PDA

View Full Version : Atkins - Damascus

10-K
10-26-2016, 10:05
I'll be hiking the section between Groseclose - Damascus this Thursday -Sunday - hope to see some of you. :)

Roamin
10-26-2016, 11:19
Have a great hike; the weather should be wonderful!

hikernutcasey
10-26-2016, 12:02
I'll be hiking the section between Groseclose - Damascus this Thursday -Sunday - hope to see some of you. :)10-K, when you return how about posting a water report? I'm looking at a 4 day trip a little further north from there next month and am getting a little concerned about the dry conditions. I'm in Northwest NC and it has been awfully dry here over the past few months with no rain in sight. Thanks in advance!

10-K
10-26-2016, 12:24
10-K, when you return how about posting a water report? I'm looking at a 4 day trip a little further north from there next month and am getting a little concerned about the dry conditions. I'm in Northwest NC and it has been awfully dry here over the past few months with no rain in sight. Thanks in advance!

Happy to do it.

Seatbelt
10-26-2016, 12:40
10-K, when you return how about posting a water report? I'm looking at a 4 day trip a little further north from there next month and am getting a little concerned about the dry conditions. I'm in Northwest NC and it has been awfully dry here over the past few months with no rain in sight. Thanks in advance!

I plan to hike from Marion to Bland next month also.

hikernutcasey
10-26-2016, 13:56
I plan to hike from Marion to Bland next month also.Thanks Seatbelt, any news would be appreciated if you go before Thanksgiving as I'm headed out the Friday after turkey day.

Seatbelt
10-26-2016, 16:56
Thanks Seatbelt, any news would be appreciated if you go before Thanksgiving as I'm headed out the Friday after turkey day.

OK, I am going Nov 5-10. I'll post the water situation(and anything else unusual) when I return.

10-K
10-31-2016, 08:08
Just returned yesterday.

Water was plentiful between Atkins and Damascus. I never carried more than 1 quart and never had to go more than 10' off the trail for water (except for Partnership shelter where I walked over to the faucet).

hikernutcasey
10-31-2016, 08:58
Just returned yesterday.

Water was plentiful between Atkins and Damascus. I never carried more than 1 quart and never had to go more than 10' off the trail for water (except for Partnership shelter where I walked over to the faucet).That's good news. Thanks for the report.

Seatbelt
11-10-2016, 14:53
I just returned from Dickey Gap to Old Rich valley Farm Rd (VA610). Water is scarce now. Some water at Trimpi shelter, small trickle a mile south of Partnership, some north of Chatfield Shelter(small pools); only water between Atkins and 610 (beside the small creek, one mile north of Atkins) is at the southern base of Big Walker Mtn. All other springs, streams are dry. Some sobos I talked to have skipped the section between Atkins and Bland because of water supply. From what I hear, they have more of the same farther south.
PS: Some rain came on Wed, not sure how this may have helped.

10-K
11-11-2016, 06:28
Don't forget there's a faucet just a few yards off the trail when you walk by the Mt. Rodgers Visitors Center just before Partnership shelter. (hiking south).