PDA

View Full Version : Rei no longer selling CS UL2?

Maizeandblue9
10-31-2016, 19:20
Was looking at tents the other day and saw the BAY CS UL2 was marked down to $319. Almost pulled the trigger but thought I'd wait a bit. Well went back online today and they are no longer selling it online.

Did anyone else notice this? They still have the MTN Glo version though.

Wonder if a new version is coming out this year and just clearing inventory maybe, just a guess though.

Maizeandblue9
10-31-2016, 19:22
BA...stupid auto spell

nsherry61
10-31-2016, 19:52
If REI is no longer listing the CS UL2, you can bet it IS because a new one is coming out soon.

nsherry61
10-31-2016, 19:54
It looks like the new replacement is the CS HV UL2 (https://www.rei.com/product/110209/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul-2-tent).

HooKooDooKu
10-31-2016, 20:26
I like that they are getting rid of the extra cross pole and the rainbow doors... but surprised that the specs are only about 1oz lighter... I like what I see, but as I already own the CS UL2, I don't see me spending the money to up grade.

Opps, my bad... the still have the extra cross pole, just couldn't see it in the 1st image in the link.

Dogwood
10-31-2016, 21:14
It looks like the new replacement is the CS HV UL2 (https://www.rei.com/product/110209/big-agnes-copper-spur-hv-ul-2-tent).

WOW, a 2 lb 12 oz(minimum) 2p CS....whatever else.... is $450 at REI?

Dogwood
10-31-2016, 21:17
That makes the $599 21 0z 2p ZP Duplex comparatively a bargain?

Teacher & Snacktime
11-01-2016, 05:09
That makes the $599 21 0z 2p ZP Duplex comparatively a bargain??

I'm just learning about UL tents. Are these two comparable?

jeffmeh
11-01-2016, 06:08
?

I'm just learning about UL tents. Are these two comparable?

They are both quite expensive, but other than that they are very different. The BA is freestanding, double wall, with a silicon and polyurethane nylon outer, requires its own poles, at 44 oz. The ZPacks Duplex is not freestanding, single wall, made of cuben fiber, uses trekking poles, at 21 oz.

Personally, the BA price point at that weight doesn't do it for me. There are great options between $250 and $300 in silnylon from Tarptent and Lightheart. If money were no object, I would jump to cuben. Again, personal opinion, as I know many who love their BA shelters.

Maizeandblue9
11-01-2016, 07:05

It makes me wonder if they're about to stop selling the FC UL2 also because they have the HV version out for it too if that is the same reason the dropped the CS

Mr. Bumpy
11-01-2016, 08:00
If you are interested, I have a lightly used CS2 for sale.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/121539-FS-Big-Agnes-CS-UL2-with-footprint?p=2101199&highlight=#post2101199

nsherry61
11-01-2016, 09:25
It makes me wonder if they're about to stop selling the FC UL2 also because they have the HV version out . . .
Wow. I'd assumed they had already. Yeah, I'd bet on it!

Maineiac64
11-01-2016, 12:37
Is the REI quarter dome 2 similar?

HooKooDooKu
11-01-2016, 12:40
WOW, a 2 lb 12 oz(minimum) 2p CS....whatever else.... is $450 at REI?
Took a 2nd look at the specs... and I'm surprised given that what at first appears to be an up-grade is really looking like a down-grade (at a higher price point at that).
(If you want to see for your self, check out BA's own spec pages: HVUL2 (https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurHVUL2) CSUL2 (https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/copperspurul2))

The trail weight (and other weights) have decreased by 1oz (2lb 13oz ==> 2lb 12oz).
The packed size is longer and skinnier (5.5"x17.5" ==> 4"x19.5", so the new pole segments are LONGER)
Head height has decreased by 2" (42" ==> 40")
Foot height has decreased by 7" (22" ==> 15")
Length has been reduced by 2" (90" ==> 88")

While they still quote a 29sqft floor area, the new tent has actually lost over 1/2sqft.
(Using their own numbers for tent dimensions... numbers that are lies to begin with because it quotes where the poles hit the floor, not usable inside space... the area is decreasing from 29.38 sqft ==> 28.71 sqft.)

The only improvements I see:
The doors are no longer the rainbow doors (but rather than one continuous D-door zipper, it's a pair of zippers).
The poles are a simpler X design rather than the more complex double Y design. (Well, almost X, it's actually double V's at different angles)
Don't know if this is a plus or a minus (in bad weather), but the new pole design is very flexible. If you watch the BA demo video, they are bouncing the poles by about a foot by pushing on the X point where the poles all meet.

HooKooDooKu
11-01-2016, 12:45
Is the REI quarter dome 2 similar?
Yes...
... of course when you pay attention to details, there are very distinct differences, but then you could say there are about as many differences between the two different Copper Spurs now as there is comparing the Copper Spur to the REI quarter dome.

nsherry61
11-01-2016, 13:50
Took a 2nd look at the specs... and I'm surprised given that what at first appears to be an up-grade is really looking like a down-grade (at a higher price point at that).
Owning both a BA CS UL2 and an REI QD2, here are my thoughts.

The CS UL2 and the QD2 are almost identical. The REI vestibules are slightly smaller, the REI rain fly doesn't come quite as close to the ground, the REI poles are ALL connected, whereas the CS2 cross pole is not connected to the rest. The REI provides access to the front vent from inside, you have to go outside the tent to adjust the vent on the CS2. I prefer the CS2 slightly over the REI QD2. Although the CS2 is listed as being longer, they are both actually the same functional length (being 6'4", that matters to me).

As for the new HV "downgrade" I'll disagree with HooKooDooKu. Without mulling over the printed specs, but looking at the images of the tent:
1) the HV has a lot more head and shoulder space than the older CS2. Sure, the peak may be lower by two inches, but, the top of the tent is much flatter, giving more overall head and shoulder room even if the little bit of higher peak space has been eliminated.
2) the pole structure of the new HV looks like it may be a fair bit stouter in high winds than the older version, although, the newer version may also have more vertical sides, thus needed a stouter pole structure to perform the same.
3) The specs may suggest that the foot of the new tent has less room, but the picture sure paints a different picture . . . sorta speak.

Bang for your money? Get the REI QD2.

JumpMaster Blaster
11-02-2016, 14:30
I like that they are getting rid of the extra cross pole and the rainbow doors... but surprised that the specs are only about 1oz lighter... I like what I see, but as I already own the CS UL2, I don't see me spending the money to up grade.

Opps, my bad... the still have the extra cross pole, just couldn't see it in the 1st image in the link.

You know, I never really liked the rainbow doors. I have them on my CS UL1 and I hate having to get the door flap in the mud, etc when getting in & out. Seems like a good idea.