PDA

View Full Version : NOBO vs SOBO, why so few SOBO hikers?

timhines
01-14-2006, 16:34
It seems like the rate of NOBOs vs SOBOs is about 80%/20% in favor of NOBO.

Any particular reason? Just preference?

Max Power
01-14-2006, 16:57
Sobo seems a little anticlimactic. Sure it's just as amazing to backpack the trip, but the view from Springer doesn't compare to Katahdin.

Jack Tarlin
01-14-2006, 17:02
Most folks enjoy hiking in the southern spring and don't want to wait til June to start walking; most folks don't want to deal with the horrible early insect season in Northern New England; most folks don't want to be hiking til late November or early December which is when SOBOs finish. NOBOs also get to finish in early fall which means they do Vernmont and New Hampshire in August, the best time to be there, and get to hike Maine in September, also the best time to hike there.

Mouse
01-14-2006, 17:06
There is at least one long thread on this. Basically, SOBOS must wait until June to start due to snow on Katahdin, then hike late into the fall and winter. With fewer SOBOs hiking, that means fewer hostels and other services open as well as hiking in dear season and assorted other problems.

The flip side is much more solitude.

Peaks
01-14-2006, 17:18
Why go north? Because finishing anywhere other than Katahdin is anti-climatic.

Nean
01-14-2006, 18:23
While I do enjoy hearing the unbias opinions, I'll provide the answer w/ a question. Why is such a small percentage of the population northbounders.;)

timhines
01-14-2006, 19:10
If i ever get to do the hike, i'll most likely want to do it SoBo. I leave near the bottom of the trail in NC. Seems like it would be easier for me logistically.

however those are some good reasons to go NoBo.

TJ aka Teej
01-14-2006, 21:11
Most southbounders seem (to me) to be students who have had to wait until the end of the school year, second-time ATers, or just plain contrary folks who want to be different.

RITBlake
01-14-2006, 21:53

you have no idea what you're talking about

weary
01-14-2006, 22:15
It seems like the rate of NOBOs vs SOBOs is about 80%/20% in favor of NOBO.

Any particular reason? Just preference?
Blackflies

Peaks
01-15-2006, 10:34

I think I do. While I did finish one leg of my AT thru-hike at Katahdin, I actually finished the entire trail at Rockfish Gap, without fanfare, and with just self satisfaction. While both days are memorable to me, I certainly didn't feel the emotions that I felt on Katahdin.

wacocelt
01-15-2006, 10:49
While NoBos get the 'big pay-off' ending at Katahdin, SoBo's get thier desert before dinner and can have a 'failed Thru hike still haveing seen the promise land. Which, in my opinion, is why Sobo's suffer so much derision from NoBo's and the trail community at large.
I have started in Maine twice and in Georgia twice and have receieved much more enjoyment from my SoBo starts. Mind you I haven't completed the entire trail, yet. Even with the bugs it's hard to beat summer time in Maine.

Nean
01-15-2006, 12:36
On a nice day Katahdin is beautiful! Dayhikers get a thrill climbing it too. What if you summit on a cloudy day?
I have finished atop both mountains and it makes no difference. My experiences tell me the feelings are the same and the background scene changes have little to do with it. I'd have to flip a coin to tell you which one I prefered.

The Desperado
01-15-2006, 13:16
Flipping a coin ? Well, that figures! If you ask most thru's why? The answer you most often get is boiled down to schedule. School schedule, work schedule etc Both hikes have their good & not so, and in the end it's not about the direction anyway.

DLANOIE
01-15-2006, 13:44
im traveling sobo this june mostly because i live only 4 hours from katahdin.

the other reason is because i have hiked katahdin already.

also i will get the hard part out of the way first.

i prefer the solitude over a crowd of hikers any day rain or shine.

the bugs do suck though!

