PDA

View Full Version : Need input on down jackets

importman77
11-01-2016, 13:02
Hello All, I've been wanting a nice down puffer jacket for awhile now and I'm thinking about asking my wife for one for Christmas but I really don't have any good ideas on what brand etc. What I want is something light, puffy and warm. As I've gotten older I'm a lot more cold natured so I want something that will keep me warm. I'd really like to keep it close to $200 if possible. I've done a little looking but I just get confused. I don't really even know the difference between a jacket, a parka or an anorak. I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.

saltysack
11-01-2016, 14:49
I don't think you can go wrong with any Montbell down parka jacket or anorak. I love my UL down parka. the parka has a hood which I find very useful and is warm I don't think I would want a anorak because you can't fully unzip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
11-01-2016, 14:52
Hello All, I've been wanting a nice down puffer jacket for awhile now and I'm thinking about asking my wife for one for Christmas but I really don't have any good ideas on what brand etc. What I want is something light, puffy and warm. As I've gotten older I'm a lot more cold natured so I want something that will keep me warm. I'd really like to keep it close to $200 if possible. I've done a little looking but I just get confused. I don't really even know the difference between a jacket, a parka or an anorak. I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks in advance.

To get good advice you should specify intended uses and expected temperature ranges

soumodeler
11-01-2016, 15:10
I don't think you can go wrong with any Montbell down parka jacket or anorak. I love my UL down parka. the parka has a hood which I find very useful and is warm I don't think I would want a anorak because you can't fully unzip.

+1 on the Montbell down parka. I have the Apline light and any trip under 35 degrees it goes with me. Great jacket.

swisscross
11-01-2016, 15:22
Jacket...no hood
Parka..jacket with hood
Anorak...pull over

What kind of fit do you prefer or need?
I am square with wide hips and a beer belly. Athletic cuts don't fit me well. Well they fit but it limits layering options.
Patty seems square and fits me well but I love my Arcteyx Cerium LT. It is cut much slimmer but it was a gift and a heck of a gift at that.
Lots of good options out these days. More suggestions will come.

chknfngrs
11-01-2016, 15:25
+1 to soumodeler and Swisscross

Mags
11-01-2016, 15:53
Define your use.

Most the current lightweight puffies are 2-3 oz of down fill and are rough equivalent of 200 wt fleece in terms of warmth. Good for three-season hiking on breaks, in camp and to augment your sleeping system.

If you want a winter weight puffy, look for something with 5+ ounces of fill.

Somewhat out of your price range at $239, but the Montbell Frostline has almost 7 oz fill, weighs 17oz (versus ~10oz for a three season puffy) and is a true winter puffy.
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=2001&p_id=2301186&gen_cd=2

cneill13
11-01-2016, 15:59
I got a brand new down jacket off Ebay for $33 delivered. You have to bide your time and buy right before expiration of the auction but it can be done.

If it gets torn or falls apart, who cares, I'll just buy another one. I have had it a year now and it still looks good as new.

There is no reason to spend $200 on a down jacket unless you are just looking to show off.

Carl

saltysack
11-01-2016, 16:04
Jacket...no hood
Parka..jacket with hood
Anorak...pull over

What kind of fit do you prefer or need?
I am square with wide hips and a beer belly. Athletic cuts don't fit me well. Well they fit but it limits layering options.
Patty seems square and fits me well but I love my Arcteyx Cerium LT. It is cut much slimmer but it was a gift and a heck of a gift at that.
Lots of good options out these days. More suggestions will come.

Good point the montbell are more athletic cut which I prefer as they fit ME better and less boxy as I wear outside of hiking and looks nice.

Water Rat
11-01-2016, 16:56
I've been looking at the Montbell Ex Light Down Anorak. Does anyone know if Montbell participates in Black Friday sales, or any other holiday sales?

Sarcasm the elf
11-01-2016, 17:43
I got a brand new down jacket off Ebay for $33 delivered. You have to bide your time and buy right before expiration of the auction but it can be done.

If it gets torn or falls apart, who cares, I'll just buy another one. I have had it a year now and it still looks good as new.

There is no reason to spend $200 on a down jacket unless you are just looking to show off.

