PDA

View Full Version : Water and Temperature situation in GA

TN James
10-26-2016, 12:03
Hey guys, looking to section hike Springer to Deep Gap NC either next week or the week after.

I'm wondering about the temperatures for November. Looking at mountain-forecast it doesn't look too bad but I don't know how accurate this is. (http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Blood-Mountain/forecasts/1360)

I'm planning on just hiking in running shorts and a long sleeve REI/Columbia type button down. Is this sufficient if I carry a wool base layer + puffy + 20deg EE quilt for night? If not, I can try to pick up some running tights to layer under my shorts and maybe a fleece pullover.

Also, I know the water situation is pretty dry right now but I was hoping someone could chime in for an update. How dry are we talking? Will I be OK if I camel up at the source and plan on carrying 3 liters on me while hiking (2L Platy + 1L smart water bottle)?

Thanks!

soumodeler
10-26-2016, 16:36
From Ron Brown on Monday:

WATER UPDATE STILL NO RAIN
DRY! DRY!!DRY!!
WE NEED RAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have been trying very hard to get all of this right. I want to THANK YOU ALL for helping me try to keep this accurate. I'm only mentioning the outages.
Starting the Approach Trail NORTHBOUND
ALL SOURCES ON THE APPROACH TRAIL ARE DRY
Springer is almost dry for a second time
Hawk Mt. Shelter(mm 8.1) is LAST WATER UNTIL JUSTUS CREEK(mm 14.4)
Jarrard Gap(mm 26.7) Dry
Woods Hole Shelter(mm 28.2) Dry
Slaughter Creek Dry
Bull Gap(mm 32.8) Dry
Swain Gap(mm 34.6) Dry
Whitley Gap Shelter 1.2 miles off trail(mm 38.4) Dry
Hogpen Gap(mm 38.6) Dry
Poplar Stamp Gap, Dry
Cold Springs Gap, GA: right around here, there's a nice stream of water coming from up the hill, it goes through a culvert under the trail; flowing strong & cold!
Chattahoochee Gap (Jacks Knob Trail), GA: a trickle
Blue Mountain Shelter, GA: DRY
Deep Gap Shelter, GA: low water level coming from the hill
Cheese Factory water update.
Cheese Factory water source is dry
BUT
Follow the water sign to the road and go left. 300 yards right of the road there's a Creek following.
Moreland Gap, GA: Dry
Dicks Creek Gap, GA: Low
Bly Gap, GA: Dry
Muskrat Creek Shelter, NC: good water
White Oak Stamp, NC: Dry
Winding Stair Gap: Dry (waterfall north on the trail maybe still flowing)
BOTTOM LINE IS DON'T PASS UP WATER
Carry spare bladders

As for temps, it was 43* in Dahlonega this morning when I got up. Probably mid to upper 30s on the trail depending on elevation. I would plan on temps right around 30* maybe a little lower.

Dan Roper
10-26-2016, 17:11
Temps through middle of next week are forecast in 50s at night and low 80s daytime, perhaps five to ten degrees cooler at high elevation. This is extraordinarily warm for this time of year. Watch long-range forecasts carefully for any sign of a major change; but if there isn't a major change, the weather should be nice but warm. At lower elevations in northwest Georgia, most trees have dropped their leaves due (three weeks early) due to the extended drought. If that's the situation in the mountains, then watch out for temps in the 70s without cloud cover. Sunburn will be a real concern and south facing slopes might have brutal micro-temps around 90 or so.