PDA

View Full Version : Need some schooling on sleeping mats.

sydneywaffa
10-29-2016, 20:55
My main question is what r value should I be looking for. Currently considering the static v UL, evolite, xlite, and neoair venture. The r values are aprx 1.3, 2.1, 4.5(?), and 1.8. All of these are aprx 2 inches which is what I'm comfortable with sleeping on. Being a side sleeper I need the thicker mat to keep my bony hi[s from sinking into the floor. Any suggestions or insightful words?

sydneywaffa
10-29-2016, 20:59
Forgot to add that while I enjoyed the xlite its a bit too pricey for me as I'm on a pretty tight budget.

sethd513
10-29-2016, 21:05
The higher the r value the more options you'll have in the long run. Adding say a zlite sol under your air mattress adds 2.6r to your mat. I'd much rather have 7.1r for winter then 3.9r with two pads. Summers can have a chill when you least expect it. Go for the highest value you can affors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theinfamousj
10-29-2016, 21:11
I sleep cold, even in the summer, so I seek the highest R value that I can tote/afford.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

colorado_rob
10-29-2016, 21:16
Except for in the dead of winter, anything above R3 to 3.5 or so is wasted ounces better spent on the sleeping bag.

Franco
10-29-2016, 21:32
Thermarest does have a suggested temperature range for each mat but, just like with sleeping bags, it works best if you have a point of reference.
So if ,say, the chart tells you that a mat is good to 40f but you are cold at 45f on that, well you know how to read the rest of those charts.
Might help to know that an R4 mat does offer twice as much insulation as an R2.

bigcranky
10-31-2016, 08:29
Is this for a thru-hike? A higher R-value is more important that most folks realize, as a lot of heat can be sucked out of your body into the ground.

My wife is very happy with her XTherm even in the summer. It's very expensive, yes. But it's comfortable to sleep on, and usable year-round on the AT.

The older Prolite Thermarest models are also pretty warm, though less comfortable (and less expensive, of course).

Trying to have it all -- light weight, comfortable, and warm -- is going to cost a bit. :(

Lyle
10-31-2016, 09:36
I would go with a moderate, R3 or so inflatable, then for the colder times just add a cheap blue closed cell pad. More versatile and you don't need to carry the extra weight of a true "winter" pad. Additionally, you can pull the closed cell pad out to sit on for breaks or around camp without worrying about puncturing it or getting it wet.

JC13
10-31-2016, 09:59
Check Massdrop, they have the insulated v2 from Klymit for $59.99, only 20 available this run though. R-value of 4.4 and weighs 16.9 ounces

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-klymit-static-v-ultralight

HooKooDooKu
10-31-2016, 11:41
Forgot to add that while I enjoyed the xlite its a bit too pricey for me as I'm on a pretty tight budget.
Don't count out the xlite... not if it has everything you need compared to the rest...

One of the ways to over-spend on gear is to buy something that is 'sub-prime', only to find yourself buying the 'prime' a few years later... or worst, never willing to buy the 'prime' in the future, because you've already invested a chunk of change in the 'sub-prime' item.

Let me give you an example assuming you want to purchase a Large size pad (BTW, I recommend a large pad unless you have some over-riding reason to stick with a small or regular. I sometimes sleep on my back or stomach, and when I do, a standard size pad leaves my arms falling off the pad... something that I found extremely annoying with a thick pad):

Based on the full retail price of size large, three of the pads you've looked at are:
~$190 NeoAir xlite
~$140 EvoLite
~$ 90 NeoAir Venture

The xlite is 38% lighter, 50% higher R value, and only 35% more in cost.
So if you hope to ever buy an xlite, it makes little sense to spend the money now EvoLite. You would eventually wind up spending $330 and only ever use the xlite.

So the NeoAir Venture sounds a whole lot better since it is only half the cost of the xlite. But it's also nearly twice the weight and half the R value. Buy the Venture and you will likely find yourself upgrading to something better sooner than later. That means you still wind up buying the xlite, and now you've spent $280 and still only use th xlite.

So the thing that makes much better sense is to spend "time" (rather than money) to constantly be on the look-out for a sale. If nothing else, REI has it's semi-annual sale where you can get one item at 25% off (this is how I got the xlite), or occasionally find a 'seconds' or other clearance sale.

saltysack
10-31-2016, 12:27
Don't count out the xlite... not if it has everything you need compared to the rest...

