PDA

View Full Version : Question for the ladies..

snarbles
01-14-2006, 11:49
I had a debate with some females (one was supposedly a backpacker) about cotton base layers (undies) vs polyester vs non-cotton and non-polyester for women. I basically I said that most backpackers do not wear any forms of cotton as it holds in moisture and does not dry quickly enough. They said "cotton is the only type I wear" saying that polyester can cause "unpleasant situations (do I need to go into detail?)" for women. I have never heard of this before as I am not a women and am open minded that cotton base layers might be prefered for women over polyester. Is this true? Are all my preachings about synthetic underwear not true for women? Any enlightenment on this issue would be appreciated as I am trying to gear up my girlfriend for maximum comfort when we hit the trails.

Thanks and yes I feel a bit awkward posting a topic about female underwear :)

Mouse
01-14-2006, 12:55
I just wore running shorts with a built-in lining or with long pants Ex-Officio sythetic underwear with no problems.

sarbar
01-14-2006, 13:03
Let's just say that if I sweat a lot on really hot days, and I am hiking over 10 miles, and I am wearing synthetic underwear and pants-yes, I get gross down there. Blech.
Reason why I carry cotton underwear to sleep in at night. So everything can breathe if you get my drift. And yes, in summer, on hot days, I am known for wearing thin cotton underwear or none.

Bubble Toes
01-14-2006, 14:14
Technically, cotton underwear are healthier. But I wore the new microfiber type underwear (from Target) on my thru hike this year and never had any problems. If the cotton is thin drying time isn't going to be drastically different. The most important thing is get underwear that won't bunch when walking all day!!! (lots of girls when without as well)

snarbles
01-17-2006, 19:11
Technically, cotton underwear are healthier. But I wore the new microfiber type underwear (from Target) on my thru hike this year and never had any problems. If the cotton is thin drying time isn't going to be drastically different. The most important thing is get underwear that won't bunch when walking all day!!! (lots of girls when without as well)

Please explain why cotton underwear are "healthier" as compared to polyester.

Almost There
01-17-2006, 19:33
I'll explain it as my wife explained it to me....cotton breathes better than synthetics...and as a man that is all I will say on that one!!!

sarbar
01-17-2006, 19:57
Please explain why cotton underwear are "healthier" as compared to polyester.
If you are the type that gets yeast infections, bladder problems, kidney, etc..cotton is your friend. Synthetics that don't breathe well are a breeding ground for trouble.

4whim
01-17-2006, 20:19
COTTON ONLY IN THE NETHER-REGIONS! Wash and rotate daily,,,let dry exposed to UV sunlight hanging on backpack the next day. Cannot even fathom the petri-dish conditions wearing anything but cotton for underwear would create

BW2006
01-17-2006, 20:38
When the weather is warm I like the idea of no undies and a hiking skirt. Have the undies available for when you stop to rest and hang out or when you get to camp. The microfiber ones are great for colder weather and of course shorts with a mesh liner work well. Have two pairs and wash the panty part of one each day and let it dry on your pack. Even if you wear it wet it will dry in no time.

snarbles
01-17-2006, 21:28
Thanks for clearing that up. Seems there is a place for cotton in backpacking after all.

Spirit Walker
01-18-2006, 10:24
I wear nylon with a cotton panel where it counts. Washes and dries easily. Lightweight. Cheap to buy (used to be able to get them for 99 cents) so no problem to throw away. I'll also wear panty liners sometimes. I've never had a problem.