PDA

View Full Version : Pot help

A-Train
01-31-2003, 13:24
Hey all,
I'm gonna be using a soda can alcohol stove on my hike and I was wnodering what type of pot is a good fit for it? I'm looking for something reasonably light and inexpensive. I've got everything at this point except the pot.
thanks so much
A-Train

slabfoot
01-31-2003, 13:53
i love my walmart greasepot equipped with a windscreen/potsupport by kevinS and used with a blue foam cozy. for plans check the lightweight backpacker make your own section and sgt. rocks hiking hq.

slabfoot
01-31-2003, 13:53
i love my walmart greasepot equipped with a windscreen/potsupport by kevinS and used with a blue foam cozy. for plans check the lightweight backpacker make your own section and sgt. rocks hiking hq.

slabfoot
01-31-2003, 13:55
ps. dont click twice!

chris
01-31-2003, 15:17
I have a 1.5 L MSR blacklite pot that I've gotten a lot of mileage out of. Not as light as a greasepot or titanium. My only gripe is that the lid does not fit very snuggly. With an alcohol stove, one wants as much seal on the lid as one can get. That being said, it works just fine with my alcohol stove and pot support (cut up coffee can). If I was in the market for a new pot, I'd seriously consider a greasepot or a titanium one.

rickb
01-31-2003, 18:41
I bought a grease pot, but will never use it.

The lip of the grease pot folds inwards. This leaves about a 1/8" area under the fold that will collect small amounts of food, but can never be cleaned.

My imagination had all sorts of things growing under there on residual cheese sauce.

Rick B

Minerva
01-31-2003, 18:50
Get a .9liter Evernew Titanium pot. Why skimp on one of the most important pieces of gear, ya gotta eat and you gotta eat out of something light and dependable. This pot will get you through all the AT miles and many more. It's worth the investment. You're a growing young man, you might want the next size up, I think it's 1.3 liter.

Cin

Wander Yonder
01-31-2003, 20:37
I agree with Minerva. I have a .85 liter titanium pot. The lid makes a small plate. I used to carry the .85 liter pot PLUS a 2 liter titanium pot. I NEVER used the 2 liter pot, so finally started leaving it home.

The neat thing about titanium is that you can also cook on the coals of a fire with it if you run out of alcohol. It can take the intense heat without warping, although it will discolor a little.

Moose2001
01-31-2003, 20:48
Minerva's right.. a .9 liter Evernew ti pot is great. Never regreted buying mine (check REI). Then again ATrain.. I've seen you. You might want to go up to the 1.3 liter. I'm sure you'll fill it up!!! :D

Happy
01-31-2003, 23:00
Go to Wal-mart and spend the $7+ for the Grease Pot and never
LOOK BACK.............these things can go multiple thru-hikes !