One of the ways to over-spend on gear is to buy something that is 'sub-prime', only to find yourself buying the 'prime' a few years later... or worst, never willing to buy the 'prime' in the future, because you've already invested a chunk of change in the 'sub-prime' item.

Let me give you an example assuming you want to purchase a Large size pad (BTW, I recommend a large pad unless you have some over-riding reason to stick with a small or regular. I sometimes sleep on my back or stomach, and when I do, a standard size pad leaves my arms falling off the pad... something that I found extremely annoying with a thick pad):

Based on the full retail price of size large, three of the pads you've looked at are:
~$190 NeoAir xlite
~$140 EvoLite
~$ 90 NeoAir Venture

The xlite is 38% lighter, 50% higher R value, and only 35% more in cost.
So if you hope to ever buy an xlite, it makes little sense to spend the money now EvoLite. You would eventually wind up spending $330 and only ever use the xlite.

So the NeoAir Venture sounds a whole lot better since it is only half the cost of the xlite. But it's also nearly twice the weight and half the R value. Buy the Venture and you will likely find yourself upgrading to something better sooner than later. That means you still wind up buying the xlite, and now you've spent $280 and still only use th xlite.

So the thing that makes much better sense is to spend "time" (rather than money) to constantly be on the look-out for a sale. If nothing else, REI has it's semi-annual sale where you can get one item at 25% off (this is how I got the xlite), or occasionally find a 'seconds' or other clearance sale.

Well said!!!! From a guy who did exactly what you said!!! Started with a zlite and pro lite plus and now have an xtherm and an xlite.....great pads...now the cut down zlite has been down graded to the back pad for my GG Gorilla and my sit pad/pups bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
10-31-2016, 12:31
If you don't want to break the bank, I would recommend thermarest prolite plus as a good option for 3 season use
https://www.rei.com/product/881573/therm-a-rest-prolite-plus-sleeping-pad

20 oz for the regular size, packs pretty small, and r value 3.4 is quite good for anything but winter.
It's thicker than the thermarest prolite, making it warmer and more comfortable to sleep on

Hikingjim
10-31-2016, 12:35
I agree that people often upgrade if they start with a mid-range pad, but if you keep it in good shape, people will always buy it from you in the future if you want to upgrade
200 for a pad can seem like a lot if you're buying a ton of gear all at once

Just Bill
10-31-2016, 13:15
My main question is what r value should I be looking for. Currently considering the static v UL, evolite, xlite, and neoair venture. The r values are aprx 1.3, 2.1, 4.5(?), and 1.8. All of these are aprx 2 inches which is what I'm comfortable with sleeping on. Being a side sleeper I need the thicker mat to keep my bony hi[s from sinking into the floor. Any suggestions or insightful words?

As other's have mentioned; in summer you could get away with R1.5-R2. But being from Canada, likely looking at three-season travel outside American summers and mentioning being on a tight budget... not much point in buying twice.

So I would consider R3 as a minimum.
You also mentioned thickness, which pretty well relegates you to an air pad of some sort.

In budget air pads with good R-value Klymit pads going to be your better option unless you care nothing for weight (which at some point you will, so again... not much point in buying twice).
https://www.rei.com/product/893594/klymit-static-v-lite-insulated-sleeping-pad
If you can find a version of the insulated Static V series that will be your cheapest bet... can be found on massdrop or on sale as others mentioned at very good prices.

Otherwise it's just a matter of shopping for a bargain or looking for used gear.

The only other option is a pure air pad (for comfort) with a foam pad underneath(for insulation). The only real advantage might be cost/being able to leave the foam home in high summer.
The disadvantage is bulk.

Hikingjim
10-31-2016, 13:20
I didn't notice you were Canadian. But the reason my fiance got a prolite plus is because it's simply easy to just get it at MEC. Ordering from the states and paying shipping and our horrible exchange right now isn't worthwhile.
MEC will take anything back if it doesn't meet your needs or the mat leaks, so I get things there if they are comparable (sometimes they just aren't and I have to order elsewhere)

HooKooDooKu
10-31-2016, 13:24
... if you keep it in good shape, people will always buy it from you in the future if you want to upgrade...
That's not something you can "depend" on... especially when you're talking about 'sub-prime' gear.

