PDA

View Full Version : Argh! Criminal Minds and the AT

One Half
10-26-2016, 21:56
watching tonight's episode of Criminal Minds. The inaccuracies are astounding. References to the "terrain" and how dangerous it is on this trail, the number of people killed on it, etc.

I think my head is going to explode

Suzzz
10-26-2016, 22:03
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

One Half
10-26-2016, 22:09
And that backpack they found! External frame? Do they even make those any more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarcasm the elf
10-26-2016, 23:15
Just one of many reasons I haven't owned a TV since college.

Dogwood
10-27-2016, 00:40
Stories told through Hollywood and the media are so corrupted by power and dollars endlessly offering a string of BS that blurs reality...all for you viewing pleasure. Some of the biggest tools for Producers and Studios even news and weather reports are conflict, death, drama, fear, and suspense. What's so alarming is the public takes these biased perspectives fed to them as the standard of reality and truth.

Traveler
10-27-2016, 05:44
Its television fiction, not to be taken seriously. Its not accurate to the finest or even broadest detail. Its not a reflection of reality in any shape or form. No corrupting conglomerate with Blowfeld is behind it. Its only entertainment not a vast conspiracy to steal bodily fluids...

illabelle
10-27-2016, 05:56
Stories told through Hollywood and the media are so corrupted by power and dollars endlessly offering a string of BS that blurs reality...all for you viewing pleasure. Some of the biggest tools for Producers and Studios even news and weather reports are conflict, death, drama, fear, and suspense. What's so alarming is the public takes these biased perspectives fed to them as the standard of reality and truth.

Its television fiction, not to be taken seriously. Its not accurate to the finest or even broadest detail. Its not a reflection of reality in any shape or form. No corrupting conglomerate with Blowfeld is behind it. Its only entertainment not a vast conspiracy to steal bodily fluids...

Both Dogwood and Traveler accurately state that Criminal Minds is just entertainment. But Dogwood is absolutely correct in his statement of alarm. Of course in this case it's the "trivial" topic of the Trail, which no one cares about except us. However, this same type of bias, misinformation, and downright lies also forms the "standard of reality and truth" for a range of significant issues that affect all Americans, issues in the realm of civics, religion, history, economics, war, current events, etc. When you pause to think about it, it evokes sadness, anger, and yes, alarm!

Wiki
10-27-2016, 07:19
Things like this are why people are always asking about carrying guns on the trail.

Heliotrope
10-27-2016, 07:22
Sorry Dogwood. Hollywood is just filling a void for people living a predictable and boring cubicle, box store, suburban lifestyle. Most people know the difference between entertainment and reality. I do agree that the news media fixates on sensational topics. I think this can do more harm. And then again it may be inherently human to fear the unknown and to magnify in our mind things we fear.

rocketsocks
10-27-2016, 07:35
watching tonight's episode of Criminal Minds. The inaccuracies are astounding. References to the "terrain" and how dangerous it is on this trail, the number of people killed on it, etc.

I think my head is going to explodeit keeps the numbers down.

Majortrauma
10-27-2016, 08:20
Criminal Minds jumped the shark 3 or 4sea

Majortrauma
10-27-2016, 08:24
Criminal Minds jumped the shark 3 or 4 seasons ago. A once decent and interesting show. Not at all so now. But if it keeps the numbers on the trail down, good.

Roamin
10-27-2016, 12:05
So if I am following this right…..

When “A Walk in the Woods” came out many people complained because of the increased traffic on the trail, overcrowding at the shelters and desecration of a “hallowed” trail.

Now this episode, which has the potential to reverse this travesty, and it is still bemoaned as travesty to the trail. Let the un-informed see the episode and be scared to walk into a forest. The “wise” will know better and enjoy a renewed silence on the trail.

Disclaimer:
This is a joke, and only a joke. Had this been an actual serious post you would have directed to the “Dogs on a Leash” post for some heated debate. Again, this is only a joke!

