PDA

View Full Version : Section hike from I40 Northbound - Questions

BrianOH72
11-01-2016, 16:21
I would like to take about 10 days starting next week (11/6) to hike Northbound starting at I40 just outside of the GSM. I have never been on this part of the AT and was wondering what to expect as far as the trail and water sources? Just trying to get an idea of the type of terrain in which I'll encounter as well as what to expect for low temps at night so that I can bring the proper gear. Any help is greatly appreciated!

soumodeler
11-01-2016, 16:58
Water will be scarce. Pretty much shelters only, maybe a few trickles at other sources. I was out there 2 weeks ago and no rain since then.

Terrain in is not bad at all. 10 days will get you to Erwin easily with an average pace.

Weather is still very mild but check out the forecasts for Hot Springs and subtract about 10 degrees.

BrianOH72
11-02-2016, 18:36
Thanks for the information. Do you think that the water sources at the shelters will be ok?

The Cleaner
11-02-2016, 19:03
I would not count on any water source.I was out just north of Hot Springs on 10-6 and the water at Jerry's Cabin shelter was just a trickle and there has been little rain since then.Going south from there I heard that there was water at Little Laurel shelter and there has been no water until Spring Mtn. shelter for quite a while.The spring below Rich Mtn. firetower is dry so that means no more water till Hot Springs.There is a pond at Mill Ridge about 5 miles north of Hot Springs but I would treat it if you use it.Also there is a "No Campfire" ban from Springer Mtn. all the way to Damascus.

BrianOH72
11-02-2016, 19:19
Any other suggestions for a week or so section hike in an area with better water sources? I'm coming from Ohio so I'm pretty open. Thanks!

Highstepper
11-02-2016, 20:41
I hiked I-40 to Hot Springs 10/10-11.
Groundhog Creek shelter - trickle.
Roaring Fork shelter - streams just north and south had good flow
Walnut Mountain shelter - stream about 1\2 mile south had good flow
Deer Mountain Park shelter - dry

The Cleaner
11-02-2016, 21:04
The area north of Damascus along the Creeper trail and Grayson Highlands has not been as dry as other places south of there.You can take some side trails in the Highlands and see some nice high open country plus the Ponies are something to see.Many shuttles in Damascus,get a ride north and hike back.368033680436805

BrianOH72
11-02-2016, 22:58
How many miles a day do you think the average person could do in a day in this area?

The Cleaner
11-02-2016, 23:08
How many miles a day do you think the average person could do in a day in this area? About as many as you feel like. Hiking south avoids a few big climbs.

Rain Man
11-03-2016, 09:27
How many miles a day do you think the average person could do in a day in this area?

12-15 or so. Maybe less due to fewer daylight hours?

soumodeler
11-03-2016, 12:16
12-15 for sure. Not an overly challenging stretch of trail.

10-K
11-03-2016, 12:20
Just hiked the section between Atkins and Damascus last week. Plenty of water.

BrianOH72
11-07-2016, 08:40
If I started in Atkins what would you suggest as far a shelters to stop at and number of days to get to Damascus? FYI I won't be sleeping in the shelters as I use a hammock. Thanks!

Gambit McCrae
11-07-2016, 10:33
If I started in Atkins what would you suggest as far a shelters to stop at and number of days to get to Damascus? FYI I won't be sleeping in the shelters as I use a hammock. Thanks!

I would stop at one of the shelters in Grayson, or another way to put it would be work harder in the areas north of the Grayson highlands as to be able to slow down and enjoy the area more there.

Hurricane shelter also has tenting / hanging areas right on the trail ( shelter is on side trail) good creek there

Saunders just north of Damascus is a little bit of a walk for water- and side trail for shelter but has an awesome hanging area.

Partnership shelter is right on the road, states no tenting around shelter, and you can order pizza there I believe. I personally wouldn't stay there and when I went thru that section I tented on the mountain top just south of there.

slbirdnerd
11-07-2016, 13:33
Brian, I did some of that section in October (10/9), started at Newfound Gap. Dry, dry, dry! Painter's Branch was dry, Groundhog Creek shelter was nearly dry and may be by now; no one coming SOBO could substantiate any definite water between Max Patch and Hot Springs (even at the shelters, which I've since heard are dry) so I cut my hike short. There was a good running creek just before you ascend Max Patch, that might still be ok. They are in a severe drought, so if you go please try to find out for sure where there IS water, and please don't build any fires; watch your stove very carefully. Maybe call Bluff Mtn Outfitters in Hot Springs to see if they have any good info.

illabelle
11-07-2016, 13:55
I was at Roaring Fork yesterday. Adequate water, but certainly much less than normal.