PDA

View Full Version : How to choose trekking poles?

dcdennis
10-26-2016, 10:25
I'm a guy who loves his gear research. From what I can tell, aside from a few options (twist versus snap lock, aluminum vs carbon fiber, antishock or no), all trekking poles are basically the same. Am I missing something? Before I drop the dollars I want to be sure I'm not overlooking some crucial detail.

cmoulder
10-26-2016, 10:38
I'll save you some time: get these, Cascade Mountain Tech quick locks (https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Lock-Carbon-Fiber-Trekking/dp/B00XM0YGW8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1477492609&sr=1-1&keywords=cascade+mountain+tech+carbon+fiber+quick+ lock+trekking+poles)

:DBest bang for the buck in the Known and Unknown Universe

colorado_rob
10-26-2016, 10:40
As you said, so many choices, but really, there are significant differences in a lot of ways.

I much prefer aluminum over carbon, as I've busted two carbon poles, but never an aluminum one. I also prefer as light as possible; consider how many steps on, say, the AT? 5 million. If you pole every step that's, er, 5 million times you raise and set you pole. Light is right!

I find no use whatsoever for the shock thing, and I prefer as large a grip as possible. I don't use straps, so I like a larger grip. (now queue the dudes that say you HAVE to use the straps to use a pole "correctly")

I'm probably in the minority, but I also like a fixed length pole, having settled on pretty much always setting my older, adjustable poles to 130CM, I now use fixed length BD zpoles, they fold up into thirds for easy stowage (and airline travel) and are just the right length also for my zpacks tent support.

Just my 2 cents. Poles seem to be like boots on WB; everyone seems to have a completely different take on them, this is just mine, having used them for about 20 years now.

Sarcasm the elf
10-26-2016, 10:43
I like my $100 pair of Black Diamonds, but the differences between a $20 pair and a $100 pair is relatively minimal.

Flick-locks are definitely the better design in my experience.

I think the consensus is that the antishock features are a gimmick. I have two pairs of poles, one has them one doesn't, if For some reason I needed to buy a new set, I would buy one without the feature.

Rubber tips seem to also be another gimmick, the carbide tips are much more trustworthy in my experience.

Most expensive poles have 3 main handle options, rubber, cork, or dense foam. I like the dense foam the best, most people seem to prefer the cork, nobody seems to love the rubber ones.

I use aluminum and don't trust carbon fiber. I simply abuse my poles too much banging or rubbing them into things to trust anything short of metal. Someone will likely chime in to disagree with me on this and their opinions will probably be just as valid.

There are only minor differences between Leki and Black Diamond and both are top notch. Personally I prefer Black Diamon poles, so lkng as they are the standard or light strength models (stay away from their "ultralight" models). Leki supposedly has better customer service. I like to joke that Leki owners say "Lekis are great, when my poles broke the company fixed them for free." and Black Diamond owners say "Black Diamond poles are great, I have no idea how their customer service is because the poles never break." :rolleyes:

Lyle
10-26-2016, 10:50
Not all trekking poles are the same.

Check out PacerPoles. Very unique and VERY highly recommended. Been using them for well over a decade and will never go back to conventional poles.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

dcdennis
10-26-2016, 11:02
Not all trekking poles are the same.

Check out PacerPoles. Very unique and VERY highly recommended. Been using them for well over a decade and will never go back to conventional poles.

http://www.pacerpole.com/

do the pacerpoles still work as tent poles? I use a lightheart solong.

jeffmeh
10-26-2016, 11:04
My $.02, from my experience.

Flick-locks are superior to twist-locks, as they are much less likely to fail.

Anti-shock is useless at best, can be noisy, and is certainly not worth additional cost.

Regarding aluminum vs. carbon and breakage, I have broken both. Aluminum bends, while carbon shatters. I currently use carbon and have had them replaced for free after breaking, but if I were going to pay for a pair I would go for aluminum, as it is certainly more rugged.

I prefer cork handles, don't mind foam, but don't like rubber.

I also like Black Diamond, but not the Z poles, as they are too fragile. Leki makes a good product also, but I have not used them since a twist lock failed on a summit in the Whites.

swjohnsey
10-26-2016, 12:42
Another consideration is tip replacement. I went through several sets of tips.