MisterQ
10-27-2016, 13:15
You mean you haven't encountered a demented hobo running down the trail randomly throwing chopped up body parts into the trees? I thought everyone had seen that at least once.

dudeijuststarted
10-27-2016, 13:33
You mean you haven't encountered a demented hobo running down the trail randomly throwing chopped up body parts into the trees? I thought everyone had seen that at least once.

I've been a demented hobo running down the trail throwing body parts. Well maybe not body parts. Actually nothing, because "leave no trace." Still demented though, as are all of you.

Dogwood
10-27-2016, 13:43
No matter the vehicle for the source of information and stimuli gov't, religion, philosophy, sports, entertainment, teachers, clergy, media, law enforcement, parents, spouse, friends, ....there is always the element of influencing occurring. Therefore the 'entertainment' industry does not just entertain but shapes belief, culture, values, and hence behavior. This is widely understood by media outlets, producers, politicians, psychiatrists, sociologists, and social activists like Tipper Gore who put the spotlight on Hollywood for promoting sex and violence.

Yes, survivalists, 'When Animals go Wild', A Walk in the Woods, horror, accounts of death, 'Wild', very public FKT,....etc accounts certainly do shape individual trail experiences, not only for hikers but for hiker's loved ones and the general public too. YES, it is clearly evident the public - us - confuse fact and fiction.

Dogwood
10-27-2016, 13:49
Individuals and groups surreptitiously tacitly plotting and conspiring is nothing new. Among the powerful - those in power -, who often want more power, and wealthy it is a given.

Carbo
10-27-2016, 14:32
Glad I didn't see this episode of Criminal Minds. I was watching a documentary of the earth orbiting the sun. Not sure if the media can distort that, a little spin maybe.

rocketsocks
10-27-2016, 14:45
Criminal Minds jumped the shark 3 or 4 seasons ago. A once decent and interesting show. Not at all so now. But if it keeps the numbers on the trail down, good.yup the history channel blows as well, use to be great programming, now ya got 24-7 of a couple a knuck knucks collecting old oil cans and such.

Dogwood
10-27-2016, 14:53
Science has its biases too! Science is very much so, inextricably, intertwined in belief and philosophy. I'm a scientist who has come to that realization.

Carbo
10-27-2016, 16:20
Science has its biases too! Science is very much so, inextricably, intertwined in belief and philosophy. I'm a scientist who has come to that realization.

The simplest solution is usually the best.

H I T C H
10-27-2016, 19:04
There was a show on the ID channel Tuesday night that was set on the AT. I do not need anything to discouraged my wife from hitting the trail with me, so on her suggestion I changed it.

I don't know if the story is based on truth or not.

It is going to be aired again this Sunday at 3.

Dead Silent on Investigation Discovery (074) 3:00PM, Sunday 10/30.

Sean Farmer travels to a remote campsite in Virginia for a fishing trip with his friend Scott Johnston, but a mysterious stranger appears, unveiling the area's dark past.

Read more about the program here:http://tv24.me/program

rocketsocks
10-27-2016, 20:31
Full story

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/07/AR2008070702332.html

Sarcasm the elf
10-27-2016, 20:40
ID channel? Is that short for Idiot channel, because that would be phenomenal!

rocketsocks
10-27-2016, 20:42
ID channel? Is that short for Idiot channel, because that would be phenomenal!most sagacious

Rain Man
10-27-2016, 22:47
Someone who watches Criminal Minds complaining that the show is jacked up and factually questionable?!

Oh, the irony.

SWODaddy
10-28-2016, 08:30
99% of what people watch on TV is garbage.

Here's the point that a lot of people miss: If they get the things you understand so wrong, why would you believe the things you don't understand on TV? Yet, people do that all the time.

Sarcasm the elf
10-28-2016, 08:32

Here's the point that a lot of people miss: If they get the things you understand so wrong, why would you believe the things you don't understand on TV? Yet, people do that all the time.

