PDA

View Full Version : Speck Pond Shelter

peakbagger
10-26-2016, 17:03
A note from the AMC trail coordinator for the Mahoosucs was on VFTT.com today informing everyone that Speck Pond Shelter has been dismantled for the winter and will be replaced with a new shelter in the spring. I expect a few off season users might be in for a surprise if they plan a trip.

mattjv89
10-26-2016, 21:15
I was through there a few weeks ago finishing the Grafton Loop Trail, nothing left but a few piles of boards. They did construct a temporary shelter on one of the tent platforms from scrap boards and a few tarps. Not sure how it'll look after a heavy snow load.

peakbagger
10-27-2016, 05:44
If its normal winter (which we haven't had for few years), I seriously doubt a temporary shelter would hold up to the snow. Snow depths at that elevation and location can get up in the several feet range at times. During one particular snowy winter, the Hermit Lake shelters on Mt Washington south of this shelter but at roughly the same elevation were accessed via a vertical tunnel as the shelters were completely buried.

rocketsocks
10-27-2016, 07:47
A note from the AMC trail coordinator for the Mahoosucs was on VFTT.com today informing everyone that Speck Pond Shelter has been dismantled for the winter and will be replaced with a new shelter in the spring. I expect a few off season users might be in for a surprise if they plan a trip....and a perfect example of why a hiker should always carry their own shelter.

peakbagger
10-27-2016, 08:39
I expect southern folks would be surprised how many folks head out in the snow in the winter and go camping for the weekend and shelters are a prime target fro newbie's. Unfortunately generally the wood supply is picked clean nearby and some folks in their quest to keep the fires going can really make a mess. In some cases the fires get too close to the shelters and do damage. Luckily Speck Pond is not easy to get to from either direction. Most folks drag their gear in with sleds and either approach to Speck Pond is definitely not sled friendly. Odds are the folks heading up there are mostly likely more advanced campers (or totally clueless newbies. When I used to winter camp if there was reasonable snow pack, digging a camp into the snow and place for the tent away from established areas was the way to go, there is generally plenty of deadfall nearby and with a small saw a lot of wood can get collected in a hurry.

Its been claimed that Speck Pond is Maine's highest Pond.

Berserker
01-25-2018, 12:21
I forgot to snap a pic, but as of last August this shelter was coming along nicely. It was still being constructed, but was almost done. I presume it's probably finished now? I love the supports around the opening in the front as they are tree trunks with parts of branches left on, and used as part of the support structure for the roof logs. Really neat looking. I stopped by and had lunch at this shelter on my section hike through here back in August of 2017.

Starchild
01-25-2018, 12:35
Hopefully there are signs at the nearby trailheads to let the hikers know not to expect a shelter there.

BillyGr
01-25-2018, 16:37
Hopefully there are signs at the nearby trailheads to let the hikers know not to expect a shelter there.

Hopefully such a sign isn't needed by now (since this was originally from Oct 2016, with plans to rebuild in the spring), and the post above saying it was coming along nicely in August (of 2017) would make one think it should be done by now.

rickb
01-25-2018, 17:26
I forgot to snap a pic, but as of last August this shelter was coming along nicely. It was still being constructed, but was almost done. I presume it's probably finished now? I love the supports around the opening in the front as they are tree trunks with parts of branches left on, and used as part of the support structure for the roof logs. Really neat looking. I stopped by and had lunch at this shelter on my section hike through here back in August of 2017.

Here is a cool 2 minute video that was posted on the club’s twitter feed.

https://t.co/KJwmt1RN3I

egilbe
01-25-2018, 22:12
There is a four foot strip missing from the floor. Apparently they miscalculated bill of materials :D

ldsailor
01-26-2018, 12:34
Watched the video. Nice shelter. I often wondered if the shelter construction crews used helicopters since there did not seem to be any other way to get materials to the remote locations.

Many of the newer shelters on the trail have some awesome features. I especially liked the ones in Virginia with the porches. I'll be hiking past the Speck Pond Shelter this year and will make it a point to check it out and possibly stay the night.