PDA

View Full Version : Zpacks Goose Down Hoodie or Beanie?

Rybir
10-28-2016, 09:07
Hello!

I am so close to finally starting the Arizona Trail. Six months in the making. I am getting out there late so I will see temperatures occasionally dip below freezing at night. I have very little experience in these kinds of conditions and wanted to get some final input.

At 29 degrees will a Zpacks Down Hoodie be well worth the investment... or will a beanie do the job?

Here is what I have:

Tarptent Stratospire 1
Zpacks 10 degree sleeping bag
Western Mountaineering Flash Hoody (also I was thinking if need be I just throw the hoody on)

Rybir
10-28-2016, 09:07
Ah, and I also have a Neoair Xlite.

Just Bill
10-28-2016, 09:10
I prefer synthetic insulation for headwear... don't have to worry about any sweat or body oils getting into your down. And if it's really cold you can wear it if needed around camp without worrying about getting moisture in it.

That said... about or barely freezing I'd probably be fine with a beanie, a fleece hat, and a buff or two

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 09:12
I have found that around freezing temps that a beanie and my buff were sufficient. I have not tried the down hoodie but I am in the market for a ski mask as I did find one night at really high elevation to be a little chilly for me...that is more because I start off sleeping cold anyway. I was fine during the night.

Rybir
I prefer synthetic insulation for headwear... don't have to worry about any sweat or body oils getting into your down. And if it's really cold you can wear it if needed around camp without worrying about getting moisture in it.

That said... about or barely freezing I'd probably be fine with a beanie, a fleece hat, and a buff or two

Cool, this is what I was thinking: http://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/merino-watch-cap.html

Rybir
I have found that around freezing temps that a beanie and my buff were sufficient. I have not tried the down hoodie but I am in the market for a ski mask as I did find one night at really high elevation to be a little chilly for me...that is more because I start off sleeping cold anyway. I was fine during the night.

My bad, I am still a noob (soon to change)...but what do you mean by a buff?

egilbe
10-28-2016, 09:15
My bad, I am still a noob (soon to change)...but what do you mean by a buff?

Neck gaiter. Buff is a brand name

Rybir
10-28-2016, 09:18
Neck gaiter. Buff is a brand name

So this: https://www.amazon.com/Buff-Original-Headband-Earl-Grey/dp/B00F4J42X8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477660662&sr=8-1&keywords=buff+neck+gaiter

chknfngrs
10-28-2016, 09:24
There a wool one I own and it's a versatile piece

Just Bill
10-28-2016, 09:38
Cool, this is what I was thinking: http://shop.outlier.nyc/shop/retail/merino-watch-cap.html

Well that is quite fashionable... but just a plain old fleece hat or combo fleece balaclava.
https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=fleece+hat&ir=q%3Afleece+hat&page=1

Bunch of different stuff here... for $60 you could get a hat, neck gaiter, buff, and a balaclava.

Venchka
10-28-2016, 09:41
Too many pictures and too much money for a watch cap.
I also like wool. Thrift store? Consignment shop? Walmart? 'Tis the season when such things sell fast.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Bill
10-28-2016, 09:45

I like having a couple of different pieces with me- the other thing with a stretchy neck gaiter/buff is that you can wrap it over a few layers to hold it all in place.
If you have long hair, wear a beanie (baselayer weight hat) with a fleece, etc... they tend to want to spin off your head as you sleep. So having a stretchy buff/neck gaiter can help tie them all together.

If you're in deep winter, you may want an actual neoprene face mask so it's easier/warmer to breathe through. But when it's not crazy cold you can just breathe through a buff or stretch fleece and then sun it for a bit (or keep it in your pocket) to chase out any frost buildup from the night before. That and you have multiple layers for getting going in the morning or setting up camp at night that allow you to regulate your temperature much easier. Being able to peel off your headgear in layers as you and the day warm up is something you can't do with a wham-bam deep freeze hood. It's either cold enough to wear it or it's not.

Venchka
10-28-2016, 09:46
Wind proof fleece works very well 24/7. For $20 this is a winner.
http://m.llbean.com/product.html?skCatId=38066&skCatId=38066&page=adults-wind-challenger-fleece-hat?feat=watch%20cap-srm_rrbottom&llbdrd=http%3A%2F%2Fm.llbean.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fs kCatId%3Dwatch%2520cap#38066
Wayne

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 09:48
Too many pictures and too much money for a watch cap.
I also like wool. Thrift store? Consignment shop? Walmart? 'Tis the season when such things sell fast.
Wayne

Despite living in Wyoming, where 10 months of the year is winter, I can't find a decent ski mask/balaclava to save my life. My issue is that I have a tiny head...and anything designed for an adult simply swamps me. Guess I'll have to get to crocheting my own!

