PDA

View Full Version : Android app to check for texts.

SkeeterPee
10-30-2016, 00:36
does anyone know of an app that would take you out of airplane mode, check for text messages and then put you back into airplane mode and alert you to the new messages?

I am thinking that could be useful to be able to save battery and still be connected. I know when I am backpacking I partly enjoy it because the office can't reach me, but sometimes it would very helpful to coworkers if they could.

MtDoraDave
10-30-2016, 08:07
It only takes a few seconds to turn airplane mode off. Just take it out of airplane mode periodically to check for messages or to make facebook updates or whatever.

When I go out for more than an overnighter, I bring a spare battery or two. Lighter and cheaper than the rechargers - but I'm still using the Galaxy S4. Many of the new phones don't have replaceable batteries - one of the reasons I didn't switch to Iphone.

H I T C H
10-30-2016, 08:51
Does turning your phone off and back on periodically burn more battery than leaving it in airplane mode or battery saving mode?

I have always just left my phone off and then turned it on when I needed it.

<shrug>

SkeeterPee
10-30-2016, 09:30
I also use it as my camera so I take it out and take pictures in airplane mode. I do turn off over night.

Leo L.
10-30-2016, 10:43
You may try it out on your specific phone model, usually it takes more energy to completely switch off the phone in the evening and reboot it next morning, than to keep it in sleep mode overnight.
In addition to airplane mode, make sure all air connections (BT, Wifi, NFC etc.) are set to off.
Regarding GPS, if you don't track the whole path, I think it comes cheaper to set it off and just turn it on every now and then when you really need a GPS location.

Hikingjim
10-30-2016, 12:37
going out of airplane mode to check texts and/or voicemail for a couple minutes is not going to be a battery issue.
My phone lasts (5-7 days) in airplane mode (and turned off at night) for pictures, kindle app, text/phone checking, map app usage. I have a small battery charger, but rarely have to use it