For starters, you never know when something is going to come along and greatly devalue your gear... like an improvement in next years model, or something entirely new that comes along.

Second of all, you will always find that what you see as the value of your gear (because you know how well it's been cared for) will never match what the market place is going to think it's worth... because buyers are buying an unknown.

I've found it quite amusing when someone tries to sell a piece of used gear, and they are asking something like 20% off of full retail.... and I find that I can buy the exact same piece of gear on clearance some place for like 35% off.

Hikingjim
10-31-2016, 13:31
"sub-prime gear" up here is people with a roots mat from Canadian tire, eh!
I sell all my gear from the main retailer for a decent value. Or it just goes in the "backpacking with friends" pile.

I have noticed the same thing with people putting their used gear up for sale at 80-90% of value. Some if it actually sells.
One example of this is zpacks giving you only $50 off packs that they label as "used, dirty". Surprised that people want to buy an UL item for $275 that is dirty and has been used by an unknown person.

I have an XLITE that I use hiking and I bought a used prolite plus XL for canoeing to get longer life out of the xlite.

bogeygaff
11-02-2016, 21:49
Like you I'm a side sleeper. To keep my hip from bottoming out on the ground, I cut about 2 feet off an old foam mat that I place between the pad and the ground where my hip is. I can also use the foam as a sit pad if needed.

sydneywaffa
11-02-2016, 23:20
"sub-prime gear" up here is people with a roots mat from Canadian tire, eh!
I sell all my gear from the main retailer for a decent value. Or it just goes in the "backpacking with friends" pile.

I have noticed the same thing with people putting their used gear up for sale at 80-90% of value. Some if it actually sells.
One example of this is zpacks giving you only $50 off packs that they label as "used, dirty". Surprised that people want to buy an UL item for $275 that is dirty and has been used by an unknown person.

I have an XLITE that I use hiking and I bought a used prolite plus XL for canoeing to get longer life out of the xlite.

Shoutout to the roots foam mat. I have one of those fat ****s for winter camping. Pretty warm imo, not too comfortable.

Odd Man Out
11-02-2016, 23:38
I have an original static V. Used it last fall when the temps dropped lower than expected (probably 30's). I got a bit cold. For three season use in mountains I would get something warmer.

Time Zone
11-03-2016, 23:35
I have an original static V. Used it last fall when the temps dropped lower than expected (probably 30's). I got a bit cold. For three season use in mountains I would get something warmer.
How low do you think you could go with the Static V alone? I have the V2, and a Ridgerest. Combo for colder weather, but I wonder how low I could go with the V2 alone, saving 1 lb and a lot of bulk on the OS of my pack.

egilbe
11-04-2016, 05:20
Isnt the V2 insulated? Something like an R-Value of 4? That alone should get you down into the 20's, I would think. Van always augment it with a torso pad or a piece of blue foam pad.

Time Zone
11-04-2016, 06:41
Isnt the V2 insulated? Something like an R-Value of 4? That alone should get you down into the 20's, I would think. Van always augment it with a torso pad or a piece of blue foam pad.

Not really. R-value is 1.3:
http://www.klymit.com/static-v2.html

Now, I think the hope/expectation is that one's sleeping bag, say, would fill in the deep grooves of the mat, adding some insulative value to the "system." But the points of contact (the peaks, if you will) would still be uninsulated, and of course a synthetic bag would be unlikely to fill in the grooves/valleys, since so often that insulation is in the form of a batting, rather than loose fill like down.

egilbe
11-04-2016, 08:21
Ah, I see. There is a V2 that's insulated. But not all are.

Secondmouse
11-04-2016, 10:05
Except for in the dead of winter, anything above R3 to 3.5 or so is wasted ounces better spent on the sleeping bag.

sorry, going to disagree a bit, Rob...

a mat insulates you from the ground, not the air, and I have gotten cold sleeping on a Neo Air Trekker (R3.0) in early spring with overnight temps around 40*.

the ground in the spring is not the same as the ground in the fall...

Secondmouse
11-04-2016, 10:21
and if I could edit post #25, I would add that I've been comfortable with a Static V2 (R1.3?) in early fall when a sudden cold snap left frost on the tent. again, the ground in the spring is not the same as the ground in the fall...

so to answer the OP, I think the Klymit Insulated Static V Lite, R4.4, 72" x 23" x 2.5", 19.6oz for $85 is an excellent starting point...