PDA

View Full Version : Smart phone

squeezebox
10-29-2016, 10:28
So I finally got a smart phone. An Iphone 6s if that means anything in particular. I know it's a frequent question. So I'm thinking of an external battery. Which one do you think I should get? Also are there any particular apps that you like? Weather, hiking, cycling, general stuff?
Thanks for your smart opinions!!

rocketsocks
10-29-2016, 10:54
I just use NOAA, NWS for weather, I did have "weather bug" for a while but as the name suggest it was to buggie for me...glitches!

egilbe
10-29-2016, 10:55
Gaia gps app is pretty cool. Solitaire, Kndle app to read books. Compass, flashlight app, facebook to post all your selfies and make your fat friends jealous that they are glued to the couch.

Puddlefish
10-29-2016, 11:32
Specific to the trail. Guthook app is amazing, and the GPS function even works in airplane mode.

The website ATweather.org is excellent for figuring out the weather further along the trail. It's far easier than using the location mode on your phone, which might take you to the weather for the nearest town, or the the weather station behind you. I know when I was hiking the trail, I seldom knew the name of the town or even what state I was in at times.

importman77
10-29-2016, 14:44
Specific to the trail. Guthook app is amazing, and the GPS function even works in airplane mode.

The website ATweather.org is excellent for figuring out the weather further along the trail. It's far easier than using the location mode on your phone, which might take you to the weather for the nearest town, or the the weather station behind you. I know when I was hiking the trail, I seldom knew the name of the town or even what state I was in at times.

+1 For Guthook's guide. It is my favorite app, hands down.

soumodeler
10-29-2016, 14:55
Get the Guthook app and buy the sections you will be hiking. If you are thru hiking there is a discount for all of the maps. I load mine with all the photos and maps for the section I will be on prior to leaving to go hiking. Highly accurate with the GPS and uses very little battery. I put my phone (6S as well) on airplane mode and low power mode and it will last for 2-3 days using it for photos, videos, maps, and a little reading at night.

Bookmark atweather.org and atdist.com for when you have cell service.

I also have Sky Map on my phone for astronomy. Very cool app.

As for battery, I have an Anker e3 10000mAh external pack at 8oz. It will charge my phone at least 3 times before I have to recharge the battery pack itself. I also have a smaller Jackery 3,000mAh pack that will give me a single charge and is 1/3 the weight. Some of the new Anker batteries have QuickCharge input (not output, iPhone cannot use it, but won't hurt the phone either) so you can charge the battery pack very quickly or top it off while you are at a restaurant or store. Very handy if thru hiking.

Christoph
10-30-2016, 09:53
I also have an Ankor 10000ma battery. It charges my Droid Maxx about 5 times from dead and (so far) has been very reliable. Think I got it on Amazon for 20-25 bucks. I didn't use any apps, but on my next attempt, I'm going to use the .pdf version of AWOL's guide to save a little weight since I'm carrying my phone anyway. For weather, everyone else was talking about it so I never really had to go online. If you're sectioning without a lot of people around, that may be a little harder though.

jjozgrunt
10-30-2016, 16:37
Any of the Anker battery packs, just decide on the size, based on your use.

I have the AWOL guide as a PDF, Guthooks AT app, and the weather app for the AT. Its a android app and I don't know if it's available for iphones. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.atweather2&hl=en

StubbleJumper
10-30-2016, 17:20
These days, a smartphone is a no-brainer. You get a ridiculous amount of functionality for about a half-pound of weight (phone + charger). I don't hike trails that have a dedicated app, but on my end-to-end of the HRP this year, I used the following functions/apps:

1) Communications: text, e-mails, voicecalls to contact family back home, other hikers and businesses along the trail

2) Weather - Weather Underground application

3) Navigation - AlpineQuest application with maps stored on the phone and used the phone's integrated compass, altimeter and GPS (I also carried a compass and paper maps covering a limited trail corridor)

4) Surfing - when you are in town and need some local info or if you just want to read your home town's newspaper online

5) Stargazing - I use google's SkyMap app to identify constellations in areas which are dark enough, have no tree canopy and when it's not overcast

6) Books - I had a copy of my guidebook stored in my phone, which is a much lighter option than paper (I am a glutton for punishment, so I also carried a Kobo e-reader)

7) Music - using the free Pulsar app and MP3s stored in the phone, I sometimes like to listen to some tunes in bed before falling asleep

Overall, carrying a smartphone and an e-reader has enabled me to drop a couple of pounds of pack weight by not carrying paper novels or guidebooks. It's also made navigation a snap. As a bonus, I no longer seek out libraries in trail towns because the phone provides me surfing and newspapers (this is a shame because some of the libraries are quite nice, like in Silverton Colorado, or Richmond VT).

Personally, I don't carry a spare battery, but I do carefully manage my phone's battery level by turning it off when it's not being actively used (ie, >95% of the time). As I get closer to my next town stop, I tend to be a little more cavalier about using it because I know a recharge is imminent.

Wise Old Owl
10-30-2016, 18:38
Squeezebox It's a new phone and I have used Iphone and Samsung so maybe you don't need a battery but if you do...

I have an Anker e3 10000mAh external pack at 8oz.

Wiki
10-31-2016, 07:14
I use a 22000mah Limefuel external brick battery. It's heavy but I never find myself without power for my devices which is important to me.

as for apps. Guthook for sure.

ScareBear
10-31-2016, 08:40
For a battery, I prefer the RAVPower 10000mah with Ismart tech. It senses the diff. between phones and adjusts the output accordingly. $20. Charges my LG3 4 times from dead.

I use Shutter's AT Weather app for planning and RadarNow! for instant weather with radar and forecast.

+2 for Guthook's AT Guide.

I shut the phone down completely when I am hiking and only power it on when hiking if I want to check distance to something with Guthook's and GPS or look at weather radar. At camp, I turn it on if there is reception to update texts, emails, etc...

The 10000mah charger lasts me a week, at least...YMMV

Wiki
10-31-2016, 08:45
I shut the phone down completely when I am hiking and only power it on when hiking if I want to check distance to something with Guthook's and GPS or look at weather radar. At camp, I turn it on if there is reception to update texts, emails, etc..

I can second this, there's no reason to waste battery when your hiking. I use a separate device for music/audio books .

soumodeler
10-31-2016, 09:32
Most current phones, when placed in airplane and/or low power mode, will use very little battery just sitting there. My iPhone 6s uses about 5% of the battery per day when placed in airplane mode and turning on low power mode.

If you are using your phone for the camera as well, waiting for the phone to turn on every time you wanted to take a picture would be annoying. Not worth the minimal power savings.