang all the time was some dumb song that one of the crew in Lake of the Clouds Hut....it was horrible, but we sang it all the time.

"uh huh....shay hey" (repeat this like a thousand times) that was the song.

but we always sang Bohemian Rapsody whenever it rained, and In My Life by the Beatles was another one that we sang alot while hiking.

uh huh, shay hay was arguably the worst song on the entire appalachian trail, not just in 2005, but since, well forever.

dizzyT
01-26-2006, 18:09
Surely someone sings Smokey Mountain Rain. D'oh.....now I'm singing it

RockyTrail
01-26-2006, 18:12

Mohicans was filmed at Chimney Rock NC, 25 miles to the SE of Asheville.

CaptChaos
01-26-2006, 21:18
Well, when I overload my pack and only get to go to the Smokies once a year for a three day weekend and I have almost run out of water and I still have a way to go before I get to the shelter I always get the following tune in my head:

"Welcome to my nightmare" by Alice Cooper

Now that I think about it, maybe I need help!

Littlest Hobo
11-07-2006, 17:25
Invariably whenever I'm out hiking the theme song to the "Littlest Hobo" tv show pops into my head. Classic bit '70s Canadian kitzch about a German Shepherd roaming from town to town helping strangers out with their problems - think "Murder She Wrote", except with a dog

There's a world, that's waiting to unfold,
a brand new tale, no one has ever told,
we've journey'd far but, you know it won't be long,
we're almost there and we've paid our fare, with the hobo song.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,
until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

So if you wanna join me for a while,
just grab your hat, come travel light,
that's hobo style.

Maybe tomorrow I'll find what I call home,
until tomorrow, you know I'm free to roam.

rockrat
11-07-2006, 18:36
I get one of four stuck in my head:

Gin and Juice by the Gourds

B****es ain't ***** (the Ben Folds version)

Carolina on my Mind and Something in the Way She Moves by James Taylor

WILLIAM HAYES
11-07-2006, 19:22
Moxie I have had the same experience. I think on bad days your brain goes on auto pilot as a way to help you not focus on the pain you have, the distance you think you have to make, the weather (I had five days of rain one time)etc
For some reason "Rocking Robin" was a song that popped into my mind during these times-weird but I guess we all have our own ways of coping. Hillbilly:sun

LeeF
11-07-2006, 20:17
Man, I feel even worse now. All I ever hear is Copperhead Road by Steve Earle.

wilderness bob
11-07-2006, 20:42
For weeks in Virginia. The theme tune from "The Quiet Man", with John Wayne and Maureen O'Harra. No words, just that Irish up beat tune. I swear I was hiking 3(+)mph all day long. It wore my butt out.

bigcranky
11-07-2006, 20:44
I get lots of Steve Earle stuck in my head on hikes. Hmmmm, there must be a diagnosis in there somewhere.

My best hill-climbing song is the flying monkeys music from Wizard of Oz. The rhythm is just right.

Boat Drinks
11-07-2006, 20:54
Does anyone else kinda "breathe" the song? What I mean is this; When your breath starts to quicken and deepen, as when you're climbing uphill, The song that is currently stuck in my head will start to come out in my exhalations, so I not only hear it, but I breath it. I think it actually helps me expel more CO2, and avoid lactic acid build up... I also did this when I was playing soccer... weird....

Jim Adams
11-07-2006, 21:05
yes the breathing thing happens but usually at the beginning of the hike when I'm not yet in shape arobicly.
Godzilla and StrangleHold. Don't know why! Lasts for days at times.
geeek

Sandy B
11-07-2006, 21:31
For me some times it is not songs but old marching tunes, Picture a military band in your home town, marchine and playing a Susia (john phillips type)tune. Those are on replay in my head, as I 'march' slowley up hills. Or only a few words of a song will come up over and over and over. Stuff I really could not tell you when the last time I have heard.

The price of happyness
Sandy B

saimyoji
11-07-2006, 21:38
There's a hole in the bucket
dear liza dear liza
There's a hole in the bucket
dear liza a hole.......

.....and all 6,000 versus that follow.....

:eek::eek::eek:

StillPond
11-07-2006, 21:50
'riddin along in my automobile'

heh,heh

Jim Adams
11-07-2006, 21:57
10 years ago, Japanese gentleman, Nissan commercial-"dogs love trucks".

couldn't stop saying that in my head over and over for 17 miles! looong day.
geek

Webs
11-07-2006, 23:24
do you know the muffin man, the muffin man, the muffin man....
sometimes for variety, i could add in the quotes that followed from the movie shrek:rolleyes:

neo
11-07-2006, 23:50

:D happens to me all the time

neo

Wanderingson
11-08-2006, 03:34
I now have "Waltzing Matilda" stuck in my head. This song pops into my head and I begin to whistle it out load. Drives my wife absolutely batty.

LeeF
11-09-2006, 10:12
Here's one to get trapped inside your head or even better yet sing aloud at road crossings, "I'm free, free balling" sung to the tune of Free Falling by Tom Petty.

woodsy
11-09-2006, 10:19
"It's a beautiful day" by U2, plug it into the cd player on the way to the trail,
stays with me for the duration, a positive tune for a sunny day .

Dancer
11-09-2006, 10:40
I think it's the metal fillings in our teeth picking up very faint radiowaves :D. Sometimes I swear I can sing all the words to a song I didn't think I knew all the words to. Unlikely but possible........hhhmmmmm.

;)

Michele
11-09-2006, 10:47
3 songs loop in my head (starting from worst to best):

1. Theme to Hawaii 5-0 (it doesn't even HAVE words!!)
2. Fields of Gold by Sting (only bad because I don't know all the words)
3. Stand by me (when the night....has come....and the land is dark...) oops..there it goes again.. I love to karaoke w/this one.