PDA

View Full Version : Mid-May Start

Alan Ellis
10-27-2016, 15:41
I can only do half the trail this year so I figured to start in mid-may. Can I still expect crowds in mid-may or not? Thanks for any info!

PaulWorksHard
10-27-2016, 15:53
I started May 4 at Amicalola. About 12 other people were at the hiker hostel where I stayed the night before. The first 50 miles or so there were a decent number of people, but definitely not "crowds". In GSMNP, most shelters were close to full, which was a great thing, because it meant I could sleep in my tent, rather than the shelter. Elsewhere, unless there was rain, I believe most shelters had space to spare. Depending on your condition, willingness to hike from sunup to sundown and tolerance for cold weather, a mid may NOBO start can finish the trail well before Katahdin closes.

moldy
10-28-2016, 17:26
Mid May is a great time to start a halfsey. The pack will be in front of you. The weather will be better. You will have less chance of a snow issue in GSMNP. You should finish up before the serous heat of Summer and the dry water holes.

Alan Ellis
10-28-2016, 19:50
Great info! Thanks!

One Half
11-02-2016, 01:20
glad I found this thread. friend and I are thinking of starting May 1 from Springer. I will be with her up to a month. She hiked part of the AT last year from HF north so she will likely hike to HF and then flip up to Katahdin and head south to finish where she ended last year.

Slow Trek
11-27-2016, 01:42
My son and I started May 15th and with no zero days,arrived in Harpers on August 2nd. Went great,not too crowded,but certainly not lonely. Only possible downside is some very hot days,but all in all was awesome.