PDA

View Full Version : Supercat experiment gone awry

jasonklass
01-14-2006, 12:01
I thought I would try painting a Supercat black just to see if it helped it prime faster or burn hotter in cold weather. Here are some pictures of my experiment:

http://community.webshots.com/album/543043947OkOaZx

The results were dismal to say the least. The paint not only increased the boil time by 30 seconds, but melted and fused to the bottom of the pot! I almost crushed the stove trying to pry it off the pot. It even left a ring of paint on the bottom of the pot which I had to sand off. I used 1200 degree Krylon grill paint and let it cure for 24 hours. There was no reduction in priming time and the the paint even bubbled up on the inside of the stove as you can see from the pictures (probably because the coating on the inside of the can prevented the paint from adhereing). What a disappointment. I just wanted to share in case anyone was thinking of trying this. I'd say, don't waste your time! Painting the Supercat DECREASES it's performance.

The experiment was conducted at 5,287 ft. at room temp. with 2 cups of water in an Antigravitygear 2 cup pot.

Fiddler
01-14-2006, 12:14
Hurry up and get a patent. You have just invented the stove-pot combo!

Mouse
01-14-2006, 13:00
Wow, the catfood-can Jetboil!:dance

Fiddler
01-14-2006, 13:46
Just thought of something. I used to do a lot of ironwork (blacksmith type) and I would paint some of my things with the heat-resistant paints. I found that some brands of paint require heat to cure. Try it again but fire the stove up once and let it burn out and cool back off. Then try with the pot on. Might work, at least worth a try.

Big Dawg
01-14-2006, 14:42
I painted my supercat, but only on the sides/bottom,, not on the rim or inside. I haven't tested it yet,,,, I'll have to do that & report back.

jasonklass
01-14-2006, 15:41
I painted my supercat, but only on the sides/bottom,, not on the rim or inside. I haven't tested it yet,,,, I'll have to do that & report back.

I thought about doing that-only painting the outside. I think that would be ok. But since it didn't improve the heat output or priming time I can't see the point. It's purely cosmentic. Let me know what you find anyway.

rhjanes
01-14-2006, 19:45
you would need a high-heat paint.

betic4lyf
01-14-2006, 20:22
the outside would be bad, it would radiate heat out. see blackbody law. alternatively, it would look wildly badass