PDA

View Full Version : Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek

JZS50
10-28-2016, 12:56
About 17 miles but not familiar with this section/trail condition, is it 'doable' in 2 days without pounding it hard?

Uncle Joe
10-28-2016, 13:08
Yes, it's doable in 2 days. There are some climbs so be aware. Roughly 1k' out of Unicoi, another 1100 or so up Tray then Kelly Knob later which I found more strenuous than Tray.

ldsailor
10-28-2016, 14:36
I did it in one day in April. If you have your "legs," one or two days should be no problem.

soumodeler
10-28-2016, 15:08
Easily doable in 2 days. I like the Cheese Factory campsite but that is probably too early on day 1 to camp. Tray Shelter has some good spots.

-Rush-
10-30-2016, 11:19
Easily doable in 2 days. I like the Cheese Factory campsite but that is probably too early on day 1 to camp. Tray Shelter has some good spots. I suggest pushing up to Tray Mountain Shelter. I've camped at Cheese Factory and it wasn't worth it. Car noise and road access sucks for safety and other reasons. I also suggest pushing over Kelly Knob to Powell Mountain. There's a great campsite up there, but make sure you've got water. I've had flows on top of Kelly Knob, but they are not reliable.

Tundracamper
10-30-2016, 14:32
My 16 year old daughter and I left Dick's Creek on the Friday before Labor Day at noon - this was her first big hiking trip. We arrived at Unicoi around 5 pm the next day. We stopped at several locations to take photos. My brother-in-law did this same section as a day hike, when the days were longer. There are several pretty steep climbs, at least going south. Be sure to check out the ATHiker app for water availability.

SawnieRobertson
10-31-2016, 14:17
In my mid sixties and certainly never truly fit, I made it through snow in 2 days, going south, which is better.