Kookork
10-26-2016, 12:57
do the pacerpoles still work as tent poles? I use a lightheart solong.

I have Pacerpoles and lightheart SoLong 6. Short answer is they work but with asterisks.

The special grip design of PP is not the best to be used in a SoLong but still usable. More importantly the twist lock makes the adjustments to the height of pole ( which depending on weather is needed between zero to 3 times a night ) is a pain in the neck. For this sole reason I switched to snap lock while missing the great convenience of Pacerpole. If they design the PP with snap lock in the future I would go for PP again.

poolskaterx
10-26-2016, 13:39
Anti shock, meh: I have a set of carbon poles without and a pair of aluminum with; love the weight of the carbon and don't miss the antishock at all (rei brand) but they do have a catastrophic failure issue(ask me how I know) vs the aluminum that usually just bend. I like the flick lock style adjustment; My poles have flicks for the top section and twist for the lower sections... I try not to mess with the twists for adjustment because I have had them fail on me before. Adjustable height is nice if the length you use for hiking is different that what you might need for a shelter (dual use). Grips are debatable since everyone has their own preference; I use thin mtb gloves so really I cant feen the difference between my cork grips or my foam grips. I do know that I love the shape of the Leki pole grips over anything else I have used, but they are not very ul.

Deadeye
10-26-2016, 13:55
Tip design differs, too. Leki tips are cupped, and grip better IMHO than Komperdell tips. For my money, Lekis are my only choice.

Another Kevin
10-26-2016, 15:03
I'll add another ballot for lever locks, aluminium, cork grips, no shock absorbers.

Lyle
10-26-2016, 15:10
Yes, they work fine. I've used them with a Gossemer Gear "The One", with a SMD Wild Oasis, and now with my Z-Packs Solo Plus. No problems.

I have also NEVER had any problem with twist locks. I do exercise them every few days while in use, and clean them once a year or so.

Cheyou
10-26-2016, 15:40
The red ones are the fastest.

Thom

soumodeler
10-26-2016, 16:33
I started with a cheap pair and quickly found out I did not like the cheap plastic/rubber grip and the angle it was set at. I upgraded to the Leki Cork Lites and love them for the cork grips that are angled slightly forward.

I do think the flip lock is better than the twist, but not a deal breaker for me.

Anti shock is useless...

Odd Man Out
10-26-2016, 19:32
I have some BD alpine ergo cork. I have been told cork grips are susceptible to getting chewed by salt craving critters. I have not had this, but not been on a long distance hike. One thing that hasn't been brought up us the strap wuality. My BDs have awesome straps. The ate great poles, but are geavy, so I tried some Fizan compact poles. Aluminum twist locks, but very light. Clever locking device is inside the pole. I found I really liked the light weight.

cmoulder
10-26-2016, 19:51
It's hard to appreciate really light poles until you use them and go back to heavier ones...

Light poles really spoil ya! :D

I have some 4.3 oz myog CF poles that I've used quite a bit and are still holding up fine. (Elf has seen 'em.) I used my heavier poles (REI/Komperdell Powerlock CF) last weekend for a quick 3-day trip because I needed them to pitch my Duomid, and I really missed my light poles.

gbolt
10-26-2016, 20:01
I'll add another ballot for lever locks, aluminium, cork grips, no shock absorbers.

+1 but would add that many will bend and or break to save your butt and do their most important job. So I would add Customer Service to the List.

For me the Leki Corklite Trekking Poles were the ticket and I have not been disappointed.

MuddyWaters
10-26-2016, 20:59
I'm a guy who loves his gear research. From what I can tell, aside from a few options (twist versus snap lock, aluminum vs carbon fiber, antishock or no), all trekking poles are basically the same. Am I missing something? Before I drop the dollars I want to be sure I'm not overlooking some crucial detail.

Do you want them to collapse small? I like 3 piece because I collapse them and stick in side pockets on pack.

Do you need a certain length for a shelter? Sone are as short as 125 cm, others 145. Many shelters will require extender or rock if too short. Adjustable poles is always good for shelters, sometmes pitch high, sometimes lower for storm mode, flat vs non flat ground, etc.

Some vibrate more than others . Some people find annoying. Sone dont.

Some carbon is fragile. Al can be more robust

How important is weight?
How important is cost? Reliability?

Grip material preference?
Strap preference?