Rybir
10-28-2016, 09:54

I like having a couple of different pieces with me- the other thing with a stretchy neck gaiter/buff is that you can wrap it over a few layers to hold it all in place.
If you have long hair, wear a beanie (baselayer weight hat) with a fleece, etc... they tend to want to spin off your head as you sleep. So having a stretchy buff/neck gaiter can help tie them all together.

If you're in deep winter, you may want an actual neoprene face mask so it's easier/warmer to breathe through. But when it's not crazy cold you can just breathe through a buff or stretch fleece and then sun it for a bit (or keep it in your pocket) to chase out any frost buildup from the night before. That and you have multiple layers for getting going in the morning or setting up camp at night that allow you to regulate your temperature much easier. Being able to peel off your headgear in layers as you and the day warm up is something you can't do with a wham-bam deep freeze hood. It's either cold enough to wear it or it's not.

That is a good point on the neck gaiter. I think I'm going to do a beanie (fleece or wool) and neck gaiter set up for versatility. I will, afterall, be in Arizona. I think once I get through northern region the concerning regions will be higher passes in the mid-state and south. But at least I will be hiking with autumn.

Rybir
10-28-2016, 09:54
Also, if I am getting worked by the cold I can throw on my down hoodie.

Hikingjim
10-28-2016, 09:57
I use this little 1 oz cheap hat. Got it for $9 I think at a retailer
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/micro-dome-OM5792.html?cgid=All%20Hats&dwvar_OM5792_variationColor=010#start=2

perfect for sleeping around freezing and ideal for hiking in 20-40f temps

If it's going to be quite cold I'll add whatever else.... basic neck warmer, or balaclava, or sometimes I just bring my hooded down jacket for camp in colder temps, and in that case I won't need to add anything to the hat

Lyle
10-28-2016, 10:08
For 29 degrees, a down hood would definitely be overkill.

I have found, through use, that I much prefer a knit style hat, either wool or acrylic. Fleece hats hold the moisture and cause forehead chapping - at least for me. The knit hats do allow more air circulation, and thus the moisture is more easily dissipated. This is especially true if you also wear the hat during the day.

If you will not be wearing the hat all day, then it probably would not be a significant issue.

Also, back when I did a lot of winter hiking, I preferred a scarf to a neck gaiter - more versatile. You can loosen it to allow some ventilation or wrap it tightly to get max effect, easy to pull up loosely over your face - a gaiter remains tighter than I like when pulled up in this fashion. Relatively short, light wool scarf was great.

Venchka
10-28-2016, 10:10
Despite living in Wyoming, where 10 months of the year is winter, I can't find a decent ski mask/balaclava to save my life. My issue is that I have a tiny head...and anything designed for an adult simply swamps me. Guess I'll have to get to crocheting my own!
Interesting. Never thought of that. LL BEAN's children's department might have something.
Ages ago I bought base layer stretch full head masks in silk and polypropylene. They may not exist anymore. Lightbulb: Hunting camo gear. Hunters on tv cover their heads and faces. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop.
Wayne

DuneElliot
10-28-2016, 10:14
Interesting. Never thought of that. LL BEAN's children's department might have something.
Ages ago I bought base layer stretch full head masks in silk and polypropylene. They may not exist anymore. Lightbulb: Hunting camo gear. Hunters on tv cover their heads and faces. Cabelas, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro Shop.
Wayne

I'm going to keep looking. I should have checked the sports store last weekend when I was in a different town. Since I have such a small head I always want to be able to try things on first.

slbirdnerd
10-28-2016, 11:59
I have a Zpacks down hood to go with my Zpacks down bag... I'm a very cold sleeper and did wear it part of a night this fall--I know I'll like having it for winter, though. I can only add that I think everything Zpacks makes is worth the money, just a question of how often you'll use it.

If you want a similar hood in synthetic, Enlightened Equipment has them ready to ship. I believe it weighs about the same as the Zpacks hood.

Dogwood
10-28-2016, 12:14
Beanie will work. don't forget if you have hoods on other apparel you can layer the beanie underneath. a simple $1 bandana can be added folded around your ears or also layered under/over the beanie. No need to spend much money. If you want a used but clean merino beanie send me your address in a pm. I have 7 or 8 of them. don't need them all. if it finally gets you out hiking i'm willing to help. free to you as a gift. enjoy your hike.