Thank you, I am baffled by why more people don't understand this.

I've also noticed that any time you see an "expert" that has their own reality show, chances are that they are considered a laughing stock within their own field.

rafe
10-28-2016, 08:53
Just one of many reasons I haven't owned a TV since college.

But you have Internet.

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 09:52
Unless you are watching an unbiased documentary, no TV show is going to be accurate. I happen to love Criminal Minds, and part of that is because as a former LEO I notice the tiny things...how they breach a house, how they carry their weapons etc, and those things are very well done.

Of course, when I see an episode is set in an area I know it invariably doesn't look like that place at all, because it's mostly filmed in CA. Does it bother me? A little. Does it take away from my enjoyment of the show? No.

Berserker
10-28-2016, 12:12
There was a show on the ID channel Tuesday night that was set on the AT. I do not need anything to discouraged my wife from hitting the trail with me, so on her suggestion I changed it.

I don't know if the story is based on truth or not.

It is going to be aired again this Sunday at 3.

Dead Silent on Investigation Discovery (074) 3:00PM, Sunday 10/30.

Sean Farmer travels to a remote campsite in Virginia for a fishing trip with his friend Scott Johnston, but a mysterious stranger appears, unveiling the area's dark past.

Read more about the program here:http://tv24.me/program
This guy (Randall Lee Smith) and what he did has been discussed here in detail in other threads if you want to look it up. I noticed that Rocketsocks also linked to a detailed account of what he did. In summary, he was implicated in killing 2 thru hikers in 1981 at Wapiti Shelter (the exact location of which has been debated), he served time in prison, was released, and then in 2008 he shot 2 fishermen (who both survived) camping off the AT not far from the location of the original murders. He passed away in jail shortly after the shootings in 2008.

Sarcasm the elf
10-28-2016, 13:18
But you have Internet.

I'm not sure what you're attempting to imply. Of couse I have internet, it's an interactive tool that has almost limitless possibilities and is more or less required for a functioning middle class lifestyle at this point.

TV on the other-hand is basically a worthless one way signal that channels death, sex, and violence (Plus sports, it's not my thing but I can appreciate that) into ones home for the low price of a couple hundred bucks a month.

pilgrimskywheel
10-28-2016, 14:26
Believe nothing the television says, and everything on the internet - you'll be fine.

Fredt4
10-28-2016, 14:29

Awe, the scientist that aware of their reality. I find it a bit annoying when they don't have this awareness but it's only a bit more annoying than being around religious people who don't have this awareness. Now go forward an explain how Global Warming doesn't mean the AT will be warmer this year and you'll be a good person.

Greenlight
10-28-2016, 14:34
I have a very nice Kelty 65 external frame pack that I picked up last year. It is very comfortable and I may wear it when I hike the Knobstone Trail in the spring.

But if you are looking for TV shows to be realistic about anything, you need to turn off the tube and go hiking.

Actually, you need to do that anyway. Just sayin'!

And that backpack they found! External frame? Do they even make those any more?

rafe
10-28-2016, 16:26
I'm not sure what you're attempting to imply. Of couse I have internet, it's an interactive tool that has almost limitless possibilities and is more or less required for a functioning middle class lifestyle at this point.

TV on the other-hand is basically a worthless one way signal that channels death, sex, and violence (Plus sports, it's not my thing but I can appreciate that) into ones home for the low price of a couple hundred bucks a month.

Didn't mean much by it. I mostly agree. I can mostly live w/o TV but not without broadband. With most providers these days, you can't get one without the other. TV is good for DVDs, Netflix et. al., and PBS on Sunday evenings. Plus I like looking at my photos occasionally on the big screen.

One Half
10-28-2016, 17:13

I don't believe anything I see. But I know others do.

Furlough
10-29-2016, 08:13
....etc accounts certainly do shape individual trail experiences, not only for hikers but for hiker's loved ones and the general public too. .

