PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite Mountain Gear WR 2400 vs Zpacks haul or Blast.....

saltysack
11-02-2016, 09:06
After receiving my new GG Gorilla and realizing they made larger and lil heavier I'm thinking about selling and getting a smaller pack. I liked the previous gorilla better as I dont need larger than a true 40l....the new gorilla seems way larger. Lil leary of cuben but have heard good things about Both HMG and Zpacks. I met a guy last year on JMT who was complaining about his new Arc haul falling apart so leaning towards HMG. Thoughts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Water Rat
11-02-2016, 09:23
I can only speak of my experience with the Arc Haul, but I have nothing but rave reviews for it. I think they put a lot of thought and practice into their design. Cuben does require more thought and care than other materials, but I was pleasantly surprised with the durability of my Arc Haul this year. With that, I am not one who abuses my gear. I think my pack is durable enough to see my through years of use as long as I am mindful of how I use it.

I am puzzled - The guy you met, was he trying to carry a lot of weight in his pack? Was it new prior to the JMT? Or was he someone who would abuse gear no matter what brand he might have had at the time? I personally think Zpacks puts out a quality product, but their packs do require the user to practice more care and not try and fit a Buick into them.

I have heard lots of good things about HMG, but their packs just didn't work for me when I began my quest for a new pack.

DuneElliot
11-02-2016, 09:29
How was his Arc Haul falling apart? If you are talking CF, did you mean the Arc Blast? Arc Haul is Dyneema and pretty durable. Any UL pack is going to need at least some care and isn't going to be as indestructible as the heavier packs.

I have put a couple hundred miles on my Arc Haul and it still looks like new, except for one tiny spot in the mesh pocket that was user error with a tent stake! I have dragged that thing through some serious pine boughs/branches/undergrowth and I was a little worried about the upper mesh side pockets...but when I finally took the pack off and looked, nothing, not a hole or a tear anywhere, just a few pine needles.

Others like the CF Arc Blast, but I wanted the added durability of the Haul with the Dyneema for a weight penalty of only a oz or two. While I love my Duplex, I wouldn't want a CF pack even though I'm not hard on gear. The Haul is techincally a 62L but that is including all pockets, the main compartment is about 42L which is about the size you are mentioning you want.

-Rush-
11-02-2016, 09:36
After receiving my new GG Gorilla and realizing they made larger and lil heavier I'm thinking about selling and getting a smaller pack. I liked the previous gorilla better as I dont need larger than a true 40l....the new gorilla seems way larger. Lil leary of cuben but have heard good things about Both HMG and Zpacks. I met a guy last year on JMT who was complaining about his new Arc haul falling apart so leaning towards HMG. Thoughts....

What does the new brain weigh?

saltysack
11-02-2016, 09:43
I've heard great reviews about Zpacks and HMG...I've only bought a few small items from Zpacks but nothing from HMG. The guy I met had an issue with the hip belt but I'm sure they resolved the issue....I can't recall his name but he was a lawyer who lived in New York...[emoji51]. He was not a newbie who was abusing his gear. I might stop by Zpacks as I travel past their location often for work. The haul would probably suit my needs as I'm a lil leery of cuben.