Twist or flicklock preference?

Avoid shock absorption gimmicks.

Only you can pick the right poles for you.

I like light, 12oz max, aluminum, adjustable 3 piece poles.
Not common, not sold in US

Puddlefish
10-27-2016, 18:08
My Cascade cheapo poles lasted about 550 miles, before a tip wore out. I very much liked them, fit comfortably in my hand, held my 200 lbs plus of weight securely. Only drawback is you have to order replacement tips (lower third section) online and they aren't sold along the trail.

I grabbed a pair of Leki poles at three times the price, because I wanted to get right back on the trail. The straps are this thin silky material that digs into my wrists, especially when wet. Not a fan. I don't notice the shock absorption properties whatsoever.

mainebob
10-27-2016, 20:13
I have used several brands and styles of poles, for the price you can not beat the Cascade mountain tech-c quick lock poles. Andrew Skurka has a great review http://andrewskurka.com/2015/cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-trekking-poles-review/ and long term review that addresses the tip replacement issue http://andrewskurka.com/2015/long-term-review-cascade-mountain-tech-quick-lock-poles/ I always liked cork grips but I have found I like the foam grips on these poles better. I also think the carbon are stronger, I have had them tolerate stress that I know would have bent or broken an aluminium pole.

saltysack
10-27-2016, 23:03
I like my $100 pair of Black Diamonds, but the differences between a $20 pair and a $100 pair is relatively minimal.

Flick-locks are definitely the better design in my experience.

I think the consensus is that the antishock features are a gimmick. I have two pairs of poles, one has them one doesn't, if For some reason I needed to buy a new set, I would buy one without the feature.

Rubber tips seem to also be another gimmick, the carbide tips are much more trustworthy in my experience.

Most expensive poles have 3 main handle options, rubber, cork, or dense foam. I like the dense foam the best, most people seem to prefer the cork, nobody seems to love the rubber ones.

I use aluminum and don't trust carbon fiber. I simply abuse my poles too much banging or rubbing them into things to trust anything short of metal. Someone will likely chime in to disagree with me on this and their opinions will probably be just as valid.

There are only minor differences between Leki and Black Diamond and both are top notch. Personally I prefer Black Diamon poles, so lkng as they are the standard or light strength models (stay away from their "ultralight" models). Leki supposedly has better customer service. I like to joke that Leki owners say "Lekis are great, when my poles broke the company fixed them for free." and Black Diamond owners say "Black Diamond poles are great, I have no idea how their customer service is because the poles never break." :rolleyes:

Well I'll know first hand BD customer service is GREAT! My first set as u warned against were the UL carbon zpoles...snapped after 2-3 uses....called BD they asked what my main use was when I said what the hell else you use these for they laughed....z poles are for trail running with out a pack or any arse.....I'm 210lbs.....too heavy for those....they recommended the carbon cork w straight handle...a few days later new carbon cork with curved handle arrived so I called them they said merry xmas keep them and sent me another set free with straight handle.........I've beat the he'll out of the alpine carbon corks without ever an issue...I beat them on trees etc when night hiking to make sure I don't surprise any bears...I've never even adjusted the flick locks...I've had them several years....without an issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
10-28-2016, 06:27
This is an example of how there's no accounting for individual preferences, styles and usage habits. Which is to say, the spectrum runs from folks who are hard on equipment to folks who could get 10,000 miles of satisfactory usage from a pair of spaghetti noodles.

Pax
10-28-2016, 08:12
Love my Black Diamonds. Aluminum, flick locks, and the angled grips are a slice of heaven on my wrists!

jjozgrunt
10-28-2016, 08:33
I'm a Helinox user, good strong, aluminium with flick locks. Heaps of models including set lengths.