Carl

I want to second this. I have two down jackets right now, one is an Uber-expensive Begman's of norway puffy made for subzero temps that I bought on clearance at Neptune Mountaineering, the other is a used North Face puffy jacket (the kind that lots of highschool kids wore around like it was a uniform back in the 1990's) that I bought for $50 at a consignment shop. I end up choosing the beatup north face puffy probably 19 times out of 20 because winter hiking can be tough on gear especially if a campfire is involved and I'm not worried about staining, scratching or putting hiles in an old $50 jacket. Meanwhile the expensive jacket stays put except for the one or two trips a year a when I anticipate -10 degree weather.

(Technically three down jackets , One is a lightweight land's end brand jacket which I simply don't recommend since it's no warmer than a cheap fleece.)

Studlintsean
11-01-2016, 17:47
I've been looking at the Montbell Ex Light Down Anorak. Does anyone know if Montbell participates in Black Friday sales, or any other holiday sales?

Not it that I know if but I was able to get an exlite from backcountry onsale and an Alpinelite on the Web Specials page on the MB website. Definitely check out the web specials page if you have not already.

skylark
11-01-2016, 17:57
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-2016-Winter-men-90-White-Duck-Down-Jacket-men-s-Hooded-Ultra-Light-Down-Jackets/32610369668.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.9gktbM

Water Rat
11-01-2016, 18:10
Not it that I know if but I was able to get an exlite from backcountry onsale and an Alpinelite on the Web Specials page on the MB website. Definitely check out the web specials page if you have not already.

Thanks! I will definitely check the web specials page.

PaulWorksHard
11-01-2016, 23:16
I like this jacket from pategonia https://www.rei.com/product/885090/patagonia-ultralight-down-jacket-mens. Cost me $150, very lightweight and a good insulating layer.

ARambler
11-01-2016, 23:56
Hoods are not very popular, but I'm considering switching to one for extra warmth. At $289 it is out of the OP's range, but has anyone had experience with:
http://featheredfriends.com/feathered-friends-mens-eos-ultralight-down-jacket.html

Cheyou
11-02-2016, 07:02
https://lukesultralite.com/lul-down-jacket

made in the USA. Keep America working .

Thom

chknfngrs
11-02-2016, 07:31
Don't forget OP: In damp, wet and cold weather down is not the best choice. Synthetic insulation is your better option as it will keep you warm when wet.

Maybe it's just me, but the tone of the OP sounds a tad trollish

Secondmouse
11-02-2016, 09:36
Eddie Bauer's First Ascent line of down gear is very well respected though I don't see it get mentioned here much. they are very well made and use 800 fill Stormdown (Dridown) and 20D DWR shell

right now they're having a sale -- http://www.eddiebauer.com/browse/outerwear/men/_/N-276b?previousPage=SCAT&cm_re=mens-_-1_ob_s-_-MenOW_161024&cm_sp=OW-_-m_1-_-MenOW_161024

-Rush-
11-02-2016, 10:04
I've been happy with my Arc'Teryx Thorium AR hoody. You can get them for under $200 if you shop around.

importman77
11-02-2016, 14:12
I want to thank everyone for their input. Now that I know the difference between a jacket, parka and an anorak I've got it narrowed down to two parkas, both by Montbell. I want either the Alpine Light or the Superior. I like the look and the price on the Superior but the specs on the Alpine Light are better, (more fill). I do appreciate all the help. I've been wanting one for awhile now and I'm ready to see if my better half will hook me up with one for Christmas. Again, thank you all for your help.

importman77
11-02-2016, 14:18
Correction: I meant to say it's between the Alpine Light and the Frost Line. The Superior doesn't have as much fill as I'd like. Probably gonna end up going for the Frost Line. Thanks again guys.

ARambler
11-02-2016, 14:43
Correction: I meant to say it's between the Alpine Light and the Frost Line. The Superior doesn't have as much fill as I'd like. Probably gonna end up going for the Frost Line. Thanks again guys.
My first down jacket was by Frostline. Made in America. I can't reveal more.

saltysack
11-02-2016, 14:49

Superior looks similar to the UL version from few years back... I find it's plenty warm when layer over wind and rain shell. Less bulk and weight as a single stand alone piece....mine goes on every hike all year....great pillow also.

Martzy13
11-02-2016, 17:09
Secondmouse: I bought the Eddie Bauer MicroTherm StormDown Hooded Down Jacket (mouthful) as my first puffy. Initially was disappointed in the lack of loft and packability, BUT I have not been cold once while wearing it. Yet to test it down to teens, but pleasantly surprised by performance so far.