plodalong
11-02-2016, 09:57
My wife and I each have HMG 2400s and have sectioned in CT, MA, NH and ME and will take them when we attempt our thru in '18. We have found them to be pretty darn good! We did make some adjustments to ours and added an extra pouch to a front strap to make our water bottles easier to get at. I think I adapted a zpacks add-on pocket I had and it has made the water much easier to get at. Maybe we are not the most flexible or we have T-rex arms but generally find it a pest to reach back for water on those rear side pockets on most gear we have tried so like them more user friendly up front. We have gotten used to the top load style. I still prefer a compactor liner but since we are "rain finders". My wife likes the extra protection of a pack cover as well since it allows her to the stuff in the outside pockets on rainy days. Again a zpacks add on actually. We have beaten our bags up pretty good and they are like strong and durable. We did notice one area where the outside webbed pocket pulled away from the upper hem on my wife's pack which was odd since she only uses it for soft stuff like extra clothing, bathroom kit, snacks and the like. It may have happened coming down Mt Kinsman when she had to slid the pack down some open rock face as we scrambled down in a monsoon. As far as comfort is concerned, we love them. They are, of course, light. But they also snug in to our backs and feel very secure when negotiating nasty areas. We are not the most agile of hikers and having a pack that is not secure on our backs can became nerve wracking but these feel almost like part of us. My wife is 5 ft tall and since we live near HMG we pulled in to their place in ME and she found the extra small fit her best. We love the zip belt pockets. They hold a lot but not too much, if you know what I mean. I tend to fill what ever space is I have with more crap than I need. This pack has forced me to be more selective and economical and my pack weight as a result is much lower yet I always seem to have enough room. I find the two belt pockets perfect size and water tight as well.

DuneElliot
11-02-2016, 09:59
My only issue with the hip belt, even with the added lumbar pad, was that I could still feel the crossbar of the frame. However, I am the ONLY one who seems to have had this issue and I put it down to the fact that I am a very slender and slightly boney 5'5" and 110# so it was more my body frame/type that was an issue with the pack and not the pack itself. The lumbar pad is a definite addition if you go with the Haul. I modified the belt for my own use and body and have been extremely happy with it ever since.

There are a few things that I would recommend adding on to the Haul for your order; double top straps, mesh upper pockets, hip belt pockets and lumbar pad.

Have you considered the SMD Fusion 2014 version? They still have some in stock for $100. Everyone raves about their carrying ability and for that price I don't think you can go wrong. I bought one "just because" even though I don't really need one...be good to have for friends if they ever want to go.

saltysack
11-02-2016, 10:22
What does the new brain weigh?

3.5 oz..I removed it but don't care for the closure and the x straps....

saltysack
11-02-2016, 11:15
MLD prophet also looks nice but not sure if 11-12 base weight in a frameless is a good idea.....I like the lower wt and price...

Water Rat
11-02-2016, 11:23
Interesting that his hip belt falling apart was the issue. As with any piece of gear, it is possible to get an item that just has funky stitching. Zpacks does have an awesome 1 year warranty, so I am sure the guy was able to get the issue taken care of. Nobody wants to have to go through that on their long-planned hike, but things happen sometimes.

I opted to go with the lumbar pad and am the happier for it. YMMV... I can honestly say I have had no issues with the hip belt.

Definitely stop by Zpacks and get a better feel for their packs. I wouldn't rule them out based on one person's first-hand account. When you are looking at the packs play with them - Check the stitching, the seam sealing, touch the fabric, etc. As you are often in the area, it doesn't cost anything to check them out and get your questions answered. They are a good team and are very straightforward when it comes to answering questions.

Cheyou
11-02-2016, 11:44
http://sectionhiker.com/hyperlight-mountain-gear-3400-southwest-backpack-review/

hope me this helps

Dogwood
11-03-2016, 01:24
MLD prophet also looks nice but not sure if 11-12 base weight in a frameless is a good idea.....I like the lower wt and price...

Base wt and volume doesn't tell the whole story. It's dubious to assume a 11-12 lb base automatically discounts using a frameless pack designed for 25 lb loads. If water logistics, food, and fuel can be dialed in/down something like a MLD Prophet can be fine. The all too common scenario among those going to lower wt hauls is narrowly concentrating on gear wt - rah rah rah - when repeatedly the heaviest category/thing(s) people carrying are consumables! The all too common wt saving trajectory scenario revolves around shopping for more/new gear when it should be could be about what's happening between the ears.

MtDoraDave
11-04-2016, 07:37
On my section hike last March, I was with a bubble of thru's for a few days - 3 of whom had the Hyperlite packs. 2 of them worked for them, in Maine. They said you can order the packs any way you want them - so if you like the model or size that comes with the solid pockets, but you prefer the mesh pockets - they can do that for you.