A bit of a broad generalization. Nothing I have ever seen on TV about hiking/backpacking has ever shaped any experience for me when it comes to being on the trail. Ones ability to understand the difference between fiction and reality, with a bit of common sense sprinkled in for good measure should be enough for anyone to intuit the difference.

Engine
10-29-2016, 08:21
Awe, the scientist that aware of their reality. I find it a bit annoying when they don't have this awareness but it's only a bit more annoying than being around religious people who don't have this awareness. Now go forward an explain how Global Warming doesn't mean the AT will be warmer this year and you'll be a good person.

It will be warmer this year, but the cause is La Nina...I just read a 2 paragraph scientific article about it on the internet yesterday. Going to be warmer and very dry next spring. It said so on the internet, so we can leave the down jackets and rain gear home next March, hooray!

MuddyWaters
10-29-2016, 09:37

A persons intelligence is inversely related to size of their TV.

Bronk
10-29-2016, 10:21
Just one of many reasons I haven't owned a TV since college.I'm coming up on 15 years without a TV. I got rid of the last one I owned right before getting on the trail in 2002 and haven't owned one since. And I don't miss having it at all. It is a massive time suckage, aside from it being a propaganda machine.

Offshore
10-29-2016, 10:47
Relax literalists- it's only a TV show and the AT was only incidental to the story line (and probably used since it is recognizable to a broad swath of the general public). What was it - one mention of the phrase "Appalachian Trail"? Yet so many twisted panties here...

rocketsocks
10-29-2016, 10:51
And on the complete other end of this....I gots 3 TV's and a tablet fur the kitchen

George
10-29-2016, 13:47

I have not seen this - perhaps because I do not carry a mirror

Dogwood
10-29-2016, 13:53
I'm coming up on 15 years without a TV. I got rid of the last one I owned right before getting on the trail in 2002 and haven't owned one since. And I don't miss having it at all. It is a massive time suckage, aside from it being a propaganda machine.

A computer with internet can easily, and is, replacing TV doing all that you, and I have, similarly have complaints. :-?

johnnybgood
10-29-2016, 17:28
A computer with internet can easily, and is, replacing TV doing all that you, and I have, similarly have complaints. :-?

This luddite knows not what this computer i n t e r n e t you speak of . :-? All seriousness - If it were up to me I would deep six my TV and never miss it.

theinfamousj
10-29-2016, 19:17
My flatmate has a television that I occasionally use when I am ill. We have broadband Internet and I can watch everything I want to on my phone or on my computer.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Rain Man
10-31-2016, 11:26
TV on the other-hand is basically a worthless one way signal that channels death, sex, and violence ....

Dude, you left out partisan politics!!! Or, maybe that's what you were talking about? LOL

A persons intelligence is inversely related to size of their TV.

OUCH!!! But how would I see such vibrant detail of my Clemson Tigers whooping up on those nasty Florida State Seminoles ... after getting home from my weekend hike?! ;)

DuneElliot
10-31-2016, 13:34
I have a TV, two actually, but I don't pay for standard cable or satellite...waste of money. Netflix provides everything I could possibly want.

Carbo
10-31-2016, 22:54
If you turn the sound off on the TV, it provides a nice ambient illumination similar to a fireplace.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2016, 09:19
Dude, you left out partisan politics!!! Or, maybe that's what you were talking about? LOL

Hmm,:-? that wasn't what I had meant but you definitely have a point. :cool:

DuneElliot
11-01-2016, 09:32
I just watched it, I didn't think it was that bad...except for the backpack.

rocketsocks
11-01-2016, 12:04
A computer with internet can easily, and is, replacing TV doing all that you, and I have, similarly have complaints. :-?yes, and most newer TV can be used as a monitor...no cable company monthly bill required.

rocketsocks
11-01-2016, 12:05
...but you will need a internet bill.

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2016, 12:13
...but you will need a internet bill.

Internet Bill sounds like a terrible nickname...