Lumberjack
01-15-2006, 13:56
Over used trails suck too?!

khaynie
01-15-2006, 14:02
I think I do. While I did finish one leg of my AT thru-hike at Katahdin, I actually finished the entire trail at Rockfish Gap, without fanfare, and with just self satisfaction. While both days are memorable to me, I certainly didn't feel the emotions that I felt on Katahdin.

My wife and I started from Katahdin on 6/3/2005 on a most glorious day. The views were incredible; not a cloud in the sky. While the bugs weren't exactly welcoming, they were merely a nusicance in the grand scheme of things.

We never ran into problems with services being closed, i.e. hostels or outfitters. In fact, we almost always had them to ourselves - rather our group the JHP and Team America. Wouldn't you prefer not to fight over shelter and hostel space?

I think it's not only illogical but inconceivable to pin an entire hike on the last day. The following is cliche' but approrpriate: It's not the begginning or the end, but the journey that matters.

Finally, SOBO's are way cooler than NOBO's!!!

Tudor
01-15-2006, 15:30
Most southbounders seem (to me) to be students who have had to wait until the end of the school year, second-time ATers, or just plain contrary folks who want to be different.

Teej,

I'll take option 3 for $1,000!! Nah, I'm not one to do things just to be different, but I'm doing my thru SOBO b/c it feels more like migrating south for the winter. :sun

Nean
01-15-2006, 16:22
Finally, SOBO's are way cooler than NOBO's!!!

Sometimes it seems that way, living here at the southern end. I've had Nobos ask for things not offered on many occasions, never a sobo. Then again I've heard just the opposite from hostel owners up North!
My 1st hike was sobo. Why? It was May when I found out there was a AT, July when I could start. One artical interested me, one book convinced me. Never crossed my mind to go north and I never considered a difference. Btw, my 97 nobo was more solitary than the late start (last of the 15 or so of us in 89)sobo. Direction, point B, paint color either set you free or make you a prisoner. The most wonderful thing about that is the choice is yours.

hammock engineer
01-15-2006, 23:35
Teej,

I'm doing my thru SOBO b/c it feels more like migrating south for the winter. :sun

I'll have to use that one when people ask me where I am going and why.

Go SOBO, all the cool kids are doing it.

Nean
01-15-2006, 23:48
There is an innate understanding that sobo is special and nobos are jealous:banana

smokymtnsteve
01-16-2006, 00:01
all dem NOBOs iz jist running with a herd....

rickb
01-16-2006, 14:38

Not for a true SOBO. :jump

Besides, this country has plenty of mountains that are far more spectacular than Katahdin.

None require that you walk in 2,000 Miles. Some you can drive up.

Not in Marlborough, of course.

Speaking just for myself, I think a private moment on Springer in the cold, and with my own thoughts as to the moment and to my future was a far more fitting climax to 2,000 miles than a mob scene with hoots and hollers and 10-year old day hikers and their grandmothers lollying about.

Rick B

Nean
01-16-2006, 14:52
Thank you for explaining post 21 Rick!

UCONNMike
01-18-2006, 16:50
agreed........

Jack Tarlin
01-18-2006, 16:53
Curious.....I tease SOBO's all the time, but I think everyone realizes I'm only kidding. The only people who malign Southbounders or the Southbound experience and are serious about it are folks who've never Southbounded.

Honestly, folks, it doesn't matter which way you go, or where you end up. Your trip is way more important than your destination.

betic4lyf
01-19-2006, 00:54
I thought that NOBO's wanted a challenge. SOBO is downhill the whole way:)

longben
01-24-2006, 15:29
North with the spring or South with the fall, pick your poison. I like the crunchy leaves.

SOBO 2006, leaving June 1st or 2nd

Fiddler
01-24-2006, 15:54
When I am finally able to attempt a thru it will be NOBO. I was hoping for this year but for various reasons I am now hoping for '07. I chose NOBO because with the earlier start I feel I will not have to be in as much a hurry as starting at Katahdin and trying to beat winter to Springer. If I succeed, and I KNOW I will, the following year (or maybe 2) I will attempt to go SOBO. All this, of course, depends on me still being around to do it.