PDA

View Full Version : Saddlback Mtn in Maine is getting more protection

peakbagger
10-27-2016, 10:56
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/10/27/foundation-of-skiers-businesses-reach-agreement-to-buy-troubled-saddleback-resort/

It will be interesting to see the boundaries of the protected land. A prior owner had greenmailed the federal government at one point to pay to protect the area from future development and then quickly walked away and dumped what was left on the current owners who were well meaning but never pulled it off. Unfortunately the area is just a couple of hours too far from the markets they want to serve and Rangeley has never been able to pull off the destination ski resort concept, although the town is overrun with snowmachines in the winter.

Rain Man
10-27-2016, 22:49
Was there in August. Glad it's getting protected! Super mountain.

rafe
10-28-2016, 09:06
I never understood why Saddleback took even longer to settle than Killington/Pico. As a ski area, they really never tried to compete with the big shots. Just no market presence. (Said as a long-time New England skier.)

On the plus side, I never really sensed any of the actual ski facilities while walking that summit. No slopes, no lifts, etc. It felt pretty wild.

egilbe
10-28-2016, 09:17
I parked at Saddleback this Summer and walked up the ski slope. It was like a ghost town. We walked down Sugarloaf a couple days later, and that was like a wealthy, upscale ghost town. Large contrast in the two ski areas and they aren't that far apart.