PDA

View Full Version : Trail Dayz

Fireplug
10-25-2016, 20:40
How many hikers are shuttling up to, or back to Trail Dayz. Or are some people not interested in the event. I won't be going thru Damascus at that time. I'll be farther up the trail. Just wondering who is shuttling in to Damascus??

The Cleaner
10-25-2016, 23:04
I'd be more concerned about getting at least to Hot Springs before I'd start thinking about trail days.Once past there you will find hikers with plans or rides to and from Damascus.If next year is as overcrowded as this year was you may want to keep on hiking than trying to get back to a big party where lots of hikers party hard then head home.A few late spring snowstorms may give you an attitude adjustment that may affect your plans.

Fireplug
10-25-2016, 23:25
I'm good with the weather was just wondering if people were doing what I mentioned. Me I don't think I'm going. I'm not out there to party. I'm out there for the adventure of a lifetime.

jjozgrunt
10-25-2016, 23:34
Thought about it but no. Can't be bothered I'll check out the photo's when they're up.

trailmercury
10-26-2016, 13:41
I will be attending. My wife and kids will be bringing our travel trailer to meet up with me and we have reserved a spot in town at Hayes RV park. They will pick me up wherever I am and we will head back to Damascus.

Not a huge party person either, but I want to experience it this once.

Sidetrail
10-27-2016, 13:43
I'll be going. Should only be 60 miles north of Damascus by that time so no big deal coming down for the day. Just want to experience it. I saw of list of "Top 10" traditions on the AT and this was one of them. I think I'll do 9 out of 10 as I don't plan to hike naked!

trailmercury
10-27-2016, 14:20
I'll be going. Should only be 60 miles north of Damascus by that time so no big deal coming down for the day. Just want to experience it. I saw of list of "Top 10" traditions on the AT and this was one of them. I think I'll do 9 out of 10 as I don't plan to hike naked!
I won't be hiking naked either!
If we are in the vicinity of you we could probably give you a ride...I'm starting April 3rd and shooting for a 4 1/2 to 5 month pace but I haven't exactly calculated where that will put me yet.
Just curious what are the other 8 "traditions"

Venchka
10-27-2016, 14:42
I might be in the neighborhood. I found the 2016. When will the 2017 dates be published? I don't want to be around Damascus then.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattjv89
10-27-2016, 14:49
There's a lot more to do at Trail Days than party if that isn't your inclination. Speakers, workshops, live music, hiker feeds, the hiker parade, tons of vendors and big discounts on a lot of gear. Just avoid the woods at Tent City and the "Trail Daze" night life events and you'll hardly see any of it. There's a big police presence in town to keep a lid on things, and if it were really that bad thousands of parents wouldn't bring their children each year.

trailmercury
10-27-2016, 14:54
I might be in the neighborhood. I found the 2016. When will the 2017 dates be published? I don't want to be around Damascus then.
Wayne

weekend after Mother's day

KDogg
10-27-2016, 15:37
Don't miss it. I never did go into the woods to party. Matt is correct that there is so much more to do there than that. I got two articles of clothing repaired. I took free showers, got my clothes laundered for me and had coffee and snacks while I was doing all this...and every bit for free! Princeton Tec swapped out my low lumen headlamp with an upgraded version of theirs...for free. I ate three dinners cooked by the folks from Four Pines..for free. However, I didn't get away from trail days without spending any money. I bought a duplex from Z-packs at a discount and replaced my sleeping pad for a Klymit one. Oh...and I hiked in the parade while the locals sprayed us down with water guns. Again...don't miss it. Was a fun three days and it was good to take a few days break from the trail. Not sure why there are so many curmudgeons on hand when it comes to discussing this event.

Greenlight
10-27-2016, 16:12
I'll be section hiking with a group and end the trip with Trail Days. Can't thru hike this year, but I'm doing at least 50 and joining the crowd. I, too, want the whole experience and hence I will be hiking naked on naked hike day. Or night. I'll hike naked in the dark.