Sandy of PA
10-28-2016, 09:03
I had Black Diamond Aluminum Z-poles that self destructed after 100 miles in the rain. They would not fold and if you got them unfolded they would not lock into place. I used duck tape to make them work for another 300 miles and dropped them in the garbage on the way to the train home. I am quit happy with the flick locks that replaced them. Also their rubber tips are only good for about a hundred miles, so I use the carbide and poke holes in the trail and scratch the rocks.

colorado_rob
10-28-2016, 10:30
I had Black Diamond Aluminum Z-poles that self destructed after 100 miles in the rain. They would not fold and if you got them unfolded they would not lock into place. I used duck tape to make them work for another 300 miles and dropped them in the garbage on the way to the train home.Very weird. I've owned a pair of BD aluminum zpoles for 3-4 years now, used them in rain, snow, wind-blown sand, whatever, never had any problems whatsoever. What could rain possibly do to make them fail??? There simply is no mechanism for rain to make these fail. They must have been simply flawed in manufacture. My wife's carbon version are going strong after 5 years or so (but I broke my original carbon ones, REI of course gave me a refund which I used to buy the aluminum ones).

Sandy of PA
10-28-2016, 12:38
I started with a week of rain, when I went to fold them they would not come apart. The aluminum had oxidized inside. With help I got them apart, dried them but then they wouldn't stay open. This would not be a problem with CARBON ones.

colorado_rob
10-28-2016, 12:44
I started with a week of rain, when I went to fold them they would not come apart. The aluminum had oxidized inside. With help I got them apart, dried them but then they wouldn't stay open. This would not be a problem with CARBON ones.Aluminum does not oxidize in rain. There had to be another flaw to the poles, generally a rare thing with Black diamond. Wherever you bought them would have surely replaced them, but like you, if I had this problem, I would have pitched them in a trash can myself. Sorry you had this problem in any case.

Kookork
10-28-2016, 13:18
Aluminum does not oxidize in rain. There had to be another flaw to the poles, generally a rare thing with Black diamond. Wherever you bought them would have surely replaced them, but like you, if I had this problem, I would have pitched them in a trash can myself. Sorry you had this problem in any case.

Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation. This layer is about 4 nm thick and will provide corrosion protection as long as this oxide layer is stable.

MuddyWaters
10-28-2016, 14:11
I would expect the unanodized internal tube surface simply corroded a bit with prolonged moisture contact. Most definitely can happen. I had to clean mine up a bit once after put away for a few weeks with water trapped inside after used upside down for shelter support. Plus side, a rougher surface helps not to slip, whether flick or twistlok

colorado_rob
10-28-2016, 14:36
You guys are quite simply wrong; I've never, ever had any aluminum gear oxidize in the rain; sure, over a long time some very thin oxidation can occur on Aluminum, but certainly not immediately on a pair of aluminum trekking poles. Just doesn't happen like that. 7075-T6 aluminum is an alloy used everywhere in wet conditions.

Tent poles, backpack frames, pots, tons of aluminum stuff out there, never ever seen it corroded.

Show me a piece of aluminum gear, relatively new with oxidation on it and I'll eat a big plate of crow.

MuddyWaters
10-28-2016, 14:56
You guys are quite simply wrong; I've never, ever had any aluminum gear oxidize in the rain; sure, over a long time some very thin oxidation can occur on Aluminum, but certainly not immediately on a pair of aluminum trekking poles. Just doesn't happen like that. 7075-T6 aluminum is an alloy used everywhere in wet conditions.

Tent poles, backpack frames, pots, tons of aluminum stuff out there, never ever seen it corroded.

Show me a piece of aluminum gear, relatively new with oxidation on it and I'll eat a big plate of crow.

Google aluminum crevice corrosion.

Water stain its frequently called, but its surface corrosion due to water trapped between layers of aluminum, exposed to air. Its superficial modtly, but were talking about parts that slide together with tight clearance and surface finish counts for being able to do that easily.

If you were to wipe it off a smudge of wet dark grey oxide would wipe off

Kookork
10-28-2016, 15:01

Aluminum oxidize but does not corrode. Because the first layer of oxidized aluminum prevents the progression of oxidization. ( so called 4 Nano meter thick that is invisible to naked eye). So you don't need to eat a big plate of crow, but if you persist then I am not gonna object if you eat a big plate of home made Apple pie!!.

Sarcasm the elf
10-28-2016, 15:05
I have definitely experienced minor oxidation issues with my older set of poles bought in 2009. I will emphasize the word minor, I just rubbed them down with rubbing alcohol when I got home and there was no further issue

A quick search of the WB archives comes up with a couple of theads reporting similar issues:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/88089-Cleaning-Black-Diamond-trekking-poles

My newer ones don't have so much as a speck of oxidation on them, so I wonder if this is something that has been resolved in recent years.

theinfamousj
10-28-2016, 15:05
Sorry to distract from the discussion of oxidation, but I wanted to chime in with a other pole option that isn't frequently considered: children's poles.