Sandy of PA
10-28-2016, 12:24
This lady has also used a Z-packs down hood, below 40. Above 40 a fleece beanie of my own design, above 60 a buff to block light coming thru my Z-packs Solplex. When not using the Buff to block light it is my pillow case so my face doesn't stick to my plastic inflatable pillow.

poolskaterx
10-28-2016, 18:09
I am a cold sleeper and I go out in sub 30 degree weather for fun. I have found that a beanie coupled with a really light head sock pilled over it and down over your head (like what you wear in a helmet) to hold the beanie in place when sleeping works great; weighs about an ounce and can be had for about 2 bucks or less 36734

theinfamousj
10-28-2016, 18:50
I have a small head. I found the ideal fleece earband (children's size) at a ski resort once and have guarded it with my life ever since.

That said, the Mountain Hardware MicroDome is a hat that fits my child size head. I got mine at REI in one of their vendor clearance tubs. I highly recommend it. :)

theinfamousj
10-28-2016, 18:51
errr... not REI. Trail Days. Thanks autocorrect?

saltysack
10-29-2016, 08:50
I use this little 1 oz cheap hat. Got it for $9 I think at a retailer
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/micro-dome-OM5792.html?cgid=All%20Hats&dwvar_OM5792_variationColor=010#start=2

perfect for sleeping around freezing and ideal for hiking in 20-40f temps

If it's going to be quite cold I'll add whatever else.... basic neck warmer, or balaclava, or sometimes I just bring my hooded down jacket for camp in colder temps, and in that case I won't need to add anything to the hat

Micro dome is the only beenie that fits me well...cheap, warm and light......no brainer.

Rybir
10-29-2016, 08:52
Beanie will work. don't forget if you have hoods on other apparel you can layer the beanie underneath. a simple $1 bandana can be added folded around your ears or also layered under/over the beanie. No need to spend much money. If you want a used but clean merino beanie send me your address in a pm. I have 7 or 8 of them. don't need them all. if it finally gets you out hiking i'm willing to help. free to you as a gift. enjoy your hike.

Thank you Dogwood. I appreciate it but I'll grab a new one. I'll use it so much and I haven't gotten a new beanie in YEARS. And yeah, I feel like I am just making it out there in time, albeit late. But after 6 months of planning and uncertainty, it IS happening. If all goes well in the beginning I will be camping in the base of the Grand Canyon by November 12th. Unreal. Can't wait. Thanks for all the info over the months!

Rybir
10-29-2016, 08:59
For the record, I went with this (on sale): https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/893722/smartwool-nts-250-pattern-neck-gaiter

And I am pretty sure I will compliment it with a beanie. Keep it simple and versatile. I almost wasn't going to do anything but then realize nights out there will be long...

Rybir
10-29-2016, 09:00
Also, Zpacks have these new possum gloves that seem cool. Picked up a pair of those. They run a little small so size up.

MuddyWaters
10-29-2016, 09:47
Beanie works down to 30s usually
Below freezing, down hood is really good

Comes in very handy to heat body up if damp and cold after hiking in rain all day or such with temps in 40s even. You heat up faster.

The goosefeet hood really has a useful temp range of 25-30 for sleeping. Below 20, its not enough. Common to go to sleep and wake up with head sweating and have to remove it if temps arent cold enough. Hoods are a bit of a pain like this.

Another reason why below 20 is breakpoint for using a good bag

But it all depends. When my body has been really warm in a good bag, ive slept with head out the face hole in upper 20s, completely uncovered, ice in hair, and not been cold. Stuck head out because too warm in bag. So to an extent, what you need for head depends on rest of body as well, if thats marginal, you need more for head.

Rybir
10-29-2016, 09:56
Beanie works down to 30s usually
Below freezing, down hood is really good

Comes in very handy to heat body up if damp and cold after hiking in rain all day or such with temps in 40s even. You heat up faster.

The goosefeet hood really has a useful temp range of 25-30 for sleeping. Below 20, its not enough. Common to go to sleep and wake up with head sweating and have to remove it if temps arent cold enough. Hoods are a bit of a pain like this.

Another reason why below 20 is breakpoint for using a good bag

But it all depends. When my body has been really warm in a good bag, ive slept with head out the face hole in upper 20s, completely uncovered, ice in hair, and not been cold. Stuck head out because too warm in bag.

Interesting... I predict I will see averages in 30's and 40's, but some nights in 20's.. so for those I went with a Smartwool neck gaiter and a Wigwam Wool Beanie (USA made and $12 on Amazon Prime).