The Roaming Gnome
10-27-2016, 16:48
I would like to take a zero or two there. My start date is March 13th and TD is May 14th. I think I'll too far north to come back south.

The Roaming Gnome
10-27-2016, 16:55

If you are modest you can always go "Comando" in a rain kilt. BTW, my wife came home while I was trying on the rain kilt and said "good god, what the hell are you wearing?" A rain kilt! was my reply. That looks like a skirt, she said. It didn't help my cause when I asked her to help unzip me since the zipper was in the back!

trailmercury
10-27-2016, 17:28
If you are modest you can always go "Comando" in a rain kilt. BTW, my wife came home while I was trying on the rain kilt and said "good god, what the hell are you wearing?" A rain kilt! was my reply. That looks like a skirt, she said. It didn't help my cause when I asked her to help unzip me since the zipper was in the back!
Funny....
My wife reacted similarly!
I have the Zpacks rain kilt and wear it with the zipper in front, easier to adjust for long striding on hills and for Gnome's reason above, easier to remove without help.
I would not like the feel of Cuben next to bare skin!

FiftyNine
10-27-2016, 21:02
When is trail days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Martzy13
10-27-2016, 21:27
I'm just gonna play it by ear, if I make some good friends that want to go and I deem it fiscally feasible, then I'll attend. Otherwise, I'll use it as a chance to put in some quiet miles.

The Roaming Gnome
10-28-2016, 09:18
When is trail days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It begins May 14th

jekerdud
11-09-2016, 09:13
I'm with Roaming Gnome - I might be too far north by that time. Doesn't mean I can't pop down to Damascus for it another year, however.

Soggybottom
11-29-2016, 11:52
I'm with Roaming Gnome - I might be too far north by that time. Doesn't mean I can't pop down to Damascus for it another year, however.

Let me know if you want to go. I was thinking about driving down. I live in Waynesboro Pa. I am about 3 miles from the mason Dixon trailhead. Soggy. 717-331-8827

coyote9
11-29-2016, 13:02
Gnome,

From what Ive been told by several alumni is that there are free rides and even signs posting them south and north of Damascus. It is said to be 'easy to get to trail days no matter where you are on the trail.'

I start 4 March so Ill be north of you possibly and I plan to go. I dont want to regret not going.

jekerdud
11-30-2016, 01:06
Let me know if you want to go. I was thinking about driving down. I live in Waynesboro Pa. I am about 3 miles from the mason Dixon trailhead. Soggy. 717-331-8827

Thanks man, I have saved your number for later just in case. My brother is hiking with me (although we have an agreement, not hike together all the time, but motivate each other to make it the whole way, but summit together), cool for 2 people for the ride? Both of us are PA natives, we live in Pittsburgh, at least before the hike...

Deadeye
11-30-2016, 09:18
when my time comes, I'll be sure to miss this party. No interest whatsoever.

Guyler
11-30-2016, 11:40
I imagine there is a big bubble as trail days ends for people hiking north, true?

Sandy of PA
11-30-2016, 12:40
There was in 2012, with hiker feeds one week of walking apart, the next 2 weekends that kept it together. That was when I learned to "stealth" camp.

Soggybottom
11-30-2016, 15:59
Thanks man, I have saved your number for later just in case. My brother is hiking with me (although we have an agreement, not hike together all the time, but motivate each other to make it the whole way, but summit together), cool for 2 people for the ride? Both of us are PA natives, we live in Pittsburgh, at least before the hike...

Sure got a sportrac Ford. Plenty of room.

llittle_llama
01-03-2017, 03:15
I'll be attending, but will have to find a way to get there as I'll be way past Damascus by the time it starts.

Soggybottom
01-03-2017, 22:59
I will be headed there from the mason Dixon line in Waynesboro, Pa. if you need a ride let me know.

coyote9
01-04-2017, 01:46
I'll be attending, but will have to find a way to get there as I'll be way past Damascus by the time it starts.
Same here. I should be somewhere in PA.

llittle_llama
01-04-2017, 02:19
Sounds great!