I have a set of REI Kids Poles that work really well for someone smol (as the kids say) like me. The tips are broad like rubber ones, but aren't rubber. They aren't terribly tall because they are made for kiddos, and when I pitch my The One tent (my only tarp tent) with them, I have to extend them somehow.

But they are light. So light. Because children.

And the grips are small which matters for my little hands. Because children.

So do not despair, petite people of the world! For there are options for is in robust yet lighter poles than the "Average Sized" people get to use! And like everything else, we just have to look in the kids section.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

soumodeler
10-28-2016, 15:06
I put up my Leki Corklites after using them for 3 weeks and forgot to dry them. 8 months later they were stuck together and had to be forced apart. They had corroded so bad it took 3 people to open each pair. I cleaned them as best I could but they still will get stuck after a few weeks closed. Not as bad as the first time but still annoying.

colorado_rob
10-28-2016, 15:44
Sorry to distract the thread with this bickering about "oxidation", I'll shut up right after I say I think people confuse "oxidation" with dirt. Poles are magnets for dirt/dust, add in moisture and let the dust/water dry out, voila, dried glue. 4 nanometers of Al2O3... invisible, yet apparently not to everyone.

Sandy of PA
10-28-2016, 16:45
Whatever you want to call the grey gunky stuff, it rendered the poles worthless!

soumodeler
10-28-2016, 18:54
Never seen white dirt before that magically grows...

dcdennis
10-28-2016, 21:24
ended up going with some leki cork grips. thank you everyone for the discussion!

https://www.rei.com/product/881622/leki-corklite-trekking-poles-pair

Another Kevin
10-28-2016, 22:44
Aluminum oxide, Al2O3, forms a stable passive layer that protects aluminum from corrosion or further oxidation. This layer is about 4 nm thick and will provide corrosion protection as long as this oxide layer is stable.

Some of the Al-Zn alloys (I seem to recall that 7075 is one of them) don't passivate well; the Zn expands the crystal lattice just enough that the alumina doesn't bond and spalls off, revealing more surface to be attacked.

7075 tubing usually has pure Al bonded to the surface, and the bond coat passivates. But if there's enough abrasion to expose the high-strength Al-Zn alloy underneath, it will indeed corrode over time.

6061 has the same problem but to a much lesser extent, and if I remember correctly it's usually treated with a bond coat only in marine applications. (It's been largely superseded in aeronautics.)

The fundamental work on the process (https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930081004.pdf) was done at NACA in the 1920's.

I read up at one point on the process that MSR's subcontractor used on my snowshoes. It was surprisingly complicated: after dip and HIP, there's an Al bond coat, then a caustic bath to passivate it, a zinc chromate etch, and a powder coat with an epoxy-polyester hybrid for toughness (so that impact won't fracture the alumina). I guess I shouldn't have been surprised: snowshoes take a lot of abuse.

egilbe
10-29-2016, 04:55
My Komperdell made Rei poles corroded so badly that finally one siezed and I couldnt unlock it. Replaced them with BD Alpine lites. My GF Komperdell made LLBean poles still look brand new. And yes Rob, its corrosion, not dirt.

Pax
10-29-2016, 08:33
ended up going with some leki cork grips. thank you everyone for the discussion!

Nice choice, hope you love them!

Kaptainkriz
10-29-2016, 09:13
I have these, they are outstanding poles!

MuddyWaters
10-29-2016, 12:01
Corrosion on adjuster

Kookork
10-29-2016, 12:35
Corrosion on adjuster

I am not sure to call that corrosion or not because it is something greenish happening but not deep. I take my fifth about it.

soumodeler
10-29-2016, 14:49
Agreed, excellent choice on the poles. I love mine.

rmitchell
11-05-2016, 08:37
Could be that pole shaft is aluminum but adjuster is steel?

Uncle Joe
11-05-2016, 08:56
I have the Black Diamond Trail Blacks. I like having thumb locks. I don't care for the "scissor" type or the spring-loaded ones.

MuddyWaters
11-05-2016, 11:25
Could be that pole shaft is aluminum but adjuster is steel?

Nope. Aluminum