PDA

View Full Version : App for sending GPS position?

Leo L.
10-31-2016, 11:43
My friend and me got an invitation for a 24hr hiking challenge. This is not a competition, there is no chip, no timing or similar, its just a challenge against yourself. There will be phone signal the whole length.
It would make sense for our wifes to know something about our progress. Its not about emergency cases (thats covered elsewhere), just to help their curiosity.
We wouldn't like to buy something (like a SPOT or similar) just for this purpose.
Now I'm looking for some smartphone app that will get our position at intervals and send a message. Would be nice if the position was translated into KML format, so they just need to click it to open Google Earth with the position indicated (both our loved ones have better skills elsewhere than in the computer/smartphone world).

I'm quite sure such an app exists and sombody could point it out to me?

ChuckT
10-31-2016, 11:47
Have you looked at FitBit? I think their App let's you share your progress, therefore your position?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ADVStrom14
10-31-2016, 11:48
My friend and me got an invitation for a 24hr hiking challenge. This is not a competition, there is no chip, no timing or similar, its just a challenge against yourself. There will be phone signal the whole length.
It would make sense for our wifes to know something about our progress. Its not about emergency cases (thats covered elsewhere), just to help their curiosity.
We wouldn't like to buy something (like a SPOT or similar) just for this purpose.
Now I'm looking for some smartphone app that will get our position at intervals and send a message. Would be nice if the position was translated into KML format, so they just need to click it to open Google Earth with the position indicated (both our loved ones have better skills elsewhere than in the computer/smartphone world).

I'm quite sure such an app exists and sombody could point it out to me?
My husband and I use the "Friend locator" app on our phones (i have a droid and he an iphone). Its simple and you can click the check in button to send your GPS location that shows on their map. I do not know if it translates to GPS files for those devices or not but it gives coordinates and stuff and they can see you moving as long as you have it set to share your location. Its free too.

Jes

ADVStrom14
10-31-2016, 11:50
It's from life 360

Jes

Leo L.
10-31-2016, 12:04
Have you looked at FitBit? I think their App let's you share your progress, therefore your position?

Looks promising!
And its even Austrian <G>

@ADVStrom14:
Will give it a look, thanks!

tarditi
10-31-2016, 13:40
I use "where's my droid" - family & friends can sms a code (pre-arranged by you in settings) to get information about heading, location, even a map of where you are.

https://wmdcommander.appspot.com/features.html

Greenlight
10-31-2016, 14:08
If you have an iPhone, all you have to do is share your location with "find friends" It's free.

UofDoboe
11-03-2016, 09:21
Virtually everyone on the trail this year had the Guthooks app (alongside AWOL, I wouldn't use it instead of AWOL), which provides a map and elevation profile for the trail along with hundreds of waypoints with details and user comments on each. I believe the app does have the capability of sharing your location to an email list (though I confess I never used this feature if it does in fact do so).

I did at the beginning of my thru this year use the Gaia GPS app on my iphone which will also share GPS coordinates via email. I had AT&T and cell coverage was so infrequent that I gave up trying to share my location nightly. Verizon users had better coverage, so you might be able to pull daily check-ins off that way but there are still countless times you won't have a signal and so can't send out your location.

Leo L.
11-03-2016, 09:28
As described, this is not on the AT, and I'd prefer using something thats already there on the phone. Something really simple, hopefully without having to push any button (conditions might be freezing cold, raining/snowin/stormy, pitchblack dark, ehausted, etc.).
Will try to use "Where's your droid", hopefully during a test hike maybe next week.

Thanks for all the hints!

Rain Man
11-03-2016, 09:31
Virtually everyone on the trail this year had the Guthooks app (alongside AWOL, I wouldn't use it instead of AWOL), which provides a map and elevation profile for the trail along with hundreds of waypoints with details and user comments on each. I believe the app does have the capability of sharing your location to an email list (though I confess I never used this feature if it does in fact do so).

I've used it for my wife. Works fine. The OP doesn't say where his/her hiker challenge is, but all these smartphone apps require cell service and often there is no cell service out on remote trails.

SPOT, of course, works off satellite service, not cell service.

ARambler
11-03-2016, 09:33

I did at the beginning of my thru this year use the Gaia GPS app on my iphone which will also share GPS coordinates via email. I had AT&T and cell coverage was so infrequent that I gave up trying to share my location nightly. Verizon users had better coverage, so you might be able to pull daily check-ins off that way but there are still countless times you won't have a signal and so can't send out your location.
the Guthook feature that I have used requires you to manually send the email. You might also want an app to save your track for analysis later, but there would be similar lag issues with publishing routes using Gaia (that I have used). I recommend something else.

Leo L.
11-03-2016, 09:59
The OP doesn't say where his/her hiker challenge is, but all these smartphone apps require cell service and often there is no cell service out on remote trails.

Sorry for not having given this info:
The challenge will take place in Austria, in high winter (end of January), in flat country, on paved bicycle roads, gravel roads and developed footpaths, very little cross country.
Finding the track will not be a problem (as we'll be two of 2000 members), knowing the progress and handing it over to our loved ones as easy as possible is the task here.
Cell service will be present the whole length, although 1/3rd will be across the border into the neighbouring country and short messages will be far cheaper than full Internet access with email and data transfer.

Tennessee Viking
11-03-2016, 12:32
I use Ramblr. Easy import into Google Earth.

But there is AllTrails.

You can get GPS watches

bogeygaff
11-04-2016, 22:01
I use UTM Mailer for iPhone. App will allow to send email or text message with your current position.

stoffa
11-06-2016, 20:16
If you have Google maps installed:

Enter Google Maps and find the location you want, then press and hold on the area of the map which you wish to send. The Google maps red “pin” icon will drop onto themap, with the address below. Tap the address and the “save” or “share” options will become available.

You can turn on GPS to find your location and drop your pin there. This works without a data connection. If you choose to share via text message, again you do not need a data connection, but only a cell signal. You can add a message to the link that shows location.

1azarus
11-06-2016, 21:04
The maprika app lets you have friends and share locations... You can make gps synched maps from scans as well.

Leo L.
11-07-2016, 04:10
If you have Google maps installed:

Thanks, I have and usually heavily use GE/GM, but in this specific case I'm afraid it wont work.
We'll wear gloves for most of the time and being cold, wet, hungry and exhausted beyond anything, the one thing we will not do is regularily taking off the gloves and perform any smartphone task.

I think, Where is my Android will cover my needs quite perfect.
We have the typical "slushy" November weather here now, perfect for a test run over the weekend.

couscous
11-07-2016, 21:07
If you have a smart phone that can run 24 hours with the GPS and cellular connection active, that is impressive.
Glympse might be an option - Share GPS location with friends & family by Glympse Inc.https://appsto.re/us/AUdSt.i

Leo L.
11-08-2016, 03:05
Thanks for the hint!
Yes, I've used my Sony Xperia Z3 compact in tracking mode (running Backcountry Navigator) for three days in a row until the battery got low, this would sum up to little more than 24hrs of real usage
Will carry a powerbank though.